It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Pyrrho
Administrator

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am

While I'm awake and posting...Matthew, please do not post personal identifying information, even if it is of a banned user.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:17 am

To quote our Stable Genius, "Trade wars are easy to win." So, let's see....how's that workin' out, these days?

And did you notice our very subdued and chastened Pompeo in China? The Chinese representative came out and blasted the US, demanding changes in our policy. MAGA Macho Mike responded with a weak, conciliatory statement, saying we consider China very important and would like to discuss some issues of mutual importance. Hmm, WHO is this guy, and what has he done with the REAL Mike Pompeo? It eases and soothes me to see the US humbled this way, speaking softly and cringing at the sight of the other guy's Big Stick.
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:21 am

Before I forget, I notice the Canadians have adopted the Monday-holiday meme that we have had in the US now for some decades. So, Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian interlocutors. I'll be seeing a lot of your countrymen in Burlington today, as they tend to flock down here from Montreal on such occasions. Of course, here in Vermont it's Columbus Indigenous People's Day. (Vermont is one of the few states that have adopted the new name. Always on the forefront of change. We were the first state to make marriage a gender-free institution, doing so by two-thirds vote of the legislature over a veto by a Republican governor. And this year, the Democrats are running a transgendered candidate for governor.)
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:04 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:39 am
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:59 am
Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:09 pm
scrmbldggs wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:36 am
And just for good measure, that^ ain't bobbo, but some trollish(?) Poe(?) trying to get a rise out outta people for just the heck of it.

(The difference becomes apparent immediately if put on ignore. And left that way. :-P)
That was freebill. Wave goodbye.
I don't know the freebill saga, but if he wanted to sneak back on, trying to ape someone mostly in disrepute himself ain't the smoothest move in the Universe. :roll:
Wait are you saying that this is a forum of ill repute?
Why do you think I joined???
:P
Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:28 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:39 am
Wait are you saying that this is a forum of ill repute?
It's a wretched hive of scum and villany.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:28 pm

I miss freebill!

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:06 pm

. :posting:
Lard, save me from your followers.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:46 pm

Poodle wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:28 pm
I miss freebill!
Lol it's not as if he ever goes away.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am
While I'm awake and posting...Matthew, please do not post personal identifying information, even if it is of a banned user.
Slightly related to the comment I quoted, I would like to ask everyone on this forum to not dox anyone, ever. I've seen it happen a bunch of times on facebook. I've heard of innocent people (and guilty people) having their lives ruined over stupid stuff.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:18 pm
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:04 pm

A discussion on that point, worth the read.

Personally, I don't think the time for civility and due process have passed, but the Kavanaugh appointment was not due process, it was a rigging. If your opposition won't due process, what are you going to do? Take up doormatting?
I loved the link!

We can be civil, once the Republicans actually allow Democrats to PARTICIPATE in the legislative process. When will that be? When they are voted out of power. Obama tried reason, and his reward was to be accused of unbridled partisanship. Bipartisan, to a Republican, means "do it 100% my way."

But we look at this differently. I think America is finished, and I'm just waiting for someone to haul off the corpse before it starts to smell too bad. The small band of kleptocrats who control the country are now TOTALLY independent of any regulatory agencies. They have a completely free hand to grind the rest of the populace into the dirt and despoil the whole planet. And they'll do it. After all, they think, what has posterity ever done for me?

Consider just one symptom, which is typical: The bankruptcy of Bernie Madoff's ponzi scheme a decade ago. Hundreds of thousands of people lost all of their savings. In many cases, they lost their houses as well, and are now living their old age in extreme poverty. Madoff, meanwhile, pleaded guilty and refused to give any details of his crooked scheme. Indeed, he had all the time in the world to shred records before denouncing himself. It wasn't regulators who busted him. He got busted simply because his ponzi scheme couldn't pull in new investors after the 2008 financial crash. It need not have been that way. An accountant named Harry Markopoulos figured out the scheme a full decade earlier. He spent that decade crying for an investigation and accumulating witnesses. He sent a long list of questions to be asked and people to be interviewed, complete with addresses and phone numbers, to the SEC many times. ALL they had to do was pick up the phone and talk to these witnesses. They phoned exactly ZERO of them. He got an investigative reporter for the Wall Street Journal to look at his evidence and write an expose. That expose was killed by someone higher up at the WSJ. After the collapse, Markopoulos was asked to testify before a House Committee. He was angry and told them exactly what needed to be done: Fire everybody at the SEC and start over. Exactly ZERO people were fired. (Four were "allowed to resign.") Investigators found over 300 companies that had been "feeders" to Madoff's scheme; these were criminal enterprises. Precisely 11 people have been arrested as a result. What all this shows is that the Deep State is real. It's made up of "regulators" paid, or hoping to get paid, by the companies they are nominally supposed to regulate. It's a blatant flaw in the legal system that people are allowed to be regulators, then quit and go to work for the companies they previously regulated. What it shows is that corruption was INTENDED by the people who wrote the laws.

