What book are you reading?

Share your thoughts on the written word.
brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Re: What book are you reading?

Postby brauneyz » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Gord wrote:Global Warming for Dummies. 8-)

(No. Seriously.)

Gee, I think we have a whole forum here written by them. Could have saved you a few loonies, or twonies, or whatever. :D
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

BrianG
Poster
Custom Title: Patriot

Postby BrianG » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:50 pm

The Doomsday Key by James Rollins.

I love SciFi.
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.

Robert A. Heinlein

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:05 am

brauneyz wrote:

(No. Seriously.)

Gee, I think we have a whole forum here written by them. Could have saved you a few loonies, or twonies, or whatever. :D

$25.99 CDN.

I could have saved 10% if I'd had my Rewards card with me, though. :frown:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

xouper
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby xouper » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:50 am

This one?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:08 pm

xouper wrote:

This one?

No, the one in my hand.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:13 pm

Just finished Little Bee, 2009, by Chris Cleave, and highly recommend it.
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Just finished Paradise Lost by John Milton. If you like religious fiction, fantasy fiction, and epic poetry, I highly recommend it. It's excellent. Basically, it's a Dungeons and Dragons novel written in poetry 300 years before Dungeons and Dragons was invented.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

johnthomas didymus

Postby johnthomas didymus » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:39 am

try Anthony Beevor's STALINGRAD for a realife horror story. you won't get over the book too soon.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:24 am

A-number wrote:"Dethroning Jesus : exposing popular culture's quest to unseat the biblical Christ" :mrgreen: ,....I know you folks don't like this kind of book, so I thought I'd create a balance by loving them, and Oh are they gooody goood :lol: ....

It depends on the book. Some of them make good, true, and accurate points. Others just seem to make stuff up in the same way most conspiracy theory books do.

A-number wrote:Don't you have a local library you could borrow them from :( ?

Library, yes. Books worth borrowing from it, no.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:51 pm

A-number wrote:1/- they beat on Bart Ehrman about "misquoting Jesus..." where he claimed we don't have copies of copies of copies of copies of the bible. And therefore the bible is just bunch of broth. They digged out datas of how many copies we currently have of what, as far as greek vs. armaic I think etc. And as far as I am concerned we're good with what we have. Also they analysed giving specifc examples how the effect of translation really didn't affect the content of the book for the majority of it.

Wait, I have that Bart Ehrman book. He didn't claim we don't have copies of copies of copies of copies, he claimed we DID.

6/- that his tomb was discovered. With this one I absolutely loved the study they did of how popular certain names were and the statistics of their likely use by the common man, clearly showing that the presumed names they found on those tombs are just names. Also, the discoverers performed a DNA study to contend that the supposed Jesus tomb remains did not match those of Mary Magdalene as genetically related and therefore, that proved that 'they were married'!!!!! what bunch of salad! the authors pointed out that all that prove is that they are not relatives. That's it. etc.

Yeah, the DNA they tested can't be attributed to anyone specific anyway. Those reliquaries were just temporary storage; remains were placed in them for about a year, then removed to another location. Each box was likely reused several times, so how can you tell whose remains you're testing?

You need to come down here then :shock: , any book you put your finger on, they will get it for you and even if it's not at the branch where you're at, they'll borrow it from another and will email you when it arrived. Isn't that cool :) ? Just think about it, Michael Shermer is here, so you'll thrive. ...not to mention me, your big biiig Fan :mrgreen: .

I can't cross the border legally. ;)
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:16 pm

Heck no! I never suggest anyone read anything. That would be mind-control! :mrgreen:
#ANDAMOVIE

xouper
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby xouper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:30 am

Gord wrote:
A-number wrote:1/- they beat on Bart Ehrman about "misquoting Jesus..." where he claimed we don't have copies of copies of copies of copies of the bible. And therefore the bible is just bunch of broth. They digged out datas of how many copies we currently have of what, as far as greek vs. armaic I think etc. And as far as I am concerned we're good with what we have. Also they analysed giving specifc examples how the effect of translation really didn't affect the content of the book for the majority of it.

