Wuts Oiling Your Girz Today

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: Wuts Oiling Your Girz Today

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:46 pm

I've done it...but always with veneers. Its what contact cement is made for. Easy to do....if you practice the lining up the pieces first. I like making a vertical sandwich as gravity keeps the pieces aligned at the bottom. Nearly fool proof...until you get too confident. Bring the pieces together from the bottom to avoid air bubbles rather than as many say to mount by dropping down from above with strips to keep the pieces separate. A roller and then some elbow grease or weight makes the final product a single piece with no air bubbles.

Having posted that, my actual experience, I see no reason at all that just about ANY glue would not work...including those that would allow a long set time so the pieces could be positions after contact is made. Hmmm....years to think the whole contact glue is conceptually a bad product with its instant set. I'll guess and say the advantage is the melding is irreversible...but it would be the same with about any glue from my experience.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Not sure if "just about ANY glue" would hold up too well over a stove?

I know, I know, 'Oh, just clamp it!' :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:17 pm

Eggs: well thats a point. and the grease? ==and moisture from steam...but still...with the entire surface covered..the competing elements would have to be pervasive and long term which would be rare. In a commercial kitchen...yes...I'd go with contact cement...waterproof if memory serves.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:14 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I've done it...but always with veneers. Its what contact cement is made for. Easy to do....
I've been watching lots of You tube "how to" videos, which has been really informative.

It's the little things that are going to "frustrate me". For example, kitchen cupboard hinges now need a special tool to drill the right standardised holes. I didn't know that..

I found a kitchen "flat pack" joinery that can cut the wood, laminate it in my colour and drill all the right bits, if I take down a design on graph paper. I'm going to get a quote from them. I hate jobs that drag on because I don't know how to finish them.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:21 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:It's the little things that are going to "frustrate me". For example, kitchen cupboard hinges now need a special tool to drill the right standardised holes. I didn't know that..

Making furniture was an early hobby of mine. I can't even imagine what kind of special drill in needed to drill a hole. I'd love to see a link to the hinges you want to use. Hinges perform a basic function and absent a special need I would simply change the design to use a hinge that takes a standard drill to make. As you are Smart Matt: I don't think you are referring to using a template to make the holes.

Kitchen cabinets: easy to make yourself and you can save a ton of money.

One major life accomplishment I'll never do: build my house in every respect that doesn't take someone on the other end to help lift. A house built with the finest woods and joinery. Never stayed in one place, one job, long enough to be able to do it. could do it now... out of energy. Plus half the joy of the thing was to see it age well in place with minimum maintenance. Hmmm...If I had my life to live over, think I'd get a steady, lower paid, stay put job and invest in making that house. Have to wait for the tantric wheel to turn.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:09 pm

If you were to do it now and needed someone to run stuff past, I'm fairly certain our fromthehills would be happy to abuse advise you through it. I'd say building like that is his thing...

:hmm: Where did he get to now? Popped in just recently... come back now, ya hear!
Hi, Io the lurker.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:03 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:If you were to do it now and needed someone to run stuff past, I'm fairly certain our fromthehills would be happy to abuse advise you through it. I'd say building like that is his thing...

:hmm: Where did he get to now? Popped in just recently... come back now, ya hear!

LOL.. Mächtig, Eggs.. mächtig!!
This must be your version of living dangerously!!
Because one can say this for you: yellow as they may be, and overexposed, you DO have balls!...
And of course, it certainly is true in this our life, that temptation WILL arise that is IRRESISTIBLE, that will not be denied, that will make the lion (or the mouse) come out of its lair.
Still, there IS always the worry that the hunter (or the cat) will pounce.
So!! Now!! What are the odds......????

NMB .

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:29 am

Flaunt them if you got them... :tease:
Hi, Io the lurker.

nmblum88
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby nmblum88 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:53 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Flaunt them if you got them... :tease:

By all means.
But even if ONE has what seems like an endless supply, it's best for ONE to avoid see-through underwear.

NMB

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:02 am

scrmbldggs wrote:If you were to do it now and needed someone to run stuff past, I'm fairly certain our fromthehills would be happy to abuse advise you through it. I'd say building like that is his thing...

It would be very sensible for me to talk to FromtheHills is he was still around. An experienced person already has simple solutions to all the little problems that baffle me.

I'm putting in a Westinghouse Range-hood and I went looking for a solution to replacing a custom face to the sliding out bit. On the Westinghouse "forum" there were many customer posts complaining the unit had no suction power, immediately followed by a Westinghouse person saying "Did you unscrew the exit valves transport cover?"

