Wuts Oiling Your Girz Today

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Re: Wuts Oiling Your Girz Today

Postby TJrandom » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:59 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:[color=#000080]Hello everyone.

My first compliment goes to the people of Hawaii. They really are warm and friendly people. The only abrupt people were the homeland immigration officers. I walked up, with Amanda to the immigration desk and the bloke said "Are you married?" and when I said "no" he sent me back into the line to wait my turn. Fair enough. :D ...

You didn`t handle that one right. You were supposed to suggest that He go to the end of the line - and of course say that with a loud voice, adding Mate of course. ;)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:06 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: The only abrupt people were the homeland immigration officers. I walked up, with Amanda to the immigration desk and the bloke said "Are you married?" and when I said "no" he sent me back into the line to wait my turn. Fair enough. :D ...

TJrandom wrote:You didn`t handle that one right. You were supposed to suggest that He go to the end of the line - and of course say that with a loud voice, adding Mate of course. ;)
There was no way in the world I was going to irritate this person. You have to get fingerprinted to get into the USA at the moment. As I play round-wound guitar strings, my left hand finger tips are just callouses. I had to explain that to "Mr Grumpy". :D

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:14 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote: The only abrupt people were the homeland immigration officers. I walked up, with Amanda to the immigration desk and the bloke said "Are you married?" and when I said "no" he sent me back into the line to wait my turn. Fair enough. :D ...

TJrandom wrote:You didn`t handle that one right. You were supposed to suggest that He go to the end of the line - and of course say that with a loud voice, adding Mate of course. ;)
There was no way in the world I was going to irritate this person. You have to get fingerprinted to get into the USA at the moment. As I play round-wound guitar strings, my left hand finger tips are just callouses. I had to explain that to "Mr Grumpy". :D

All fingers printed or just an index finger? And when you asked Mr. Grumpy this legit question, you could have inadvertently given him that middle finger salute – while smiling of course. Sometimes that quite knowing, yet polite communication can go a long way. :)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:15 am

I was thinking of Gawdzilla.
What bar am I visiting, that Gawdzilla may have already, quenched his thirst?
:D
For Gawdzilla.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:21 am

TJrandom wrote:All fingers printed or just an index finger?
Both hands, all fingers, and thumbs separately and then a face photo. :frown:

TJrandom wrote:And when you asked Mr. Grumpy this legit question, you could have inadvertently given him that middle finger salute – while smiling of course. Sometimes that quite knowing, yet polite communication can go a long way. :)
I totally agree. I simply smiled all the time and never gave cheek to anyone. Surprisingly, I didn't see many armed people at the airport. I've been in airports in Europe where even the porters are packing machine guns. :D

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:57 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I walked up, with Amanda to the immigration desk and the bloke said "Are you married?" and when I said "no" he sent me back into the line to wait my turn. Fair enough. :D

You could've said, "Yes, under Australian common law. De facto couples living together are afforded all the recognition, rights, privileges, and responsibilities of marriage."

But you're right. That would've annoyed them. Especially if Amanda is a bloke.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:13 am

Major Malfunction wrote:But you're right. That would've annoyed them. Especially if Amanda is a bloke.
Hmmmm......I'm going to continue on my working hypothesis that Amanda is actually a woman.

Matthew : Darling? What exactly are you?"
Amanda : A Man, ...Duuur. How many times do I have to tell you?

Hmmmmm.......Let me get back to you on that one. :D

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 am

Evidence required.

Amanda Hugginkis?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:31 am

That Hawaian Eye theme haz got to be the absolute ultimate worst possible TV show openning theme.

I hope.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Nah. Magnum P.I. for the win.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBIgXhiOpeQ

Not even in the same league!
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:Hello everyone.

Who're you?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:56 pm

JO 753 wrote:That Hawaian Eye theme haz got to be the absolute ultimate worst possible TV show openning theme.

We went to the Bishop Museum ( Hawaiian History Museum). They had a hilarious display of 1920's to 1940's sheet music written on the mainland, by blokes who had never been to Hawaii. These blokes simply made up the local language in their music because no one was going to check it out. I loved "Ouga Booga booga" composed by Israel Rosenberg of New York. Vladivostok is more Hawaiian than that particular song.

