It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 am

Dang, I almost forgot. It would seem prudent that every denizen read this discussion by Pyrrho.
Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:55 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Dang, I almost forgot. It would seem prudent that every denizen read this discussion by Pyrrho.

thanks we (by we I mean I) need to be stricter here and not cross any lines . . . good reminder
"It was still at the stage of clubs and fists, hurrah, tala"

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:18 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Dang, I almost forgot. It would seem prudent that every denizen read this discussion by Pyrrho.

thanks we (by we I mean I) need to be stricter here and not cross any lines . . . good reminder

Danke, SM.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:23 am

The Guardian on Monday's markets: "Financial markets are braced for more volatility this week amid predictions from the world’s biggest hedge fund that a 'big shakeout' is coming," with one analyst noting that "what started as systematic funds selling out of equity and futures positions . . . has morphed into something far more broad-based incorporating many other market participants."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:29 am

. :sinking:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:31 am

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:39 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:The Guardian on Monday's markets: "Financial markets are braced for more volatility this week amid predictions from the world’s biggest hedge fund that a 'big shakeout' is coming," with one analyst noting that "what started as systematic funds selling out of equity and futures positions . . . has morphed into something far more broad-based incorporating many other market participants."

I figure the thing lost sanity at 15K-17K.... (and that's generous)... Be interesting how that genius' prediction plays out.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:42 am

I think it has a ways to go. The wild card is the extent to which investors are freaked by the impact of the tax cuts and budget deal they longed for - it's kind of pay me now, or pay me later - and how much now?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:08 am

So they are floating rumors that Dumpy is grumpy about Porter's alleged behavior - but everyone agrees (many are saying) that his foul mood revolves around how the issue was exposed/handled, of course.

Balmoral95
Veteran Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:29 am

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:38 am

Balmoral95 wrote:https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/politics-and-government/trump-to-disclose-1-5t-infrastructure-plan-on-monda/

Ah, the good old "you can only get money if you have money" approach.
It's basically another present for wealthy communities to pretty-up their place at half the cost.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:14 am

To cover only 20% of project costs, with states and cities to cover the balance - a far cry from the current 50% to 80% federal portion for projects. It will be interesting to see if 20% will be enough to bring projects forward.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:29 am

>> "Officials said the $200 billion in federal support would come from cuts to existing programs." From current infrastructure programs? :mrgreen:

Actually Mulvaney is saying where Trump wants to get the bulk of the $200bn: “Take the money that the Democrats want to put to these social programs, and move it to things like infrastructure. . . .”

Peter DeFazio (D-OR) and member of the House Transportation Committee, echoes Schumer's latest position, saying that "This is not a real infrastructure plan — it’s simply another scam, an attempt by this administration to privatize critical government functions, and create windfalls for their buddies on Wall Street. This fake proposal will not address the serious infrastructure needs facing this country, so our potholed roads will get worse, our bridges and transit systems will become more dangerous, and our tolls will become higher."

With this plan, drivers will be paying "Trump tolls," to make the intended corporate investments pay off, for use of basic infrastructure like never before.

Even the media's calling the program $1.5tn is a rhetorical win for the administration: they are proposing a $200bn plan - with hopes that cash-strapped states and localities will pony up $1.3tn. Heck, if Congress manages to pass only a $50bn plan, they will hold a Rose Garden ceremony and say they've rebuilt America.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Cheery wakeup note from David J. Lynch and Damian Paletta in today's WaPo:
Trump’s tax and spending plan will shower the economy with hundreds of billions of additional dollars in coming years, which is expected to spur growth but risks a cycle of rising prices. Financial markets have been selling off, in part, because of inflation fears.

“The economy appears to be on the verge of overheating and ­arguably needs less, not more, stimulus,” economist Jim O’Sullivan of High Frequency Economics said in a research note Friday. . . .

