Regional levels of fear associated with Trump and Brexit votes, psychology study shows

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Regional levels of fear associated with Trump and Brexit votes, psychology study shows

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:36 am

Date: March 8, 2018

Source: University of Texas at Austin

Summary: Regions where voters have more neurotic personality traits were more likely to vote for Donald Trump in the United States or for the Brexit campaign in the United Kingdom, revealing a new trend that could help explain the rise of fearmongering populist political campaigns across the world, according to new research.

Unlike previous elections, fear and worry played a heavy hand in both the 2016 Donald Trump and "Brexit" elections, changing the script on how personality shapes political behavior, according to an international psychological study on voting behavior.

Research has long established that political attitudes are associated with the Big Five personality traits. For example, prior studies show low openness and high conscientiousness to be related to conservativism. But in 2016, two campaigns built on populist themes of fear, lost pride and loss aversion awoke previously uninfluential traits, particularly those of anxiety, anger and fear -- all of which are aspects of the Big Five trait of neuroticism.

The study, conducted by researchers from Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Ilmenau University of Technology, University of Cambridge, the London School of Economics and Political Science, Melbourne University and The University of Texas at Austin, was published in Social Psychological and Personality Science in March.

"The models traditionally used for predicting and explaining political behavior did not capture an essential factor that influenced people's voting decisions in 2016," said lead author Martin Obschonka, a psychologist and associate professor in entrepreneurship at QUT. "We propose a kind of "sleeper effect." Under normal conditions these traits have no influence, but in certain circumstances, widespread anxiety and fear in a region have the potential to profoundly impact the geopolitical landscape."

Continues...

The FUD campaign is working.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: Regional levels of fear associated with Trump and Brexit votes, psychology study shows

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Ah, the FAUX Noiwse crowd...

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Re: Regional levels of fear associated with Trump and Brexit votes, psychology study shows

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:39 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Ah, the FAUX Noiwse crowd...

I've recently discovered that Faux News is a mere shadow of a more vociferus FUD generator, NRA TV. That channel is the spawning grounds for every stupid thing gunner have ever said or ever will say. They preach hate of people who don't look like them and urge people to arm up to the teeth to get ready because "they're a-comin' fer yer guns, pardner!"

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:43 pm

We've never actually had a Brexit election. In 2016, we had local council elections, and local councils have sod all to do with Brexit. In 2016, we also had a referendum on Brexit - not in any way similar to an election as no-one was standing for any position. Paragraph one of the quotation, then, and there's so much wrong that I really don't feel the need to find out what the rest of the report said.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Poodle wrote:...we also had a referendum on Brexit - not in any way similar to an election as no-one was standing for any position.

..Gee.....I see some similarities sufficient to equate the two processes. But I agree otherwise.

I find Brexit endlessly fascinating. People "voting" for it emotionally, and then the reality/consequential effects slowly coming down. To me: kinda like a zombie movie. also of note for much the same reasons: the conflicts caused by immigration of people who are not culturally consonant, and who don't want to be.

War by other means. ..................... aka: religion, trade, "culture." Immigrate and out breed. Yes: just like a zombie movie.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:49 am

Poodle wrote:We've never actually had a Brexit election. In 2016, we had local council elections, and local councils have sod all to do with Brexit. In 2016, we also had a referendum on Brexit - not in any way similar to an election as no-one was standing for any position. Paragraph one of the quotation, then, and there's so much wrong that I really don't feel the need to find out what the rest of the report said.

no one
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:14 am

Fear literally makes us stupid: you cannot plan or act rationally in a fight or flight situation: all you can do is react. That is why Trump stupid ideas resonated with a scared crowd: when you are about to panic, any solution seems desirable.
Last edited by ElectricMonk on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:36 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Regional levels of fear associated with Trump and Brexit votes, psychology study shows

Date: March 8, 2018

Source: University of Texas at Austin

Summary: Regions where voters have more neurotic personality traits were more likely to vote for Donald Trump in the United States or for the Brexit campaign in the United Kingdom, revealing a new trend that could help explain the rise of fearmongering populist political campaigns across the world, according to new research.

