What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
User avatar
JO 753
Has No Life
Posts: 12951
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:21 pm
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr
Location: BLaNDLaND
Contact:

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby JO 753 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:24 pm

DAM! Do you hav amalgam fillingz, or maybe a reaction to sumthing in your diet??? Alerjic to water?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 pm

JO 753 wrote:I undertsand your perspectiv, Nikki, but in my opinion, there are good reazonz for suiside. I dont need to list examplez.
I agree with you, JO. My statement wasn't intended to be an extremist position that fails to allow for individual circumstances, and I've mentioned a specific exception in my post to Bobbo.

Frankly, I can think of a couple reasons why I might make such a choice. The difference is that I've discussed these reasons with my family, and they agree with the rationality. Being in Robin Williams' situation would be one such reason. After 20 years of chronic pain and disability, I value my intellectual pursuits as crucial to my quality of life, since I lack the ability to pursue physical pastimes. My family understands what a nightmare that would be, since they consider intellectual pursuits just as crucial.

In a like manner, I can clearly see why someone in my medical situation who lacked intellectual pursuits might choose suicide; if physical pastimes were crucial to their quality of life, chronic pain and disability would leave them with nothing to enjoy. I remember all too well my own grief process on learning that the physical activities I enjoyed would be outside my abilities. No more camping, gardening, lugging around heavy band equipment from gig to gig, long drives and road trips, etc. I still miss all those things.

JO 753 wrote:Then therez the personal fortitude factor - we arent all endowed with an equal amount. Sum peepl cant endure a bad hair day. Then therez your Gawdzilla, John McCain, Tammy Duckworth, Bill Singleton.
I also agree there are individual variations in resilience and emotional strength, as well as other factors. For example, in the depths of a depressive episode, it's extremely difficult to see any way out of the hole. Some people lack supportive family, friends, and health care providers. Others can't afford the medicine they need to alleviate life-disrupting symptoms. There are always variables to be considered.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:40 pm

gorgeous wrote:sorry for your suffering Nikki.......there are good reasons to end it...Robin Williams for example...his mind was destroyed..no treatment , no cure....I've known people that have ended their life...some should get help...but when very old and very ill they should have the choice of when and how they will go...and I do believe we have multiple physical and non-physical lives...I don't believe animals or people should suffer near the end if they choose...Jackie O was one who chose to end her life.......as JFK jr. said she did it her way...
Thanks, hon. I appreciate the sentiment. And I agree with you that there are valid and rational reasons for suicide. It certainly would be a consideration for me were I in Robin Williams' shoes. Or looking forward to only a few months of increasing pain and suffering. I guess I was thinking only of the people I know, neither of whom had valid, rational reasons. Perhaps they were unable to see past their misery to find reasons to go forward.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:54 pm

gorgeous wrote:what is ghoulish is prolonging suffering with no relief....hospitals allow patients to die as do nursing homes...they refuse them food and sedate them...
Put that way, I made the decision to allow my grandfather to die. He was 93 years old and had suffered a massive stroke from which there could be no recovery, because the brain damage was severe. He was unresponsive other than instinctive reactions to movement and noise. That's not living.

The ER doc tried to insist on heroic measures, but I knew my grandfather was ready to go, and had been since my grandmother died. He would never have wanted to merely exist as an unresponsive body. And I maintain, nearly two decades later, that I made the right decision for him.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 pm

Change of subject, because it's time for an epic rant.

Are you all forced to waste time and energy making up for incompetent {!#%@} who don't do their jobs correctly? Or is it just me? In the past couple months...

• I ordered OS 10.6.8 Server Edition from Apple, intending to install it in emulation in a partition. They sent me OS 10.6.3 Personal Edition. My computer won't even mount the disk, because it's too new for that operating system. I waited over a month for the shipment, so I'll probably have to wait two months for them to correct their error.

• My neurologist's office made me an appointment on a federal holiday. I thought it was odd, but they called to confirm it. Imagine my surprise when, after a rough 40 minute commute through heinous traffic, I arrived to find the office locked and dark. (Note: This was after they'd faxed my prescription, not to the CVS/Caremark mail order pharmacy, but to some random CVS 500 miles away.)