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:43 am

And YouTube is your friend - whodathunk. :cool:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Went to get a "gallon of milk" car Friday, just something to make grocery runs when Boss Lady was at work. We went to a place I've bought beaters from several times. The guy who runs the place took us around back to where they were unloading some new arrivals. One of them was a '05 Mazda Tribute S. It was pristine, obviously owned by a little old, it had the owners manual still in the original zipper jacket, and had 57K miles. Bought it immediately after test driving it. Financed it with $154/month payments. Sweet timing. :D
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:58 pm

It seemz your idea uv a beater iz not the same az mine.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:10 am

I bought a used egg beater at the Salvation Army bazaar. Three bucks, no manual but obviously owned by a little old who most likely got a heart attack beating her eggs by hand. The seller assured me it had a low mileage and no rust. It was a steal.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:32 am

My rug beater was free - nobody knew what it was.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:55 pm

Rug beaters are near worthless without a clothes line. did you get a combo deal?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:57 pm

For Matt: if you really screw things up:

How to Strip Veneer

http://www.hometalk.com/1211623/how-to- ... tools-easy

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:03 pm

I am basking in the afterglow of an eye examination where I had my pupils dilated. Reality looks remarkably like a Liberace video.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Quick, everybody do their worst now (in small print) - Pyrrho can't see what you're doing.

Hope the results are favorable!
Hi, Io the lurker.

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:40 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Quick, everybody do their worst now (in small print) - Pyrrho can't see what you're doing.

Hope the results are favorable!

Dilated pupils? Crack will do that . . .
May the sight be with you
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Pyrrho wrote:I am basking in the afterglow of an eye examination where I had my pupils dilated. Reality looks remarkably like a Liberace video.

Nice to learn we are a site for sore eyes.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:26 pm

Eyes are in good shape. 12 days from now I get my new Ray-Bans. So I will be able to see what I'm saying.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:55 pm

I had mine checked a week ago after 15 years. Still 20/20, no glaucoma, no cataracts. but you were recommended Ray Bans? Confirm..... or any specific reason? I think shades combat cataracts...but didn't know they were "recommended" beyond looking cool?

Glaucoma: causes damage before you are really aware of it. More likely as one ages. good to check for it now and then. Many/some...new practices?...provide free screening. Course, its covered in the civilized world.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:36 am

Pyrrho wrote:I am basking in the afterglow of an eye examination where I had my pupils dilated. Reality looks remarkably like a Liberace video.
Every year I get the back of my eyes photographed to check for vascular deterioration. So far so good.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:42 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I had mine checked a week ago after 15 years. Still 20/20, no glaucoma, no cataracts. but you were recommended Ray Bans? Confirm..... or any specific reason? I think shades combat cataracts...but didn't know they were "recommended" beyond looking cool?.
If you see a large group of Australian public school kids, going on a school excursion, they wear sunglasses and the same sort of hats as soldiers in the French Foreign Legion. I first thought this was a bit silly, but I now know it is sensible. :D

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:38 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I had mine checked a week ago after 15 years. Still 20/20, no glaucoma, no cataracts. but you were recommended Ray Bans? Confirm..... or any specific reason? I think shades combat cataracts...but didn't know they were "recommended" beyond looking cool?

Glaucoma: causes damage before you are really aware of it. More likely as one ages. good to check for it now and then. Many/some...new practices?...provide free screening. Course, its covered in the civilized world.

I drive 30 miles to work and 30 miles to home and it's sun glare season. For some reason I just kept picking out Ray-Ban frames so I gave up and bought the damn things. "Last sunglasses you'll ever wear," said the clerk.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:27 pm

Paragon partitioning software 16.0 is being given away free this month so I d/l the installer for the latest goodness but got a notice I had to install Internet Explorer for the install to complete. "Nice tie in arrangement" is what I thought....but free is free. So..I have IE 9.,0...can't find any upgrade button on the program so use IE 9.0 to download 11.0 from the Microsoft website. Says its downloaded and ready to install...but I can't find the file on my computer. The symbol for "run" or "save" is not where MS says it should be. What to do?????

Of course, I go back to Firefox, download the program, and install IE 11.0. Have to restart my computer to find out if it will work to install Paragon or if I have to downgrade to IE 10.0. This is only one example of how the worlds best software doesn't work. I have dozens of examples.

but grab yourself the Paragon. Its free.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Pyrrho wrote:"Last sunglasses you'll ever wear," said the clerk.

Thats the correct fraze, but I alwayz test them on an acquaintans to be sure the denueralize filter iz working.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:54 pm

I don`t know about `Ray-Ban` sunglasses - are they `safety glasses`? That is, at what velocity/mass will they not shatter? I only buy eyewear that are safety glasses, since I do not want shattered glass anywhere near my eyes. Available at welding supply/mechanical supply shops.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:50 am

Pyrrho wrote:For some reason I just kept picking out Ray-Ban frames so I gave up and bought the damn things.

Pyrrho, the Utilitarian
"Since pilots were flying farther, faster, and higher than ever before, pilots would come down with massive headaches from the bright sun. Lieutenant General John MacCready of the U.S. Air Corps called up Bausch & Lomb, (Ray Bans) who tackled the situation and unwittingly left the greatest mark on the history of eyewear.'