Wait, I have that Bart Ehrman book. He didn't claim we don't have copies of copies of copies of copies, he claimed we DID.

Agreed. That was one Ehrman's main points. I have that one too. Not really anything new in that book, but it is a good introduction and popularization of an area of Bible scholarship called "textual criticism" (which doesn't quite mean what it sounds like).

See for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textual_criticism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textual_criticism#New_Testament

A-number wrote:1/- they beat on Bart Ehrman about "misquoting Jesus..."

. . . And as far as I am concerned we're good with what we have. Also they analysed giving specifc examples how the effect of translation really didn't affect the content of the book for the majority of it.

Ehrman makes a good case refuting that notion. He offers good evidence that the meanings of certain passages have been radically altered between versions.

Here's an example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_Johanneum

And it is not just Ehrman who says this, he is just repeating in his book what mainstream biblical scholarship already knows. So Bock and Wallace are not just taking on Ehrman, they are taking on mainstream biblical scholarship.

Disclaimer: I haven't read Bock and Wallace's book. Maybe I should put it on my list. My local library has a copy.

xouper
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby xouper » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:30 am

I just finished reading this one:

Currently reading this one:

Next up:

All three are available through Canadian Interlibrary Loan, if your local library doesn't have it.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 pm

A-number wrote:
Gord wrote:Heck no! I never suggest anyone read anything. That would be mind-control! :mrgreen:

I was hoping you'd make an exception for me :? , I figured idiots are easy to handle when it comes to mind control :P . Could you please :( ? I'll be nice and easy :blink:.

You want me to suggest reading the book you want me to suggest reading? :unsure: Couldn't you just read it without me suggesting it, since you know the title and author??

I was saying if he does say that, then that would cause his entire book to crumble since according to him, the bible is beyond any recovery, it is so corrupt because of those missing copies of copies of even copies of the bible not to mention the copyists/ translators' slappiness.

His argument is actually that the copies of copies of copies have many differences, both mistakes in translations and emendations to say what the author wanted it to say rather than what it actually did. There are so many versions, and none of them are "the original," that we can't possibly know exactly what "the original" said. If you [I don't mean you specifically, just the generic 'you'] pick one version, you're just picking your own favourite.

Also I said that the cofins you are talking about are the initial ones where they first put their dead for one full year to allow proper decompsition of the body to take place, then they put the osuaries in the ones that presumably have been discovered by Cameron and gang. So what you said does not apply.

I saw a show on archeology where they discussed it. That's where I got my info. I can't verify any of the information I presented, but I think I expressed their opinion accurately.
#ANDAMOVIE

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Postby rrichar911 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:32 pm

I have only read one book in my life, the Bible. I read it over and over again, and then thump it.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:26 am

rrichar911 wrote:I have only read one book in my life, the Bible. I read it over and over again, and then thump it.

Which one?
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:30 am

A-number wrote:Was it aired on Discovery Channel I think?

No, I think I saw it on Vision TV, which calls itself "Canada's Multifaith, Multicultural Television Network."

...thinking at first that the title "misquoting Jesus" was literal.

I think that was his literal point -- that people over the years have (accidentally or deliberately) misquoted Jesus, claiming he said what suits the person doing the quoting.

Hmm. Maybe he meant more than that. I can't remember much in particular about his book anymore, I moved on to other non-fiction right away after reading it.
#ANDAMOVIE

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Mon May 03, 2010 9:38 pm

I'm reading "Bob the Angry Flower: Dog Killer" by Stephen Notley. I like it. It's pretty good.

Speculater
Poster
Custom Title: Elite Skeptic

Postby Speculater » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:33 pm

Just finished "{!#%@} My Dad Says" and am half way through "The Age of Reason"

I'm also digging the Dawkins read audio book of "On the Origins of Species" in my car to and from work.
"Refuse to express a passion, and it dies." William James 1890

ShadowSot
Poster
Custom Title: Monkey

Postby ShadowSot » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:59 pm

Got a bunch of books over the weekend... and am currently working through them.
Just finished Ghost of a Chance by Simon Green.
He's a bad author, but sometimes bad is good.