The $1 trillion annual deficits will act as rocket fuel on an economy that already is running hotter than the Federal Reserve says is sustainable. The danger is that adding demand to the economy, at a time when unemployment is low, will push wages and then prices higher and higher.

Such an inflationary spiral would force the Federal Reserve to raise interest rates to cool off the economy, which would make Washington’s spending problem even worse by increasing the interest bill on the national debt.

It also threatens to leave the United States unable to respond adequately to a recession.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... b93cac7669

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Unlimited_Oracular_Guidance

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:16 pm

I get the idea Fox News would like to go back to 1947 and hold the line on hiring Jackie Robinson.

John Moody wrote:The motto of the Olympics, since 1894, has been 'Faster, Higher, Stronger.' It appears the U.S. Olympic Committee would like to change that to 'Darker, Gayer, Different.' If your goal is to win medals, that won't work.

Because of course, the "darker, gayer, different" athletes have degraded the quality of sports in the US, as everyone knows who watches the NBA or the NFL. Or watched Bob Gibson and the St. Louis Cardinals take the lily-white Yankees apart in the 1964 World Series. (As a native of St. Louis, I had to add that last bit.) Or watched Henry Aaron shatter Babe Ruth's home run record. Or watched Greg Luganis dive, or watched Martina Navratilova play tennis.

Wonder why Fox News deleted this post. Any thoughts? Any chance they'll now delete John Moody from their payroll?
I don't know anything about quantum mechanics, but I know what I like.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:22 pm

and, poof, Trump's paying Stormy Daniels to keep her mouth shut is no longer a thing . . .

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:and, poof, Trump's paying Stormy Daniels to keep her mouth shut is no longer a thing . . .

I’m not really surprised, this administration moves at such a breakneck pace scandals appear and disappear with breathtaking speed.
A joke going around Moscow during The Great Terror:

The NKVD knocks on a door.
The inhabitants ask who it is.
“NKVD.”
“You’ve got the wrong apartment. The Communists are upstairs.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:27 pm

They have been "getting away with it" for far too long, it's become the norm. And, sure, there have always been some, but has there ever been such a concentration of stoopidz at the helm? What did they put in their god-given Tea?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:and, poof, Trump's paying Stormy Daniels to keep her mouth shut is no longer a thing . . .

But what about despicable Al Franken?!?!!!!

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Remember all that growth and tax revenue promised by Trumpsters from the tax law? Oh my. Trump’s budget

- calls for big increases in military spending as well as close to $20bn funding for The Wall

- has big cuts in Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps and other such programs ($3tn! in cuts - over half a trillion in Medicaid, also cuts to make Medicare recipients pay more of their drug costs) to pay for tax cut, military spending, and The Wall

- even so, fails to balance the budget - one of Trump’s promises - by 2027 - instead adds $7tn to debt ($2tn of this in next two years)

- has a deficit of $450bn in 2027

As WaPo laconically notes, “Last year, the White House projected its tax and spending proposals would lead to a budget surplus of $16 billion in 2027. . . . The biggest factor in the White House’s deficit problems appears to be issues caused by the tax law, which the Trump administration had previously refused to acknowledge would occur. The White House had promised that last year’s tax cut plan would pay for itself by generating so much revenue that it would not add to the deficit.”

Assuming the $3tn of cuts to social programs won't pass, the deficit and debt problems will be even worse. Basically, as was clear during the selling campaign, the Trumpsters and congressional Republicans lied about the tax cuts to rev up their Tax PR Pitch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... a6fe823fa1

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:50 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
- has big cuts in Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps and other such programs ($3tn! in cuts - over half a trillion in Medicaid, also cuts to make Medicare recipients pay more of their drug costs)...

That's OK, since he so vehemently drove down the prices.... oh, wait... :|

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:29 pm

I do hope Paul Ryan's friend will still be happy about her $1.50 weekly increase when she finds interest rates have gone trough the roof...

