Face to face, not face to phone. Cell phones will increase our destructive hive living natures.

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Face to face, not face to phone. Cell phones will increase our destructive hive living natures.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Cell phones are killing our social skills. The cell phone is one of the rudest pieces of technology ever developed in our modern times. To see a family of four sitting at a dinner table and all four members are texting and avoiding the bonding that should be taking place, instead of the silence that occurs; is one of society’s greatest failures. Friends are out for a night on the town and everyone has their phone out, texting and not having meaningful conversations that would be more rewarding. We cannot speak in complete sentences without the use of acronyms and do not look at others directly in their eyes while speaking to them. This society is losing the art of pure communication.

We are mammals, but we are making ourselves into that less favorable condition of hive living creatures.

Are cell phones controlling our way of life?

I say yes.

Regards
DL

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Face to face, not face to phone. Cell phones will increase our destructive hive living natures.

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:23 pm

Not only that, they also prevent people practicing their telepathy skills!

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Re: Face to face, not face to phone. Cell phones will increase our destructive hive living natures.

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:25 pm

You cannot actually practice those skill as they are emotionally driven.

Regards
DL

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Simple fix: make your phone camera read people's expression.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:36 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:Simple fix: make your phone camera read people's expression.

If you mean ban text and force mandatory skype-ing, I am all in.

Regards
DL

salomed
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Postby salomed » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:44 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Face to face, not face to phone. Cell phones will increase our destructive hive living natures.

Cell phones are killing our social skills. The cell phone is one of the rudest pieces of technology ever developed in our modern times. To see a family of four sitting at a dinner table and all four members are texting and avoiding the bonding that should be taking place, instead of the silence that occurs; is one of society’s greatest failures. Friends are out for a night on the town and everyone has their phone out, texting and not having meaningful conversations that would be more rewarding. We cannot speak in complete sentences without the use of acronyms and do not look at others directly in their eyes while speaking to them. This society is losing the art of pure communication.

We are mammals, but we are making ourselves into that less favorable condition of hive living creatures.

I say yes.

Regards
DL

It is an awaiting social catastrophe. #postorwellian

In addition... will there be a spike in hand cancers?
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Regards
DL

So am I. And that's why I'm against that! :bath:

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:51 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:

Regards
DL

Nah.
I'll just point my phone camera at my wife and it will tell me if she's cross with me for waving my phone in her face.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:07 pm

salomed wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:Face to face, not face to phone. Cell phones will increase our destructive hive living natures.

I say yes.

Regards
DL

It is an awaiting social catastrophe. #postorwellian

In addition... will there be a spike in hand cancers?

Hand and brain as subatomic particle are on the increase in ambient conditions from the billions of sources.

That has to have an effect even if we are mostly empty space at those sizes.

Regards
DL

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:48 pm

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 pm

The real way to fix this is to make a law requiring all cell phones to be installed in people's shoes. You rarely saw Maxwell Smart failing in social situations. (Okay, maybe he's a bad example....)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Electro432

Postby Electro432 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:03 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Not only that, they also prevent people practicing their telepathy skills!

Absolutely. My mum and I had this ability until my Dad made her get a mobile. She would send a message and then switch off... haha many of my contemporary friends would comment that their parents did the same! What good is that in an emergency situation! The emgency happened and then my mum and I started sending the same well intended texts. Perhaps this example of synchronisity was due to our close relationship. I thus deduce that telepathy is most best proved through family connections. Im very close to both parents, but mum and I need to be assessed and catagorised for the sake of physics :)
"One's eyes are what one is; one's mouth, what one becomes."
Galsworthy

"The idealist walks on tiptoe, the materialist on his heels."
Chazal

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Do you think you and your mum are a danger to physics? :-P

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:40 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:We are mammals, but we are making ourselves into that less favorable condition of hive living creatures.

That's kind of the goal...

No, they're just a tool being used by those who want to control our way of life.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:48 pm

Gord wrote:The real way to fix this is to make a law requiring all cell phones to be installed in people's shoes. You rarely saw Maxwell Smart failing in social situations. (Okay, maybe he's a bad example....)