Anyhow, I entered into a "bromance" with a young graduate, who walked us through the Polynesian history of the museum. (Amanda was rolling her eyes as he and I chatted about human history). He made a great point. The Polynesians did not randomly come across pacific islands and settle there, but rather had ongoing trade and their original shared language kept separately evolving on islands and then would return back to other islands. However it was the sweet potato from Sth America that somehow was gathered by Polynesians and then taken west to the bottom of Indonesia. Therefore, it wasn't Columbus who brought the potato to the main European continent, but rather the Polynesians. This was very exciting. We both became very excited. I had to wake Amanda up, so she could also be excited with this news.

However, my big anthropological find was at a US Army museum concerning Vietnam. My dad served in Vietnam and stole every cultural thing that wasn't nailed down in every country he worked in. He left a weird really big crossbow, that I was never able to identify although I had a vague memory it was French Arabic. However Dad never worked in North Africa. It was actually an Montagnard ( Indigenous Vietnamese) cross bow and I saw an exact same example in the USA Army Museum at Fort DeRussey. (Mine is in better condition)

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:55 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:My dad served in Vietnam and stole every cultural thing that wasn't nailed down in every country he worked in.

That's your British heritage showing through, that is.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:55 am

Captain Cook goes to Hawaii and discovers it already had a monarchy. The Hawaiian monarchy negotiates to join the British Empire but this is set aside during the Crimean war. The Hawaiian monarchy then establishes its own forts with cannons and so on, and is an independent nation state for about 25 years. ( I didn't know that). However the USA commercial sugar cane growers convince the USA to annex Hawaii......which it did....for Pearl Harbour.

For this reason Hawaii has a Union Jack in its state flag. ( We should really send in UK and Commonwealth insurgents and reclaim Hawaii as either independent nation state or a Commonwealth member.......just like Australia did for East Timor.)

(That will teach that Homeland Immigration officer to be blunt with me) :D
Hawaii Flag.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:45 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:I walked up, with Amanda to the immigration desk and the bloke said "Are you married?" and when I said "no" he sent me back into the line to wait my turn. Fair enough. :D

You could've said, "Yes, under Australian common law. De facto couples living together are afforded all the recognition, rights, privileges, and responsibilities of marriage."

But you're right. That would've annoyed them. Especially if Amanda is a bloke.

Gah. You should've said, "We're engaged." That has less words.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:15 am

Or ask if he was proposing...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:49 am

TJrandom wrote:Or ask if he was proposing...
....I was slightly more concerned he would flip through my passport......Russia, Hungary, Estonia, Bosnia, Croatia, Turkey...... I'd then have to tell him my hobby was taking photos of military vehicles. He probably wouldn't like that. :D

Yep....it's tiny and Japanese and there's three left in the world and one is in Hawaii.!
Japanese Ha-Go tank hawaii.jpg
Japanese Ha-Go tank hawaii 2.jpg

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:10 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
TJrandom wrote:Or ask if he was proposing...
....I was slightly more concerned he would flip through my passport......Russia, Hungary, Estonia, Bosnia, Croatia, Turkey...... I'd then have to tell him my hobby was taking photos of military vehicles. He probably wouldn't like that. :D

Yep....it's tiny and Japanese and there's three left in the world and one is in Hawaii.!Japanese Ha-Go tank hawaii.jpgJapanese Ha-Go tank hawaii 2.jpg

Yer supposed to have Amanda take the picture while you ride the big gun... ;)

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:50 am

This honeymoon was terrible. I'm filing for divorce.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:29 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:( We should really send in UK and Commonwealth insurgents and reclaim Hawaii as either independent nation state or a Commonwealth member.......just like Australia did for East Timor.)

Too late. Thru executive order issued via Twitter last nite, Trump gave Hawaii to Vlad Putin.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:41 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:However........ I was leaning against the hotel reception desk and asked the receptionist : "Why was Hawaii Five O called Hawaii five O?". He said "I think that's because it was the fiftieth state to join the USA". Everyone agreed. So I said "So was there an earlier TV police show called Alaska Forty Nine?" Everyone looked at me as if I was mentally enfeebled. :D

Unless you hid your accent, no need to be redundant.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:38 am

Oi! I resemble that remark!

