A Death in the Country

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

A Death in the Country

Postby kennyc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:34 pm

In doing research for my longer work - Growing Up Stories, I came across a very troubling sight. I've written about it on my Mansions of the Mind blog:

A Death in the Country

America has been eviscerated and no one noticed.

http://mansionsofthemind.blogspot.com/2013/09/a-death-in-country.html
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Re: A Death in the Country

Postby angawawa » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:09 pm

I too live in a small town with a deteriorating downtown. We are trying to bring it back with projects to fix the buildings and beautification stuff. But the deeper message is pretty scary and something some Americans have been saying for a long time. I started watching a show called "The Lottery of Birth" which is about the Trilateral Commission and how the powers that be are turning us all into sheep and robots so we are easier to herd. I had to stop watching it, though; it was just too depressing. Not that I am such a believer, but I do think we are being manipulated. What's the solution? We have to decide to live differently. I make it a point to talk to the ladies at my local WalMart, I know the girls at the bank, and they know me by name. The kids at McDonalds and Sonic know me through my kids, and the pizza man remembers me when I come in. But that is why I chose to move to this town; there are about 7000 citizens, people walk with partners and have birthdays parties and barbeques at the park, and it's the kind of place where parents watch out for other peoples kids. Aside from meth, we have very little crime. I think the last murder we had (meth-related) was 8 or 9 years ago. But again, I chose this kind of life, this is where I wanted to raise my kids. And the kids, now that they are older and on their own, actually appreciate that we lived there and not in some big city. At the time they were in school they complained that there was nothing to do. Towns like mine can still be found around the country, and it's a very different kind of life, but as the population grows, these little places will get bigger and bigger and eventually we'll all be living in giant mega-cities.
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Re: A Death in the Country

Postby kennyc » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Good for you!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Return to “The Nexus”