What book are you reading?

Share your thoughts on the written word.
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What book are you reading?

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:51 pm

You sound like my mate has thousands of games on Steam. Play about three.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:38 pm

Some people collect bottle caps.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/bottle-cap-collection

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
xouper wrote:Backstory: One of my hobbies is collecting free kindle books from amazon. I now have almost 150,000 of them. I buy them directly from amazon and I have an email invoice for each and every one of them. All free.

Hey, some people collect bottle caps. :P Your Mileage May Vary TM
I still collect traditional books, and am perpetually running out of bookshelf room, even though I have ten floor-to-ceiling bookshelves...and the books are stacked on some of them (instead of shelved). Admittedly, I do have to take the time to go through them; I'm 100% sure I can get rid of HTML for Netscape, for example. :mrgreen:

Boss Lady has over two thousand books cataloged on LibraryThing.com.
Looks excellent, and it even provides an iOS scanning app for the ISBNs. Thanks, Gawd!
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:19 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
xouper wrote:Backstory: One of my hobbies is collecting free kindle books from amazon. I now have almost 150,000 of them. I buy them directly from amazon and I have an email invoice for each and every one of them. All free.

I still collect traditional books, and am perpetually running out of bookshelf room, even though I have ten floor-to-ceiling bookshelves...and the books are stacked on some of them (instead of shelved). Admittedly, I do have to take the time to go through them; I'm 100% sure I can get rid of HTML for Netscape, for example. :mrgreen:

Looks excellent, and it even provides an iOS scanning app for the ISBNs. Thanks, Gawd!

I was looking at that too. I wonder what they would say if, after I pay the fee, here's my list of 150,000 books. Let me know when you have them all catalogued. :lol: And then every day, give them another 200 to 400 more.

One of the problems they would run into immediately is that several hundreds of the books in my collection are no longer available on amazon, and thus no way for LibraryThing to get that amazon biblio data. But I have that data on my hard drive (somewhere).

In fact, last month, four authors (and maybe more) suddenly and completely disappeared from amazon, along with several dozens of their books. No notice or explanation. Completely gone. Still on GoodReads, though, but now all the amazon links are borken.

I like that the biblio data feature of LibraryThing is somewhat automated. A one-time fee of $25 seems like a good deal. I might be able to use that in developing my own online catalogue. I need an online catalog that does some special things that it seems LibraryThing cannot do. But I might still use it anyway, in conjunction with my own.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:

You pay a one-time fee of $25 if you go over 250 books. Well worth it. I check it before I buy a book these days, the cell phone app works just fine.

You can get a mouse scanner to scan the barcodes, saves time.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:04 pm

xouper wrote:I like that the biblio data feature of LibraryThing is somewhat automated. A one-time fee of $25 seems like a good deal. I might be able to use that in developing my own online catalogue. I need an online catalog that does some special things that it seems LibraryThing cannot do. But I might still use it anyway, in conjunction with my own.
I've demo'd so many book cataloguing apps, but all are missing something I want, and most have too many bells and whistles. Bookpedia is the best one I've tried so far. Its basic interface is designed like iTunes so it's easy to sort by any of the variables, and its preferences allow you to choose which variables you want to include or omit. And it works the usual way: scan the ISBN, and the application will search a dozen databases, then autofill the info (which, of course, you can edit).

Mine has been set up mostly with just the basics: title, author, publisher, date, genre, and series. But there are about 50 more you can add, like publisher location, edition, identification of illustrators, your rating, how much you paid, format, dimensions, number of pages, editor, and so on.

It also has a wish list so you can add books you want, but don't yet have, which is a nice feature. And you can create collections, track who borrowed a book from you, and view statistics about your library. And it's only $18, or you can buy their entire catalog—which includes Bookpedia, DVDpedia, CDpedia, and Gamepedia—for $49. But I think it's Mac-only.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:34 pm

xouper wrote:In fact, last month, four authors (and maybe more) suddenly and completely disappeared from amazon, along with several dozens of their books. No notice or explanation. Completely gone.

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:12 am

Still working my way through Heinlein's works (again). Out of 34 novels, I've reread ten thus far (all of his late period, slightly more than half of his middle period, and none of his early period or posthumous novels). Still a long way to go, but I generally read 100 pages every night. I finished Podkayne of Mars last night, and I'm starting Methuselah's Children tonight.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Don't forget "The Past Through Tomorrow".

