Pyrrho...time zone flipping on this site...?

Post your questions and suggestions here.
Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Pyrrho...time zone flipping on this site...?

Postby Scott Mayers » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:57 am

Okay, I just posted that our the time indicated zone 0 (6 hours from here from England down to Nigeria. Yet it didn't post here. Now it is indicating zone 7 from Alberta to Mexico, as a different server. What's going on?
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Re: Pyrrho...time zone flipping on this site...?

Postby Pyrrho » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:42 am

The time mark of any given user's post is determined by the time zone that user has selected as a default in their user control panel.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Postby Scott Mayers » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:19 am

Pyrrho wrote:The time mark of any given user's post is determined by the time zone that user has selected as a default in their user control panel.

It had two windows open and on the "board index" page it indicated 6hrs early from mine (Saskatchewan Zone) Then I refreshed the other and it indicated an hour later. I posted the other one you replied to (ha ha..Principality of Sealand! :lol: ) and now then this one but the recent postings indicated that I didn't post and then both? but one before one thread and one after even though I posted them one after the other.

[I had to look up that "Principality of Sealand" thing. You weren't being serious were you?]
http://www.sealandgov.org/
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:00 am

Nope. I think the server is in Texas, which keeps its own time, Texas style.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:18 am

Post #3 Unread postby Scott Mayers » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:19 am

Well there's yer problem. You're posting in the middle of the night!

Hang on. My posts appear to be happening an hour ago. Didn't daylight savings happen yet?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Postby Scott Mayers » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:29 am

Gord wrote:

Post #3 Unread postby Scott Mayers » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:19 am

Well there's yer problem. You're posting in the middle of the night!

Hang on. My posts appear to be happening an hour ago. Didn't daylight savings happen yet?

Actually, I had two windows open to which one stated it was 6hrs earlier while the other was 1hr ahead. Only the second posted originally (by refresh; the first I posted only appeared later on both; and each were posted around another that I had posted before the two. But with two different pages open on the "board Index" I had two distinctly different times. Even the time on one was posted to the left side while the other was on the right side.

I don't care at this moment and I can't raise it with others without them thinking I'm losing my mind or lying.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:40 am

You read the time of your last visit on one of the open pages. :mrgreen:

(Besides your mobile browser traveling different thru time zones. Or thru different time zones.)

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:08 am

Scott Mayers wrote:...I'm losing my mind or lying.

Well, that's true. :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Postby Austin Harper » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:49 pm

I'm having a problem where other members are posting witty replies before I can think of anything to say. Is that related to this same time zone issue?
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:52 pm

Austin Harper wrote:I'm having a problem where other members are posting witty replies before I can think of anything to say. Is that related to this same time zone issue?

Yes. If you learn how to get an hour ahead of yourself, you can read your witty posts then go back and post them. Saves a lot of thinking.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:09 pm

Hang on, I'll be back in an hour when it's finally now.
#ANDAMOVIE

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Postby Scott Mayers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:44 am

I'm noticing too that on the main page, "Board Index", that it asserts that my last visit was Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:28 am. Why is this stating this?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:27 pm

Great. Pyrrho's invented time travel and you guys are bitching about being on the first trip. Sheesh.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:51 pm

Scott Mayers wrote:I'm noticing too that on the main page, "Board Index", that it asserts that my last visit was Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:28 am. Why is this stating this?

Time travel to the past.

Isn't that when you clocked out last?

Lard, save me from your followers.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Postby Scott Mayers » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:43 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:I'm noticing too that on the main page, "Board Index", that it asserts that my last visit was Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:28 am. Why is this stating this?

Time travel to the past.

Isn't that when you clocked out last?

No. I think my eyes are playing tricks on me I copied the above and pasted it but I 'read' 2013 before (?) I think it could be my eyes since I've developed a far-sightedness in the last while or astigmatism. Still the times are shifting and I was concerned why this might be happening. [I'm paranoid of our ISPs here in Canada and the recent laws that allow our spy agencies MORE access in direct opposition to the American's. ]

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Scott Mayers wrote:I'm paranoid of our ISPs here in Canada and the recent laws that allow our spy agencies MORE access in direct opposition to the American's.

Canada, the USA, The UK, Australia and New Zealand have a treaty (The Five Eyes) concerning sharing signals intelligence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

In reality, the information exchange is a bit haphazard and members have not been forthcoming with "tips" or individuals have been too over-enthusiastic offering "tips" to other members.

http://nautilus.org/publications/books/ ... n-jenkins/

Very odd coincidence
On the wikipeadia page for the five eyes, It states at the top
"FVEY" redirects here. For the album by Shihad, see FVEY (album).. I was the accountant for Shihad, a very excellent band from New Zealand.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Postby Scott Mayers » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:16 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:I'm paranoid of our ISPs here in Canada and the recent laws that allow our spy agencies MORE access in direct opposition to the American's.

Canada, the USA, The UK, Australia and New Zealand have a treaty (The Five Eyes) concerning sharing signals intelligence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Eyes

In reality, the information exchange is a bit haphazard and members have not been forthcoming with "tips" or individuals have been too over-enthusiastic offering "tips" to other members.

http://nautilus.org/publications/books/ ... n-jenkins/

Very odd coincidence
On the wikipeadia page for the five eyes, It states at the top
"FVEY" redirects here. For the album by Shihad, see FVEY (album).. I was the accountant for Shihad, a very excellent band from New Zealand.

This is why I think that any domestic laws regarding the Internet won't mean anything. Snowden scared Americans into redressing laws to give confidence to Americans but this still cannot assure they are any safer since our countries can opt to use other countries use (and difference) of non-domestic rights to spy regardless. As such, any domestic restrictions will only encourage our spy agencies to redirect sites through our ISPs to a foreign site by proxy to access what they need to know regardless. This is why I was concerned with the apparent time shifting I see here. I might be getting a different time because I've been redirected to a proxy that gives the time of this site based on the proxied computer.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Postby Scott Mayers » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:33 am

Note also that this is another reason why I am concerned about the options in our User Control Panel here to "block" particular posters. With this option available, a domestic action a country can easily do is to adjust the setting there in a less obvious way to all outgoing Internet signals to "block" us externally from seeing content from those sources and visa versa. As such, what 'we' see on this site might differ from what others see depending on origin. And while this might be only possibly be done for a whole country now, technically, this can also be narrowed down to one's particular computer based on their IP address.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:49 am

Wasn't this how World War One started?

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Postby Scott Mayers » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:53 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Wasn't this how World War One started?

How do you mean? Propaganda and misinformation?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:54 am

Scott Mayers wrote:

No, blocking sites on the Internet.

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster

Postby Scott Mayers » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:02 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Scott Mayers wrote:

No, blocking sites on the Internet.

I wasn't aware that the Internet existed in WWI. But yeah, I'm concerned and hope that others recognize that our days of Internet freedom is lost and becoming untrustworthy. It seems that ONLY when any technology is new for some period does it have any value. Whether this involves government or private industry, we seem to be doomed to lose faith in any communication medium after a period of settlement with it.

Return to “Help Desk”