Heyo!

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Luomo
Poster
Custom Title: junior scientist.

Re: Heyo!

Postby Luomo » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:51 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Runestone

This the one you're talking about? Seems still to be widely believed to be a hoax by just about all experts on runes except for the locals who like to keep it as a sightseeing thing.

(Edit) also see this thread from a while back: viewtopic.php?t=19812

Peace
Dan

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Yes, I don't recall the name of the study, but it found the stone to be authentic. I'll try to dig it up.
Just a guy trying to use reason to find my way through the jungle of ideas.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Luomo wrote:Yes, I don't recall the name of the study, but it found the stone to be authentic. I'll try to dig it up.

:lol:

If that was intentional, Luomo, you're getting into the swing of things.

(There's a thread with the stone starring prominently in the History section somewhere, by the way - Vikings in America. I'd read lots of reasons for the stone being a fake, so I'd be interested in reading your reference).

EDIT: Here you go ...

http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19812

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:09 am

Poodle wrote:
Luomo wrote:Yes, I don't recall the name of the study, but it found the stone to be authentic. I'll try to dig it up.

(There's a thread with the stone starring prominently in the History section somewhere, by the way - Vikings in America. I'd read lots of reasons for the stone being a fake, so I'd be interested in reading your reference).

I've been in the swing of weighing evidence for probably a lot longer than you would likely believe. Actually, there are numerous studies which conclude that the stone is authentic, and about as many short articles claiming the opposite. I'm not going to settle any claims here. Everyone will believe what they want. The only point I attempted to make is that if the scientific method were the only method used to make conclusions about the stone, it likely would have been settled long ago.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:14 am

Luomo wrote:
Poodle wrote:

I've been in the swing of weighing evidence for probably a lot longer than you would likely believe. Actually, there are numerous studies which conclude that the stone is authentic, and about as many short articles claiming the opposite. I'm not going to settle any claims here. Everyone will believe what they want. The only point I attempted to make is that if the scientific method were the only method used to make conclusions about the stone, it likely would have been settled long ago.

Why don't you provide one of those numerous studies?

Lard, save me from your followers.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Postby kennyc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:32 am

And besides, I'll bet you anything it's a REAL stone!

:roll:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:33 am

Luomo wrote:... The only point I attempted to make is that if the scientific method were the only method used to make conclusions about the stone, it likely would have been settled long ago.

And what methods would you recommend in its place?
Kenny A. Chaffin

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:39 am

kennyc wrote:
Luomo wrote:... The only point I attempted to make is that if the scientific method were the only method used to make conclusions about the stone, it likely would have been settled long ago.

And what methods would you recommend in its place?

Well, whatever they are, they don't always come to the conclusions that diligent science does.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:31 am

Luomo wrote:but I think it also shows that science doesn't work nearly as well as it could, without some of the negative bias which seems to be an enemy of progress in some avenues of scientific endeavor.

It haz alot to do with authority based thinking. Peeps often dont hav the wherewithall to figure sumthing out for themselvz, so they rely on the quantity & credentialz uv the experts. Unavoidable given the increasing amount & complexity uv info, but it's often taken too far. They take the word uv an authority in spite uv solid lojik that refutes the authority.

It also haz to do with rezistens to chanj. The history uv science iz full uv rezistens to revolution by the majority. Humanz like to think thingz they 'know' are solid, unassailable, beyond debate. Sement Hed syndrome.

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:54 am

JO 753 wrote:
Luomo wrote:but I think it also shows that science doesn't work nearly as well as it could, without some of the negative bias which seems to be an enemy of progress in some avenues of scientific endeavor.

It haz alot to do with authority based thinking. Peeps often dont hav the wherewithall to figure sumthing out for themselvz, so they rely on the quantity & credentialz uv the experts. Unavoidable given the increasing amount & complexity uv info, but it's often taken too far. They take the word uv an authority in spite uv solid lojik that refutes the authority.

It also haz to do with rezistens to chanj. The history uv science iz full uv rezistens to revolution by the majority. Humanz like to think thingz they 'know' are solid, unassailable, beyond debate. Sement Hed syndrome.

Yes, I agree, fear of change, defering to authority and also fear of ignorance. We like to think we can explain everything at some level, and the thought of just not knowing is terrifying to some.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Ave Atque Vale

Postby Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Luomo wrote:
JO 753 wrote:

Yes, I agree, fear of change, defering to authority and also fear of ignorance. We like to think we can explain everything at some level, and the thought of just not knowing is terrifying to some.

The real issue is that science keeps asking, "OK, so show us those studies you're talking about."
While pseudoscience keeps complaining about science, while not providing those studies.

