The Right Thread

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

The Right Thread

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:19 am

Ever wondered where to post that strange topic, or off topic comment, or whatever? Well, you can post it here because this will always be the right thread.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Golden Spiral Trump

Re: The Right Thread

Postby Gord » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:55 am

Thanks! I've been looking for this thing for ages!

Now if only I could remember all the right things to post. :unsure:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:11 am

Am I right in thinking that James Bond always carried the Walther PPK, and the bad guy always carried a Sig Sauer P239? I'm sure about the Walther, but not the Sig.

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:22 am

fromthehills wrote:Am I right in thinking that James Bond always carried the Walther PPK, and the bad guy always carried a Sig Sauer P239? I'm sure about the Walther, but not the Sig.

The face may change, but it's always the Walther. His watches don't change much either.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:25 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
fromthehills wrote:Am I right in thinking that James Bond always carried the Walther PPK, and the bad guy always carried a Sig Sauer P239? I'm sure about the Walther, but not the Sig.

The face may change, but it's always the Walther. His watches don't change much either.

the PPK ,

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:08 am

Dear Skeptics,

Would you send a thousandish dollar money order to someone that you have had email contact with for a couple days, that knows what they are talking about on the products you wish to purchase, and can save you $100-$200 bucks? Or shell out the extra money from the actual websites? The guy is a verified seller on Gunbroker.com, but this is side stuff not on auction. He's also been extremely helpful in finding the right products. I also checked out his mailing address, and it's an apartment building. He does claim to be a dealer for this high quality gun company, and others. There aren't any flaws in his recommendations. It's top notch stuff. I'm building a high end rifle, if you need to know. But the question is: Send money to a guy that seems legit, but no guarantees? Or ditch him, and spend the extra cash on piece of mind, that is a little more guaranteed? See, potentially, the guy gets a good deal from the manufacturer, and makes a little cash from spending time answering all my questions, then ordering all the stuff, and having it sent to me. I'm for that. But I'm not for a non-secure payment.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:07 am

I never send money away without expecting never to see any return. If you're willing to do that, then go for it. If you get something back, consider it a surprise gift!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:37 pm

Seems like as good a place as any...

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.

edited to add extra exclamation point
Last edited by Aztexan on Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic
Custom Title: The Hyphenator

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:35 am

Most eloquently stated, old chap!
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:04 pm

Now it's better
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:27 pm

All hail the edit button. :roses:

Flash
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Flash » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:16 pm

FromTheHills, I think that helping a Nigerian millionaire getting his millions out of the country would be a safer investment. Regards, Flash.
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true. Yogi Berra.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Flash wrote:FromTheHills, I think that helping a Nigerian millionaire getting his millions out of the country would be a safer investment. Regards, Flash.

Thanks, Flash. I actually did spend the extra cash to buy from the actual websites. I do have my suspicions that the guy is legit, however. The reason being that he hasn't tried to importune me with constant emails trying to get me to send him money. Now I'm just waiting, but I'm waiting with actual invoices, and that makes me feel better.

I bought a stripped lower receiver from my local gun shop, because that's the part you need the background check for. I sold three rifles, and so far I have spent all that money on this one.

I'm starting a new business. I'm going to get my tax license and start selling rifle and pistol parts, and ammunition. I may get the FFL in order to sell guns. I'm also going to sell high end tactical gear, and hunting and camping supplies. Then I'm going to offer gun classes. Tactical and home defense classes. Also mountain survival classes. I have the skills to cash in on this whole doomsday prepper phase everyone is going through. Which is good, because I don't see building coming back very quickly.

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Man. I had about 20 or 25 peanut butter and jelly crackers just now. I got a head rush, and I'm tremendously sleepy. Maybe there was something in that Polish fruit spread I used.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:03 pm

Flash, you are doing a tremendous diservice to the honest Nigerian former finance ministers, bank officials, princes, etc. and the hard working, financially astute Americans who can benefit from helping them move their money.

Myself and many of my friends are rolling in money from doing these simple transactions.