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 am

Over the past several days I weeded, spread compost, and tilled half of my garden space. Today I planted my elephant garlic – cutting back this year to roughly half of what I planted last year.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:44 am

Last year's stampede was a bit much, eh. :-P

Lard, save me from your followers.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:08 pm

We need Matt's MS Paint skills on this, stat!

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:09 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:I was thinking of Gawdzilla.
What bar am I visiting, that Gawdzilla may have already, quenched his thirst?
:D
For Gawdzilla.jpg

Eh?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:11 pm

My daughter and I took the day to prep and cold patch the end of our driveway. I am a seriously hurting human right now, and will be, due to delayed pain. But it needed to be done, and I'm thankful I managed to get through it without collapsing. One more chore to check off the list.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:One more chore to check off the list.

A few more goes at that (and I assume a full dressing of the entire driveway?)....... and you will come to love the beauty and raw nature of pot holes.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:21 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:I was thinking of Gawdzilla. What bar am I visiting, that Gawdzilla may have already, quenched his thirst? :D
For Gawdzilla.jpg

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Eh?
It's the bar on the Missouri Battleship ( "Big Mo" ) with all the original fittings from its last missions. The Missouri was really interesting as I had never been on a battleship before. :D

Pearl Habour Attack Video : "All the battleships were lined up making an easy target."
USN Tour guide : "The nuclear submarines? They are all lined up behind that hill over there".
Matthew : "Can we go there so I can take some photos?"
USN Tour Guide : "No".

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:37 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:I was thinking of Gawdzilla. What bar am I visiting, that Gawdzilla may have already, quenched his thirst? :D
For Gawdzilla.jpg
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Eh?
It's the bar on the Missouri Battleship ( "Big Mo" ) with all the original fittings from its last missions. The Missouri was really interesting as I had never been on a battleship before. :D

Pearl Habour Attack Video : "All the battleships were lined up making an easy target."
USN Tour guide : "The nuclear submarines? They are all lined up behind that hill over there".
Matthew : "Can we go there so I can take some photos?"
USN Tour Guide : "No".

That is a gedunk, not a bar. Misleading.

And yeah, I was onboard Mo when she was fitting out in the early '80s, after coming out of mothballs.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:One more chore to check off the list.

A few more goes at that (and I assume a full dressing of the entire driveway?)....... and you will come to love the beauty and raw nature of pot holes.
Good grief, no! My driveway is 100 meters long, and unpaved. We only addressed the erosion between the pavement at the street and the start of the driveway's gravel portion, which was on a hill. However, we still need to add drainage channels to avoid the problem recurring.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:02 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:That is a gedunk, not a bar. Misleading.

"A Gedunk bar or geedunk bar is the canteen or snack bar of a large vessel of the United States Navy or the United States Coast Guard. The term in this sense was first recorded in Leatherneck Magazine in 1931."

I now know a new word. Thank you. :D

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:That is a gedunk, not a bar. Misleading.

"A Gedunk bar or geedunk bar is the canteen or snack bar of a large vessel of the United States Navy or the United States Coast Guard. The term in this sense was first recorded in Leatherneck Magazine in 1931."

I now know a new word. Thank you. :D

These days "Geedunk" is the junk you buy from the Ship's Store in lieu of attempting suicide on the mess decks.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:18 pm

Busy, busy, busy. Bloody Hell - I haven't been so busy for - oh - some time.
But I haven't gone away.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:26 pm

Poodle: what are you doing??? I do assume its not over sampling your home growns?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:33 am

I wish.
No - I'm protecting circles. It's becoming extremely time-consuming.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:36 am

Poodle wrote:I wish. No - I'm protecting circles. It's becoming extremely time-consuming.

I see. Were you protecting circles in a round about way?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:42 am

Some of these... (x – h)2 + (y – k)2 = r2 ?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby Poodle » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:24 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Poodle wrote:I wish. No - I'm protecting circles. It's becoming extremely time-consuming.

I see. Were you protecting circles in a round about way?

It's actually funny how close to the truth that is :D

Return to “The Nexus”