Photo got swapped/ Not a problem / Just a note

Post your questions and suggestions here.
Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Photo got swapped/ Not a problem / Just a note

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:21 am

Howdy Pyrrho

I made a post and loaded up a photo of children at Auschwitz. Somehow this photo has been replaced with a lovely point of view photo of a car engine.

viewtopic.php?p=425747#p425747

It doesn't bother me at all and I'm not asking for it to be fixed. I'm simply making a note as this may be related to some other technical issue I don't know about.

(I checked and I didn't have a photo of a car engine to load up. It wasn't "human error" at this end. However, that doesn't break the rule, "you can never trust humans")

Pyrrho
Administrator

Re: Photo got swapped/ Not a problem / Just a note

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:26 am

I still see a photo of children at Auschwitz.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:26 am

Just got another "swapped photo"

My original photo was of Rose Tattoo, the hard rock band. It is now a photo of "igloos".

I'm looking forward to all my old posts taking a new "surreal twist"......

:D

viewtopic.php?p=425728#p425728

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:28 am

These are attachments which got separated from the posts to which they used to be attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:30 am

I also see the original photos and nothing swapped.
Lard, save me from your followers.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:32 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Just got another "swapped photo"

My original photo was of Rose Tattoo, the hard rock band. It is now a photo of "igloos".

I'm looking forward to all my old posts taking a new "surreal twist"......

Still seeing a photo of Rose Tattoo.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:33 am

scrmbldggs wrote:I also see the original photos and nothing swapped.

Thank you Pyrrho and Scrambled Eggs. I will immediately close down, reboot and then run Nortons. I may be the culprit.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:34 am

Meanwhile I'm checking the server and optimizing database tables.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:36 am

That's my dog, right after she got kicked by a horse.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:38 am

I can delete it if you want.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:47 am

Sure,thanks.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:48 am

Dog's not running loose. She's still in her post: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12865&p=408330#p408330 :-D

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:54 am

Any luck with your scan, Matthew?

A web search turns up this reference to malware that replaces images in web pages.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ ... web-pages/

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:55 am

I am not seeing any malware injections in the forum files and a site scan turns up nothing but I'm still checking.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:55 am

Pyrrho wrote:I can delete it if you want.
No thank you. I will edit my own posts as I see problems to save your time.

I looked at my Window 8 picture files and confirmed that the file names match the photos I first loaded up.

"House of pain Tattoo Parlour.jpg" is still the tattoo parlour in my computer's picture folder. The same file name appears on the post to which I loaded up this photo. You see this photo of a tattoo parlour, yet I see "igloos" (as it appears below)

House of pain Tattoo Parlour now a photo of igloos.jpg

I don't have a photo of igloos in my picture folders.

It's a bit strange, but let's see if it continues and then together make a decision about if I need to do something else. Any suggestions would be welcome. I am not a "tech person" and struggled converting to Windows 8. I do go to weird sites that may have weird viruses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:01 am

You could try downloading and running the free version of Malwarebytes Antimalware:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

They also have a removal tool which is kind of a last resort.

Sophos also has a removal tool for Windows:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/fr ... -tool.aspx

I'd start with Malwarebytes and go from there. Should work okay with your Norton.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:05 am

Also, if you can, in the posts where you see incorrect images, right-click on the image, select "view image" in your browser pop-up menu which should appear, and post the link that results in the browser address bar, in this thread. I need to see if it's pulling the same photo id number that is connected to the file attachment.

Meanwhile I will look at the uploads to see if there are any igloo photos like that.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 am

Well, hmm. I did find a php file in the attachment uploads folder which was very likely a remnant of the May 2013 hacking incident. I've deleted that file. I won't post the payload publicly but if anyone is interested in that, send me a pm.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:24 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Dog's not running loose. She's still in her post: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12865&p=408330#p408330 :-D

Good, at least I was the one that posted it. Can never tell with these hackers stealing celebrity, naked pictures.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by fromthehills » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:28 am

Pyrrho wrote:Well, hmm. I did find a php file in the attachment uploads folder which was very likely a remnant of the May 2013 hacking incident. I've deleted that file. I won't post the payload publicly but if anyone is interested in that, send me a pm.