• My (now former) primary care doc attempted to balance bill me, which is illegal since she's a preferred provider. When I informed the office of this, along with providing them with a copy of the EOB which stated I was not responsible for the difference, she sent the bill to collections. It took over a year of multiple phone calls and letters to put a stop to it, and it only ended after I threatened to contact my state's AG and prompt Blue Cross to take formal action.

• I switched my family's Verizon cell account from my deceased mother's name to mine. (I hadn't done it previously because they kept insisting on an official, original copy of her death certificate. This time, they didn't.) Verizon promptly double-billed me for the overlapping month. When I called, they promised to correct it. Which they did...by sending me a check made out to my mother. :roll: This time, they claimed they couldn't correct it via phone, that I had to go in person to a Verizon corporate store. To correct THEIR idiotic mistake.

• Comcast upgraded my cable box and the tech took the old one with him. I've now discovered they've been charging me for rental of both boxes. Now I have to drive there and fight with them. To kill two birds with one stone, I'm also going to cancel my account.

• A finance company quoted me a payoff amount more than 20% higher than my documentation shows. I said their numbers were wrong and asked for written verification. "Oh, we don't do that until after you pay it," the rep said. To which I replied, "Well, I'll just save time and report your agency to my AG for violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act." *crickets* "One moment while I consult with my director." *several minutes of being on hold* "Ok, we'll send that off to you right away." I have a feeling I'll end up reporting them anyway, since they're trying to charge me the fees set by the company from whom they bought the loan, which is also illegal.

• The DoL, despite numerous requests on my part, has failed or refused to correct inaccuracies in my OWCP file, a violation of the Federal Employees' Compensation Act. They've been making decisions based on the inaccuracies. To add insult to injury, they illegally shared my private medical records with the agency I resigned from 16 years ago, another violation of federal law.

I'm exhausted from the countless hours I've had to spend doing other people's jobs while THEY get a paycheck for {!#%@} up. I would dearly love to strap each and every one of them to a Tomahawk missile and launch them off my planet.
:flushed: :flame: :dwarf:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby gorgeous » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:48 pm

yes, medical errors are horrid...I've known elderly with the same types of screw ups.....and .many years after my mom died we wanted to sell their house....in spite of a death certificate and birth certificate we had to have several people sign affidavits that they actually knew her to prove she had actually lived....what's the point of birth and death certificates is that is needed?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30685
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gord » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:Change of subject, because it's time for an epic rant.

Are you all forced to waste time and energy making up for incompetent {!#%@} who don't do their jobs correctly? Or is it just me?...

While I was out of town, I tried to log in to my email account. Hotmail registered something unusual about this (since I don't live in the city from which I was trying to log in), so it wouldn't let me do it. Instead, it sent a code to another email address and asked me to log in there first, retrieve the code, then return to the first email address and input that code.

Of course, the same thing happened with the second email address. I had to log into a third one to get that code.

The third email address did the same thing, and sent the code to the first email address.

To get past all of this, Hotmail told me to answer my security question, which I did, and then they would send a verification code to yet another email address. I made up an entirely new one just to get that code.

The new email address flagged itself when I tried to log into it the second time. I DON'T KNOW WHY.

So I made a second new email address and tried again. This time, the second email address had already been deleted by Hotmail when I tried to access it the second time to retrieve the passcode it had sent for my original email account.

Eventually I managed to make a new email account at GMX, which is a German email service. So I now have three new email addresses in order to access my previously existing email addresses, although one of those new ones has been flagged and I can't get into it and a second one has been deleted by Hotmail because I DON'T KNOW WHY.

All in all, that took me 10 days.

(That's the short version of the story. I actually made four new email addresses, and originally I had five email addresses I had to try to recover, but two of those were made the last time this happened and only existed so I could get the passcodes for the first three. In fact, I only ever wanted to have four email addresses: My primary one that I could give to people I trusted [no spammers!], the secondary one I could give to people I didn't trust [spam allowed], the third one I could give to people I knew would send me spam [like businesses], and the fourth one I could use for jokes [which I abandoned years ago]. That means three is the number that currently satisfies all my desires. In other words, six of them are wastes of brain activity.)

