Islam and Mormonism.

God, the FSM, and everything else.
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Islam and Mormonism.

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:00 pm

Anyone else see the similarities?

Joseph Smith was the founder of Mormonism. He was a convicted swindler. He also seemed to have the 'gift of the gab'and was able to make people trust him and believe his lies. These are qualities suitable for both con artists and evangelists, and Smith was both. Mormonism was, when viewed by anyone who has an objective approach, simply a tool for getting Smith more money and more women. His followers paid him money, and his female followers went to bed with him. He was remarkable successful, until he got lynched. Smith also came up with a "holy book" which he claimed was dictated to him by an angel.

Mohammed was very, very much the same. He also started a religion. He also clearly had the gift of the gab, and made both money and lots of sex from his followers. He died rich and with lots of wives. Mohammed also claimed an angel dictated his holy book. Both holy books were a mish mash of total bullshet.

So, was Mohammed also a swindler?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Re: Islam and Mormonism.

Postby Aztexan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:05 pm

They're all the same.
Take a charismatic male. Surround him with henchmen who are too stupid to see they themselves are tools but who will use any tactic to legitimize his agenda. Then rely on general human stupidity. Throw in some rules that they have to follow but you and your little boy's club don't. Lots of rape, usually with minors. Say all this {!#%@} is not up to you but some giant {!#%@} up there and you have a religion. War, power, god, death. The usual.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Postby Paul Anthony » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:34 pm

The founder of Scientology was a science fiction writer who figured out there is more money in religion than in writing novels. Sadly, as an author, I have to admit he was right. Anyone want to join my new church? :evil:
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:16 pm

Paul

I am also someone who writes science fiction, and makes essentially nothing from it. The thing lacking is promotion. You need a publisher who is good at advertising your goods. Religion can be a money earner, but you have to have that gift of the gab, or else you are wasting your time. My new religion will be the Church of Salvation by Sex. Everyone gets to heaven, but the top tiers of heaven go to those who get the most sex.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:25 am

Aztexan wrote:They're all the same.
Take a charismatic male. Surround him with henchmen who are too stupid to see they themselves are tools but who will use any tactic to legitimize his agenda. Then rely on general human stupidity. Throw in some rules that they have to follow but you and your little boy's club don't. Lots of rape, usually with minors. Say all this {!#%@} is not up to you but some giant {!#%@} up there and you have a religion. War, power, god, death. The usual.

Funny thing, that con also ran for POTUS.

ETA And, according to Mormon sources, he wasn't wearing his magic undies when he died...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:36 am

In my opinion, Mohammed was the same as Genghis Khan, but with a smaller empire.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Paul Anthony
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: The other god

Postby Paul Anthony » Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:33 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Paul

I am also someone who writes science fiction, and makes essentially nothing from it. The thing lacking is promotion. You need a publisher who is good at advertising your goods. Religion can be a money earner, but you have to have that gift of the gab, or else you are wasting your time. My new religion will be the Church of Salvation by Sex. Everyone gets to heaven, but the top tiers of heaven go to those who get the most sex.

Will that be based on a lifetime's cumulative sex? I ask, because I'm not getting much lately. :)

As I was writing my very first book, I realized that authors make very little while publishers take the bulk of the revenue. Before I had finished that book I had already established my own publishing company. Alas, the downside to that is I can't complain about my publisher's efforts.
People who say ALWAYS and NEVER are usually wrong, part of the time.
Science answers questions, Philosophy questions answers.
Make sense, not war.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:40 am

I don't see too many similarities between the two religions; but they both claim to be the most accurate version of belief because they got the most recent revelations. This religious modernity was a major selling point for both a their inception.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:53 am

Paul Anthony wrote:
Will that be based on a lifetime's cumulative sex? I ask, because I'm not getting much lately. :)

The greatest rewards will go to those women who have been nice to me. Males have to settle for lesser rewards.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:24 am

Given the current political climate, I consider joining

The First Church of Salvation through Superior Firepower
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:29 pm

To EM

You must put your superior firepower to constructive work for it to mean anything. As the prophet of the Church of Salvation through Sex, I give special dispensation for certain assassinations. If you succeed in knocking off Donald Trump, Assad, Putin, Natanyahu, Mugabe, or any ISIL leader, you ascend to the highest tier of heaven.

Abdul Alhazred
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:50 pm

A certain similarity between all religions, but nothing peculiarly Smith-Muhammad.

With standard brand Christianity there is a bit of misdirection. The founder of the religion is the Apostle Paul not Jesus.

Maybe primitive animism is an exception, and in some cases (for example Judaism) the real origin is lost to history.
Scientists don't know everything, therefore my favorite flavor of stoopidz is true.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:11 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:
Paul Anthony wrote:

The greatest rewards will go to those women who have been nice to me. Males have to settle for lesser rewards.

Oh no... Scott is going to ratchet you up for that. Something `celebrity`, something `nationalism`, something `CAPITALISED`, something … :oldman:

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”