Subforum Summary

Post your questions and suggestions here.
mr wolf

Subforum Summary

Postby mr wolf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi, is it possible to have on the bottom of the subforum index page the last say 10 threads, ordered by last post date, from all over the website? That way we could see what is going on without having to go to each forum individually.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Re: Subforum Summary

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:01 pm

Try the View Active Topics link.

search.php?search_id=active_topics
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

mr wolf

Postby mr wolf » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:35 pm

Splendid.
Thank you.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:46 pm

mr wolf wrote:Splendid.
Thank you.

hi , welcome
what is your opinion of the mental health business / psychiatry ? :burn:
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Throw something and run.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:01 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Throw something and run.

A suitable missile
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:13 am

Welcome to the lunatic theory exchange, mr wolf. :wave:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:26 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Throw something and run.

A suitable missile

Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

mr wolf

Postby mr wolf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Thank you Mr Gord, I feel most welcomed.

About the question, instead of describing castles in the air, I will share my latest experience with psychiatric treatment. Maybe you can also share yours and enrich our conclusions?

This girl, who I'll call Girl, was sent by the police to a hospital where she was detained and medicated for her condition. I was fortunate to have a conversation with Girl before and after its effects. She had practically no friends and was destitute and in an alien country to her own. While it was possible to sustain a perfectly civilized dialogue with her, some things she said were eccentric and some others fatally pessimistic. Her ways were also unusual in a warmer and friendlier manner than conventional.
A few days later, Girl had already been regularly medicated with anti-psychotics. She was calmer, her expressed ideas were more mainstream and her behaviour would pass as normal in everyday situations. When pressed and in confidence she would share with me some of her eccentric thoughts and ideas. She would not do so in front of the doctor any longer. Her outlook for the future was much more optimistic, inspired even, despite of her dreadful last years. Her most pressing priorities were to get out of there and go back to her country and family.
The last I heard from Girl she was in talks with her family to accompany her on the plain back home. The doctor would not release her unless a family member was willing to do so. It was found that she had been given anti-psychotics regularly by her home hospital and her family was aware of her condition and said she was 'a nice girl' provided she took the medicines.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:10 pm

mr wolf wrote:Thank you Mr Gord, I feel most welcomed.

About the question, instead of describing castles in the air, I will share my latest experience with psychiatric treatment. Maybe you can also share yours and enrich our conclusions?

This girl, who I'll call Girl, was sent by the police to a hospital where she was detained and medicated for her condition. I was fortunate to have a conversation with Girl before and after its effects. She had practically no friends and was destitute and in an alien country to her own. While it was possible to sustain a perfectly civilized dialogue with her, some things she said were eccentric and some others fatally pessimistic. Her ways were also unusual in a warmer and friendlier manner than conventional.
A few days later, Girl had already been regularly medicated with anti-psychotics. She was calmer, her expressed ideas were more mainstream and her behaviour would pass as normal in everyday situations. When pressed and in confidence she would share with me some of her eccentric thoughts and ideas. She would not do so in front of the doctor any longer. Her outlook for the future was much more optimistic, inspired even, despite of her dreadful last years. Her most pressing priorities were to get out of there and go back to her country and family.
The last I heard from Girl she was in talks with her family to accompany her on the plain back home. The doctor would not release her unless a family member was willing to do so. It was found that she had been given anti-psychotics regularly by her home hospital and her family was aware of her condition and said she was 'a nice girl' provided she took the medicines.

A bit garbled, but upon reflection I gather that the above is a vote in FAVOR of psychotropic drugs……
Although on the other hand Mr Wolf (to whom I will refer as Mr. Wolf) has put more than a bit of emphasis on the point that while positive psychotropics do provide some relief from the trauma of schizophrenic images and patient paranoia, and faltering abilities to make coherent human connection, the creation of a docile, amenable human being, above obedient to authority, might not be in the patient's ultimate best interest.
Such a palliative (the drugs have NEVER been offered as a cure, but only as a relief from symptoms) while temporarily desirable, does, nonetheless raise serious personal and societal questions.
Do we want drugged, often somnolent citizens who are easily dominated by authority?
And whose human creativity might - and often is - curtailed, sometimes disappears entirely, under the label of "normalcy."
Is docility at the cost of creativity a worthy goal for the mentally ill?
For instance, if Mr Wolf himself were to be treated with a regimen off such drugs, were able to calm down, to be freed from the delusions that might be at the heart of his present lively interactions with other, would he retain the energy and the imagination to write so many stories?
And his unfailing good humor?
Or would he because of the languor brought on the effective dosages, lose the élan and the desire to communicate his fictions, his inventions, that makes his participation here such a pleasure?

And of course, it is my sincere wish that Mr. Wolf view my own response here as ONLY inquiry.
And in no way to challenge the veracity OR the validity of his valuable portrait in prose.