Oh, and all of these email services want to know my phone number so they can send me text messages. I do not have a phone, nor do I have access to a phone that can receive texts. I suppose I could get them sent to my friend, but he lives 1500 km away and I would need to email him to get the responses.

picard.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
gorgeous
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4610
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:25 pm

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby gorgeous » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:00 pm

hilarious....it's men's fault you know...they created the system and computers...everything needs to be more and more complicated.....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8763
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby TJrandom » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 pm

Gord wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Change of subject, because it's time for an epic rant.

Are you all forced to waste time and energy making up for incompetent {!#%@} who don't do their jobs correctly? Or is it just me?...

While I was out of town, I tried to log in to my email account. Hotmail registered something unusual about this (since I don't live in the city from which I was trying to log in), so it wouldn't let me do it. Instead, it sent a code to another email address and asked me to log in there first, retrieve the code, then return to the first email address and input that code.

Of course, the same thing happened with the second email address. I had to log into a third one to get that code.

The third email address did the same thing, and sent the code to the first email address.

To get past all of this, Hotmail told me to answer my security question, which I did, and then they would send a verification code to yet another email address. I made up an entirely new one just to get that code.

The new email address flagged itself when I tried to log into it the second time. I DON'T KNOW WHY.

So I made a second new email address and tried again. This time, the second email address had already been deleted by Hotmail when I tried to access it the second time to retrieve the passcode it had sent for my original email account.

Eventually I managed to make a new email account at GMX, which is a German email service. So I now have three new email addresses in order to access my previously existing email addresses, although one of those new ones has been flagged and I can't get into it and a second one has been deleted by Hotmail because I DON'T KNOW WHY.

All in all, that took me 10 days.

(That's the short version of the story. I actually made four new email addresses, and originally I had five email addresses I had to try to recover, but two of those were made the last time this happened and only existed so I could get the passcodes for the first three. In fact, I only ever wanted to have four email addresses: My primary one that I could give to people I trusted [no spammers!], the secondary one I could give to people I didn't trust [spam allowed], the third one I could give to people I knew would send me spam [like businesses], and the fourth one I could use for jokes [which I abandoned years ago]. That means three is the number that currently satisfies all my desires. In other words, six of them are wastes of brain activity.)

Oh, and all of these email services want to know my phone number so they can send me text messages. I do not have a phone, nor do I have access to a phone that can receive texts. I suppose I could get them sent to my friend, but he lives 1500 km away and I would need to email him to get the responses.

picard.gif


Well, I can beat that... while you were away, I tried to make sense of gorgeous and Bobbo posts, and you know how that goes. I know... I know... I shouldn`t even try. :roll:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13147
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:39 pm

Wut? No...hospitals don't starve anyone....but its easy to think they do if you think eating and drinking is food on a plate and a glass of water. Thats why I said nuitrition and hydration that can be given interveniously....even in NPO cases (Nothing Per Oral) as in throat and stomach cancers and such. They aren't being "fed"..... they are being "dripped." Still: no starvation or dying of thirst.

Nikki: I can't tell where you agree or disagree on the right to die issues. I see where you seem to take one position but then elsewhere speak against the same position. A good bit or irrelevant argumentation as well.......and then contradicted.

As to incompetent people trying to cheat you: yes....thats capitalism with "leadership" on a production incentive plan. I always take comfort in the notion that "I don't have their job." That....and what else do you expect from someone who has to take such jobs???? iow: front line people are hired and given scripts/protocols to screw you over. Pick your battles....or you will be busy 24/7.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30685
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gord » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:49 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Gord wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:Change of subject, because it's time for an epic rant.

Are you all forced to waste time and energy making up for incompetent {!#%@} who don't do their jobs correctly? Or is it just me?...

While I was out of town, I tried to log in to my email account. Hotmail registered something unusual about this (since I don't live in the city from which I was trying to log in), so it wouldn't let me do it. Instead, it sent a code to another email address and asked me to log in there first, retrieve the code, then return to the first email address and input that code.