Did you know the Aussies made a movie of "All You Zombies"?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:52 am

First Fall: The Chronicles of Pern, by St. Anne of Mcaffrey. Thus begins my slow march through all the Pern novels and short stories in chronological order.

Sorry, Todd, you're in the "laters".

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:37 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:First Fall: The Chronicles of Pern, by St. Anne of Mcaffrey. Thus begins my slow march through all the Pern novels and short stories in chronological order.

I suspect you'll enjoy them. I certainly have.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Oh, I read Dragonquest when it came out in paperback.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:49 am

Poodle wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:First Fall: The Chronicles of Pern, by St. Anne of Mcaffrey. Thus begins my slow march through all the Pern novels and short stories in chronological order.

I suspect you'll enjoy them. I certainly have.

Me too. Read them all as a teen. Gotta love anything with genetically-engineered sentient interdimensional dragons. She's probably my favourite female writer of all time. Read everything she's written.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:53 am

I'm actually more a fan of the dolphins. They let humans {!#%@} off for centuries while they had the run of the planet and all the thread they could eat.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:04 am

Haha! I'd forgotten about that. But they can't fly, breathe fire, and pop between dimensions.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:59 am

Major Malfunction wrote:Haha! I'd forgotten about that. But they can't fly, breathe fire, and pop between dimensions.

Practical beasts don't need to.

But you forgot "travel in time."

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 pm

Really? Maybe I should re-read the last couple of books...

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:23 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Really? Maybe I should re-read the last couple of books...

Dragonquest.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:29 pm

I could have sworn that I'd read the Discworld stuff. I was sure I had. But I put The Colour of Magic onto my reader and discovered that I didn't recognise it at all. So that's what I'm reading - and I have all of the others too. That should keep me going for a while.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:Really? Maybe I should re-read the last couple of books...

Dragonquest.

Time travelling dolphins In the second book? I didn't think we met them until very late... Well, it has been thirty years or so. Perhaps I should read them again. I collect 2nd hand scifi classics. It can take years to find a whole set. And I've been thinking my kid is right about the right age to be introduced to Anne McCaffrey. Show her a class above Harry Potter.

EDIT: It seems I tell a lie. I guess I only read upto the Master Harper. I didn't realise the series kept on going after that! I guess I got tired of it...

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:07 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Dragonquest.

Time travelling dolphins In the second book? I didn't think we met them until very late... Well, it has been thirty years or so. Perhaps I should read them again. I collect 2nd hand scifi classics. It can take years to find a whole set. And I've been thinking my kid is right about the right age to be introduced to Anne McCaffrey. Show her a class above Harry Potter.

EDIT: It seems I tell a lie. I guess I only read upto the Master Harper. I didn't realise the series kept on going after that! I guess I got tired of it...

Time traveling dragons. I must have read you wrong. There's a lot of books there. http://pernhome.com/pern/?page_id=69

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:14 am

I honestly thought she died a long time ago.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:50 am

Major Malfunction wrote:I honestly thought she died a long time ago.

21 November 2011.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:29 am

I guess should be thankful I can finally catch up.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Don't forget "The Past Through Tomorrow".

I didn't know that! How long ago?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Taking a brief break from Heinlein to reread Philip José Farmer's A Barnstormer in Oz, in which Dorothy's son Hank, a former military pilot, flies through a dimensional warp and ends up in Quadlingland. Farmer does an excellent job theorizing how and when human beings ended up populating this planet, which he places in an alternate universe but in Earth's place and orbit.

Farmer also explains that Baum took quite a lot of artistic license when writing Dorothy's story. I like that he intersects science fiction with fantasy to explain the fantastic, including the talking animals.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Don't forget "The Past Through Tomorrow".

I didn't know that! How long ago?

Predestination (2014) - IMDb
www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:44 am

Allan Nyom wrote:Ubik by Philip K. Dick. Great sci-fi, easy and quick to read!

Holy crap, that book changed my life! By which I mean, it really messed me up. To be fair, though, I was already pretty messed up while reading it, so maybe the book isn't as much the cause as just the emblem on the flag of my newfound insanity.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”