True Love

God, the FSM, and everything else.
johanabrahams

True Love

Postby johanabrahams » Tue May 09, 2017 4:44 pm

Brothers sisters and children

If such exist then what is true Love?

Is it beneficial or just a vague idea . . .maybe one coming from a God?

Can we really know true love and even more . . .can it be lived . . .or is it just an idea which many try to find . . . and never find.

So then . . .if we can find resolution in the quality of Life with it . . .where can we find it.

Maybe God is the answer?

But does He care to answer us?

Love Johan

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Re: True Love

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu May 11, 2017 2:26 am

johanabrahams wrote:Brothers sisters and children. If such exist then what is true Love? Is it beneficial or just a vague idea . . .maybe one coming from a God? Can we really know true love and even more . . .can it be lived . . .or is it just an idea which many try to find . . . and never find. So then . . .if we can find resolution in the quality of Life with it . . .where can we find it. Maybe God is the answer? But does He care to answer us?

Love Johan

No thank you. We already have one Christian troll called Angel, who posts incoherent rubbish about "god" on our forum. We don't need another.

Please also note that this is a science forum where you are required to offer supporting scientific evidence for your claims. As you are posting unsupported religious propaganda you are simply wasting your time and our time.

Poodle
Has More Than 7K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu May 11, 2017 5:11 am

Door to door salespersons. Will we ever see the last of them?

ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu May 11, 2017 8:49 am

Personally, I prefer:

I can't Believe It's Not True LoveTM

- costs much less in the long run.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu May 11, 2017 6:39 pm

johanabrahams wrote:Maybe God is the answer?

Neurotransmitters is the answer.

Science; How Does That Work?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu May 11, 2017 7:26 pm

. . .where can we find it

Welcome to SNL, Johan.

Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri May 12, 2017 1:15 am

The psychology of love is interesting, though. Incredible individual variation. If we look at male/female erotic love, it varies from ho hum to total obsession.

ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 am

Pinker has some cool ideas about Love being the Mutually Assured Destruction of partnership signaling: by declaring (with sincerity) that we will love the other forever and ever no matter what, we show that we are long-term mates: we are truly madly in love if we stay with our spouse even when there is an objectively superior alternative available.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Well, being a victim of true love myself putting it on par with any other para normal experiences....I think it was mostly some kind of biological hormonal thing. Psychologically, I like the explanation that one is "in love" with one's own perception or desire or hopes and dreams that is only represented by the other person.

Only slightly sad to be back to normal. If goddidit...just another reason to speak against him/her/it.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “Belief, Nonbelief, and Philosophy”