I wasn't interested, until you asked if anyone was interested.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:32 am

Pyrrho wrote:Also, if you can, in the posts where you see incorrect images, right-click on the image, select "view image" in your browser pop-up menu which should appear, and post the link that results in the browser address bar, in this thread. I need to see if it's pulling the same photo id number that is connected to the file attachment.

Meanwhile I will look at the uploads to see if there are any igloo photos like that.

I understand and will do that.

I have gone into this post with a "swapped photo"

I right clicked on the photo and then right clicked on "Inspect elements" as "view image" was not an option on Window 8. Two windows opened. The top window has the following drop down menus
"Element" "Sources" "Timeline" "Profiles" "Resources" "Audits" "Console".

A large amount of text appears in the "Elements" page. I do not think I can see "a link that results in the browser address bar" as I am unsure what I am looking for. Is this it?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/tattoo-parlou ... z3Efc4sswK

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:35 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:Also, if you can, in the posts where you see incorrect images, right-click on the image, select "view image" in your browser pop-up menu which should appear, and post the link that results in the browser address bar, in this thread. I need to see if it's pulling the same photo id number that is connected to the file attachment.

I understand and will do that.

I have gone into this post with a "swapped photo"

I right clicked on the photo and then right clicked on "Inspect elements" as "view image" was not an option on Window 8. Two windows opened. The top window has the following drop down menus
"Element" "Sources" "Timeline" "Profiles" "Resources" "Audits" "Console".

A large amount of text appears in the "Elements" page. I do not think I can see "a link that results in the browser address bar" as I am unsure what I am looking for. Is this it?

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/tattoo-parlou ... z3Efc4sswK

No...in my FireFox browser this line appears like this:

screen.JPG

My main concern at the moment is that hacker file that I hope was one I overlooked back in May 2013. I'll be monitoring for any suspicious activity a bit more than I usually do.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:38 am

Pyrrho wrote:Well, hmm. I did find a php file in the attachment uploads folder which was very likely a remnant of the May 2013 hacking incident. I've deleted that file. I won't post the payload publicly but if anyone is interested in that, send me a pm.

OK.

I believe you are saying the "new photo" of igloos, is a "lost" file on the forum's computer and my problem may be related to an earlier hacking incident. I believe you are saying that the problem may have been fixed by deleting the picture. I still see the "igloo" and one car engine, but that's it. I will only PM you if I see this happen again.

Thanks mate. I appreciate your time spent on this matter.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 am

Oh, my just an excitable boy....

Images all look fine to me here .... using Chrome.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:49 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:

OK.

I believe you are saying the "new photo" of igloos, is a "lost" file on the forum's computer and my problem may be related to an earlier hacking incident. I believe you are saying that the problem may have been fixed by deleting the picture. I still see the "igloo" and one car engine, but that's it. I will only PM you if I see this happen again.

Thanks mate. I appreciate your time spent on this matter.

Igloos might be a random uploaded attachment here but I have yet to determine that. The php file is definitely a base64 malware injection commonly used to attack WordPress sites. I don't know what it does but usually such files are used to inject malware into other php files. In May 2013 they were being uploaded to various directories--when such files get processed they inject malware, and eventually attack browsers and ruin everyone's day.

I deleted this base64 eval hacking script php file, not the igloo photo which I still don't know if it's on this server. There's no convenient way for me to view the attachment files because they are stored such that a database key is required to view the file as an image.

I've looked at the forum php files and they all appear to be clean. I believe this php file is one that I missed when we restored the server back in May 2013, but I'll be monitoring to make sure.

