BillO in trouble?

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: He Who Usually Means Well

BillO in trouble?

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:33 am

Reports are that advertisers are heading for the exits after the revelations of the amount of hush money he's paid out to various women. Even worse, some advertisers are locked into slots they already purchased but planning to exit once the contract is up.

As a liberal, I find this the best schadenfreude I've experienced in a long time. Think of poor Faux Noise: If they don't fire O'Reilly, they lose advertisers; if they do fire him, they lose viewers. Caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.

And what about O'Reilly himself? No doubt he has enough money to retire comfortably, but if he loses the gig at FN under these circumstances, where can he go? Armed Forces Radio?

I wonder if FN will somehow wring a confession and expression of repentance and reform out of him, just to save the situation.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: BillO in trouble?

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:21 pm

I read FAUX isn't exactly losing all that revenue since (some?) advertisers only switched to others of their programs - for now?

As for BillO, should he leave, he'll make his way to the WH. Most likely as a courtier, but maybe he'll replace Spicer? :lol:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:56 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I read FAUX isn't exactly losing all that revenue since (some?) advertisers only switched to others of their programs - for now?

As for BillO, should he leave, he'll make his way to the WH. Most likely as a courtier, but maybe he'll replace Spicer? :lol:

Yes, I wasn't cynical enough. Some of the sponsors publicly announced that this was a temporary decision. Translation: We're going to wait for the public to get tired of this story. Then we'll be back.

Still, it is working to some extent. O'Reilly's show was apparently cut by 15 minutes last night.
"A general conversion among the boys was once effected by the late excellent Mr. Fletcher: one poor boy only excepted, who unfortunately resisted the influence of the Holy Spirit, for which he was severely flogged; which did not fail of the desired effect, and impressed proper notions of religion on his mind."

James Lackington, Memoirs of the First Forty-five Years of the Life of James Lackington, the Present Bookseller

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:18 pm

Fair and balanced competition would keep the story alive, eh. At least for a bit... but who knows, maybe Sessions will kick in for him too and "protect" him - like i lerned he done for "education" and funny maths. :blink:
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:23 am

Fox will investigate Bill O'Reilly harassment claims, lawyer says
So far, 60 sponsors have said they would stop advertising on the program.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:42 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Fox will investigate Bill O'Reilly harassment claims, lawyer says
So far, 60 sponsors have said they would stop advertising on the program.

Fox News' parent company, 21st Century Fox, will open an investigation into sexual harassment claims against Bill O'Reilly, an attorney who represents one of his accusers said Sunday.

I think that part's important. If it was one of FAUX's lawyers, or one of BO's lawyers, I would take it with less seriousness -- they might just say it to make it appear like something was being done.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:40 am

The weird thing is that Fox is owned by News Limited, the Australian company run by the Murdoch family. When Rupert stood down in semi retirement, he put his two sons in charge. James and Lachlan Murdoch are my age and very nice, well balanced, liberal thinking people who do nice things for the Australian community.

It goes to show, that people will say anything and do anything to keep the other shareholders happy.

It also shows that Australians behave differently when doing media business in the USA.
:D

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:58 am

I hear it's a very sudden "vacation" for good old Bildo. Perhaps it's the over 80 sponsors who bailed? Or, maybe, it's the numerous testimonies describing the unsolicited masterbating phone sex offender. :sick:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:01 am

scrmbldggs wrote:I hear it's a very sudden "vacation" for good old Bildo. Perhaps it's the over 80 sponsors who bailed? Or, maybe, it's the numerous testimonies describing the unsolicited masterbating phone sex offender. :sick:

"But O’Reilly’s future is in the hands of the Murdochs. “It’s up to the family,” the senior Fox News staffer said. The Murdochs are presently divided over how to handle it. Two highly placed Fox News sources say 21st Century Fox CEO [b]James Murdoch would like O’Reilly to be permanently taken off the air[/b], while his father, Rupert, and older brother, Lachlan, are more inclined to keep him. (A spokesperson for the Murdochs declined to comment.)"

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... e-air.html

James ran Festival Records in Australia but that eventually folded. Lachlan lost 300 million on a Australian telecommunications company called One.Tel, so neither are seen as business savvy by Rupert. Let's keep an eye on this.

Russia may influence the USA's elections but Australia needs to keep controlling US media.
:D :D

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:06 am

Hmm, been surfing ytube and came across Megyn Kelly mentioning discussing the possible inclusion of her personal experience with Ailes in her new book with both Rupert and Lachlan (I think that's what she said) Murdoch, and both approved of her doing just that...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:42 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Hmm, been surfing ytube and came across Megyn Kelly mentioning discussing the possible inclusion of her personal experience with Ailes in her new book with both Rupert and Lachlan (I think that's what she said) Murdoch, and both approved of her doing just that...

Get out the popcorn. Another fascinating soap opera about to begin. Will BillO come back from vacation?

