Welcome To The Skeptics Society Forum!

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Re: Welcome To The Skeptics Society Forum!

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Welcome ThePragmatic. :wave:
Hi, Io the lurker.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:17 pm

ThePragmatic wrote:Hey

I'm a sceptic, atheist, humanist, idiot (but aware of it), father of 2, husband, Swedish.

:wel:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:50 pm

I'm a sceptic, atheist, humanist, idiot (but aware of it), father of 2, husband, Swedish.

Hello. :wave:

(I thought we already had a Pragmatic? :befuddled: Will this confuse me? Oh no, not again!)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

ThePragmatic
Custom Title: Non-believer

Postby ThePragmatic » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:04 pm

Gord wrote:

(I thought we already had a Pragmatic? :befuddled: Will this confuse me? Oh no, not again!)

My apologies for any cerebral hemorrhaging... :D
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." - David Hume

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:07 pm

ThePragmatic wrote:
Gord wrote:

My apologies for any cerebral hemorrhaging... :D

Nope, I was wrong! Must've been thinking of another message board. Although there used to be a PragmaticallyWyrd posting here, but that was before my time, 11 years ago apparently: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=936
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:12 pm

What about Bob?
Hi, Io the lurker.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.... ThePragmatic

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:58 pm

ThePragmatic wrote:I'm a sceptic, atheist, humanist,...... Swedish.

TJrandom wrote:Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.... ThePragmatic

Now I'm really confused. Either those Swedish Vikings made it all the way to settle Japan, circa 800AD and no one noticed, or alternatively, Stockholm, is a lesser known Japanese colony settled at the time of establishment of the Chrysanthemum Throne of Nippon, around the same time. :befuddled:

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:11 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
ThePragmatic wrote:I'm a sceptic, atheist, humanist,...... Swedish.

Now I'm really confused. Either those Swedish Vikings made it all the way to settle Japan, circa 800AD and no one noticed, or alternatively, Stockholm, is a lesser known Japanese colony settled at the time of establishment of the Chrysanthemum Throne of Nippon, around the same time. :befuddled:

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu.... ThePragmatic-san

Does that help you? If using a name in a greeting, it would normally follow.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:59 pm

TJrandom wrote: Does that help you? If using a name in a greeting, it would normally follow.

Thank you. You see if Swedes and Japanese were the same people, then that would suggest there were Berserker Samurai. That would probably be a bad thing. :D

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:34 am

KonichiRAAAGH!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:08 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
TJrandom wrote: Does that help you? If using a name in a greeting, it would normally follow.

Thank you. You see if Swedes and Japanese were the same people, then that would suggest there were Berserker Samurai. That would probably be a bad thing. :D

I dunno... there is gonna be a Berserker in the White House come late January. We ought to be allowed a Berserker samurai or two, don`t ya think? :?

ThePragmatic

Postby ThePragmatic » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:59 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:What about Bob?

There seems to be a bobxxx_the_pragmatist...

Gesundheit! :D

Matthew Ellard wrote:You see if Swedes and Japanese were the same people, then that would suggest there were Berserker Samurai. That would probably be a bad thing. :D
[/quote]

An awesome idea. But sorry to disappoint.
There are however (apparently) Viking giants who traveled to Minnesota.
"Geologist Scott Wolter visits a Minnesota farmer who wants to investigate the possible existence of bones from a giant he unearthed in his yard. The bones raise the question of whether Vikings could have traveled all the way to America." - History Channel
Also, dowsing is the sure way of finding them... :roll:

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:23 pm

ThePragmatic wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:What about Bob?

There seems to be a bobxxx_the_pragmatist...

Gesundheit! :D

Matthew Ellard wrote:You see if Swedes and Japanese were the same people, then that would suggest there were Berserker Samurai. That would probably be a bad thing. :D

An awesome idea. But sorry to disappoint.
There are however (apparently) Viking giants who traveled to Minnesota.
"Geologist Scott Wolter visits a Minnesota farmer who wants to investigate the possible existence of bones from a giant he unearthed in his yard. The bones raise the question of whether Vikings could have traveled all the way to America." - History Channel
Also, dowsing is the sure way of finding them... :roll:

Can you think of a better way of finding the bones of giants?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:38 am

TJrandom wrote:We ought to be allowed a Berserker samurai or two, don`t ya think? :?
For odd reasons, Australia had a lot of Japanese TV shows broadcast here in the 60's. I grew up watching English dubbed versions of The Phantom Agents ( 忍者部隊月光 ) and The Samurai ( 隠密剣士). Even stranger, the motto, of the Phantom Agents was "A gun is a last resort" ....so I decided as a kid to never touch a gun and stayed that way.

