Favourite Quotes.

Share your thoughts on the written word.
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Favourite Quotes.

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:29 pm

Gord wrote:
Patricia Henry | DeKalb, IL | October 30, 2016

I am so grateful. All this time I thought Trump had invented a new obnoxious word, "bigly," as a synonym for "huge." Thanks to today's [Doonesbury] strip I realize he's actually been saying "big league." Not since I discovered that Creedence Clearwater Revival was singing about "a bad moon on the rise" and not "a bathroom on the right" have I felt so enlightened.

:heh:

:lol:

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:43 pm

Neils Bohr-----"The objective world of nineteenth-century science was, as we know today, an ideal, limiting case, but not the whole reality."----------------" The fact that religions through the ages have spoken in images, parables, and paradoxes means simply that there are no other ways of grasping the reality to which they refer. But that does not mean that it is not a genuine reality. And splitting this reality into an objective and a subjective side won't get us very far."---------------------------For a parallel to the lesson of atomic theory regarding the limited applicability of such customary idealizations, we must in fact turn to quite other branches of science, such as psychology, or even to that kind of epistemological problems with which already thinkers like Buddha and Lao Tzu have been confronted, when trying to harmonize our position as spectators and actors in the great drama of existence. Speech on quantum theory at Celebrazione del Secondo Centenario della Nascita di Luigi Galvani, Bologna, Italy (October 1937)
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:22 pm

gorgeous wrote:Neils Bohr-----"The objective world of nineteenth-century science was, as we know today, an ideal, limiting case, but not the whole reality."-
You have now spammed this same quote thirty times.

Write down what you think it means and then we will tell you what it really means.
:lol: :lol:

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:43 pm

“A man with a new idea is a crank until he succeeds.”
- M. Twain

“Don’t worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are that good, you’ll have to ram them down people’s throats.”
- Howard Aiken------------------------------“The skeptic will say, ‘It may well be true that this system of equations is reasonable from a logical standpoint, but this does not prove that it corresponds to nature.’ You are right, dear skeptic. Experience alone can decide on truth. - Albert Einstein
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:13 pm

seth---------------You are like children with a game, and you think that the game is played by everyone. Physical life is not the rule. Identity and consciousness existed long before your earth was formed. You suppose that any personality must appear in physical terms. Consciousness is the force behind matter, and it forms many other realities besides the physical one. It is, again, your own viewpoint that is presently so limited that it seems to you that physical reality is the rule and mode of existence.

The source and power of your present consciousness has never been physical, and where I am, many are not even aware that such a physical system exists.

The physical system is an illusion, but you must accept it and from your viewpoint try to understand the realities that exist beyond it.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:32 am

gorgeous wrote:seth---------------You are like children with a game, and you think that the game .

You have now spammed this large bogus "Jane Roberts/ Seth" paragraph from her commercial book five times with no additional comment in three different threads.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25069&p=445042&hilit=You+are+like+children+with+a+game#p445042
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=25074&p=445044&hilit=You+are+like+children+with+a+game#p445044
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25608&p=466300&hilit=You+are+like+children+with+a+game#p466300
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12279&p=477021&hilit=You+are+like+children+with+a+game#p477021
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12279&p=550305&hilit=You+are+like+children+with+a+game#p550305

I think 2017 should be free of Gorgeous's spamming of the same copyright material. :D

Forum Rules
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2#p2
"Spamming, i.e. posting exclusively to advertise a product or services"
Administrative action: Immediate, permanent ban; possible deletion of content;

Users may post very brief excerpts of content from other websites, with a link to the online source. This should be no more than a short paragraph, accompanied by commentary.
Administrative action: Removal of offending content; locking of posts and/or topics. Repeated violations may result in the temporary or permanent ban.

Posting the same content more than three times within a single topic or in other topics
Administrative action: Warnings; locking of posts and/or topics; moving of posts and/or topics

ElectricMonk
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:53 am

I don't doubt that Russians used to discount everything official. I've known lots of people from the former Soviet bloc states.

