Refugees from the US

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Refugees from the US

Postby Gord » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:26 am

People are risking their lives to get into Canada from the US after being denied refugee status there.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3923430

Refugees frostbitten after walking to Manitoba border

Two men from Ghana are recovering in the burn ward of a Winnipeg hospital after getting lost near the Emerson border on Christmas Eve while fleeing the United States....

...Environment Canada records show the temperature in the Emerson, Man., area on the morning of Dec. 24 was hovering around the –18 C mark before the windchill. CBC meteorologist John Sauder said skin can freeze within 30 minutes in that temperature....

...Newcomer advocates who spoke to CBC on Thursday say they're seeing an increase in refugee claimants coming to the Manitoba border for help.

"Just in November alone we had 31 claimants," said Rita Chahal, the executive director of the Manitoba Interfaith Immigration Council.

Chahal said there's a network in Minneapolis of refugee claimants who are fleeing the United States.

They are primarily from Somalia and Ghana, she said....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3930146

Frostbitten refugee will lose fingers, toe after 7-hour trek to cross U.S.-Canada border

A Ghanaian refugee who almost died during a trek to cross the U.S.-Canada border into Manitoba on Christmas Eve will lose all of his fingers, a toe and possibly his arms....

...Mohammed said he fled Ghana for the United States in 2015 because he feared for his life due to his sexual orientation, but when he arrived in San Diego, he was detained for a year.

He applied for asylum after his visa ran out but a judge denied his request....

...He and another Ghanaian man, who he met in Minneapolis, decided to flee to Canada. The two of them took a bus to Grand Forks, N.D., then flagged a cab and spent $400 for a ride to a spot near the U.S.-Canada border on Dec. 24....

...For at least seven hours, the two trudged through snowy fields with the temperature hovering around the –18 C mark, without the wind chill factored in....

..."If not for [a truck driver], we would have died in that snow," said Mohammed....

...Mohammed is one of hundreds of refugees this year that have crossed the Canada-U.S. border into Manitoba between ports of entry.

According to the Canada Border Services Agency figures, there's been a fivefold increase in the number of refugee claimants crossing between ports of entry in the past three years.

The Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement requires refugees to seek asylum in the first country they arrive, with a few exceptions.

Some advocates say the agreement is the reason refugees sometimes put their lives at risk sneaking into countries like Canada.

"If the Safe Third Country Agreement would be scrapped, then these people would not be risking their lives through the prairie open field," said Bashir Khan, a Winnipeg immigration and refugee lawyer who has taken on the Ghanaian refugees' case.

They'd be able to present themselves right at the border," he said....

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as- ... -1.3927612

Abandoned by smugglers on Toronto's streets, refugees treated for severe frostbite

...in Toronto, doctors have seen nine cases in the past three weeks of frostbite. That's after women and children were left in remote areas of the city by human smugglers....

...PC: We hear that they have been transported in a truck, generally. There are a number of people in a cold, unlit truck. The journey can take up to three hours. All cases have come from the US. Their original journey started in sub-Saharan Africa.

HM: Given where they originate, do they even know what frostbite is?
PC: Even for us, we've been stunned when, I guess it was the last patient we saw, put her hand out finally. She looked at us and said, "What is wrong with my hands?" We said it's frostbite. "What is that?" was the answer. In the first case, the woman's hands that were most severely injured that I described, she had huddled her 18-month-old child under the only coat she had and had kept that hand over that child's face for three hours.

HM: Have you heard from them or from anyone who is keeping an eye on what is happening here, why they decided to make this trip from the US to Canada?

PC: Their comments to us are that they are told it's not a good environment for them to be in the United States now as a refugee, as somebody coming in to make a claim. They've been told that they are going to have to have their journey extended. Our main focus here is alerting — it's a long border. We saw what happened in Winnipeg....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Refugees from the US

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:04 am

Meh, I'm moving to Queensland.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:20 am

Excellent.

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:27 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3983671

...The Trump administration issued an executive order that banned travel into the U.S. by people from Somalia, Iraq, Iran, Yemen, Libya, Sudan and Syria. The ban was rejected last week by an appeals court.

