Updates and stuff

Post your questions and suggestions here.
Pyrrho
Administrator

Re: Updates and stuff

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:16 pm

ucp.php?i=167

Go to your User Control panel and join the Private Topics usergroup.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:37 pm

Pyrrho wrote:http://www.skepticforum.com/ucp.php?i=167

Go to your User Control panel and join the Private Topics usergroup.

"That's just what they're expecting me to do."

Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:51 am

Pyrrho wrote: Go to your User Control panel and join the Private Topics usergroup.
I feel like an idiot. I have been here almost ten years and never knew private topics user groups existed.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:46 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Maybe helpful?

Image[/quote]

I just asked and she didnt show up.

But I did get the code to sentr the enlarj.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:01 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Pyrrho wrote: Go to your User Control panel and join the Private Topics usergroup.
I feel like an idiot. I have been here almost ten years and never knew private topics user groups existed.

Its not you. Its management. Its ALWAYS management.

A cut and paste boiler plate regarding where posts have gone, reposting rules, .... etc.... "should" go with every management actions.

Action without explanation is.....................(lack of due process)...... and what is a fine functioning watch except one that has been lubricated with INFORMATION.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:57 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:

Its not you. Its management. Its ALWAYS management.

A cut and paste boiler plate regarding where posts have gone, reposting rules, .... etc.... "should" go with every management actions.

Action without explanation is.....................(lack of due process)...... and what is a fine functioning watch except one that has been lubricated with INFORMATION.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=21140

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:12 am

Exactly. That link should be part of the boilerplate to accompany certain actions taken by Management rather than taking action without any explanations at all.

I'd even take it further. I'm actually curious as to why the two threads with "Dave" regarding the Holocaust and/or WW2 where Locked. Was it the subject matter, or the name calling? For Myself, the name calling of Dave really did help incapsulate where he was coming from. Quite helpful.

Now, I think Pyrrho said that a locked thread could be restarted again? Which sounds unproductive without knowing why it was locked in the first place?

So many questions..........so little time. But boilerplate has its purpose.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:34 am

If I seem to avoid bureaucracy it is because I do not like bureaucracy. However I will try to post my reasons for administrative actions. Usually I do. The two topics I locked last night may be split this morning anyway so I didn't see any point in pontificating about my actions.

Upon reading the Private Topics topic OP that was linked above, I see that I failed to discuss the move with the participants, so my action was premature. The intent of the Private Topics subforum is not as a dumping ground for topics that I don't like, so I will have to consider a different approach, which may include temporary suspensions for people who can't stop pissing on each other. Or I just split off the crap and lock that portion, which is probably the best approach.

I could, I suppose, open a "Fight Club" subforum and move all such crap there, but that would be a problem for two reasons: one, it becomes too easy to move things because I don't like them and two, it does nothing to discourage the repeated insults.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I could, I suppose, open a "Fight Club" subforum

Make it Pay Per View!

And I get 10%.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:37 pm

OK, I just gave you 10%....

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:43 pm

I would call it "Bogus or Brilliant: You Decide," but that's been done. Some of you may know it today as the Abandon All Hope subforum. I do not want to indulge in arbitrary actions any more than I do already.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:20 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I would call it "Bogus or Brilliant: You Decide," but that's been done. Some of you may know it today as the Abandon All Hope subforum. I do not want to indulge in arbitrary actions any more than I do already.

Every action you take will be seen as arbitrary or wrong or over controlling or.......whatever.... by those who wish to be the same, but without the power.

I think you are on the right track...do what YOU want to do...explain it so that others can perceive your rule in action...listen to the feed back.....move on. I don't have to agree with you, but I do "want" to know what you are doing so I can comply....or not. FREEEEEEEDOM going on all over the place.