But the propaganda machinery has become so much more subtle and pervasive.
People might ignore official statements made by the Kremlin, but they do trust one or two Russian media sources, even though all are under state control. Russian TV, which is by far the most common source of news, very often cut and pastes western TV programmes that make western leaders look bad and Russia good; or make it seem that the West is about to invade- think of all the nuclear attack drills this year.
In addition, Russia is targeting Russian expats in other countries with fake news about how bad their chosen residence is: take the fake case of the Russian girl raped and killed by Muslim refugees in Germany:. It was widely believed by the Russian community, making them stage big protests.
Or the total fabrications about Ukraine.

Most Russians do not escape the bubble created for them by the Kremlin.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:00 am

:hmm:... ~ ElectricMonk

There, properly attributed. :-P

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:43 am

Favourite quotes:

"There wasn't nary a snowflake in the Bible, bruh."
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:31 pm

“It has occurred to me lately—I must confess with some shock at first to my scientific sensibilities—that both questions [the origin of consciousness in humans and of life from non-living matter] might be brought into some degree of congruence. This is with the assumption that mind, rather than emerging as a late outgrowth in the evolution of life, has existed always as the matrix, the source and condition of physical reality—that stuff of which physical reality is composed is mind-stuff. It is mind that has composed a physical universe that breeds life and so eventually evolves creatures that know and create: science-, art-, and technology-making animals. In them the universe begins to know itself.”

- George Wald, (Noble laureate and professor of biology at Harvard University) wrote this in an article entitled “Life and Mind in the Universe” which appeared in the peer-reviewed journal the International Journal of Quantum Chemistry: Quantum Biology, symposium 11 (1984): 1-15.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:57 am

"You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." -- attributed tenuously to Abraham Lincoln; the earliest reference so far found in in English is from September 9, 1885, by a judge named William. J. Groo who did not give it any attribution; there is, however, a possible French source from as far back as 1684 which goes:

...ont pû tromper quelques hommes, ou les tromper tous dans certains lieux & en certains tems, mais non pas tous les hommes, dans tous les lieux & dans tous les siécles.

...and can be translated (in one possible way) as:

"...one can fool some men, or fool all men in some places and times, but one cannot fool all men in all places and ages."
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:39 pm

"I suppose that a Canadian is someone who has a logical reason to think he is one. My logical reason is that I have never been anything else, nor has it occurred to me that I might be." -- Mavis Gallant, introduction to Home Truths, 1981.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Gord wrote:"I suppose that a Canadian is someone who has a logical reason to think he is one. My logical reason is that I have never been anything else, nor has it occurred to me that I might be." -- Mavis Gallant, introduction to Home Truths, 1981.

You could be a Bigendian and not even know it.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:44 pm

Tom Palven wrote:I'm partial to quotes from (or attributed to) Mark Twain and Will Rogers.

Donald Trump's popularity brings to mind Rogers' "A fool and his money are soon elected."
The election in general brings to mind, "If you don't read the news you will be uninformed. If you read the news, you will be misinformed."

Probably said neither by Twain nor Rogers, still appropriate.

Edited typo.
Last edited by ahhell on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:12 am

ahhell wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:I'm partial to quotes from (or attributed to) Mark Twain and Will Rogers.

Donald Trump's popularity brings to mind Rogers' "A fool and his money are soon elected."
The election in general brings to mind, "If you don't read the news you will be uniformed. If you read the news, you will be misinformed."

Probably said neither by Twain nor Rogers, still appropriate.

You'll be made to wear a uniform? As in, "If you don't read the news you'll be drafted into the army"?
#ANDAMOVIE

ahhell
Poster

Postby ahhell » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:55 pm

Uninformed, the typo has been corrected.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:59 am

Rats, I liked it the way it was!
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:47 am

scrmbldggs wrote:http://www.definitelyrealquotes.com/

"They’re real and they’re spectacular." -- John Oliver
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:26 am

"When you are given immunity you have probably committed a crime." -- Michael Flynn, last September on Meet the Press
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:36 pm

“You can talk about people like Buddha, Jesus, Moses, Confucius, but the thing that convinced me that such people existed were the conversations with Bohr,” Dr. Wheeler said. John A. Wheeler as quoted by Dennis Overbye in "John A. Wheeler, Physicist Who Coined the Term 'Black Hole,' Is Dead at 96". NY Times. (14 April 2008)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:19 am

gorgeous wrote:“You can talk about people like Buddha, Jesus, Moses, Confucius, but the thing that convinced me that such people existed were the conversations with Bohr,” Dr. Wheeler said.)