Pyrrho, in his tribute to Douglas MacArthur
"The first guy to popularize the Aviator (Ray Bans) was not a celebrity, but rather General Douglas MacArthur."
Ray bans.jpg

Pyrrho, the hands-free smoker?
"One of the more bizarre Ray-Ban designs, the Kalichrome Shooter Aviator's cigarette hole supposedly allowed the wearer to free up both hands for shooting." (It's a hole above the nose bridge)
ray-ban-shooter-aviators2.jpg

Lifted from "11 things I didn't know about Ray Bans"
https://www.thrillist.com/gear/fun-fact ... -celebrity
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:15 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Pyrrho, in his tribute to Douglas MacArthur
"The first guy to popularize the Aviator (Ray Bans) was not a celebrity, but rather General Douglas MacArthur."

How is he not considered a celebrity? :|
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:18 am

Gord wrote: How is he not considered a celebrity? :|
Celebrities don't do anything useful. :D

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:04 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote: How is he not considered a celebrity? :|

Celebrities don't do anything useful. :D

So how is he not considered a celebrity? :mrgreen:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:43 am

Gord wrote:So how is he not considered a celebrity? :mrgreen:
I shall return.jpg

MacArthur only returned "once". Kim Kardashian's show has returned for 11 further series. MacCarthur couldn't get arrested in Hollywood today. :D

(Phew, got out of that one. Thank the stars, I can speak fluent Hollywood entertainment agent bull-shit)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:42 am

MacArthur's military maneuvers at Anacostia Flats may give you some idea about his character.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:45 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:For some reason I just kept picking out Ray-Ban frames so I gave up and bought the damn things.

Pyrrho, the Utilitarian
"Since pilots were flying farther, faster, and higher than ever before, pilots would come down with massive headaches from the bright sun. Lieutenant General John MacCready of the U.S. Air Corps called up Bausch & Lomb, (Ray Bans) who tackled the situation and unwittingly left the greatest mark on the history of eyewear.'

Pyrrho, in his tribute to Douglas MacArthur
Ray bans.jpg

Pyrrho, the hands-free smoker?
"One of the more bizarre Ray-Ban designs, the Kalichrome Shooter Aviator's cigarette hole supposedly allowed the wearer to free up both hands for shooting." (It's a hole above the nose bridge)
ray-ban-shooter-aviators2.jpg

Lifted from "11 things I didn't know about Ray Bans"
https://www.thrillist.com/gear/fun-fact ... -celebrity

That's for the Third Eye of anyone who was a member of the Illuminati.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:21 am

Pyrrho wrote:MacArthur's military maneuvers at Anacostia Flats may give you some idea about his character.

Thanks for that. That was a piece of USA history I did not know, that has three big, later military players, involved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army
"The Bonus Army was the popular name for an assemblage of some 43,000 marchers—17,000 U.S. World War I veterans who gathered in Washington,....1932, to demand cash-payment redemption of their service certificate"

"At 4:45 p.m., commanded by General Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry Regiment, Fort Howard, Maryland, and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, supported by six battle tanks commanded by Maj. George S. Patton, formed in Pennsylvania Avenue while thousands of civil service employees left work to line the street and watch. The Bonus Marchers, believing the troops were marching in their honor, cheered the troops until Patton ordered[citation needed] the cavalry to charge them"

During the military operation, Major Dwight D. Eisenhower, later the 34th president of the United States, served as one of MacArthur's junior aides.[17] Believing it wrong for the Army's highest-ranking officer to lead an action against fellow American war veterans, he strongly advised MacArthur against taking any public role

I openly wonder if this was a really stupid idea, because it was only 70-80 years after the American civil War. Having loyal USA soldiers attack other loyal USA ex-soldiers, seems a little bit too close to loyal USA Unionist soldier fighting loyal Confederate soldiers. It would seem to make civil war "a normal thing".

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:41 am

You may note that he also disobeyed President Hoover when Hoover ordered an end to the attacks. A scenario played out later during the Korean War.

My, those uniforms look familiar. Must have been the style of the times, when they still rode horses and maybe mules, who knows.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:04 am

Pyrrho wrote:My, those uniforms look familiar. Must have been the style of the times, when they still rode horses and maybe mules, who knows.
You are commenting on their "Jodhpurs" (Kentucky Jodhpurs). I don't really know, but I assume as there were 6 tanks there and a cavalry regiment, both groups considered themselves "cavalry" and dressed accordingly. I do know that Jodhpurs were popular in all armies during WWII, to non cavalry personnel.

Here is Patton with his riding swagger stick, as commander of a tank division. I don't think beating a tank with his stick would make it go any faster.
patton with riding stick.jpg
Patton and tank.jpg

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Juj Alex iz back on TV here. Wun uv my fave daytime syndicated brain decay showz. :nuts:
It will be rerunz, kuz the show ended production in 2014, but sins I cant remember any uv them anyway, it duznt matter.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Return to “The Nexus”