Get it?
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Daedalus wrote:
Luomo wrote:
JO 753 wrote:

The real issue is that science keeps asking, "OK, so show us those studies you're talking about."
While pseudoscience keeps complaining about science, while not providing those studies.

Get it?

If all the studies were peer-reviewed and held to the same high scientific standard, there wouldn't be much to argue about. My secret wish is that everyone would revere the principles of the scientific method in forming their opinions. Unfortunately the studies exist in a mixture ranging from good science to junk science, which tends to discredit the whole as a group for many people. As long as bias holds sway over science, it amounts to mostly rhetoric. The field is open for anyone to discredit nearly any study as junk science. I've seen citation wars, and they rarely change minds. The real value is not in feeling you've won some sort of flame war, the value is in the collective sharing of knowledge.

yeah right :roll:

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:49 pm

Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
Luomo wrote:
JO 753 wrote:

Get it?

If all the studies were peer-reviewed and held to the same high scientific standard, there wouldn't be much to argue about. My secret wish is that everyone would revere the principles of the scientific method in forming their opinions. Unfortunately the studies exist in a mixture ranging from good science to junk science, which tends to discredit the whole as a group for many people. As long as bias holds sway over science, it amounts to mostly rhetoric. The field is open for anyone to discredit nearly any study as junk science. I've seen citation wars, and they rarely change minds. The real value is not in feeling you've won some sort of flame war, the value is in the collective sharing of knowledge.

yeah right :roll:

You didn't get it.

You've said there was a study that supported your claim... several people have been asking you to post a link to that study, but you won't, or can't.

Please, you've made a specific claim that the study exists... post it. The rest of what you're posting is just noise.
"Propaganda is a monologue which seeks not a response, but an echo." (W.H. Auden)
"Given time and plenty of paper, philosophers can prove anything." (Robert Heinlein)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?" (Bladerunner)

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:53 pm

Daedalus wrote:
You didn't get it.

You've said there was a study that supported your claim... several people have been asking you to post a link to that study, but you won't, or can't.

Please, you've made a specific claim that the study exists... post it. The rest of what you're posting is just noise.

I don't want to get it. I don't make claims on any behalf. Disbelieve or believe all you want, Google is your oyster. Getting sucked into a citation war is just a sport. It has nothing to do with advancing knowledge.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
You didn't get it.

I don't want to get it. I don't make claims on any behalf. Disbelieve or believe all you want, Google is your oyster. Getting sucked into a citation war is just a sport. It has nothing to do with advancing knowledge.

Really? You're going to claim that making a simple claim that can be supported with one link is a "citation war"?

Pathetic, and transparent, but at least people can know to not take you seriously when you make your claims now.

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Daedalus wrote:
Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
You didn't get it.

Really? You're going to claim that making a simple claim that can be supported with one link is a "citation war"?

Pathetic, and transparent, but at least people can know to not take you seriously when you make your claims now.

Believe it or not, that will be the result. Believe whatever you like, but anyone who gets sucked into defending a claim will always get embroiled in a futile citation war. It's a nice idea in theory, but this the wrong forum for a dignified, orderly discussion of scientific studies. I'll take the heat for ever suggesting that I would do so in the first place.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:24 pm

Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
You didn't get it.

Believe it or not, that will be the result. Believe whatever you like, but anyone who gets sucked into defending a claim will always get embroiled in a futile citation war. It's a nice idea in theory, but this the wrong forum for a dignified, orderly discussion of scientific studies. I'll take the heat for ever suggesting that I would do so in the first place.

It would be only futile if one or both sides weren't open to evaluate the findings and reassess their standpoint.

You already are making it very clear that you have no intention of changing anything about yours. So, yes, apparently futile. And always, lol.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:36 pm

Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
You didn't get it.

You understand that this kind of behavior you're displaying is not clever, or new online, right? It's a pretty standard evasion for people who want to project a certain image while utterly failing to support it.

Again, pathetic.

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:37 pm

Better to stop at the precipice and be thought a coward, than to jump off and be thought a fool.

Unlike several forum regulars who shall remain unnamed.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:39 pm

It's like talking to Al and openmind rolled into one. :roll:

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Luomo wrote:Better to stop at the precipice and be thought a coward, than to jump off and be thought a fool.

Why do I get the feeling that this 'luomo' account is not your first here?

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Daedalus wrote:
Luomo wrote:Better to stop at the precipice and be thought a coward, than to jump off and be thought a fool.

What do you base your feeling on?

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

What do you base your feeling on?

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:49 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:It's like talking to Al and openmind rolled into one. :roll:

Well for all that we know he is one or both, using a proxy or VPN. Then again, he could just be yet another idiot trying to portray himself a particular way online, demanding respect, and offering nothing in return.

