Updates and stuff

Post your questions and suggestions here.
Pyrrho
Administrator

Updates and stuff

Postby Pyrrho » Thu May 07, 2015 11:10 am

Maybe this weekend, maybe next week..

Basically the top navigation for the default style template is going to change to match the updated top navigation at skeptic.com, and since I'll be "under the hood" anyway, I am going to update the forum software. This version is slated for "end of life" later this year and "end of support" later this month. The present seems like as good a time as any to deal with this pressing issue of our times.

I apologize in advance for the disruption to your convenience. I have contacted FEMA and the Red Cross for a supply of bad coffee, surplus Army rations, and squares of thin fabric they quaintly call "blankets."

I'll have increasingly vague information for you later if not sooner. Right now I have to go fend for life and limb against morons and idiots on the Interstate.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Updates and stuff

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu May 07, 2015 11:35 am

"And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour."
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Monster » Thu May 07, 2015 12:53 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I'll have increasingly vague information for you later if not sooner.

We appreciate it.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu May 07, 2015 6:26 pm

Okay, who's slowing down the internets! :evil: Everything, everywhere, is taking twice as long as usual to open. Even google. Even the super-secret message board I post on where there are only seven members and I never told you about it because it doesn't exist. Everything!

I demand a hug.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu May 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Hug on its way...

Spoiler:

Last edited by scrmbldggs on Thu May 07, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Thu May 07, 2015 6:36 pm

That reminds me, I have to do laundry.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Postby Angel » Thu May 07, 2015 7:01 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:"And when he had opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven about the space of half an hour."

I keep praying for the silence!!!!!!!!!!
My blue heaven :-D
The Nothing
The key to healing is to forgive perfectly.
It's the only thing I actually do right hahaha When you forgive perfectly ~ you forget perfectly.
Ja who
Loves You
Xo.oX

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Thu May 07, 2015 11:05 pm

Gord wrote:Okay, who's slowing down the internets! :evil: Everything, everywhere, is taking twice as long as usual to open. Even google. Even the super-secret message board I post on where there are only seven members and I never told you about it because it doesn't exist. Everything!

I demand a hug.

Tell me about it. The morning commute took 2 hours when it usually takes 45 minutes.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 08, 2015 1:48 am

I was thinking of giving you a hug, or giving you a truck. Then I thought you might like this. :-D

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri May 08, 2015 3:34 am

scrmbldggs wrote:I was thinking of giving you a hug, or giving you a truck. Then I thought you might like this. :-D

To whom are you giving clogged arteries?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 08, 2015 3:51 am

TJrandom wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:I was thinking of giving you a hug, or giving you a truck. Then I thought you might like this. :-D

To whom are you giving clogged arteries?

No no no, relieving Py's stress of driving on clogged arteries causing clogged arteries. :-P

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Fri May 08, 2015 5:09 am

Steak is a terrible waste of relatively adequate hamburger meat.
#ANDAMOVIE

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat May 09, 2015 9:21 pm

I could deal with that steak. Someone's gotta do it.

Anyway, this evening I am installing a clean setup of the new version so I can develop a style template that is customized to the updated skeptic.com appearance.

After I get the style template figured out we'll see about the actual conversion. When I actually do that I will be converting a copy of the database. The original database and forum files will be left as they are. That way when I screw it all up I won't have to unscrew it.

Once the actual conversion is complete I intend to avoid adding any extensions or modifications from the official code, for easier updates and maintenance. At least that's the operating hypothesis, which has been independently verified by Murphy and Finagle.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat May 09, 2015 9:37 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I could deal with that steak. Someone's gotta do it.

Anyway, this evening I am installing a clean setup of the new version so I can develop a style template that is customized to the updated skeptic.com appearance.

After I get the style template figured out we'll see about the actual conversion. When I actually do that I will be converting a copy of the database. The original database and forum files will be left as they are. That way when I screw it all up I won't have to unscrew it.

Once the actual conversion is complete I intend to avoid adding any extensions or modifications from the official code, for easier updates and maintenance. At least that's the operating hypothesis, which has been independently verified by Murphy and Finagle.

Yeah, but has the SNAFU Society signed off on it?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat May 09, 2015 10:35 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:I could deal with that steak. Someone's gotta do it.

Yeah, but has the SNAFU Society signed off on it?

Not yet. Pencil lead keeps breaking and we can't find a pen that has ink in it.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat May 09, 2015 11:50 pm

Apply FUBAR as needed. IMAC as appropriate, using military-grade CYA.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat May 16, 2015 11:20 pm

Okey-dokey here we go....

I have just about finished adapting the style template for the new forum installation and will probably commence the conversion process later this evening or early tomorrow morning. I'm still looking through it and changing a few minor things.

Persons wishing to inspect the updated version can go here:

cosmos

That is a test installation for development only and will be deleted when this forum is converted.

I will be adding a "Black" style template and a blue-themed style template in addition to the default prosilver style template. All of the style templates are responsive and should work well on mobile devices.

You can use the following account to test things if you wish:

Username: Test Account

Password: testAccount0001

(ETA: Nope. Deleted the Test Account. The system would allow different people using the same account to see someone else's IP because of the "Remember Me" login keys.)