Not bad but I do not see the fashion going that way. Few people can teach their toes nowadays. Too fat.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:51 pm

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:We are mammals, but we are making ourselves into that less favorable condition of hive living creatures.

[quote]

Are you suggesting that man is better off being a hivish creature than a tribal creature?

Regards
DL

Venerable Kwan Tam Woo
Frequent Poster

Postby Venerable Kwan Tam Woo » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:43 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Venerable Kwan Tam Woo wrote:

Are you suggesting that man is better off being a hivish creature than a tribal creature?

Depends on whose perspective you're viewing it from.
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."
- Mark Twain

The Terrifying Brilliance of the Islamic Memeplex

Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:25 pm

I was asking you.

Regards
DL

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:25 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:The cell phone is one of the rudest pieces of technology ever developed in our modern times.
You're anthropomorphizing an inanimate object. It's not the cell phone that's rude; it's the subset of people who have, apparently, forgotten their manners since they've gotten cell phones.

Which doesn't include everyone. Ownership of a cell phone doesn't automatically lead to rudeness. We have extended family dinners at least a couple times a month (my daughter and myself, my father, and my brother and his family...three households) and no one has his/her cell phone at the table. They're off for the duration.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:44 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:The cell phone is one of the rudest pieces of technology ever developed in our modern times.
You're anthropomorphizing an inanimate object. It's not the cell phone that's rude; it's the subset of people who have, apparently, forgotten their manners since they've gotten cell phones.

Which doesn't include everyone. Ownership of a cell phone doesn't automatically lead to rudeness. We have extended family dinners at least a couple times a month (my daughter and myself, my father, and my brother and his family...three households) and no one has his/her cell phone at the table. They're off for the duration.

Of course there will be exceptions to the rudeness and various levels of use and abuse.

That does not negate that what I see overall as our young loosing the ability or not being able or desiring to engage in face to face communications.

This link shows a number of areas where science is finding disturbing results from cell phone use.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=cell+pho ... 49&bih=542

Regards
DL

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:33 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:Of course there will be exceptions to the rudeness and various levels of use and abuse.
If there are "various levels of use and abuse" and "exceptions," then the idea of causation has already been negated. The most that can be said is that cell phone use might be a variable. However, you'd still have to prove correlation and search for other variables that contribute to the issue.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:That does not negate that what I see overall as our young loosing the ability or not being able or desiring to engage in face to face communications.
So this is merely your opinion, then. You have yet to prove it.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:This link shows a number of areas where science is finding disturbing results from cell phone use.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=cell+pho ... 49&bih=542
That's not a link; it's a Google dump of 665,000 returns for your search "cell phone mind experiments." The issues with this are:
1. I'm not trolling through more than half a million websites searching for your evidence. It's your hypothesis, so it's your job to support it.
2. Your search string doesn't relate to your hypothesis. Scholarly "cell phone use" and "lack of social skills" would be better. Prefacing your search string with "scholarly" will ensure you get only actual studies as your results, not junk science, corporate sites, fake news, and other garbage.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:20 pm

Thanks for this.

Regards
DL

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Of course, it's always possible that the family of four were actually using their phones to phone each other. I've had dinner with people who make that ridiculous situation appear vaguely sensible.

Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:16 pm

Poodle wrote:Of course, it's always possible that the family of four were actually using their phones to phone each other. I've had dinner with people who make that ridiculous situation appear vaguely sensible.

That and texting from one room to the other instead of taking a short walk.

Regards
DL

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:04 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Poodle wrote:Of course, it's always possible that the family of four were actually using their phones to phone each other. I've had dinner with people who make that ridiculous situation appear vaguely sensible.

That and texting from one room to the other instead of taking a short walk.

Regards
DL

Unless the text reads: "Hey, I ran out of TP. Can you get me a new roll?" :mrgreen:

Gnostic Bishop
Regular Poster

Postby Gnostic Bishop » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 pm

No argument on this.

Regards
DL

Return to “Politics and Government”