Bummer for you then, that Niels Bohr was an atheist.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:59 am

"Why do you keep hitting yourself? Why do you keep hitting yourself?" -- me to my younger brother
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:19 pm

"It's what I tell small children: Just because somebody says something, doesn't make it true. And it's a great lesson for everyone.... You can turn on the TV...and people literally say things that just aren't true." -- White House adviser Kellyanne Conway
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Gord wrote:"It's what I tell small children: Just because somebody says something, doesn't make it true. And it's a great lesson for everyone.... You can turn on the TV...and people literally say things that just aren't true." -- White House adviser Kellyanne Conway

Was she watching a Trump speech when she said that?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:"It's what I tell small children: Just because somebody says something, doesn't make it true. And it's a great lesson for everyone.... You can turn on the TV...and people literally say things that just aren't true." -- White House adviser Kellyanne Conway

I think she was looking at a mirror.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Whoa! Are you saying T.rump staffers reflect in mirrors? :shock:

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:11 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:

Whoa! Are you saying T.rump staffers reflect in mirrors? :shock:

She turned on a TV and someone behind her said "Oh, look! I can see myself in the mirror!"
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Upton_O_Goode
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: O_I_Lovett

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon May 29, 2017 3:11 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
gorgeous wrote:"Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak."

Thomas Carlyle

Thereby making it laudatory to inform the poor they just need to work harder, preferably for less.

Nah, they need to show some initiative, like our President. They need to go out, roll up their sleeves, get to work, and inherit a real estate business with family lawyers to save them in six bankruptcies. Buncha FREELOADERS!
"[A clergyman] debases spiritual exaltation by reducing it to a hollow and meaningless formality, as a politician debases patriotism and a lady of joy debases love." -- H. L. Mencken

Upton_O_Goode
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: O_I_Lovett

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon May 29, 2017 3:14 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
gorgeous wrote:“You can talk about people like Buddha, Jesus, Moses, Confucius, but the thing that convinced me that such people existed were the conversations with Bohr,” Dr. Wheeler said.)

Bummer for you then, that Niels Bohr was an atheist.

As were/are 90% of physicists after 1900, including Einstein, despite the numerous, pitiful, dishonest attempts of god-botherers to co-opt a few poetic metaphors he spoke. He himself said very candidly that he didn't believe in any god who rewards and punishes, and that he had never tried to conceal this view.

At least one guy out in the Midwest understood this and told him to "take your evil theory of evolution and go back where you came from." (Darwin/Einstein---all the same to this guy. In other words, people who think they are better than him because they understand something he doesn't.)
"[A clergyman] debases spiritual exaltation by reducing it to a hollow and meaningless formality, as a politician debases patriotism and a lady of joy debases love." -- H. L. Mencken

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Tue May 30, 2017 12:56 pm

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed May 31, 2017 12:20 am

gorgeous wrote:"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." Albert Einstein.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed May 31, 2017 3:43 am

"Oh {!#%@}, my toe"- damn near everyone going for a midnight piss.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed May 31, 2017 3:51 am

gorgeous wrote:"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

Well SH*T!!!!.......Why did I spend all that time in college reading books?

"Books: a non DNA mechanism for capturing and making knowledge available to offspring."==>my paraphrase from something I read.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster

Postby Cadmusteeth » Wed May 31, 2017 4:11 am

Let's cross that bridge when we can reach it.

-Me

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed May 31, 2017 11:48 am

"They're good guys. Finish last in the league, but still good guys."

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed May 31, 2017 1:03 pm

"Why do all ya'lls dishes match? That's weird." Trae Crowder

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed May 31, 2017 5:48 pm

fromthehills wrote:"Why do all ya'lls dishes match? That's weird." Trae Crowder

When Mom got married they had to search the local dump for usable plates and silverware.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed May 31, 2017 6:16 pm

fromthehills wrote:"Oh {!#%@}, my toe"- damn near everyone going for a midnight piss.

Covfefe!

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:48 am

Had to look that up. {!#%@}

Return to “Book Reviews/Discussion”