Booker 4/20! I mean 2020!

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Booker 4/20! I mean 2020!

Postby Aztexan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:49 am

http://www.politico.com/states/new-jers ... ion-113716

Words fail me. Tears of joy falling.
I'm willing to divorce my wife and marry Sen. Booker.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Booker 4/20! I mean 2020!

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 am

The bill would legalize marijuana at the federal level and withhold federal money for building jails and prisons, along with other funds, from states whose cannabis laws are shown to disproportionately incarcerate minorities....it “disturbs” him that Attorney General Jeff Sessions has signaled that the federal government may take a harder line on marijuana...Gov. Chris Christie, who leaves office in January, has vowed to veto any marijuana legalization bill...

Yeah, they won't be going for it. Their friends would lose too much money losing those customers.

And they want to keep the facts to themselves so their donors get to build and fill tax funded private prisons and the like...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:39 am

Don't bum me out, man! Like I can dig it. The feds ain't being too groovy right now. Besides, it's wayyy cooler underground than it is up top.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:52 am

I support legalization of marijuana. To me it's an issue of personal freedom.

And let prior convictions out of jail.

But leave the racist crap out of it. I would vote against Booker's bill on that basis alone, despite that I would like to see marijuana legalized.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:01 am

"Racist crap"?
Hi, Io the lurker.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:33 am

scrmbldggs wrote:"Racist crap"?

MATT FRIEDMAN of Politico wrote:The bill would legalize marijuana at the federal level and withhold federal money for building jails and prisons, along with other funds, from states whose cannabis laws are shown to disproportionately incarcerate minorities.

. . . Those “aggrieved” by a disproportionate arrest or imprisonment rate would be able to sue, according to the bill.

The racist crap I highlighted in yellow.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:01 pm

xouper wrote:

MATT FRIEDMAN of Politico wrote:The bill would legalize marijuana at the federal level and withhold federal money for building jails and prisons, along with other funds, from states whose cannabis laws are shown to disproportionately incarcerate minorities.

. . . Those “aggrieved” by a disproportionate arrest or imprisonment rate would be able to sue, according to the bill.

Why is it racist to acknowledge the reality that some people are targeted because of race?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Maybe xouper thought it better to leave such out of it because it would hurt the bill? Considering who'd be voting on it...
Hi, Io the lurker.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:56 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Maybe xouper thought it better to leave such out of it because it would hurt the bill? Considering who'd be voting on it...

It probably would be better to leave it out. It's more the perview of the courts than than a legislature.

But, politics, you know. You put some {!#%@} into a bill so that those opposing it have something to take out.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:43 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
xouper wrote:

Why is it racist to acknowledge the reality that some people are targeted because of race?

It's not racist to acknowledge the reality that some people are targeted because of race.

But it is racist to assume that just because the jails do not represent the racial profile of the population in general, therefore those convicts must have been put there because of their race.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:02 am

The bill would legalize marijuana at the federal level and withhold federal money for building jails and prisons, along with other funds, from states whose cannabis laws are shown to disproportionately incarcerate minorities that refused to legalize cannabis.

Under the legislation, federal convictions for marijuana use and possession would be expunged and prisoners serving time for a marijuana offense would be entitled to a sentencing hearing immediately released.
FIFY
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Politics and Government”