Reading through Stuff of Legends by Ian Gibson, pokes fun at pop fantasy stories, like Conan.
Got Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan lined up, listened to Demon Haunted World and Pale Blue Dot on audio book.
"The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools".

– Thucydides

HUMOR

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:52 am

ShadowSot wrote:Reading through Stuff of Legends by Ian Gibson, pokes fun at pop fantasy stories, like Conan.

What's wrong with Conan? It's a near-modern look at the older view of how "prehistory" was viewed.
#ANDAMOVIE

Squishua
Regular Poster
Custom Title: Invisible Man

Postby Squishua » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:06 pm

I read it several years ago, but still recommend "The Mythmaker: Paul and the Invention of Christianity." I found it lurking in with the bargain books at Barnes & Noble.
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
- H. L. Mencken

Postby 10111 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 pm

Almost finished reading, "Body of 'Christ': The End Of The World As You Know It"

OMG... I have to read this again.
Last edited by 10111 on Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:20 pm

The English Is Coming by Leslie Dunton-Downer. Its about how our language is taking over the world.

Long For This World by Jonathan Weiner. How mortality is being pushed back and may be defeated.

Forbes Greatest Business Stories of All Time by Daniel Gross. A collection uv short historiez uv business leaderz.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:03 pm

Just finished reading Falkenberg's Legion. 'Twas ok. Not bad, not great.

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n1/n9323.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Falkenbergs-Legio ... 128&sr=1-1

Now I'm reading Darwin's Bastards. It's ok. The book's back cover gave me the impression that this would be about life that's not like our own. It's not quite like that. I would actually describe the stories as alternate Earths, but that would describe most of futuristic sci fi.

http://www.amazon.com/Darwins-Bastards- ... 998&sr=1-1

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:11 pm

Gord wrote:
ShadowSot wrote:Reading through Stuff of Legends by Ian Gibson, pokes fun at pop fantasy stories, like Conan.

What's wrong with Conan? It's a near-modern look at the older view of how "prehistory" was viewed.

I read all the Robert E. Howard Conan books, when I was a kid. I just found, last year, a collection of Conan stories by Howard that weren't published before. I didn't finish it, the racism was overwhelming. Thinking back, the original books were mildly racist, but I didn't see it at the time.

Blacksamwell
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Buckfutter

Postby Blacksamwell » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:09 pm

Top Dead Center, The Best of Kevin Cameron From Cycle World Magazine

I love the gear-head's perspective on the motorcycle industry and motorcycle racing. In some of Cameron's pieces from the 70's you can clearly see influences of Hunter S. Thompson.

And if you're the type that likes to pour over exploded diagrams of complex mechanisms, you'll like Vic Willoughby's Classic Motorcycle Engines, A New Perspective on 20 Outstanding Designs.

I like "discovering" that some of the most cutting edge engine tech being marketed today was originally conceived and perfected decades ago. The old classics often were pushing 100 bhp/liter and today's latest aren't doing much better.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:43 pm

It comes down to the limit of efficiency. I can't think of how to word it properly, right now. But say you take a big old, Carter era sedan, big car, big motor. Put it next to a small modern car with a small motor. The big car uses less rpms to gain speed than the small car, and less energy to keep velocity.... Jo can probably explain this better. I do know that many "fuel efficient" cars don't get much better fuel mileage than my Dodge Diesel, on the highway, or one can pull over a thousand bhp out of the engine, almost 170 bph per liter. However, Cummins uses old, tried and true technology, for the most part. I don't know what that would be in torque. I get over 500 ft lbs., right now with around 300 hp.

I know you were talking about motorcycles, and this isn't an automotive thread. I was remembering something I read, and it boils down to e=mc2, without mass you don't have energy. So if you wanted a bike to go faster, you have to have a bigger motor, but as I understand it, we've probably reached the limit of efficiency, per liter, in engines that run off of petroleum.

If I have this wrong, I don't mind the correction.