The internet is full of them, but his way of talking about "forum regulars" and his rapid descent from casual greeting to endless complaining about the forum itself is a bit odd.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Is it REALLY possible that you are speaking critically of two identities ROLLED INTO ONE?
As in, beg pardon?
Seriously?
Surely you, perceptive and acutely sensitive as you are, must have noticed that not all the participants here share you highly evolved mischievous and charming sense of irony.
Or your ever present light of heart humor.

Some of us really DON'T recognize ourselves when we describe the failings of offenses of others.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Daedalus wrote:

Well for all that we know he is one or both, using a proxy or VPN. Then again, he could just be yet another idiot trying to portray himself a particular way online, demanding respect, and offering nothing in return.

The internet is full of them, but his way of talking about "forum regulars" and his rapid descent from casual greeting to endless complaining about the forum itself is a bit odd.

Yes! Richt you are!!
At last!! (Every pretension will have its day!)
The internet IS full of THEM ... THEM ...THEM. although so rarely YOU.

And thus so interesting that you noticed even as you are so busy keeping up a running complaint about the intelligence OR the sincerity of others.

Hey, are you the same Deadalus who asked Jo - and this very day - to not refer to you as really being a past poster who (and incidentally did not acquit him/herself very nobly here) having, prior to your own appearance in the Foroum the record for using "moron" and "idiot" more than any other descriptives?

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 pm

nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

Yes! Richt you are!!

And thus so interesting that you noticed even as you are so busy keeping up a running complaint about the intelligence OR the sincerity of others.

Hey, are you the same Deadalus who asked Jo - and this very day - to not refer to you as really being a past poster who (and incidentally did not acquit him/herself very nobly here) having, prior to your own appearance in the Foroum the record for using "moron" and "idiot" more than any other descriptives?

Norma Manna Blum

I rarely use the terms "moron", or "idiot".

nmblum wrote:Some of us really DON'T recognize ourselves when we describe the failings of offenses of others.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:16 pm

Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

Yes! Richt you are!!

Norma Manna Blum

nmblum wrote:Some of us really DON'T recognize ourselves when we describe the failings of offenses of others.

By the way you define those terms, I don't mind the label.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:17 pm

nmblum wrote:

Is it REALLY possible that you are speaking critically of two identities ROLLED INTO ONE?
As in, beg pardon?
Seriously?
Surely you, perceptive and acutely sensitive as you are, must have noticed that not all the participants here share you highly evolved mischievous and charming sense of irony.

Some of us really DON'T recognize ourselves when we describe the failings of offenses of others.

Norma Manna Blum

As it so often happens, I am not quite sure what you are aiming at here. It seems you are implying a "Jekyll and Hyde personality"? I would have to say you'd be very wrong in that. It's many more than just two that dwell in any person.

And some qualities are stronger, or weaker, than others. And some can be quite strong, but not necessarily expressed. At least not as often as others.

So, yes, as each and everyone of us, I am many. And not even a lifetime is enough to become acquainted with all of them. But every instance can be an education, an encounter with another friend or foe.

And yes, mirrors can be very useful in that. : )

Owleglasse

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:53 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
nmblum wrote:

As in, beg pardon?
Seriously?

Norma Manna Blum

As it so often happens, I am not quite sure what you are aiming at here. It seems you are implying a "Jekyll and Hyde personality"? I would have to say you'd be very wrong in that. It's many more than just two that dwell in any person.

And some qualities are stronger, or weaker, than others. And some can be quite strong, but not necessarily expressed. At least not as often as others.

So, yes, as each and everyone of us, I am many. And not even a lifetime is enough to become acquainted with all of them. But every instance can be an education, an encounter with another friend or foe.

And yes, mirrors can be very useful in that. : )

Owleglasse

Not Jekyll and Hyde (unless you've never actually read the book).
Dr. Jekyll was good, even noble, serious, gallant, generous , a Samaritan.
Hyde reflected the dark, even monstrous side of his most intimate and hidden self.
And the release of his most ardent but shameful desires.
I was attributing NOTHING so deep seated or dark, or even significant to your recent remarks..
At least not in the present context; your private life is your own business.
Involvement with trivia, though, may indeed give a clue to who we really are, but mostly it identifies us as...essentially... nobody.
All I was saying - simple enough I thought - is that it seems odd that you of all possible inventions here, would imply - critically- that there is a possible double identity of posters who to your eye and mind seem to share similar sensibilities.
Odd.
Not fatal.
Not worth beating to death as if there were - in the offing - a possible winner.
There are no winners here.
Even the music has died.

Norma
Skepticism:

kennyc
Has No Life

Postby kennyc » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
You didn't get it.