I made so much that I can now persue my fun and profitable hobby of selling old beaters to international car dealers for many times their blue book value. Plus, I had so much cash lying around that I purchased and consumed so many products that increase the size of that certain part of the male anatomy ;) that I have to buy custom made 3 legged pants now.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:09 pm

JO 753 wrote:Flash, you are doing a tremendous diservice to the honest Nigerian former finance ministers, bank officials, princes, etc. and the hard working, financially astute Americans who can benefit from helping them move their money.

Myself and many of my friends are rolling in money from doing these simple transactions.

I made so much that I can now persue my fun and profitable hobby of selling old beaters to international car dealers for many times their blue book value. Plus, I had so much cash lying around that I purchased and consumed so many products that increase the size of that certain part of the male anatomy ;) that I have to buy custom made 3 legged pants now.

Where do I sign up?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Its easy! Just turn the spam filter off and take your pick from the many wonderful offers that will flood your in box.

Flash
Has More Than 5K Posts

Postby Flash » Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Good luck in your business ventures fromthehills, I hope it all goes well.
And Joe, thanks for opening my eyes to all those Nigerian possibilities. I didn't know... All those Nigerian millionaires in distress and nobody to help them. In fact, I just got an email from the former king of Timbuktu requesting my help. Got to answer this rapido...
Half the lies they tell about me aren't true. Yogi Berra.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue May 22, 2012 1:41 pm

Anybody ever think it would be much easier to put a beer fridge and computer desk by the bed, accessible from the supine?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed May 23, 2012 1:07 am

fromthehills wrote:Anybody ever think it would be much easier to put a beer fridge and computer desk by the bed, accessible from the supine?

Just keep them in the tank on the back of the toilet.

(I assume, naturally, that you've already got a toilet right there, of course.)
#ANDAMOVIE

OlegTheBatty
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby OlegTheBatty » Wed May 23, 2012 1:14 am

Gord wrote:
fromthehills wrote:Anybody ever think it would be much easier to put a beer fridge and computer desk by the bed, accessible from the supine?

Just keep them in the tank on the back of the toilet.

(I assume, naturally, that you've already got a toilet right there, of course.)

Catheters, hot nurses, and a delivery truck every thursday. What more can a man ask for?

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:39 am

Thats a recliner toilet yr talking about, rite?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed May 23, 2012 1:59 am

All toilets recline, if you do it right.
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Wed May 23, 2012 2:47 am

This is exactly what keeps me coming back to the Skeptic's Forum. You really can't find this type of intellect just anywhere.

Where the {!#%@} is Cha?

I had in mind a desktop that swiveled on a pole, so I wouldn't have to sit up in order to reach it. I could just grab it and rotate the whole computer right over me, stream old Stargate episodes, check email, check in here, reach into the fridge for a breakfast beer, yeah, pee breaks are a problem, but that's where I could get a little stretching and exercise in.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:40 pm

Having high-speed internet is good and bad. When it's fast, it's really excellent, but if it stalls, a little, it's frustrating, even if it's not as bad as before. Plus I ended up watching all the British Office episodes in one day. I even had dreams that I was speaking with a British accent after that.

I've never worked in an office. What do people do in offices? I understand that administrative stuff has to be done, but I really have no connection, or concept of what that is. So my idea is that it's like The Office, or Office Space. Or one can just surf the web, print some things to be filed, and have lunch, then do it again. What skill set is required? Not that I'm looking, or even have office buildings within a hundred miles, that I know of, but curious. I think I'd get pretty fat working a desk job, unless I switched my way of thinking. I work, then like to relax. Couldn't really do that and stay fit if the job didn't take physical exertion.

When I ran my own company, I spent a lot of time in my truck. I'd do layout, maybe make some cuts to show guys what to do, then run to the next job, and do the same. Then I'd grab a burger, and do some billing, material take offs, then have meetings with architects and homeowners. Talk to my insurance guy, talk to my lawyer, do payroll. I guess if I got bigger, I would have to hire people to work in an office to take care of all that stuff. So, I guess I have a bit of a concept.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:11 pm

When I worked in an office, I drank a lot of coffee and tried to avoid the bathrooms because they were tiny, dirty, and everyone noted when anyone else went into them, then days later made off-handed remarks about the smell.