Norma Manna Blum

mr wolf

Postby mr wolf » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Ms. Blum,

Your post was most complimentary. A blush was almost springing but then it must have realized it would be pointless and went away.

My lack of judgments was purposeful precisely because Girl's plight reflects a dilemma, one side of which you so truly prosaically have described.

Although I also find it more consuming to make individual pronouncements on these issues, I strive to avoid making blanket judgments which half of the time turn out to be unfair.

On this particular case, your thoughts were my feelings. And if I were to be absolutely egotistical I probably would have not medicated her at all. Our first encounter at the hospital was the most interesting. It was almost pleasant were it not for the train wreck Girl's life had become. In an ever greying world, she was most colourful, she was full of spirit and she sought out for human touch the minute she felt I was trustworthy.

But I had an income and a house to go back to. She had none of these. If she had not been medicated I fear she would by now be no more. And that is at best. Temperatures are rough during night-time, begging is illegal, etc.

Alas, with power comes responsibility. If you were her doctor, would you risk her life and the life of others? Remember she had to board a plane full of people in order to go back home. If something were to happen it would also be the doctor's job&career&family on the line. What would you have done?

Unfortunately eccentricity of Girl's kind is increasingly rare, and therefore even more eccentric. You and I may not have to take anti-psychotics to replace whatever chemical our black box uses to over exercise the superego, but either you are relatively wealthy of capital or friends, or you too repress your 'human' creativity your humour your energy and imagination, if it is displeasing to whomever you depend on.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:59 pm

mr wolf wrote:Ms. Blum,

Your post was most complimentary. A blush was almost springing but then it must have realized it would be pointless and went away.

My lack of judgments was purposeful precisely because Girl's plight reflects a dilemma, one side of which you so truly prosaically have described.

Although I also find it more consuming to make individual pronouncements on these issues, I strive to avoid making blanket judgments which half of the time turn out to be unfair.

On this particular case, your thoughts were my feelings. And if I were to be absolutely egotistical I probably would have not medicated her at all. Our first encounter at the hospital was the most interesting. It was almost pleasant were it not for the train wreck Girl's life had become. In an ever greying world, she was most colourful, she was full of spirit and she sought out for human touch the minute she felt I was trustworthy.

But I had an income and a house to go back to. She had none of these. If she had not been medicated I fear she would by now be no more. And that is at best. Temperatures are rough during night-time, begging is illegal, etc.

Alas, with power comes responsibility. If you were her doctor, would you risk her life and the life of others? Remember she had to board a plane full of people in order to go back home. If something were to happen it would also be the doctor's job&career&family on the line. What would you have done?

Unfortunately eccentricity of Girl's kind is increasingly rare, and therefore even more eccentric. You and I may not have to take anti-psychotics to replace whatever chemical our black box uses to over exercise the superego, but either you are relatively wealthy of capital or friends, or you too repress your 'human' creativity your humor your energy and imagination, if it is displeasing to whomever you depend on.

YOU would not have medicated her at all?
YOU?

LOL… it never occurred to me, blind or perhaps, unsophisticated as I am, that you were speaking as her doctor, or to put it another way as the Sigmund to her Dora…

But now that you have made that clear, I will say…. well, WHAT can I say?
Except that truth (to the extent that it exists at all) is stranger than fiction.
But fiction is certainly strange enough.
(As in "yesterday I couldn't spell "medicine" and today I are one.")
NMB.

mr wolf

Postby mr wolf » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Well Ida, it will still take a bit longer until I start speaking for my citizenry.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:25 pm

mr wolf wrote:Well Ida, it will still take a bit longer until I start speaking for my citizenry.

Why, Herr Doktor!! You remember!!
A bit confused … but still…..

But I am not Ida.
I'm Sarah Bernhardt.
That is when I'm not Eleanora Duse,
Or Isadora Duncan.
Or .. or…. or… or… sometimes, when the REALLY creative impulse grabs me….Anatole of Paris:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VXsAXFFQk4

NMB

mr wolf

Postby mr wolf » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 pm

Interesting, interesting...
You possess a profoundly sensitive personality.

And, pray tell, who are you today?

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:17 pm

mr wolf wrote:Interesting, interesting...
You possess a profoundly sensitive personality.

And, pray tell, who are you today?

::lol:: still betting that flattery will get you everywhere with me?

Actually, I am extremely shallow….
Thus, while it's still too early in the day, but fantasy is the name of the game, and nothing remotely resembling verisimilitude is required, I MIGHT (real life be damned!!) go for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZn86sSWtEQ

With you playing doctor as inspiration, anything is possible.
So why not?

NMB…

mr wolf

Postby mr wolf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:37 pm

33.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Help Desk”