As to name calling, there are at least two different kinds? Pure farmyard vulgarity showing lack of imagination, and Imaginative Descriptive vulgarity showing the value of the poster? You can tell the difference: the first is always dismissed as a waste of time, the second brings a nod of agreement or disagreement and sometimes a smile.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:35 pm

This is the namecalling rule from the early days before I simplified the language. I got rid of the word "bickering" when the JREF forum admins and mods started using it.

Basically, isolated namecalling or whatever mild abuse that occurs in a thread here and there is not that big a deal. When it goes on for post after post and the discussion is primarily off topic in that regard then I'll take action, usually if or when someone reports the situation to me or if I read it myself and decide to push a couple of buttons and make an official statement.

-----------

Forum Disruption and Abuse

It is valuable for the forum to have active posters with a broad range of opinions and that forum members be able to express themselves in any manner that they choose within the parameters of other forum rules and limitations. We recognize that debate often leads to spirited discussion. While it is not our intent to govern minor squabbles, serious verbal abuse may occur, harming substantive discussion. Examples of abusive, disruptive behavior are:

Bickering: When one or more posters in a thread stop responding substantively, and instead primarily make abusive comments. This often takes the form of an escalating, two-sided use of accusations, insults, derision, namecalling, sarcasm, mockery, and other forms of abusive language.

Spill-over: When a poster starts threads or interrupts other threads in order to further the bickering or abuse started elsewhere. This is an abuse of the forum when it creates sufficient "noise" to defeat bystanders' reasonable attempts to ignore the disruptive posters involved.

Harrassment: When bickering or abuse is continued elsewhere in the Forum or in Private Messages. Harassment will be considered a particularly harmful attempt to reduce participation on the forum.

These are illustrations, and are not intended as a complete list of behaviors that may be considered abusive or disruptive. At minimum, by "abusive", we mean the gratuitous use of insult, sarcasm, or cruelty, and not the use of irony to make a point.

Abusive, disruptive behavior such as the above examples may lead to warnings, the splitting of threads, the temporary suspension of posting privileges, or permanent banning, at the discretion of the Administrators, depending upon the severity of the disruption.

A certain level of give-and-take is to be expected in discussions of controversial issues. There will be people whose opinions may offend you. We do not guarantee that you will not be offended. Do not ask the administrators to take action against people whose opinions offend you.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Those words and guidelines mean: NOTHING, except as to how YOU enforce them. You can try to educate and coax taking more time, or you can be arbitrary and give life long bans and save a lot of time. I've not been to a blog where Moderators took much time at all.

One approach would be to edit the offensive language/name calling with hash marks and calling that strike one. 1-2-3 strikes in a week or month could bring a 1-2-3-4 week ban from posting. This way, your "standards" are made clear to all who participate. It might take some more time right at the start....but smooth out to less work over time and actually create a better forum experience for all?

When you get criticized for being arbitrary: just agree with "Meet the Boss", and keep going: it is "your" forum.

When you get criticized for being unfair: just agree with "Life Isn't Fair", and keep going: it is "your" forum.

Pros and cons to all we do.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:25 pm

TJrandom wrote:OK, I just gave you 10%....

I'll repay you.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:33 pm

Can we have a forum called "Not This Crap Again!"?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:29 am

People worry too much.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:36 am

You seem to think Pyrrho needz sum advise on moderating, bobbo.

Az sumwun who haz been in quite a few forumz and evicted from several, I can assure you he iz the best.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:49 am

JO--I don't think Pyrrho "needs" any advice at all. We can all have our ideas about how a forum can be better and worse run but that runs into the interest and time restraints of what is usually volunteer labor?

Can't have better or worse suggestions until you learn what the goal and resources are.

Its a universal rule that if you want someone to learn something, you have to tell them quite specifically and repetitively what that something is. Punishment alone is nothing but a puzzlement. There is some reason to think that Pyrrho does indeed want contributors to learn something from this forum.

ymmv.

.................As the great philosopher E. Alfred Newman said: "What..........me worry?"

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:08 am

Floon bug.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:19 am

Pyrrho wrote:People worry too much.

