True stories

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

True stories

Postby landrew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:36 am

Someone go first.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: True stories

Postby Poodle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:17 am

I woke up this morning
(dee dah dah dee DUM) ...

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:36 am

True tall stories?

I just lead a giggle of girls and a pack of boys up my hill to a tree that had a jillion rhinoceros beetles on it. I know not the species of tree, but the beetles probably only know it by the sweetness of its sap. The girls were better at catching the beetles. Two of the boys wouldn`t touch them, much less take one off of the tree.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:18 am

I was on this flight and was asked to help with the evacuation of the plane as it headed back to Narita. Several rows of seats had been cleared, and we were seated near the front of business class and given our instructions. Two men were assigned to each door – the first to open it while the second was to hold other passengers at bay. Once open, the first man was to be the first passenger out the door and down the slide and as other passengers reached the bottom, help them to their feet, while the second was to push passengers out of the plane if they resisted at the door. I was a `second` - a pusher, and when it was finally my turn to jump down the slide, the stewardess had to give me a push. The slide starts several feet below the doorway and it is quite steep.

It was raining and we all crossed the water-filled grassland between the runway and taxiway where waited for the buses, which took over an hour. When we finally did reach the terminal, it was already shut down for the evening so it took another two hours to get us to a hotel. I bailed out and grabbed a taxi for home, and then caught an ongoing flight the next day as if nothing had happened. I did receive a small amount for dry-cleaning, but that was it.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:24 pm

TJrandom wrote:I was on this flight and was asked to help with the evacuation of the plane as it headed back to Narita. Several rows of seats had been cleared, and we were seated near the front of business class and given our instructions. Two men were assigned to each door – the first to open it while the second was to hold other passengers at bay. Once open, the first man was to be the first passenger out the door and down the slide and as other passengers reached the bottom, help them to their feet, while the second was to push passengers out of the plane if they resisted at the door. I was a `second` - a pusher, and when it was finally my turn to jump down the slide, the stewardess had to give me a push. The slide starts several feet below the doorway and it is quite steep.

It was raining and we all crossed the water-filled grassland between the runway and taxiway where waited for the buses, which took over an hour. When we finally did reach the terminal, it was already shut down for the evening so it took another two hours to get us to a hotel. I bailed out and grabbed a taxi for home, and then caught an ongoing flight the next day as if nothing had happened. I did receive a small amount for dry-cleaning, but that was it.

Great story. I guess its hard to avoid panic when smoke and flames appear.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:25 pm

TJrandom wrote:True tall stories?

I just lead a giggle of girls and a pack of boys up my hill to a tree that had a jillion rhinoceros beetles on it. I know not the species of tree, but the beetles probably only know it by the sweetness of its sap. The girls were better at catching the beetles. Two of the boys wouldn`t touch them, much less take one off of the tree.

Was it an evergreen tree?

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:33 pm

I'm guessing at birch (カバ for TJ).

landrew
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby landrew » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:59 pm

Back around '93, I was riding a bus from Great Falls to Helena MT. Sitting across from me was a skinny, older man in tattered clothes, clutching a package wrapped in well-worn brown paper. He made an impression on me with his cold, austere, but proud attitude, and I never forgot what he looked like.

A few years later, I was sitting in a restaurant, watching a TV set to the news, and I saw FBI agents arresting a man who lived in a small cabin near Helena MT. It was unquestionable the same person I saw on the bus. He was Ted Kaczynski, the "Unabomber" finally caught after decades of evading authorities.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:08 pm

Poodle wrote:I'm guessing at birch (カバ for TJ).

Not an evergreen, and I think not a birch. Small leaves - maybe an inch wide and one and a half long. The bark on the trunk and some limbs split vertically for maybe a foot or so, providing a wound where the beetles fed. I`ll try to identify it.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:29 pm

Spoiler:

Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 pm

On that flight - I was working for a NY based bank at the time, and we were planning to install ATMs in our Tokyo branches, and join the Japanese banking sector ATM network as well as the international network – progress that was possible due to Reagan`s pressure during trade talks. A NY executive and her son were on the flight too. She really threw a panic attack fit - demanding to be taken to the hospital, etc., even though it didn`t appear that she was even slightly injured, and it appeared to be a bit embarrassing for her son. But if it hadn`t been for her son being there, I`d have needed to step up and accompany her to the hospital. The next day she was the topic of lively conversation on the replacement flight.

She was pushing use of the Daibold Mac-truck anchor type ATM, where deposits were placed in envelopes and dropped into the safe for manual counting and posting on the following day. Japan ATMs at the time took both paper and coin, counted it, retuned any amount if a partial deposit were requested, and of course recycled the cash so that top-up trips were minimised. Plus they had a smaller footprint and weighed far less. Before the final decision was made, I had to import a Daibold on a carnet and invite the head of the US bank`s customisation plant over for a side by side demonstration and comparison, such was the pressure to be the same across the world for that bank, even though their ATM was an antique.

Both her antics and the ATM selection approval process were a bit of a farce.

Return to “The Nexus”