Unlike previous elections, fear and worry played a heavy hand in both the 2016 Donald Trump and "Brexit" elections, changing the script on how personality shapes political behavior, according to an international psychological study on voting behavior.

Research has long established that political attitudes are associated with the Big Five personality traits. For example, prior studies show low openness and high conscientiousness to be related to conservativism. But in 2016, two campaigns built on populist themes of fear, lost pride and loss aversion awoke previously uninfluential traits, particularly those of anxiety, anger and fear -- all of which are aspects of the Big Five trait of neuroticism.

The study, conducted by researchers from Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Ilmenau University of Technology, University of Cambridge, the London School of Economics and Political Science, Melbourne University and The University of Texas at Austin, was published in Social Psychological and Personality Science in March.

"The models traditionally used for predicting and explaining political behavior did not capture an essential factor that influenced people's voting decisions in 2016," said lead author Martin Obschonka, a psychologist and associate professor in entrepreneurship at QUT. "We propose a kind of "sleeper effect." Under normal conditions these traits have no influence, but in certain circumstances, widespread anxiety and fear in a region have the potential to profoundly impact the geopolitical landscape."

Continues...

The FUD campaign is working.

I would agree with this study but they forgot to mention apathy, laziness, and the fact that people are sick of not having good choice, that's on top of fear etc. I am in Australia and we have compulsory voting here, I often feel angry that I need to self manipulate to chose a candidate as they all lack, I would much more prefer (despite how costly and impractical plebiscites are) to vote per issue, the direct democracy way... Dam, why cannot we just do it electronically?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:21 am

ElectricMonk wrote:Fear literally makes us stupid: you cannot plan or act rationally in a fight or flight situation: all you can do is react. That is why Trump stupid ideas resonated with a scared crowd: when you are about to panic, any solution seems desirable.

Being afraid is a natural state in combat, the survivors are the ones who can function while afraid. I had the advantage of years of training in being able to function in that state.

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote: Being afraid is a natural state in combat, the survivors are the ones who can function while afraid. I had the advantage of years of training in being able to function in that state.

I must agree, to me fear is a great motivator, the adrenaline rush allowed me to pull stunts off you would not believe... ;-) The issues are when it becomes paralysing, but there are other reasons for it. People who purposely voted for Trump were not scared, they were unintelligent, pathetic, holding discriminatory beliefs not because they were afraid of anyone but because it makes them feel good about themselves when they bully others, selfish and narrow minded. Fear had nothing to do with it.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:45 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:Fear literally makes us stupid: you cannot plan or act rationally in a fight or flight situation: all you can do is react. That is why Trump stupid ideas resonated with a scared crowd: when you are about to panic, any solution seems desirable.

Being afraid is a natural state in combat, the survivors are the ones who can function while afraid. I had the advantage of years of training in being able to function in that state.

Training makes all the difference - and having a clear goal and a bit of a plan.
But the crowds that flock to Trump campaign events have none of those things, so they come out believing everything the Orange said.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:13 pm

ElectricMonk wrote: Training makes all the difference -

As a pilot, I was sometimes asked how I could stand the possibility of dying in a plane crash. What would you do???

Answer: "Follow the check list."
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:36 pm

NRA TV campaigned heavily for T.rump. If you haven't watched that channel it's the 700 Club of gunners.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:06 pm

^Fearless kids and noNRAmoney.org, even tho they are trying to get them while they're young.

The NRA has given more than $7 million in grants to hundreds of U.S. schools in recent years...
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:10 pm

Mara wrote:...People who purposely voted for Trump were not scared, they were unintelligent, pathetic, holding discriminatory beliefs not because they were afraid of anyone but because it makes them feel good about themselves when they bully others, selfish and narrow minded. Fear had nothing to do with it.

You might be misunderestimating the (heavily fanned) fear of "the other".

As to the previously mentioned desire for voting "electronically" - there's a very valid reason many are calling for going back to paper...

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:31 pm

Sure, but hasn’t Iceland pulled off a form of direct democracy by phone?