That's the subforum I want to post in! Where do I find it?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:21 am

hang on, what does this button do

Oh. It removes all BBCode tags from the selected text.

This post is now superfluous, which means it is like fluous if fluous came from Krypton.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:13 pm

Gord wrote:hang on, what does this button do

Oh. It removes all BBCode tags from the selected text.

This post is now superfluous, which means it is like fluous if fluous came from Krypton.

Pyrrho controls all the gold kryptonite. :cry:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:08 am

Hi Pyrrho, For four or so hours, on 2NOV2015, I received an error message, when loading up the forum address.

"505 Error Sorry Remain Skeptical"

I sent a email to the Skeptic Society's general contact email address and stated this and asked them to inform you as moderator. The forum returned to working order three hours later. I don't know if you are aware of any of this, so I am simply making a note. All is working fine again.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:44 am

There was a bug in the electrical system.

Seriously, we're not sure what caused the outage. It affected other sites on the same server so it was not restricted to this site. The only thing of note that I see in the logs is an unusually large number of visits from a bot named "LinkFeatureBot" and I have blocked that just on general principles. I doubt that would have caused the memory allocation failures but bad bots get kicked to the curb.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:19 am

I've backed up the database just in case. Fun times on a Monday night.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:41 am

what is the point of the thanks list? does the winner get a prize or become the Skeptic King for a year or something?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:40 am

gorgeous wrote:what is the point of the thanks list? does the winner get a prize or become the Skeptic King for a year or something?
It is for when a forum member makes a good point and other members appreciate their effort.

That's why you never get "thanks", as you make no effort and spam your personal religious crap, here, all day.
:D

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:41 am

It's a way for people to appreciate a post without having to post in response, thereby saving carbon credits and helping to prevent global warming.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:49 am

I sometimes thank random people, so gorgeous might have received thanks from me once or twice. I call it "spastic freedom".
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:46 pm

I don't believe you've ever thanked gorgeous. EVERYONE would have spotted it and it would now be a forum legend.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:35 pm

We could all conspire to thank gorgeous - just once. olulu ulululu ulululululu... a CT in the making. Sorta like a science experiment - say, to test that percentage calculation to see if it goes over 100%. But of course, the downside might be if only one thanked, and no one else followed thru... yikes!

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:42 pm

TJrandom wrote:We could all conspire to thank gorgeous - just once. olulu ulululu ulululululu... a CT in the making. Sorta like a science experiment - say, to test that percentage calculation to see if it goes over 100%. But of course, the downside might be if only one thanked, and no one else followed thru... yikes!

How about this one?
viewtopic.php?p=489181#p489181

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:01 pm

Not dated. It's a fix!!

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:16 pm

xouper wrote:
TJrandom wrote:We could all conspire to thank gorgeous - just once. olulu ulululu ulululululu... a CT in the making. Sorta like a science experiment - say, to test that percentage calculation to see if it goes over 100%. But of course, the downside might be if only one thanked, and no one else followed thru... yikes!

How about this one?

Ah, but we know that you have a history of being disingenuous… so that one can`t count. :roll:

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:35 pm

it counts, ty xouper
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:35 pm

xouper wrote:

How about this one?

Never!
#ANDAMOVIE

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:37 pm

Oh come on - now someone's forged my thanks to gorgeous.

'Fess up - who done that?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:41 pm

:lol:

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Postby Scott Mayers » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:18 am

I hadn't noticed the "thanks" list either until now. I was wondering how or why others wouldn't 'thank' me even when apparently a 'thankful' person to others normally AND when they also appear to be thankful in context. I only use it in context to a specific post and now that I'm aware of this I will completely boycott using it and only 'thank' within a post using words. I was one to actually use it in sincerity to ones' specific content regardless of whether a person is a nice person or not towards me in general.

But I'm guessing that at least it might be able to be an interesting means to determine somethings else!!
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Return to “Help Desk”