Also, I stole other people's pens a lot. Nobody ever caught me, because I had absolutely no motive for doing it.
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:49 am

Gord wrote:When I worked in an office, I drank a lot of coffee and tried to avoid the bathrooms because they were tiny, dirty, and everyone noted when anyone else went into them, then days later made off-handed remarks about the smell.

Also, I stole other people's pens a lot. Nobody ever caught me, because I had absolutely no motive for doing it.

Thank you, Gord.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:00 am

You're welcome.

Want some pens? The ink's dried out by now, but I never used them anyway.
#ANDAMOVIE

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:59 pm

Sure, a guy can't have too many dried up pens around.

Did you ever get to do this ?

I'm picturing that the plants in the office were sufficiently watered. All the coffee, and avoiding the toilet thing.

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:11 pm

I thought riding public transport was bad, but office toilets really brings it home. Most of Humanity hasn't figured-out the social aspect of society.

Why is it so hard to flush? And why do you wipe your boogers on the wall?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:23 pm

I had a coach, I think it was 7th grade, that wiped his boogers on the bottom of his shoes. Seems reasonable, but he walked on the same friggin gym floor that we were doing exercises on.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:59 am

fromthehills wrote:Did you ever get to do this ?

Toaster oven.

It was, like, caked in burnt...smeg. Burnt mold. Burnt everything-ever-put-in-it-then-left-to-rot.

One day someone asked, "Why doesn't someone do something about it?" I asked if they weren't someone themselves. Eventually we all agreed we should all be someones. Several of us someones then each contributed a part of our individual someoneness to comprise a group someone, who took the toaster oven into the parking lot and descended upon it like the wrath of Zod.

It's funny that the someone destroyed the toaster oven near the dumpster, but didn't put it in the dumpster. Somehow just being near it is good enough. "Oh, we're not littering -- it's near the dumpster!"
#ANDAMOVIE

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:53 am

#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:23 am

The obvious solution is to start stealing reams of thermal receipt paper.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:40 am

And now for something completely different: The Lord Privy Seal.
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:53 am

Major Malfunction wrote:The obvious solution is to start stealing reams of thermal receipt paper.

Stealing reams of thermal paper? Phfft. I only steal thermal thongs from Xtian adult stores like http://www.thepurebed.com/

Probably it's the only excitement they get in a day when some of their stuff is gone by "god's mysterious ways".

Why, it's a miracle! :wgrin:

( Just helping out and serving the lord)

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:25 am

To the neediest go God's greatest gifts.

fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby fromthehills » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:47 am

Gord wrote:http://newcdn.pvponline.com/img/comic/pvp20091028.gif

You look a lot younger there, Gord.

jannette
Regular Poster
Custom Title: I am

Postby jannette » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:16 am

fromthehills wrote:Sure, a guy can't have too many dried up pens around.

Did you ever get to do this ?

I'm picturing that the plants in the office were sufficiently watered. All the coffee, and avoiding the toilet thing.

Sledge hammer & a car.
It's so stess relieving that I thought of making
it a bussness venture. Sledge Hammer Therapy :dwarf:
Good bye cruel internet world. My days here are numbered.
This comp' sucks & I just lost my phone. :(
The End
FIN.

I may be right.
I may be wrong.
I just tell it like I see it. <(*.*)>

jannette
Regular Poster
Custom Title: I am

Postby jannette » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:25 am

OlegTheBatty wrote:Ever wondered where to post that strange topic, or off topic comment, or whatever? Well, you can post it here because this will always be the right thread.

Beware of what you create,
it can be worse than what you wish for. LoL
Good bye cruel internet world. My days here are numbered.
This comp' sucks & I just lost my phone. :(
The End
FIN.

I may be right.
I may be wrong.
I just tell it like I see it. <(*.*)>

Return to “The Nexus”