Americans need to wake up. Our government is perfectly willing to let us sink into poverty. It will not under any circumstances take any efforts to rein in the criminals who inhabit Wall Street.

Let me rephrase that: Our government would actually PREFER that we sink into poverty.
The NY State investigation into Trumpy finances show that there are other avenues. But whether it bodes recovery of America or is dissolution, I've no idea.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Republicans don't trust Democrats anymore.
Which is natural:

you never trust the one you have betrayed.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Those with their greedy linger fingers on important buttons and a (warranted?) hope of some very strong forces behind them are comparatively still only a handful.

I do hope the saner majority will be able to prevent the looming destruction. :(

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:53 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:35 pm
The NY State investigation into Trumpy finances show that there are other avenues. But whether it bodes recovery of America or is dissolution, I've no idea.
While I have a gut feel agreement with your concern, I'll go with an unsupported general value statement: you can't succeed (for long) on any system/idea/approach based on a lie. course, religion has been doing this forever....so there are obvious exceptions. Partisan politics may be another? RATS...……….I'm back to my gut feel.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:35 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:18 pm
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:04 pm

A discussion on that point, worth the read.

Personally, I don't think the time for civility and due process have passed, but the Kavanaugh appointment was not due process, it was a rigging. If your opposition won't due process, what are you going to do? Take up doormatting?
I loved the link!

We can be civil, once the Republicans actually allow Democrats to PARTICIPATE in the legislative process. When will that be? When they are voted out of power. Obama tried reason, and his reward was to be accused of unbridled partisanship. Bipartisan, to a Republican, means "do it 100% my way."
I agree...…...although...…..not much analysis to admire, just the ego stroking of reading something I totally think myself...… Except, I do wonder, does "prolapsed {!#%@}" have a secondary meaning I'm not aware of?...……….my gut says yes but usually liberdrools don't play that card.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:53 am

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:53 pm
OlegTheBatty wrote:
While I have a gut feel agreement with your concern, I'll go with an unsupported general value statement: you can't succeed (for long) on any system/idea/approach based on a lie. course, religion has been doing this forever....so there are obvious exceptions. Partisan politics may be another? RATS...……….I'm back to my gut feel.
:lol:

There's a nice editorial in the WaPo by a former conservative who has finally woken up to the fact that the Goldwater conservatives were ALREADY batshit insane racists. If you can get the whole editorial, by all means do so. Here's a nice sample:
Max Boot wrote:The ascendance of extreme views, abetted in recent years by Fox News, Newt Gingrich, Sarah Palin and the tea party movement, increasingly made the House Republican caucus ungovernable. The far-right Freedom Caucus drove House Speaker John A. Boehner into retirement in 2015. His successor, Paul D. Ryan, lasted only three years. Ryan’s retirement signals the final repudiation of an optimistic, inclusive brand of Reaganesque conservatism focused on enhancing economic opportunity at home and promoting democracy and free trade abroad. The Republican Party will now be defined by Trump’s dark, divisive vision, with his depiction of Democrats as America-hating, criminal-coddling traitors, his vilification of the press as the “enemy of the people,” and his ugly invective against Mexicans and Muslims. The extremism that many Republicans of goodwill had been trying to push to the fringe of their party is now its governing ideology.
Here's more on the same story.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:36 pm

Asked to explain why they hate Jews, anti-Semites contradict themselves. Jews are always showing off; they are hermetic and secretive. They will not assimilate; they assimilate only too well. They are too religious; they are too materialistic, and a threat to religion. They are uncultured; they have too much culture. They avoid manual work; they work too hard. They are miserly; they are ostentatious spenders. They are inveterate capitalists; they are born Communists. And so on.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:36 pm
Nikki Haley resigns:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
odd timing.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:34 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:32 pm
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Nikki Haley resigns:

odd timing.
I thought so as well. I’m not paying as much attention to the cluster that is the Trump’s presidency but I hadn’t heard about any friction between the two.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:41 pm

Actually, the reason for her resignation has become clear:

Nikki Haley calls Jared Kushner a "hidden genius"

she has become clinically insane.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:47 pm

Yep, that’ll do it.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Just biding my time until November. I’m sure Donald will make an ass of himself again but until midterms there’s not much to say. Unless another spot on the Supreme Court opens up.

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:53 pm

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/09/politi ... cnn.com%2F

Possible theories on why....I see Haley making a run for another public office. Maybe she will run for president.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:52 pm

Generally, people resign from such position to run for another one or they greatly disagree with the President or his programs/orders. All three are likely here and as always: the combo plate.

