Dude Dies…WTF

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Dude Dies…WTF

Postby fromthehills » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:27 am

So Japanese guy lives a rich life after a very odd one. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/world ... .html?_r=0

So, anybody think he was a hero? I mean, bad ass maybe, but he lived as a murderer and a thief for 30 years, no matter the very odd notion that he was still at war.

How many of you would have held out more than 6 months before you went into town and settled in with a native? Not me, probably not.

So, a mental health issue? Or a really BS story, in which the guy did settle down with a native woman, had a family, then once found, created the story for some BS honor reason?

Sure, we can look at cultural differences, some impenetrable honor. I'm just not buying it.

octopus1
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk

Re: Dude Dies…WTF

Postby octopus1 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:08 pm

fromthehills wrote:So Japanese guy lives a rich life after a very odd one. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/18/world ... .html?_r=0

So, anybody think he was a hero? I mean, bad ass maybe, but he lived as a murderer and a thief for 30 years, no matter the very odd notion that he was still at war.

How many of you would have held out more than 6 months before you went into town and settled in with a native? Not me, probably not.

So, a mental health issue? Or a really BS story, in which the guy did settle down with a native woman, had a family, then once found, created the story for some BS honor reason?

Sure, we can look at cultural differences, some impenetrable honor. I'm just not buying it.

Perhaps the use of the term "hero" is no more than editorial embellishment? I'd be concerned that the majority of stories of missing soldiers found in jungles etc. come from Japan. Whether that's indicative of BS, or tied in with some innate tendency for the Japanese armed forces to 'fight to the bitter end', I can't be sure.

He wasn't a hero in real terms, that's for sure. Quite evidently, since he spent 20 years "off duty"...
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

Martin Brock
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Martin Brock » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:39 pm

fromthehills wrote:... he lived as a murderer and a thief for 30 years, no matter the very odd notion that he was still at war.

He was a murderer and a thief before the state subjecting him decided to make nice with other states as well, and so were the people targeting him, so I don't see much difference. Dishonor all around. I honor his victims and the soldiers who deserted without firing a shot.

Sadly, many if not most Japanese, long after the fact, regret the "dishonor" of surrender more than the death, misery and enslavement wrought by their state on half of Asia in their name. Americans feel the same way about Vietnam, so the United State has learned never to concede defeat, only to wreak the havoc, declare victory, withdraw and wait for the next opportunity.
People associating freely respect norms of their choice, and relationships governed this way are necessarily interdependent.

More central authorities conquer by dividing, imposing norms channeling the value of synergy toward themselves.

"Every man for himself" is the prescription of a state, not a free community. A state protects the poor from the rich only in fairy tales.

SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Postby SweetPea » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:43 pm

He never ate his victims, right?
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:23 pm

Good example uv sement hed.

Him & hiz buddyz ignored all the evidence that the war wuz over to prezerv wut they wanted to believ. Still, you gotta respect the perseverens.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Alexander941
Regular Poster
Custom Title: sublime God Emperor

Postby Alexander941 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:51 pm

Sure the Idea he fought for was wrong.
But you have to give him credit for his endurance and the sacrifices he made to manage fighting for a quarter century in the jungle.
Also I dont know if he really is to blame for all of this by himself, he was brought up and educated this way, and as far as I know he regreted doing these things when he learned that he was wrong all the time.

If he would have been amongst the winners, would we have a differnt image of his one-man-war?

Return to “The Nexus”