In both these shows the heroes are stoic, contemplative and use deception to win the day.

Somehow if you changed the characters for Berserker Samurai, the shows just wouldn't be the same.
:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eVZHgBkMWI

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:44 am

ThePragmatic wrote:...There are however (apparently) Viking giants who traveled to Minnesota.
"Geologist Scott Wolter visits a Minnesota farmer who wants to investigate the possible existence of bones from a giant he unearthed in his yard. The bones raise the question of whether Vikings could have traveled all the way to America." - History Channel....

Aw maaaaan, it's an episode of America Unearthed, isn't it. :nea: (Your link redirects me to a Canadian site that doesn't show the same thing -- I had to google the quote to find out what it was from.)

I found America Unearthed to be an enormous waste of time. Basically, they manage to stretch out five minutes of a boring story where "I went looking but didn't find anything, so I'm only 50% convinced it could still be true" into a full hour of "and then I walked around a bit and talked some more and then I walked around a bit and talked some more and then I walked around a bit and talked some more...but hey, let's just recap all that while I show you the same footage of a backhoe that I've already shown you three times in this episode...oh and by the way, I went looking but didn't find anything, so I'm only 50% convinced it could still be true".
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Gord wrote:
ThePragmatic wrote:...There are however (apparently) Viking giants who traveled to Minnesota.
"Geologist Scott Wolter visits a Minnesota farmer who wants to investigate the possible existence of bones from a giant he unearthed in his yard. The bones raise the question of whether Vikings could have traveled all the way to America." - History Channel....

Aw maaaaan, it's an episode of America Unearthed, isn't it. :nea: (Your link redirects me to a Canadian site that doesn't show the same thing -- I had to google the quote to find out what it was from.)

I found America Unearthed to be an enormous waste of time. Basically, they manage to stretch out five minutes of a boring story where "I went looking but didn't find anything, so I'm only 50% convinced it could still be true" into a full hour of "and then I walked around a bit and talked some more and then I walked around a bit and talked some more and then I walked around a bit and talked some more...but hey, let's just recap all that while I show you the same footage of a backhoe that I've already shown you three times in this episode...oh and by the way, I went looking but didn't find anything, so I'm only 50% convinced it could still be true".

AW JEEEEEZ, GORD!

You shoulda put a spoiler alert around that post! Now the suspense is gone.

ThePragmatic

Postby ThePragmatic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:28 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:Can you think of a better way of finding the bones of giants?

Well, uhm... we could use a pendulum? Tarot cards? A Third Eye Chakra Stone crystal? Ask a random dog? Flip a coin? But in all fairness, as a sceptic I would need to perform some tests to know which methods are better before I give you a an answer.

ThePragmatic

Postby ThePragmatic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:30 pm

Gord wrote:
ThePragmatic wrote:Your link redirects me to a Canadian site that doesn't show the same thing -- I had to google the quote to find out what it was from

Oh, I didn't even think aboot that kind of redirects. Good thing you found it then... :)

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:02 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Gord wrote:

AW JEEEEEZ, GORD!

You shoulda put a spoiler alert around that post! Now the suspense is gone.

Then I saved you an hour of your life. Suspense in that show is a waste of time.

You're welcome.

Please send cookies as a sign of gratitude.
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:52 pm

Gord wrote:Please send cookies as a sign of gratitude.

Last time I did that, the polar bears got 'em.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:23 am

...and then they de...leted them! :this:
Hi, Io the lurker.

ShillForScience
Custom Title: ShillForScience

Postby ShillForScience » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Hello!

Well... i finally made an account here...

I am a Shill For Science, as the name suggests. I am starting up a podcast, and when i get some content up, i will share with you all.