Jeffk 1970
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 pm

A joke going around Moscow during The Great Terror:

The NKVD knocks on a door.
The inhabitants ask who it is.
“NKVD.”
“You’ve got the wrong apartment. The Communists are upstairs.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:21 pm

American taxpayers reportedly paid $6.6 million in airfare alone this year for President Donald Trump’s frequent trips to Mar-a-Lago

https://www.snopes.com/obama-trump-travel-costs/ wrote:
...the Obama family’s travel expenses during the entire eight years of his presidency totaled approximately $106 million, according to the most recent FOIA numbers released by the conservative watchdog group Judicial Watch, who kept close tabs on Obama’s spending. The Obamas’ travel expenses therefore averaged about $1.1 million per month over the course of his term.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:14 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote::? I wonder what spooked her, Rachel Brand, 3rd ranking official at Justice Dept., is stepping down

Speculation is that she'd have to be in charge of Mueller once Sessions's lieutenant gets fired.

confirmation, more or less

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 am

Transparency...

"I just spoke with American President Trump," Putin told Abbas before continuing the talks behind closed doors. "Obviously we spoke about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict."

Netanyahu on Monday said he had been in talks with Washington about annexing settlements in the occupied West Bank, a move condemned by a top Palestinian official as "land theft".

The White House denied Netanyahu's claims...

Trump Gave Putin A Message To Pass Along to the Palestinians

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:05 am

Is this guy digging up he dirt on those Dumpy (and Handler[s]) would enslave?
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:05 am

a bit of a round-up:

1. BuzzFeed effort to verify the dossier, which it first published

2. I've read a couple of analyses of the infrastructure plan/Trump budget that say that, in addition to selling off airports to companies and flipping from 80% fed % to 20% fed $ for big infrastructure projects, the Trump budget would cut more infrastructure spending than it would add! The $200bn Trump is offering as the 20% infrastructure incentive is offset by cuts to infrastructure spending proposed in the budget: "the Center for American Progress says it has counted $281 billion in infrastructure cuts in the budget—making the two proposals a net negative for infrastructure spending" - almost 1/4 of this cut is from transportation. (Slate)

3. Also the proposed Trump budget assumes repeal of ACA and its replacement with Graham-Cassidy - and cuts of over 7% to Medicare and 22.5% to ACA subsidies by 20208

4. The Trump budget assumes close to 3% growth per year (current project is close to 2%).

5. Omarosa sez that VP Pence, hero of the Stare Wars in Korea, “thinks Jesus tells him to say things.”

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by TJrandom » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote: ...
5. Omarosa sez that VP Pence, hero of the Stare Wars in Korea, “thinks Jesus tells him to say things.”

I`ve met some of those kooks - been told with a straight face that they speak with God, in conversations no less. Scary indeed.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:49 am

Omarosa herself is a kook . . . but I digress . . . I wanted to post about Trump's war on the cities - for the life of me, I can't figure out what could be behind it.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:45 pm

Oh goody! Now our allies, and perhaps even our air force, are killing Russians in Syria. Way to go, Trump!

But I will say, it appears from this story that Trump is allowing Putin to play a larger role in the ME. Much as I despise Putin, I'd rather have him steering events than Trump. At least, Putin is sane enough to consider the consequences of his actions. Case in point: Netenyahu is now making noises about fulfilling his long-term ambition of outright annexing the West Bank. While moving the US embassy to Jerusalem was a bit unsettling, it is a mere fleabite compared to this, which would be deeply destabilizing. Putin will now get the Palestinians as a client, and he will also have to defend Iran from a pre-emptive Israeli strike. Both Putin and Netenyahu regard Trump as a very useful idiot; I hope between the two of them, they can work out a way to preserve the peace. Perhaps (who knows?) quiet diplomacy might work? It's a crazy idea, I know.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Omarosa herself is a kook . . . but I digress . . . I wanted to post about Trump's war on the cities - for the life of me, I can't figure out what could be behind it.