Gregory

Postby Gregory » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:22 am

hey....
now a days i am reading one of my favorite book and that is....
Harry potter
i just love it

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:20 pm

The Potter series was great. I just finished Winds of the South by Ben Walker, a great historical novel, 2008.
Voltairian individualist on the lunatic fringe of the radical center.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:15 pm

Comparative Mythology by Jaan Puhvel.

He uses words that aren't in my dictionaries. :wah: I have to come down and Google them to be certain I read them right. Hybris. Diachronic. Sui generis. Oh, and this one: couterine! It took me three pages later until I suddenly went, DiNG!, co-uterine! :lol: As in, born from the same uterus! *flip*flip*flip*, *read*read*read* Well, that was hardly worth using such a weird word....

Then there's this:

Because such myth purports to deal with universal verities it invariably has supranational pretensions and can become export religion on a large scale; witness the provincial ancient Near Eastern variety of the Hebrew Genesis that still claims adherents in fundamentalist Judeo-Christian circles....

Every time I convince myself I know what he's saying, I stop, reconsider, and convince myself, no, I really don't. Oh wait, now I understand! He's talking about...ok, wait, that's not right. Oh, yes! ...no, maybe not.

:?

Luckily, unless I let myself get stuck on something, I can just skip it and read on. Most of it is much more understandable.

This is one book that I've always meant to buy, but my local book store told me they can't get it in because it's not on their list of publishers.

Great book, everyone should read it. I've learnt quite a bit from it already. In fact, I'm going back and rereading it to take notes. A few of his conclusions don't convince me, and I'll need to look into them more to satisfy my curiosity, but for the most part it's an important source of information I've been looking for already.
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:32 pm

They're not a fan of letting the language roll off the tongue, I take it.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:14 pm

Couterine isn't in the AH 10 pounder, nor is it under uterine.

Hybris is an odd variant of hubris.

Diachronic= concerned with phenomena

Sui generis=unique. ( I like this one, as unique is over and misused )

Looking for couterine I found out that couch isn't technically just another word for sofa, but rather specifically a sofa used in a psychiatrist's office.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:20 pm

fromthehills wrote:Couterine isn't in the AH 10 pounder, nor is it under uterine.

No, but I got the meaning once I realized it was co-uterine rather than couter-ine. :lol: Couter-ine? "Derived from the couter?"

"Hey, Maw! Whut's a 'couter'?"
"It's either a piece of a suit of armour that fits on the elbow, or go wash yer mouth out with soap!"

Hybris is an odd variant of hubris.

That's what I assumed from the context. Not in any of my dictionaries, though.

Diachronic= concerned with phenomena

Turns out to be a linguistic term.

Sui generis=unique. ( I like this one, as unique is over and misused )

I hate it! Lousy frenchies*, ruinin' mah perfikt langwich an' all!

There are quite a few words I'm only vaguely familiar with, and needed to look up "just to be sure": anthropogonic ("concerning the creation of mankind"), chthonian ("underworldian"), filiation ("being the child of someone"), rectilinear (seriously? rectilinear? dude, c'mon! "in a straight line").

*yes I know it's latin, that's the point! :P
#ANDAMOVIE

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Postby Chachacha » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:18 pm

Off topic: I can't help but giggle at the thought of the outraged comments from "our friends from the right" if the title of this thread had been posted after the Couric-Palin interview.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Took me a minute. Yea, all of them, you know, what's ever laying around.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:16 pm

Gord wrote:rectilinear

Are you sure you didn't pull that straight out of your ass?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:56 am

fromthehills wrote:

Yeah, but I looked it up just to be sure.
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:03 pm

Gord wrote:
fromthehills wrote:

So did I. You didn't get it? Or just didn't think it was funny? I know it was 8th grade humor...tough crowd.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:14 pm

fromthehills wrote:
Gord wrote:
fromthehills wrote:

So did I. You didn't get it? Or just didn't think it was funny? I know it was 8th grade humor...tough crowd.

No, I got it. I even considered making a similar joke myself. I just...didn't. :P
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”