Currently, i maintain a twitter (@ShillForScience), and i have a "teh YouTubez" and a FB made for this endeavor, but these are both problematic, as i am a video editor and adjunct university prof by day, and the last thing i want to do on my off time is make a f*cking video; i would rather just stab my eyes out with those paper shurikens kids make in grade school when they are busy not listening to their teachers. i quite literally hate Facebook, so i doubt i will maintain that in the future, but that could change if my racist/sexist relatives either die off or shut up in the near future. I have plans to use the YT, so once i get the inclination to make a video for SfS, i will. More likely, i will just shitpost my podcasts there... haven't decided yet.

anyway, it is good to be here and i hope to involve myself (read: inject myself) into your conversations, all unwelcome-like.
<3<3<3

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:57 am

ShillForScience wrote:Hello!

Well... i finally made an account here...

I am a Shill For Science, as the name suggests. I am starting up a podcast, and when i get some content up, i will share with you all.

Currently, i maintain a twitter (@ShillForScience), and i have a "teh YouTubez" and a FB made for this endeavor, but these are both problematic, as i am a video editor and adjunct university prof by day, and the last thing i want to do on my off time is make a f*cking video; i would rather just stab my eyes out with those paper shurikens kids make in grade school when they are busy not listening to their teachers. i quite literally hate Facebook, so i doubt i will maintain that in the future, but that could change if my racist/sexist relatives either die off or shut up in the near future. I have plans to use the YT, so once i get the inclination to make a video for SfS, i will. More likely, i will just shitpost my podcasts there... haven't decided yet.

anyway, it is good to be here and i hope to involve myself (read: inject myself) into your conversations, all unwelcome-like.
<3<3<3

hi , looks like you got here when nobody / me was watching .
if your bored , just open a new topic on something you care about .
it will be kind of like the first episode of the walking dead , when the guy rides into town on a horse
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:43 am

You snatched that post just after being approved, pias? :lol:

Hi SfS, welcome to class. :paper:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:21 am

ShillForScience wrote: <3<3<3

I note you ended your post with the following "<3<3<3".

We have a Christian propagandist called Angel, on the forum, who also ends their posts in "<3<3<3" and pretend not to be a Christian.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27875#p562625

May I ask what the significance of this post script number code is?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:49 am

<3 = ♥

~C8>
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:49 am

It's three love hearts. Duh! :P
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:29 am

The same as a threesome?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:50 am

Don't knock it 'til you try it.

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
ShillForScience wrote: <3<3<3

I note you ended your post with the following "<3<3<3".

We have a Christian propagandist called Angel, on the forum, who also ends their posts in "<3<3<3" and pretend not to be a Christian.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=27875#p562625

I thought it was part of Graham's number, but seeing as it came from Angel it seems unlikely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham's_number

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Those are hearts? I thought they were buttocks!

/me weeps
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Boobs.

ShillForScience

Postby ShillForScience » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:51 pm

hey thanks for havin' me y'all. good to be back on social media .001 again. last time i did this, it was the SGU forums... that was fun, i guess.

Matthew Ellard wrote:I note you ended your post with the following "<3<3<3".

well, Matthew, obvs. this is a code from my masters at the Illuminati Headquarters, located in lovely downtown Chicago, Illinois. i can't tell you what the code means, because they will kill me if i do that... you know the drill, i am sure.

($uper $ecret $hill hint: it's butts)

ShillForScience

Postby ShillForScience » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:54 pm

well. damn. i guess i let the Montauk monster out of the bag... and my Loomyarty masters are gonna come and kill me n-

Nobrot
Poster

Postby Nobrot » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:56 pm

ShillForScience wrote:well. damn. i guess i let the Montauk monster out of the bag... and my Loomyarty masters are gonna come and kill me n-

One can only hope. :D

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:12 pm

Ballsack!

It's ballsacks...

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:29 pm

I KNEW they were butts! :shakefist:
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:18 am

ShillForScience wrote: ($uper $ecret $hill hint: it's butts)

I, obviously, owe you an apology. I will go further. I admit that I really didn't know they were hearts. I really thought it was some new mathematical "signing off thingy".

Thank you for pointing out, what should have been obvious to me. You are most welcome to keep doing that on the forum.
:D

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:45 pm

...they're butts.
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “The Nexus”