I advise scanning for malware on your system as a precaution.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:09 am

Checking the database...here's the record for the children at Auschwitz attachment:

Code: Select all

(`attach_id`, `post_msg_id`, `topic_id`, `in_message`, `poster_id`, `is_orphan`, `physical_filename`, `real_filename`, `download_count`, `attach_comment`, `extension`, `mimetype`, `filesize`, `filetime`, `thumbnail`)
(2234, 425747, 24463, 0, 4641, 0, '4641_057dee9a0d4bfbfbf8ada859ce782102', 'Child workers at Auschwitz.jpg', 79, '', 'jpg', 'image/jpeg', 13308, 1411966266, 0),

The system is pulling from that database record. The numerical string just before the original filename is the filename on the server--this is done to prevent people from scanning the folders for images. I downloaded all of the images and opening that one--4641_057dee9a0d4bfbfbf8ada859ce782102--in Gimp shows me the children in Auschwitz photo. I don't think the problem is on this server.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:17 am

kennyc wrote:Images all look fine to me here .... using Chrome.

Ditto here, using IE11.

(Omigod, I'm using Internet Explorer 11?!?! :shock: )
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:58 am

Dear Pyrrho

I downloaded your recommended Malware software. I allowed it to update and then did a scan. The software nominated 47 Items that it believed should be quarantined to which I said "Yes".

The "igloo" photo has now gone and has been replaced by a blank box.

I believe this may have solved my problem.

I just donated $100 to the Society as thanks.

Tell that Shermer fellow to get sticky paws off that money and hand it over for "staff treats" of coffee and cake.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:35 am

Gord wrote:
kennyc wrote:Images all look fine to me here .... using Chrome.

Ditto here, using IE11.

(Omigod, I'm using Internet Explorer 11?!?! :shock: )

It's okay, MicroSoft just announced Windows 10....that'll fix everything! ;)

(P.S. they are laughing already at future historians and techies that go looking for windows 9 :mrgreen: )
Kenny A. Chaffin

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:52 pm

Okay?
Problem solved?
Are you all ready to go back to the pictures of bodies and piles of ash upon which your fame and contributions to historicity depend?

The Holocaust as a boon to ghouls and geeks?

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Post by octopus1 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:30 pm

nmblum wrote:Okay?
Problem solved?
Are you all ready to go back to the pictures of bodies and piles of ash upon which your fame and contributions to historicity depend?

NMB

This is "tech-stuff" not "I'm better than you" stuff. Let 'em hammer it out and get whatever's broken, fixed, before you quote a book we've all read (but we haven't really, because you're "better" than everyone else...)
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Problem solved?

NMB

Are you ready to keep following me around the forum so you can add your running comments? Let's face it Norma, you can't stop thinking about me, you naughty old cougar.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:42 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Problem solved?

NMB

Are you ready to keep following me around the forum so you can add your running comments? Let's face it Norma, you can't stop thinking about me, you naughty old cougar.

You're just jealous cause I'm the one in her sig. :mrgreen:
Kenny A. Chaffin

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:23 am

Matthew, what did you do now?! :-P

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:36 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Matthew, what did you do now?! :-P

Nothing. I was going to attack when she called you "Sancho Panza" and totally ignored your research and contribution in the denier sub forum, however, Oleg was about to have "a go at me" and I claimed 'I only responded to her attacks on me"....so I have to stick to that position, as I respect Oleg.

She's simply baiting me to get attention. If she doesn't get attention she picks on Kenny and others. Somehow you got added to her black list because you are doing the research she knows she can't do.

Anyhow it's a storm in a teacup. My interest is with the "newbie" claims and not some bored old lady talking about poker games and her opinions on other member's posts. .

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:43 am

Thanks, Matthew. :-D

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:26 pm

kennyc wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Problem solved?

NMB

You're just jealous cause I'm the one in her sig. :mrgreen:

Of course I think of you Matthew.
And a lot.
How not?.
And why not?
How to avoid thinking of the only purported male I have ever come across who always behaves and sounds as if he has run out of tampons and finds himself far from a drugstore?
Unique?
I'll say!!
And I'm sure yo u agree that one would have to be a cool fish indeed to not find such a creature fascinating and worthy of attention.