I think I disagree with what I see as a shallow definition of fear. Let’s define fear?
...it has come to my attention in recent years through various appointments that people get empowerment from power and control rather than act in desperation to mantain safety. If it’s not the ‘other’ they criticize, then it’s a neighbor or a milkbar owner. I have learnt to think of power in human relationships like a pie, if one gets a bigger piece it’s at cost of someone elses’s share. Constant pulling and competitions of egos... or maybe I am just surrounded by ar*eholes...;-)

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Mara wrote: or maybe I am just surrounded by ar*eholes...;-)

Do you live in a "red state"?

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote: Do you live in a "red state"?

I sometimes wonder...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:55 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:NRA TV campaigned heavily for T.rump. If you haven't watched that channel it's the 700 Club of gunners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7HcpNH52xM

ETA a little Samantha Bee

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:25 pm

Mara wrote:Sure, but hasn’t Iceland pulled off a form of direct democracy by phone?

I think I disagree with what I see as a shallow definition of fear. Let’s define fear?
...it has come to my attention in recent years through various appointments that people get empowerment from power and control rather than act in desperation to mantain safety. If it’s not the ‘other’ they criticize, then it’s a neighbor or a milkbar owner. I have learnt to think of power in human relationships like a pie, if one gets a bigger piece it’s at cost of someone elses’s share. Constant pulling and competitions of egos... or maybe I am just surrounded by ar*eholes...;-)

If you define power as political capital, then yes.
But personal empowerment is not political capital, it is directed inwardly.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:02 am

OlegTheBatty wrote: If you define power as political capital, then yes.
But personal empowerment is not political capital, it is directed inwardly.

I do not define power as a political capital as I recognise that all systems including political systems are on the end of the day made out of people, with egos, and with survival needs (psychologically speaking). I do not subscribe to the systems theory. In other words, the term political capital is an artificial term derived from old school philosophical speculations than evidence based understanding - that's the problem with social sciences in general...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:48 am

Mara: how do you define political capital?

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:19 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Mara: how do you define political capital?

Why? Can't you google? I did study sociology, social inequality, comparative politics and political policy years ago and I am sure nothing has changed, I just do not agree with most of it. It's based on attempt to depersonalise those 'concepts' as if they were independent of basic evolutionary human psychology.

My argument is what seems rather obvious yet so many fail to see. Humans, here voters (or other politicians that are still human beings!) are perfectly capable of making their own minds, but there needs to be something in it for them, and that something is primitive not nobel by choice, their choice... The prospective leaders are merely preaching to the converted and that is how they succeed. It's not the one guy that gets judged 99.9% of their life as a public figure that magically influences the masses, it is the masses that favour the one guy who represents their views. The issue is with voters not politicians in a democratic country (but of course we do not want to accept it). It is like arguing who is the greater puppet: the nation or the president. Voters are over 18 (or 21) not 4. This is not about lack of personal development, they know very well what they are supporting.

However if we focus on the issues of democracy, something like a direct democracy could improve things as there are voters who feel they need to vote for a 'package' rather than specific policy and they sacrifice one thing for the other. Voters also need to hope that politicians they voted for will stick to what they promised. Voting per issue such as in a case pf plebiscite removes those problems, in a way removes the need for political parties all together, you just need a policy department to implement what the majority of public wants. Unfortunately plebiscites are costly unless there are other technology based means of running them.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 am

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 am

scrmbldggs wrote:https://youtu.be/mpbeOCKZFfQ?t=7m

See, there is a difference in the social work/humanist approach to psychology...I started with that but then I got exposure to child protection and domestic and family violence sectors. Today, I subscribe to evolutionary psychology where we are just primitive animals who get off at having power, where ethics are socially constructed empty rhetoric that only apply until the person is faced with a specific choice and they always, ALWAYS chose what offers advantage/power to them, no matter how convoluted and full of denial their interpretation justifying such action is, it always is selfishness and power. Even altruism is a selfish act as it feeds into individuals' understanding of themselves, belief in reciprocal reality, or rewards through spiritual beliefs (that is actually text book knowledge). Unlike other animals we know that about ourselves, we just don't like to look that deep. Conclusion: We are nowhere near as innocent and helpless as we like to pretend.

Return to “Politics and Government”