Of course, the same thing happened with the second email address. I had to log into a third one to get that code.

The third email address did the same thing, and sent the code to the first email address.

To get past all of this, Hotmail told me to answer my security question, which I did, and then they would send a verification code to yet another email address. I made up an entirely new one just to get that code.

The new email address flagged itself when I tried to log into it the second time. I DON'T KNOW WHY.

So I made a second new email address and tried again. This time, the second email address had already been deleted by Hotmail when I tried to access it the second time to retrieve the passcode it had sent for my original email account.

Eventually I managed to make a new email account at GMX, which is a German email service. So I now have three new email addresses in order to access my previously existing email addresses, although one of those new ones has been flagged and I can't get into it and a second one has been deleted by Hotmail because I DON'T KNOW WHY.

All in all, that took me 10 days.

(That's the short version of the story. I actually made four new email addresses, and originally I had five email addresses I had to try to recover, but two of those were made the last time this happened and only existed so I could get the passcodes for the first three. In fact, I only ever wanted to have four email addresses: My primary one that I could give to people I trusted [no spammers!], the secondary one I could give to people I didn't trust [spam allowed], the third one I could give to people I knew would send me spam [like businesses], and the fourth one I could use for jokes [which I abandoned years ago]. That means three is the number that currently satisfies all my desires. In other words, six of them are wastes of brain activity.)

Oh, and all of these email services want to know my phone number so they can send me text messages. I do not have a phone, nor do I have access to a phone that can receive texts. I suppose I could get them sent to my friend, but he lives 1500 km away and I would need to email him to get the responses.

picard.gif


Well, I can beat that... while you were away, I tried to make sense of gorgeous and Bobbo posts, and you know how that goes. I know... I know... I shouldn`t even try. :roll:

I think I can beat that: I took a 32-hour bus trip rather than a 3-hour plane trip to get to Toronto, and then, coming back, I did it again. On purpose.

NOW tell us who's crazy! :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8763
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby TJrandom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:27 am

Erm... I would, but it might be against forum rules... :mrgreen:

And anyway, that pales....

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22099
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:52 am

Fess up - it was a party bus. :glare:
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8763
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:55 am
Location: Pacific coast outside of Tokyo bay.
Contact:

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby TJrandom » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:06 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Fess up - it was a party bus. :glare:


With gorgeous on board... :oops: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30685
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:34 am

Every bus I'm on is a party bus, if by "party bus" one means "a bus where Gord spends his time enjoyably reading a book". (Because that's also what I do at parties.)
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 22099
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:58 am

The lit of the party, so to speak. :-P
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5033
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:22 pm
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Austin Harper » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:44 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:I’m sure that counts for gorgeous - you died, right?

Once in a while, including that time.

You've picked up some terrible habits.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30685
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:18 am

scrmbldggs wrote:The lit of the party, so to speak. :-P

I don't know what that means, but yes.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:05 am

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:So shouldn't one be allowed to take one's own life, since they own it?
You don't think your kids have some ownership of your life? They're alive because of choices YOU made.

They're not the the boss of ME! :neener:

We're mostly on the same page, you and I. I'd never knock myself off the branch just because I feel a bit sorry for myself. I think that's stupid. But it's not like there's any shortage of stupid, so maybe they're doing the world a small favour.

My philosophy is it's the brain's job to keep the body alive, and if the brain isn't happy about the situation, then that's what the legs are for. Get out of there! You know, do something to change the situation.

My main argument is for euthanasia in terminal cases. But if someone really wants to top themselves, what are we supposed to do? Put them in a straight jacket in a padded room, and forcibly feed them for the rest of their natural life? I mean, that sounds like one of the few reasons I'd actually consider suicide. That's worse! It's torture.

So, sure. Offer advice, therapy, medication. But at the end of the day, the only thing we ever truly own, is our own life. And that's a fundamental philosophical point you need to consider.

I hope I raise my kids with the wherewithal to switch me off when it's my time. Often you'll see families keeping alive an empty husk long after their time out of a selfish need for them to still be alive, to avoid their own pain of loss. They'll make that person suffer as long as medically possible, just to avoid their own.

It's incredibly selfish, and inhumane.

