LIWC

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Lance Kennedy
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

LIWC

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon May 08, 2017 10:26 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Pennebaker

LIWC stands for Linguistic enquiry and Word Count. It is a computer program designed by Professor James Pennebaker of the University of Texas, along with colleagues. What it does is check the number of emotion laden words in a body of text (or a speech) and evaluate it for analysis of the nature of the writer or speaker. Apparently, this technique has been checked against the writings of many people and relates extremely well to the known nature of those writers. For example, it successfully predicted suicidal tendencies in poets who later killed themselves.

When LIWC was used to analyse the speeches of Donald Trump, it discovered high levels of personal confidence, and low levels of analytical thinking. More intuitive thinking than fact based.

However, this is not alone. It appears from many such analyses, that both presidents of the USA, and prime ministers of the UK, have been getting less analytical, less fact and evidence based, more emotional, and more intuitive in their speeches and writings, since about world war II.

What does this say for our future?

KevinLevites
Poster

Re: LIWC

Postby KevinLevites » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:46 am

Just consider Hitler's talents as a public speaker.

Need I say more?

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:40 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:When LIWC was used to analyse the speeches of Donald Trump, it discovered high levels of personal confidence, and low levels of analytical thinking. More intuitive thinking than fact based.

Talk about yer low-hanging fruit.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am

Since when did lying become intuitive?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:44 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Since when did lying become intuitive?

Monday.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:57 am

Gord: I checked the date. You are right. I thought we might be time traveling.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:20 am

you don't need a program to tell you the obvious...listen to grunge music...no surprise so many of them kill themselves......Trump is intuitive ...he tuned into the public who felt left out of political talk...and won...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:57 am

How about when its not obvious?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:44 am

find someone to whom it is obvious
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 am

No G..... its not obvious. Confirming the obvious cases shows that the program works. A simple demonstration you don't appear to understand.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:04 pm

when depressed people write depressing songs it's no surprise that they kill themselves...to most people...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:26 pm

yes.....that was agreed to. Can't follow your own arguments???? Ha, ha.....well.....I'M not going to kill myself over that.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:27 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Pennebaker

LIWC stands for Linguistic enquiry and Word Count. It is a computer program designed by Professor James Pennebaker of the University of Texas, along with colleagues. What it does is check the number of emotion laden words in a body of text (or a speech) and evaluate it for analysis of the nature of the writer or speaker. Apparently, this technique has been checked against the writings of many people and relates extremely well to the known nature of those writers. For example, it successfully predicted suicidal tendencies in poets who later killed themselves.

When LIWC was used to analyse the speeches of Donald Trump, it discovered high levels of personal confidence, and low levels of analytical thinking. More intuitive thinking than fact based.

However, this is not alone. It appears from many such analyses, that both presidents of the USA, and prime ministers of the UK, have been getting less analytical, less fact and evidence based, more emotional, and more intuitive in their speeches and writings, since about world war II.

Fascinating. Thanks for posting that.

As a computer scientist and professional software developer (of no great accomplishments outside of digital audio signal processing), I am curious to know the specific details how the LIWC program arrives at its conclusions.

But not curious enough (at this time) to find out.

Perhaps some day in the future when my interest on text data mining is greater. I'll add it to my list of projects to do some day. I have been accumulating a corpus of free kindle books directly from amazon that currently exceeds 140,000. My goal is to reach a million free kindle books (with an email invoice from amazon for each and every one of them). And then let the data mining commence.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:42 pm

Its all correlations.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:54 am

gorgeous wrote:listen to grunge music...no surprise so many of them kill themselves...
Correlation is not causation. I listen to grunge all the time, and can name more that are still living than those that have committed suicide.

For example, Kurt Cobain may have suicided, but David Grohl went on to an incredibly successful career after forming the Foo Fighters. And Chris Novoselic has been in a number of bands since Nirvana's...ahem...demise. All the members of Pearl Jam are alive and well, and still playing.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Postby OutOfBreath » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:06 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
gorgeous wrote:listen to grunge music...no surprise so many of them kill themselves...
Correlation is not causation. I listen to grunge all the time, and can name more that are still living than those that have committed suicide.