A few things that will change:

Separate login name will be gone. You will have to log in using your regular username.

Totally ignore "foes" will be gone. Sorry about that.

Ignore topics will be gone. I'm not quite sure it's even working here.

Avatars, attached images, and smilies will be copied to the new installation at conversion time.

Conversion will be applied to a copy of this forum's database in order to avoid a disaster. If the conversion fails for any reason the original database will not be affected.

Likewise, the forum software files will be left alone. The converted forum will be running on new software.

This forum will be locked during the conversion process. After all is done and appears to be working correctly then the new forum will be the primary and this forum will be retained for a while as a locked archive.

The current list of filtered words will likewise be ported over. Unfortunately the default setting will be "Enabled" for the word censor but you will be able to disable that in your user control panel.

I may also use a separate administrator account for forum maintenance and administrative crap, using a regular account for any posting I do outside of that function. That way people can ignore those posts.

There was something else I thought of but I forget what it was...oh yeah, I remember...after all this is done I won't be tinkering with the software by adding modifications. Easier to maintain and is better for security that way.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun May 17, 2015 12:01 am

That's a spooky place. :-P

The new User Control Panel looks a bit bare. I take it those missing starsfunctions (besides those you mentioned) will appear later?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun May 17, 2015 12:10 am

Not sure what may be missing....the Test Account can't change email or password so those options aren't there.

I can open it up for regular user registration if you want. It will all be deleted anyway.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun May 17, 2015 12:16 am

I opened it up for folks to register accounts if they want.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun May 17, 2015 12:16 am

You're repeating yourself. Take a nap.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun May 17, 2015 12:19 am

Just from a quick look, "Hide thanks", "Profile privacy" and "Pop up window on new private message" aren't in the global settings? Notifications has it's own tab now but misses "Notify me if someone thanks my post."

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun May 17, 2015 12:37 am

Forgot about the "thanks"...that won't be there either. I had hoped phpBB would make it a default feature. They didn't.

Profile privacy is another option that won't make the transition. I thought the popup was a default phpBB option. I'll have to check.

(ETA: looks like they removed that option in favor of "notifications.")

I am dumping the Test Account. I discovered that it is possible to view someone else's IP in the control panel. Oopsie.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun May 17, 2015 12:53 am

I'm done for the night. Please try it out and post info about any problems in this thread. I'm in no particular hurry to move on this anyway.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon May 18, 2015 9:17 pm

The time zone seems to think Winnipeg is in America. (It's actually in Canada.)
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon May 18, 2015 9:25 pm

Gord wrote:The time zone seems to think Winnipeg is in America. (It's actually in Canada.)

Not so fast there.... :roll:

http://missouri.hometownlocator.com/mo/ ... nnipeg.cfm

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon May 18, 2015 10:15 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gord wrote:The time zone seems to think Winnipeg is in America. (It's actually in Canada.)

Good news! You're very close to Branson.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Mon May 18, 2015 11:19 pm

Yeah it looked weird to me. If I could I'd change it all to ZULU time.

Anyway, I am planning to do the update on Friday or Saturday, weather permitting.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 19, 2015 12:45 am

Pyrrho wrote:

Anyway, I am planning to do the update on Friday or Saturday, weather permitting.

You mean if you have to stay inside because of a tornado?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Tue May 19, 2015 1:49 am

TJrandom wrote:

Fake.
#ANDAMOVIE

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Tue May 19, 2015 1:54 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:

You mean if you have to stay inside because of a tornado?

Pretty much.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue May 19, 2015 6:50 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:

Good news! You're very close to Branson.

I have actually driven thru Branson – kept my windows up, shlunched down in the seat, slowed just slightly so as to not bring on any unwanted attention – and possibly get stopped and forced to breathe the air which was filled with religious nuttery….

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 19, 2015 10:57 am

Why did you drive through Branson? It's not exactly on I-44.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue May 19, 2015 11:17 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Why did you drive through Branson? It's not exactly on I-44.

I enjoyed seeing the countryside wherever I travelled, so I frequently took side trips. I generally used frequent flyer miles to add a leg and then drive back to my next airport. That was a very pretty area, save the blight of tourist trap development.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue May 19, 2015 2:02 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Why did you drive through Branson? It's not exactly on I-44.

I enjoyed seeing the countryside wherever I travelled, so I frequently took side trips. I generally used frequent flyer miles to add a leg and then drive back to my next airport. That was a very pretty area, save the blight of tourist trap development.

True. Sciwoman and I are going down that way for our anniversary. Should be worth a few lols. Pix pend.

Test Dummy

Postby Test Dummy » Fri May 22, 2015 3:57 pm

Are we there yet?  

:hyper:
Ayup.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Fri May 22, 2015 4:02 pm

No. Keep rowing.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 22, 2015 4:06 pm

:pc:

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Fri May 22, 2015 4:08 pm

Ok, looks like we're there. Stay away from the water and don't get sand in your shoes.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri May 22, 2015 4:25 pm

Am nosing around and so far my old settings remained the same. :-D

Hover mouse doesn't work as before. :glare:
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Fri May 22, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Help Desk”