Henry Rollins: Rich v. Poor

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Henry Rollins: Rich v. Poor

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Henry Rollins: There is no existential threat to America that rivals what America inflicts upon itself.
Imagine how angry early America’s rich were when they lost the right to own a person. Look at what they did to preserve their way of life; see how tenaciously their ancestors cling to these values and seek to roll back progress.

Just think how pleased Paul Ryan would be if millions of Americans would finally do the jobs that Americans don’t want to do, for the wage that the boss tells them they’re going to get. Try to calculate the level of Mitch McConnell’s joy when millions of Americans would, rather than have the audacity to demand affordable health care, just die off when the quality of life determined by their pay grade ushered them to the end of their existence.

The plea for equality is a hoarse cry in a country that was birthed in and operates on inequality. There’s enough money and resources to allow all American citizens access to health care, but it has simply never been a sustained priority. It’s been fascinating listening to politicians and think tankers assure interviewers that the health care plan that was recently given a toxic bill of health by the CBO is the smart and sustainable replacement to Obamacare. They’re trying to open a lemonade stand that sells piss. Not a single one of the members in either house of Congress will ever have to taste it.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: Henry Rollins: Rich v. Poor

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Truth is: USA spends money to prevent people from getting healthcare. It is twice the cost with the lowest outcomes.... and the richest for profit skimmers.

Small minded grunty little creatures.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:31 pm

"share your fire with a man, and he will be warm for a night. But set fire to a man, and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
-Terry Prachtett
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:35 pm

debt enslavement was always the plan.... https://youtu.be/A1MASsKbWQs
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:44 pm

“It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.”
― Henry Ford ----------------Despite these warnings, Woodrow Wilson signed the 1913 Federal Reserve Act. A few years later he wrote: “I am a most unhappy man. I have unwittingly ruined my country. A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men. We have come to be one of the worst ruled, one of the most completely controlled and dominated Governments in the civilized world no longer a Government by free opinion, no longer a Government by conviction and the vote of the majority, but a Government by the opinion and duress of a small group of dominant men.” -Woodrow Wilson---------------The real truth of the matter is,as you and I know, that a financial
element in the large centers has owned the government ever since
the days of Andrew Jackson… -Franklin D. Roosevelt
(in a letter to Colonel House, dated November 21, 1933)--------------“Let me issue and control a nation’s money and I care not who writes the laws.” Mayer Amschel Rothschild (1744-1812), founder of the House of Rothschild.

“The few who understand the system will either be so interested in its profits or be so dependent upon its favours that there will be no opposition from that class, while on the other hand, the great body of people, mentally incapable of comprehending the tremendous advantage that capital derives from the system, will bear its burdens without complaint, and perhaps without even suspecting that the system is inimical to their interests.” The Rothschild brothers of London writing to associates in New York, 1863.
--------------------“Money is a new form of slavery, and distinguishable from the old simply by the fact that it is impersonal – that there is no human relation between master and slave.” Leo Tolstoy, Russian writer.
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:21 pm

That's all, folks ... ... Bugs Bunny.

What?

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:34 am

Qatar is listed at one site as the richest country in the world with an average annual per capita income of $141,543 per person and Luxemburg second with $101.926 person.

Malawi (Surrounding Lake Malawi down near Lake Victoria) is listed at some sites as the poorest country in the world with an average annual per capita income of $226.50
http://gazettereview.com/2016/06/top-10 ... ies-world/

However, this doesn't take into account that there may still be people in the world (Things are changing every day) such as Pygmies of Central Africa, Bushmen of South Africa, and Indians in the Amazon rain forest who may exist, and perhaps happily, on zero dollars per year, as depicted in The Gods Must be Crazy.

Not to endorse poverty, just sayin' that there may be something to the old adage that money isn't everything.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:20 pm

Tom Palven wrote: Not to endorse poverty, just sayin' that there may be something to the old adage that money isn't everything.

Yeaaaah...."if" you live in a small tribal community cut off from the rest of the world. That kind of everything......a lifestyle that no one brought up outside of it would choose.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Another example that money's not everything:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=zi ... &FORM=IGRE
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:16 pm

Money indeed isn't everything ...
you also have to have lots of it.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Cadmusteeth
Regular Poster

Postby Cadmusteeth » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:36 pm

It most certainly helps. Now if only the rich weren't so greedy. Seeing as that is unrealistic I settle for kicking them were it hurts; getting legislation put out that forces them to do what they're so unwilling to do.
"It won't fix anything!" Well it's a start.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:03 pm

Tom Palven wrote:However, this doesn't take into account that there may still be people in the world (Things are changing every day) such as Pygmies of Central Africa, Bushmen of South Africa, and Indians in the Amazon rain forest who may exist, and perhaps happily, on zero dollars per year, as depicted in The Gods Must be Crazy.
There's not much point in taking so many uncertainties into account. Or in basing real life decisions on a fictional movie.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:53 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Money indeed isn't everything ...

Isn't there somewhere a science obsessed quarky old trillionaire who would fund my research into the connection between happiness and money (Bill! Where are you?)

Yes, and just like Barry Marshall who in the act of supreme sacrifice drunk a petri dish full of Helicobacter pylori I would like to test the "money does not bring happiness" theory on myself too.

Hello? Anybody there? Okay, who loves science...? :blink:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:28 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:.... as depicted in The Gods Must be Crazy....There's not much point in taking so many uncertainties into account. Or in basing real life decisions on a fictional movie.

Right you are. Contra: wasn't the point of TGMBC is that the tribe became corruputed by the richness of whomever held the coke bottle?......so the solution was to throw the bottle over the cliff and return the tribe to its peaceful status quo ante squalor? Highlights that wealth is all relative and perception. Wealth disparity...... if you have an empty coke bottle, then I want one too.

...............we are all the same.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:08 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:.... as depicted in The Gods Must be Crazy....There's not much point in taking so many uncertainties into account. Or in basing real life decisions on a fictional movie.

Right you are. Contra: wasn't the point of TGMBC is that the tribe became corruputed by the richness of whomever held the coke bottle?......so the solution was to throw the bottle over the cliff and return the tribe to its peaceful status quo ante squalor? Highlights that wealth is all relative and perception. Wealth disparity...... if you have an empty coke bottle, then I want one too.

...............we are all the same.

To me, "wealth" is a sufficient amount of money to remove worries about financial problems, with enough left over to enjoy life.

More money than that doesn't engender a feeling of security, but panic, because it creates new problems. I never wanted to be rich and famous, only comfortably well-off and relatively obscure. I dislike attention, and would probably be one of those celebrities who habitually punched paparazzi. And I'm uninterested in multiple homes, overpriced designer clothing, expensive jewelry, country clubs, red carpets, and all the superficial social BS that the wealthy seem to thrive on.

I would, however, love to remedy the two instances where I feel I got ripped off while traveling:
  • At 17, I went to France through an exchange program and stayed with a family in Lyon for a month. They were wonderful. At the end of the trip, the program made a ridiculous decision that angers me to this day...and our bus drove by the Louvre to take us to the Eiffel Tower. My heart broke.
  • At 19, I went to Germany through another exchange program and stayed with a family just north of Frankfurt. They owned a bakery, and were absolutely fantastic. Our program guide was Catholic, and it chanced to be the year of the Passion Play...and our bus drove by Neuschwanstein to take us to Oberammergau. My heart broke again.
Enough extra money to travel would be awesome.

Return to “Politics and Government”