I will take that last statement as irony/sarcasm. To Trump, it's an all-out war right now, and he expects to vanquish the enemy and force them to swear fealty to the God Of Plutocracy (GOP). It's too obvious to require remarking that he is not sane, and that he is enraged by the thought that any services are being provided to people who don't have enough money to make him personally richer. Greed and narcissism have quite literally driven him insane.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:52 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Statistical Mechanic wrote: ...

I`ve met some of those kooks - been told with a straight face that they speak with God, in conversations no less. Scary indeed.

I said it long ago, and I'll repeat it now. To get rid of Trump and install Pence would be like replacing Caligula with John Calvin. Would you rather live in first-century Italy or 16th-century Switzerland?

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Remember all that growth and tax revenue promised by Trumpsters from the tax law? Oh my. Trump’s budget

- calls for big increases in military spending as well as close to $20bn funding for The Wall

- has big cuts in Medicare, Medicaid, food stamps and other such programs ($3tn! in cuts - over half a trillion in Medicaid, also cuts to make Medicare recipients pay more of their drug costs) to pay for tax cut, military spending, and The Wall

- even so, fails to balance the budget - one of Trump’s promises - by 2027 - instead adds $7tn to debt ($2tn of this in next two years)

- has a deficit of $450bn in 2027

As WaPo laconically notes, “Last year, the White House projected its tax and spending proposals would lead to a budget surplus of $16 billion in 2027. . . . The biggest factor in the White House’s deficit problems appears to be issues caused by the tax law, which the Trump administration had previously refused to acknowledge would occur. The White House had promised that last year’s tax cut plan would pay for itself by generating so much revenue that it would not add to the deficit.”

Assuming the $3tn of cuts to social programs won't pass, the deficit and debt problems will be even worse. Basically, as was clear during the selling campaign, the Trumpsters and congressional Republicans lied about the tax cuts to rev up their Tax PR Pitch.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... a6fe823fa1

What are the chances Republicans in the House and Senate will balk at cutting Medicare? It ought to be political suicide, and I sincerely hope it will be, but I wouldn't bet a plugged nickel on any of those linguini-spined {!#%@} having enough courage to defy the Master.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:What are the chances Republicans in the House and Senate will balk at cutting Medicare?

I think they want to cut it - hasn't that been part of their mantra since it was first passed and enshrined in countless Ryan plans and proposals of their think tanks? I take them at their word . . . but it is an election year. So they might could hold off until next year, assuming they keep control of Congress in the midterms, then hit it hard. Also, the budget needs 60 votes in the Senate, so Democrats can prevent some of these cuts (probably many of them). I would guess that - as it's easier to divide people over Medicaid and attack recipients as undeserving ingrates - they will continue to concentrate fire on Medicaid despite Trump's targeting Medicare for twice the cuts he wants in Medicaid. The Part D drug stuff is pretty complicated and I have yet to read a summary that is that helpful. My sense is that it raises out of pocket expenses for recipients who are not extremely ill.

Upton_O_Goode wrote:It ought to be political suicide, and I sincerely hope it will be, but I wouldn't bet a plugged nickel on any of those linguini-spined {!#%@} having enough courage to defy the Master.

I see this one rather the other way around: Lazy-Ass, who promised not to cut Medicare, or Medicaid for that matter, is just going with the course of least resistance for him - converging with the congressional GOP, Club for Growth, Heritage Foundation, etc.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

no wonder Omarosa is dishing big time, turns out she was fired for using WH car service against rules (https://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/ ... ouse-fired) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Trump on infrastructure and its chances in Congress: “If for any reason, they don’t want to support to it, hey, that’s going to be up to them. What was very important to me was the military; what was very important to me was the tax cuts.”

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:30 pm

...to make sure the American carnage comes true and "my work (job) here is done"? Whatever happened to "infrastructure is sexy"?