Trump's wars

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well

Re: Trump's wars

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Tom Palven wrote:Ron Paul says the US should get out Syria:
https://www.rt.com/op-edge/393362-syria ... rone-paul/

I disagree often with Ron Paul. But not here. He has the history, the present situation, and the remedy nailed perfectly. But will Congress and the President follow his advice? I don't think so. We are headed for a confrontation with the Russians that will not be the kind of sham the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis was. This one will be for real, with enormous consequences at stake.

If it happens, there will be enough blame to go around: To Obama for plunging into this quagmire, and to Trump for digging us deeper into the mire.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:56 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:... counterproductive sanctions on both Iran and Russia. We need to DEAL with these countries. That doesn't mean embracing them, as Trump embraces Russia, or excusing their faults, as so many do with Iran. We need to look for diplomatic resolution of differences and take advantage of opportunities to cooperate in worthwhile enterprises

Yep. I agree. Russia has taken back its 1952 territory, given to Ukraine. That's not going to change. There are no other territorial expansions pending on Russia's "work sheet". The Baltic states sell food to Russia and Russia has no intention of taking back the Baltics. Russia is getting back its Black Sea ports. Russia's pressing issue now is its economy . Now is the time for the EC to try to integrate the Russian economy more into Europe and thus prevent future wars with Russia through increasing economic integration.

More washing machines for all workers and less missiles for everyone's armies....
:D

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:54 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
More washing machines for all workers and less missiles for everyone's armies.... :D

What? More washing machines, fewer missiles? Why do you hate America Ellard? :shock:
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:17 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Tom Palven wrote:Ron Paul says the US should get out Syria:
https://www.rt.com/op-edge/393362-syria ... rone-paul/

I disagree often with Ron Paul. But not here. He has the history, the present situation, and the remedy nailed perfectly. But will Congress and the President follow his advice? I don't think so. We are headed for a confrontation with the Russians that will not be the kind of sham the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis was. This one will be for real, with enormous consequences at stake.

If it happens, there will be enough blame to go around: To Obama for plunging into this quagmire, and to Trump for digging us deeper into the mire.

The Syrian war has been declared to be over, although the US regime has not acknowledged that yet:
http://news.antiwar.com/2017/08/18/assa ... vely-over/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Tom Palven
Perpetual Poster

Postby Tom Palven » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:16 am

Latest on the end of the Syrian War:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... t-in-syria
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Return to “Politics and Government”