For example, Kurt Cobain may have suicided, but David Grohl went on to an incredibly successful career after forming the Foo Fighters. And Chris Novoselic has been in a number of bands since Nirvana's...ahem...demise. All the members of Pearl Jam are alive and well, and still playing.

If anything we should ascribe it to the seattle heroin scene in the 90s. Rip andy, kurt and layne. Chris was not drugrelated i think.

Besides, grunge was more a mix of irony, sarcasm and righteous anger/indignation at the state of the world. Speaking as a child of the 90s with a pearl jam tattoo.

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:20 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:

If anything we should ascribe it to the seattle heroin scene in the 90s. Rip andy, kurt and layne. Chris was not drugrelated i think.

Besides, grunge was more a mix of irony, sarcasm and righteous anger/indignation at the state of the world. Speaking as a child of the 90s with a pearl jam tattoo.

Peace
Dan
I agree with you, Dan. It was, in a way, a natural heir to the punk ethos of the '70s, and the hardcore and thrash ethos of the '80s. (All genres of which I'm also a fan, BTW. There's something eminently satisfying about screaming along to FEAR's I Don't Care About You. :mrgreen: Or Metallica's Damage, Inc. As well as The Adverts' Gary Gilmore's Eyes, which is a brilliant song.)

And grunge engenders that same feeling, IMO. The first time I heard those crunchy chords of Alice in Chains' Man in the Box, I fell in love with the band. Same with Chris' amazing voice in Soundgarden's Loud Love and Eddie's lyrics in Pearl Jam's Evenflow. I thought to myself, "Thank the freakin' universe...rock 'n' roll is back. No more damn hair metal." LOL
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

OutOfBreath
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Persistent ponderer

Postby OutOfBreath » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:15 am

Nikki Nyx wrote: I agree with you, Dan. It was, in a way, a natural heir to the punk ethos of the '70s, and the hardcore and thrash ethos of the '80s. (All genres of which I'm also a fan, BTW. There's something eminently satisfying about screaming along to FEAR's I Don't Care About You. :mrgreen: Or Metallica's Damage, Inc. As well as The Adverts' Gary Gilmore's Eyes, which is a brilliant song.)

Or the more introverted chant of "Erase me" from nin. :mrgreen:
I love the thrash metal sound, and appreciate bands that integrate hardcore into their sound. I see hardcore as basically the new punk, only by people who can play their instruments. :)

And grunge engenders that same feeling, IMO. The first time I heard those crunchy chords of Alice in Chains' Man in the Box, I fell in love with the band. Same with Chris' amazing voice in Soundgarden's Loud Love and Eddie's lyrics in Pearl Jam's Evenflow. I thought to myself, "Thank the freakin' universe...rock 'n' roll is back. No more damn hair metal." LOL

The good times indeed. Still love the intensity of the even flow music video. Bands with a message and great sounds derived from the best stuff from the 70s. I was basically raised on that stuff even if i was just too young to really experience them first hand.

Personally I still get goosebumps from the album version of pearl jam's "do the evolution". That's pure righteous rage barely contained to a song. :)

Peace
Dan
What is perceived as real becomes real in its consequences.

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:38 am

Microsoft Word used to have a linguistic level evaluation button. I bet I know why they got rid of it - it offended idiots.

Can't offend the idiots, these days. Idiots are sacrosanct. The Idiocracy is real.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:37 am

Here is a free use LIWC tool you can use to analyze Trumps tweets. Hint – an imbecilic village idiot. :lol: OK, OK – this tool will not tell you that. :(

But it will give you a word count and a comparison of submitted text against Personal texts and Formal texts in these categories: Self-references (I, me, my), Social words, Positive emotions, Negative emotions, Overall cognitive words, Articles (a, an, the), and Big words (> 6 letters) – whatever this means to you.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:48 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote: I agree with you, Dan. It was, in a way, a natural heir to the punk ethos of the '70s, and the hardcore and thrash ethos of the '80s. (All genres of which I'm also a fan, BTW. There's something eminently satisfying about screaming along to FEAR's I Don't Care About You. :mrgreen: Or Metallica's Damage, Inc. As well as The Adverts' Gary Gilmore's Eyes, which is a brilliant song.)