But the prospect of the ban has led to refugee claimants taking desperate measures to enter Canada....

...The journey to the illegal crossings normally begins in Minneapolis. From there, smugglers will take refugees close to Manitoba for $600.
Once they get close, the smugglers will let them out and point them in the direction of the Canadian border....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3983671

CBC reporter finds Somali asylum seeker who says he walked 21 hours into Manitoba

There's a video there that I can't link to.

Why are so many people crossing the border illegally into Canada? Part of the problem is the Canada–United States Safe Third Country Agreement:

Under the Safe Third Country Agreement, persons seeking refugee protection must make a claim in the first country they arrive in (United States or Canada), unless they qualify for an exception to the Agreement. Therefore, refugee claimants arriving from the United States at the Canada–United States land border can only pursue their refugee claims in Canada if they meet an exception under the Safe Third Country Agreement.

In other words, if they try to cross legally, they will almost certainly be turned back. BUT!...once they manage to cross the border, Canada will let them apply for refugee status.
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 pm

I'm looking at property in Surrey, somewhere around Little Whinging. England should have a livable climate in about ten years.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:45 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I'm looking at property in Surrey, somewhere around Little Whinging. England should have a livable climate in about ten years.

Ah, but when Trump drains that swamp there will be a flood of people walking across....

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:14 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I'm looking at property in Surrey, somewhere around Little Whinging. England should have a livable climate in about ten years.

Ah, but when Trump drains that swamp there will be a flood of people walking across....

We won't be letting the bloody colonials in ... after I get there and get settled, of course. Image

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:12 am

Another wall?

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 am

TJrandom wrote:Another wall?

Mid-Atlantic Ridge.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Make the Icelanders pay for it. They're already living on it.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:26 pm

Don't say ... Ahhh!!! Too late.

Now all transatlantic traffic will be subject to a tariff for crossing Icelandic territory. Serves us right, I suppose for digging too far into certain financial arrangements.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:38 am

takes money from someone they know will probably get frostbite = intelligent normal
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 am

Poodle wrote:Serves us right, I suppose for digging too far into certain financial arrangements.

The Dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dûm. Shadow....
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:07 am

Gord wrote:
Poodle wrote:Serves us right, I suppose for digging too far into certain financial arrangements.

The Dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dûm. Shadow....

...a Ball Hog of Lakers.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri May 19, 2017 9:55 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.4121034

Frostbitten asylum seeker wins case to stay in Canada

A Ghanaian asylum seeker who lost his fingers to frostbite while crossing into Manitoba from the U.S. on Christmas Eve has won his case to stay....

Yay!!

...Mohammed fled Ghana for the United States in 2015 fearing for that his sexual orientation would put his life in danger.

He says he was outed as a bisexual man during soccer training camp in Brazil in 2014 after the team manager found him with a same-sex partner....

..."It's illegal to be gay in Ghana. It's a crime," said Khan, noting the refugee board "acknowledged him as a person in need of protection."...

...Mohammed had applied for a refugee claim in the United States when his visa ran out, but it was denied because he couldn't pay the required bond.

Fearing U.S. President Donald Trump's immigration crackdown, Mohammed made the decision — like hundreds of others in the past year — to sneak into Canada and apply for refugee status....

...While planning his crossing, Mohammed met another man, Razak Iyal, 35, who had the same idea.

The two of them took a bus to Grand Forks, N.D., then flagged a cab and spent $400 for a ride to a spot near the U.S.-Canada border on Dec. 24. From there, they made the long walk into Emerson, Man.

It was Christmas Eve, and the underdressed men shambled through frozen fields in a temperature that hovered around the –18 C mark, but with a wind chill that made it feel more like –30....

Mohammed lost all his fingers and both thumbs. Razak lost all ten fingers but not his thumbs.

...Mohammed said doctors could have used some of his toes to replace them, but he declined because he wanted to still be able to play soccer....

Well. Sure. There's that.

...Despite everything he endured, and has yet to overcome, Mohammed said he regrets nothing....

He'll fit in around here, he already knows his memes!

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-regret-nothing
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Politics and Government”