And of course there is that certain poignancy- a bit of theater, really - in your tendency to hysteria, that has created considerable empathy on my part:
Because it could not have been easy - perhaps even provided the telling blow - for what is now a middle-aged bookkeeper to have watched a more talented sibling turn into a Rock star, while you were stuck behind that odious symbol of utter dullness and mediocrity: the adding machine.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:18 pm

Ya know, not only do I think Matthew is much more than a bookkeeper, I also consider those that are knowledgeable in tax laws and the like, and work hard on making sure our hard earned coin is dealt with fairly and sensibly, a much worthier contribution to society than our beloved rock stars. (Who also avail themselves of such services to keep their riches as much in their own hands as possible, after receiving them out of ours.)

As also all those masses of others, who provide any needed and valuable service to their fellow human beings. The basis of a well functioning society, the ones without which it all would come to a grinding standstill and would fall apart.

Not one rock star would be able to prevent such, or help in any substantial way should such a thing ever happen.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:01 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Ya know, not only do I think Matthew is much more than a bookkeeper, I also consider those that are knowledgeable in tax laws and the like, and work hard on making sure our hard earned coin is dealt with fairly and sensibly, a much worthier contribution to society than our beloved rock stars. (Who also avail themselves of such services to keep their riches as much in their own hands as possible, after receiving them out of ours.)

As also all those masses of others, who provide any needed and valuable service to their fellow human beings. The basis of a well functioning society, the ones without which it all would come to a grinding standstill and would fall apart.

Not one rock star would be able to prevent such, or help in any substantial way should such a thing ever happen.

LOL.. And you must be a lawyer.,
How lucky Matthew is to have such a loyal friend… and one with such a helpful profession… one with such a admirable reputation.

I wish that I had had such a hero (or heroine) when had come to my side when Matthew was engaged in labeling me.
Although I must say that to me HOUSEWIFE!! was hardly the insult that Matthew , in his somewhat high-strung state, intended….

What was YOUR mother, Eggs?
The woman who raised YOU to have such sterling qualities, they temperance, the faithfulness, the openness and trust in others, and of course the tolerance?
Where would YOU have been without that devoted to her house and hearth, HOUSEWIFE mother?,
And of course, COUGAR conjures up delights hardly to be compared with typing messages to a message board. I LOVE Cougar!!
What woman with an ounce of juice wouldn't enjoy thinking of herself as a prowling feline, given the usual alternatives available to the solitary and the housebound?

But enough about you…. I am sure you would rather have both of our time and attention devoted to Matthew.

Certainly Matthew is MORE than a bookkeeper.
Most humans being are more than what their occupations label them.
Even as you and *I*.

And what is wrong really with being a bookkeeper? Especially,as I'm sure is true of Matthew, he can lay claim to be being the best damn bookkeeper since Bob Cratchit?
And in such demand that he barely has time to contribute to his chosen Forum.
It's MAtthew who objects to being thought of as such and wishes to be known as something otherwise…
(And by the way that MIGHT be a cultural disconnect: the title Matthew prefers is "tax accountant." I, being an American where "tax accountants" are thought to be mostly in jail for fraud , specifically tried to avoid using the term.)

Just has there was once .. of course it was far from HERE.. in Nazareth…a carpenter.
Talented, charming, charismatic who dissatisfied with a life lacking in glamour, in fame, threw off his shoes, his shirt and his pants, put on sandals, wrapped himself in a sheet, and started to wander in an out of the towns of the Galilee talking to loaves and fishes.
Claiming to be the son of god and complaining to all and sundry about the beliefs and behaviors of others.

SOME people… they never know when they are well off.

NMB .
Skepticism:

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Post by octopus1 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:07 pm

nmblum wrote:I wish that I had had such a hero (or heroine) when had come to my side when Matthew was engaged in labeling me.

That's not how you spell what you're on.
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....