Or the more introverted chant of "Erase me" from nin. :mrgreen:
I love the thrash metal sound, and appreciate bands that integrate hardcore into their sound. I see hardcore as basically the new punk, only by people who can play their instruments. :)
For me, the best part of the '90s was that musicians started writing socially aware lyrics—something that seemed to have been mostly abandoned in the '80s—and combined them with genres as varying as grunge, pop punk (or nu punk, if you prefer), industrial, and rap metal. What a difference five years makes...

1986 Talk Dirty to Me — Poison
You know I never, I've never seen you look so good.
You never act the way you should...but I like it.
And I know you like it too...the way that I want you.
I've gotta have you! Oh yes I do!

1991 Head Like a Hole — Nine Inch Nails
God money's not looking for the cure.
God money's not concerned about the sick among the pure.
God money, let's go dancing on the backs of the bruised.
God money's not one to choose.
No, you can't take it...No, you can't take it.
No you can't take that away from me.
Head like a hole!
Black as your soul!
I'd rather die than give you control!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:35 pm

David Crosby gave a good interview on Tavis Smiley last night. Said we really needed a good protest song like OHIO to bring the various groups together today. OHIO..... going to be hard to beat.

Head Like a Hole...excellent song. all personal, nothing political.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:12 am

TJrandom wrote:Here is a free use LIWC tool you can use to analyze Trumps tweets. Hint – an imbecilic village idiot. :lol: OK, OK – this tool will not tell you that. :(

But it will give you a word count and a comparison of submitted text against Personal texts and Formal texts in these categories: Self-references (I, me, my), Social words, Positive emotions, Negative emotions, Overall cognitive words, Articles (a, an, the), and Big words (> 6 letters) – whatever this means to you.

I ran their own words through their analyser:

Details of Writer: No Details
Date/Time: 16 September 2017, 9:09 pm

LIWC Dimension Your
Data Personal
Texts Formal
Texts
Self-references (I, me, my) 5.91 11.4 4.2
Social words 15.59 9.5 8.0
Positive emotions 1.08 2.7 2.6
Negative emotions 0.00 2.6 1.6
Overall cognitive words 8.60 7.8 5.4
Articles (a, an, the) 8.06 5.0 7.2
Big words (> 6 letters) 12.37 13.1 19.6

The text you submitted was 186 words in length.

Whazzat mean?
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:48 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:David Crosby gave a good interview on Tavis Smiley last night. Said we really needed a good protest song like OHIO to bring the various groups together today. OHIO..... going to be hard to beat.
Fantastic song, I agree. A good protest song shouldn't mince words...and Neil Young didn't.

We've had artists release tons of protest songs—the entire repertoires of System of a Down and Rage Against the Machine come immediately to mind—they don't seem to work the way they used to. If you can't get people behind, "{!#%@} you, I won't do what you tell me," then I'm not sure what it'll take. Quite a few of the most popular artists have written protest songs in the past 35 years, including recently. Kendrick Lamar, for example. Even the old standby protest musicians have been active; Jello Biafra recently performed a Trump-centered version of Nazi Punks {!#%@} Off.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Head Like a Hole...excellent song. all personal, nothing political.
You don't consider an excoriation of those who perpetrate class warfare to be political?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:19 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Head Like a Hole...excellent song. all personal, nothing political.
You don't consider an excoriation of those who perpetrate class warfare to be political?

Ha, ha.............you got me. GOT me good. Yes...when that song was popular, the last two lines fit my personal relationship at the time. I didn't relate to the politics at all...... other than the politics of the personal.

Still a good song. As I recall, still a tie with "Liar" by Henry Rollins. What a nice combo.

Return to “Politics and Government”