WTF? You've just contradicted your own statements. :roll:
Kenny A. Chaffin

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:01 pm

kennyc wrote:
Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
You didn't get it.

Anything is possible in your world.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:43 pm

nmblum wrote:All I was saying - simple enough I thought - is that it seems odd that you of all possible inventions here, would imply - critically- that there is a possible double identity of posters who to your eye and mind seem to share similar sensibilities.

I did not mean to imply such. If it seemed that way, it was unintentional and I apologize.

Edit: I was merely expressing my frustration with this kind of attitude and behavior. On this forum.
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:49 pm

Luomo wrote:
kennyc wrote:
Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
You didn't get it.

Anything is possible in your world.

LOL
So many worlds... science, poetry, theosophy, literary values, hawking of one's one mediocre wares.
Not to mention the charming world of the anthropomorphizing of CATS!!
So many worlds, so little capacity for judgment.

NMB
Skepticism:

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:
nmblum wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

Yes! Richt you are!!

Norma Manna Blum

By the way you define those terms, I don't mind the label.

Just think, the time you've wasted complaining and nitpicking could have been entirely replaced by triumph had you just posted that study.

For the record, everybody who has ever been online for more than 5 minutes knows that long-winded excuses in the place of a single link means you have nothing. Posturing doesn't change that, it just makes you appear more self-deluded than most.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:15 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
nmblum wrote:All I was saying - simple enough I thought - is that it seems odd that you of all possible inventions here, would imply - critically- that there is a possible double identity of posters who to your eye and mind seem to share similar sensibilities.

I did not mean to imply such. If it seemed that way, it was unintentional and I apologize.

Edit: I was merely expressing my frustration with this kind of attitude and behavior. On this forum.

Your frustration?
And you ameliorate it by adopting exactly the attitude and behavior you deride?
And please... there is no need to apologize to me..
This is not a personal matter: like you, I am merely a commentator here, NOT a censor.
And not the leader of a pack.
I have no wish to keep you, or anyone else, from voicing opinions much as I know you certainly have no wish to keep me from saying what I have to say....
However, there is of late, the implication particularly to new participants who early on are critical of the excesses of the Posse, that there is an in-group of leaders and an out-group of followers here. .
A WE and and a THEY, among posters..
One's place in the imaginary society determined by what by now appears to be the Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
I think that not to comment on that as forcefully l (and with as much mockery as possible) is not only a right but a responsibility.
And now, I getting out of this supposedly beneficial contraption, and hieing myself to the to cactus farm to indulge my own obsessive nature.

NMB
Skepticism:

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:52 pm

I almost got sucked in again, but no, I'm not claiming anything. To do so in this forum is really asking for it.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:03 pm

Luomo wrote:I almost got sucked in again, but no, I'm not claiming anything. To do so in this forum is really asking for it.

Not only did you make a claim, but you recognized the need to support it and offered to do so before you got all shy.

Luomo wrote:

This the one you're talking about? Seems still to be widely believed to be a hoax by just about all experts on runes except for the locals who like to keep it as a sightseeing thing.

Peace
Dan

Yes, I don't recall the name of the study, but it found the stone to be authentic. I'll try to dig it up.

It's OK to be wrong, to not have the study... we all make mistakes. What we don't all do is act like an {!#%@} for a page to try and cover that mistake.

Luomo
Poster

Postby Luomo » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:10 am

Daedalus wrote:
Luomo wrote:I almost got sucked in again, but no, I'm not claiming anything. To do so in this forum is really asking for it.

Not only did you make a claim, but you recognized the need to support it and offered to do so before you got all shy.

Luomo wrote:

Peace
Dan

It's OK to be wrong, to not have the study... we all make mistakes. What we don't all do is act like an {!#%@} for a page to try and cover that mistake.

I was wrong. To think that I could make anything resembling a claim and make it out of here alive.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:11 am

That's a bit drastic. The point of this skeptic forum is to allow a member to make a claim, present evidence and then have all the other members look for holes. The advantage of this forum is that there is no embarrassment in having a claim shot down. Everyone here has got something wrong once and gone....."Whoops" and continued to post with no loss of face.

I'm competitive and others here are competitive, but this forum isn't a competition. If you post claims with evidence and recognise and acknowledge problems when they are pointed out...then you are doing the right thing. You will earn respect.

Daedalus
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Daedalus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:11 am

Luomo wrote:
Daedalus wrote:

Luomo wrote:

Peace
Dan

I was wrong. To think that I could make anything resembling a claim and make it out of here alive.

I think it's cute that you can't just admit the study doesn't exist... it's charmingly thin-skinned.

Return to “The Nexus”