Pope Francis' edict on baby rapers.

God, the FSM, and everything else.
Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Pope Francis' edict on baby rapers.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:47 pm

Pope cuts penalties for paedophile priests - including one let off with just a lifetime of prayer for abusing five young boys
Daily Fail

The Pope is said to be applying his vision of a 'merciful church' to sex offenders by reducing punishments to weaker sentences, such as a lifetime of prayer and penance.

It has been revealed by church officials that Pope Francis overruled advice given to him by the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith about two priests - allowing them to be punished by a lifetime of prayer.

No turning them over to the police of course.
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Pope Francis' edict on baby rapers.

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:16 pm

Oh no, that would be usurping the power and right of god to punish the holey righteously.

How do they keep track of them fulfilling their sentence? With a prayalyzer and SCAM bracelet?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:13 am

They let God sort them out, duh.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Pope cuts penalties for paedophile priests - including one let off with just a lifetime of prayer for abusing five young boys
Daily Fail

The Pope is said to be applying his vision of a 'merciful church' to sex offenders by reducing punishments to weaker sentences, such as a lifetime of prayer and penance.

It has been revealed by church officials that Pope Francis overruled advice given to him by the Vatican Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith about two priests - allowing them to be punished by a lifetime of prayer.

No turning them over to the police of course.

Of course. With Cardinal Law-unto-himself inhabiting the Vatican, what can we expect? Very disappointing in a Pope for whom I have had some hope.

Until the Church abandons its stupid, crude fundamentalist belief that only males can be priests, and they mustn't have any wives or children to distract them from their duties, there is going to be a certain number of highly non-chaste male priests having sex with one another, and with vulnerable boys and girls when they can get away with it. It looks as if we're headed back to the bad old days. This is not going to end well for the Church. Even the Irish were revolted by the revelations of clerical abuse, and church attendance there dropped off precipitously. But not as precipitously as the number of young men seeking ordination. Well, it'll be cheaper: Fewer churches to maintain, fewer confessions to hear, still fewer priests to hear them. They'll have to adopt a McChurch system, where you make your confession into a microphone from the comfort of your car, and the priest inside hands you your penance when you reach the window.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37 pm

Gord wrote:They let God sort them out, duh.

But god can't punish them if they've already been punished by a secular court. Double jeopardy I suppose.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:11 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote: ... Cardinal Law-unto-himself ...

I had almost forgotten.

New Pope in Rome, new President of the United States.

Maybe a good time to start extradition proceedings?
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:17 am

Scratching my head here - aren't Catholic priests already dedicated to a lifetime of prayer?

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:11 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote: ... Cardinal Law-unto-himself ...

I had almost forgotten.

New Pope in Rome, new President of the United States.

Maybe a good time to start extradition proceedings?

If only we had an extradition treaty with the Vatican. It's part of the Vatican pushmpullyou strategy. They expect to be included in international conferences as a sovereign state, but then when the ordinary relations between sovereign states are suggested, they fall back on being a religion.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:52 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:

But god can't punish them if they've already been punished by a secular court. Double jeopardy I suppose.

Tell it to the Pope, baby.

Poodle wrote:Scratching my head here - aren't Catholic priests already dedicated to a lifetime of prayer?

That or baby raping. It's either one or the other, apparently.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Gord wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:

Tell it to the Pope, baby.

He already knows, that's why he won't turn offenders over to the cops.

Poodle wrote:Scratching my head here - aren't Catholic priests already dedicated to a lifetime of prayer?

That or baby raping. It's either one or the other, apparently.

Francis is a forward-looking Pope - he says they can have both!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:32 pm

It means in a monastery where there are no kiddies.

Kevin Levites
Poster

Postby Kevin Levites » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:42 pm

The pope has a strategy:

Enrollment in the priesthood has been falling off recently, so...he's expecting membership to pick up by allowing the church to be a safe haven for pedophiles.

Hey, any way to help the recruiting.
"I'm allergic to B.S., and I think I need some Benadryl."

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:39 pm

Kevin Levites wrote:The pope has a strategy:

Enrollment in the priesthood has been falling off recently, so...he's expecting membership to pick up by allowing the church to be a safe haven for pedophiles.

Hey, any way to help the recruiting.

Makes sense. To a Pope, even a pedophile is a better priest than a woman.

Kevin Levites
Poster

Postby Kevin Levites » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:00 pm

Actually, I should not have been so flip, and I exhibited a moment of bad taste.

Pedophiles aren't funny, and it's very difficult for me to be rational about them. I was a paramedic for over a decade, and I can tell you that it is very underreported.
"I'm allergic to B.S., and I think I need some Benadryl."

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”