Of course, you also have to watch out for the ones who'd switch Granny off at a moment's notice to divvy-up her inheritance...
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:18 am

Gord wrote:I think I can beat that: I took a 32-hour bus trip rather than a 3-hour plane trip to get to Toronto, and then, coming back, I did it again. On purpose.

NOW tell us who's crazy! :P

A porpoise is much faster.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21034
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:49 am

Austin Harper wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
TJrandom wrote:I’m sure that counts for gorgeous - you died, right?

Once in a while, including that time.

You've picked up some terrible habits.

A bad habit would be dying and staying that way.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:41 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:A bad habit would be dying and staying that way.

Are you trying to say we should rename zombie farms to something more PC like, "Life-Inhibited Recuperation Centres"?

After all, it's just a medical condition, and should be treated as such.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21034
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:48 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:A bad habit would be dying and staying that way.

Are you trying to say we should rename zombie farms to something more PC like, "Life-Inhibited Recuperation Centres"?

After all, it's just a medical condition, and should be treated as such.

But it's a pre-existing condition. You were dead before you were born.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:55 am

Well... You were dead when you're born...
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13147
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:So shouldn't one be allowed to take one's own life, since they own it?
You don't think your kids have some ownership of your life? They're alive because of choices YOU made.

The word of import here is "ownership." The concept totally doesn't apply to human beings: not even just born and their mothers. Think more closely about what concept does apply?

eg: know certain aspects of yourself so as to be an important source of information //// I know, too many words.

eg: are an important aspect of what you do with your own life? //// See...doesn't go to ownership at all and leaves the substance open ended. too many kiddies are worthless shits even with good parenting. And if worthless is too strong...lots of kiddies don't have an interest in their parents or other people much beyond themselves or their OWN (sic) family. Life has lots of inputs and outcomes.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13147
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:04 pm

TJrandom wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:While I think G is being unfairly dumped on for supporting the concept of Death with Dignity and not having to fight to get it, or upset others who disagree, 297 and 429 doesn't even rise to the level of noise.


That is not what he is scaremongering.

Took awhile for me to recognize what was being scaremongered==>the being starved in hospitals. Silly me, I was stuck on the main point of the thread, the right to die. I pegged claimed scaremongering to THAT issue....not to the silly sidebar about hospital starvation. I do get narrow/fixated at times.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30685
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gord wrote:I think I can beat that: I took a 32-hour bus trip rather than a 3-hour plane trip to get to Toronto, and then, coming back, I did it again. On purpose.

NOW tell us who's crazy! :P

A porpoise is much faster.

And only slightly moister.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:59 pm

They're not slimy, you know.

Their skin has the smoothness and compression of a boiled egg.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30685
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gord » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:26 pm

Boiled egg: Another thing that is moist.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:00 pm

I enjoy the moisture. It keeps my scales fresh.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:49 pm

JO 753 wrote:DAM! Do you hav amalgam fillingz, or maybe a reaction to sumthing in your diet??? Alerjic to water?
Who, me? Yes to the first (and I can't afford to replace them); no to the second. Once in a while, I just get to the point where everything pisses me off, generally when I'm overwhelmed with stress. And my tolerance level goes from 60 to zero. :mrgreen:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:00 pm

gorgeous wrote:hilarious....it's men's fault you know...they created the system and computers...everything needs to be more and more complicated.....
I don't agree with blaming an entire gender for the problems caused by a few. That having been said, Tim Cook will be taking the first Tomahawk ride.

I bought extra cloud storage, then set up family sharing so that my daughter and I could coordinate our appointments with my dad's. I think it took me several hours to upload my files and send notifications to my daughter and dad, solely because none of it was intuitive or user-friendly.