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:09 pm

I love the fact that the most sanctimonious "family values" christian bastards are the ones that end up in the news for not being terribly valuable to families.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:09 pm

fromthehills wrote:I love the fact that the most sanctimonious "family values" christian bastards are the ones that end up in the news for not being terribly valuable to families.

It's a tradition, especially among the evangelicals, who have a horrendous divorce rate (example: John Hagee, who is also not exactly the poster boy for a campaign against gluttony—if he said he'd been married only once, I'd believe him, because it strains credibility that there are TWO women willing to have sex with him), not to mention closeted homosexuals who demonize homosexuality (Ted Haggard), and sanctimonious upholders of the marriage vow (Jimmy Swaggart), who treat their wives with respect by having sex only with prostitutes (their wives hate sex, so this really is considerate—of course, any woman married to Jimmy Swaggart would certainly come to hate sex). It goes on and on.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:24 am

fromthehills wrote:I love the fact that the most sanctimonious "family values" christian bastards are the ones that end up in the news for not being terribly valuable to families.

Gotta love this guy - Scott_DesJarlais. :?

Or this one

Family Values: Christian conservative and Republican state Senator Ralph Shortey is busted with an underage boy in his hotel room; police recommend 3 prostitution-related charges.
Hi, Io the lurker.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:05 am

Reckon I'll grab myself another beer.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:45 am

According to the WSJ, it looks like they're fixing to cut him loose. Is it not only because of sponsors, but also because other potential legal troubles? Apparently the settlements had been not quite legally reported as the recipients' income...
Hi, Io the lurker.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Of course it's a smear campaign by the Left.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:36 pm

Next up - Trump? If only...

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:44 pm

fromthehills wrote:Of course it's a smear campaign by the Left.

Ain't it odd that the slimewads only seem to sexually harass leftist women?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:05 am

Leftist girls are easy?

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:07 am

It's the size of the ideology that matters.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:14 pm

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Hee hee! And Garry Trudeau's ace reporter Roland Hedley also weighs in on the implications:

Roland Hedley wrote:Ailes/OReilly $65MM payout is motivating male employees here to consider sexual harassment as exit strategy. Running numbers this weekend.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Hi, Io the lurker.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:31 pm

That is a devastating sequence of outtakes showing what pigs the men of Fox are.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:50 pm

It shows another one who bites the dust. One hopes it's because of changing times at FAUX High, but perhaps it's only because he slobbered the wrong person.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Genaro
Poster

Postby Genaro » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 pm

That is a devastating sequence of outtakes showing what pigs the men of Fox are.

What term do you use to describe all of the innumerable women who exhibit the exact same behavior?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:00 pm

Genaro wrote:

What term do you use to describe all of the innumerable women who exhibit the exact same behavior?

Piggettes.

Duh. :roll:
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:03 pm

The female pig is called a sow... ;)

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:09 pm

TJrandom wrote:The female pig is called a sow... ;)

Not on Fox, you speciesist!
#ANDAMOVIE

Genaro
Poster

Postby Genaro » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:52 pm

In Latin America they are affectionately referred to as "Piggycitas".

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:02 pm

Gord wrote:
TJrandom wrote:The female pig is called a sow... ;)

Not on Fox, you speciesist!

...yeah, the swine would hog it.
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:56 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:According to the WSJ, it looks like they're fixing to cut him loose. Is it not only because of sponsors, but also because other potential legal troubles? Apparently the settlements had been not quite legally reported as the recipients' income...

A second law enforcement agency has joined the U.S. Justice Department’s investigation into Fox News...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:28 am

"In February the investigation was reported to be focusing on settlements made with women who alleged sexual harassment by former Fox News boss Roger Ailes, and questions about whether Fox had a duty to inform shareholders about the settlement payments. The investigators have been asking "how the shareholder money was spent; who knew; and who should have known," one of the sources said."

Lachlan Murdoch (News Ltd /Fox) is making a bid for CH10 in Australia. CH7 in Australia used shareholder's money to pay off a woman whom the CEO had an affair with, and got crucified in the press. Lachlan Murdoch is in a bit of a pickle one way or the other. His best option is to stay out of the press.......which he is doing. :D

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:28 pm

Genaro wrote:

You think there actually ARE women who behave the way Ailes and O'Reilly and Trump do? I don't. I need no name for them, because they don't exist. And I'm working the other side of this street.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi, Io the lurker.

Upton_O_Goode
Veteran Poster

Postby Upton_O_Goode » Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 pm

What is it about working for Faux Noise that makes people stupid?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Makes? Might be that's an essential part of the qualifications?
Hi, Io the lurker.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:44 am

Hi, Io the lurker.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:02 am

that's quite the seismic shift.

Liberals are so mean: instead of getting angry, like a proper right-wing nutjob, they start to make fun of you, and are often quiet good at it.
That is possibly the biggest indicator that the US (by now far-)right is on the wrong track of history: they have no sense of humor.
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

Return to “Politics and Government”