"The greatest honor of my life...." //// Therefore, I decided to serve for just two years. ======>I thought "spend more time with my family" was de rigueur?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:28 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Nikki Haley resigns:

Indeed, whassup with this? Was she getting too much heat from other ambassadors to the UN over Trump's manic rants? Or did she just decide she personally couldn't stand the son of a bitch any longer?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:49 pm
Just biding my time until November. I’m sure Donald will make an ass of himself again but until midterms there’s not much to say. Unless another spot on the Supreme Court opens up.
I'm thinking also that, due to the Hatch Act (which Mueller respects, even if Comey doesn't), we won't hear much more about Russiagate until after the election. And then,....we'll see. Mueller must be nearly finished at this point and ready to submit a report, which the Republicans will claim vindicates Trump entirely. (The dead hooker in his hotel room has a logical, innocent explanation...)

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:28 pm
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Nikki Haley resigns:

Indeed, whassup with this? Was she getting too much heat from other ambassadors to the UN over Trump's manic rants? Or did she just decide she personally couldn't stand the son of a bitch any longer?
No one knows. I don’t think she cares about any negativity because that’s part of #MAGA. I think she could stomach a lot of the Cheeto because she doesn’t have to be in his close proximity.

Hell, can you blame Melania for going to Africa?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:42 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 pm
Mueller must be nearly finished at this point and ready to submit a report, which the Republicans will claim vindicates Trump entirely.
What have I missed? Even before the NYTimes report on Trumps Life of Felony Crime Family Boss, I thought Mueller was/IS moving towards a criminal indictment. Everything I see points that way "except for" the target being the Presnedent. This is Muellers last case. Go for Boards I say........................and the Pukes can't whitewash THAT!

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:19 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 pm
Hell, can you blame Melania for going to Africa?
Melanie when to Africa? :shock:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:14 am

Gord wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:19 am
Melanie when to Africa?
Melania even wore a pith helmet so the natives knew who was boss.

I'm not kidding.
:D
Trump in Africa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:16 am

I firmly believe that Melania is trolling Trump with her outfits and her "anti-bullying" campaign.
Very effectively, too, given the media attention.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:05 am

Haley is probably vacating the post so Trump can appoint his daughter or his son in law.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:53 am

Nepotism was the word of the day yesterday - probably means it's a done deal.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:47 am

The US is really lucky to have a family with such talent... :roll:

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:52 am

Ivanka would be a better President than Donald...

...which tells you all, really.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 am

She doesn't seem to be wearing the pants now, but First Spouse Jared might look fetching in a dress...  
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 am

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:42 am
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Mueller must be nearly finished at this point and ready to submit a report, which the Republicans will claim vindicates Trump entirely.
What have I missed? Even before the NYTimes report on Trumps Life of Felony Crime Family Boss, I thought Mueller was/IS moving towards a criminal indictment. Everything I see points that way "except for" the target being the Presnedent. This is Muellers last case. Go for Boards I say........................and the Pukes can't whitewash THAT!
Well, yeah, I know what the facts (probably) are. But I'm talking about what the Republicans will actually DO. Can you doubt that they'll claim it's a vindication? (So what if there's a bloody knife with the victim's DNA on it in my pocket? That don't prove nothin'.)

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:26 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 am
  She doesn't seem to be wearing the pants now, but First Spouse Jared might look fetching in a dress...  
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:30 am

ElectricMonk wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:16 am
I firmly believe that Melania is trolling Trump with her outfits and her "anti-bullying" campaign.
Very effectively, too, given the media attention.
I think she's great comic relief to the grimness of Trump. I can't imagine her reaction to him is anything but revulsion. But she's at heart still a shallow person who married for money and to promote her career. She is desperately trying to find some way to get a dignified image. What she's doing is no doubt all conceived and executed by the people who look after her.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:35 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:05 am
Haley is probably vacating the post so Trump can appoint his daughter or his son in law.
Trump did seem to be running that idea up the flagpole yesterday. But this is very curious: Haley resigned LAST Wednesday, a day after meeting with Trump. How come we didn't hear about it until after Kavanaugh was sworn in? Speculation is that she was finally outed to Trump as the author of that infamous op-ed telling people that, yes, Trump is an idiot, but we're being shielded from his incompetence by the people around him. She, of course, denied that firmly by writing a rebuttal to the op-ed. So, let's all give free play to our conspiratorial suspicions and say that she wrote BOTH of them, and the second one was just to cover her ass.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:37 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:42 am
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Well, yeah, I know what the facts (probably) are. But I'm talking about what the Republicans will actually DO. Can you doubt that they'll claim it's a vindication? (So what if there's a bloody knife with the victim's DNA on it in my pocket? That don't prove nothin'.)
If the report won't be seen by any others but his enablers and protectors, it would seem it's quite useless.

I wonder if Rosenstein told him that that's what the plan is (if it's actually so or not...). I also wonder what he (Rosenstein) was told (and/or promised) by the snake charmer recently on AF-1. And if the DAG will start behaving like Linseed Gram without the steadying hand of McCain.