You can't drag-and-drop folders to the iCloud website—it'll tell you your files need to be zipped, which they don't—but you can to the iCloud icon on your computer. Why have two separate requirements for the exact same process?! And by the time I was done setting up family sharing, Apple had sent each of us FOUR separate emails, plus THREE text verifications to me (and I was already logged in with my Apple ID). :roll:

If I was able to customize my computer, the cloud storage wouldn't be necessary; I could just open the case and add a second hard drive. But Apple computers are no longer customizable; the cases are sealed and, in any case, there's no room inside. I miss my G4 tower. The case came off, not with a million screws, but with one latch. And the insides were so large, I could have moved in.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:06 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Nikki: I can't tell where you agree or disagree on the right to die issues. I see where you seem to take one position but then elsewhere speak against the same position. A good bit or irrelevant argumentation as well.......and then contradicted.
That's because my first post on the subject was in relation to people I know who have suicided. My subsequent posts were more nuanced, less extreme. I do have a strong objection to suicide in most circumstances, but I also realize there are exceptions. However, I reject the viewpoint that my life is 100% mine and that I'm free to make choices without considering anyone else.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:As to incompetent people trying to cheat you: yes....thats capitalism with "leadership" on a production incentive plan. I always take comfort in the notion that "I don't have their job." That....and what else do you expect from someone who has to take such jobs???? iow: front line people are hired and given scripts/protocols to screw you over. Pick your battles....or you will be busy 24/7.
Therein lies the problem: I didn't pick any of those battles, but I still have to fight them. I can't afford to have multiple corporations cheat me out of thousands of dollars. Plus, I'm right and they're wrong. :beee:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13147
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote: However, I reject the viewpoint that my life is 100% mine and that I'm free to make choices without considering anyone else.

I bet with some extended questioning that that is not true. You are conflating the concept/realities of ownership with the FREEEEEEEEEDOM to think about/consider ANYTHING else you choose to do. The two notions are completely independent. Hmmmm....or is it? Seems to me its BECAUSE you 100% own yourself that you are FREE to decide who's other opinions are relevant to you.

Its definitional....but by and large ownership is a property notion that has been disfavored when applying to people....hence illegal when exposed. Why would you make yourself illegal?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:26 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:So shouldn't one be allowed to take one's own life, since they own it?
You don't think your kids have some ownership of your life? They're alive because of choices YOU made.

The word of import here is "ownership." The concept totally doesn't apply to human beings: not even just born and their mothers. Think more closely about what concept does apply?
Well, not ownership in the sense of "my shovel" or even "my dog," but a recognition of your responsibilities to those you love. Personally, I could never hurt my family that way, especially my father, who lost a child to cancer and his wife to suicide. And my daughter, who would be devastated, be left to deal with an enormous list of tasks, AND lose the large life insurance policy payout, which ensures she'll be able to pay off the house and still have a considerable nest egg.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:eg: are an important aspect of what you do with your own life? //// See...doesn't go to ownership at all and leaves the substance open ended. too many kiddies are worthless shits even with good parenting.
I don't know that I agree with this. Generally, I favor nurture over nature, because most antisocial behavior is learned. (Bigotry is a good example of this.) Obviously, I would except genetic diseases that affect behavior, although thoughtful parenting can help there too. (Being aware, getting appropriate treatment, etc.)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:And if worthless is too strong...lots of kiddies don't have an interest in their parents or other people much beyond themselves or their OWN (sic) family. Life has lots of inputs and outcomes.
Perhaps they weren't encouraged to be empathetic.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:42 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote: However, I reject the viewpoint that my life is 100% mine and that I'm free to make choices without considering anyone else.
I bet with some extended questioning that that is not true.
Have at it. I'm pretty careful to make choices that don't harm my family and close friends (or random strangers) AND to go out of my way to improve their well-being. It stems both from thinking through the potential consequences of my actions and from general empathy.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:You are conflating the concept/realities of ownership with the FREEEEEEEEEDOM to think about/consider ANYTHING else you choose to do. The two notions are completely independent. Hmmmm....or is it? Seems to me its BECAUSE you 100% own yourself that you are FREE to decide who's other opinions are relevant to you.
I agree that ownership is a poor choice of word because it implies some lack of autonomy. A better way to express it would be that if you choose to form relationships, you are taking some responsibility for the well-being of those people. Sure, you're free to decide that you don't give a {!#%@} about the well-being of those you love. If you're an {!#%@}.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13147
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Nikki: ha, ha...... you a l m o s t made the argument yourself....but crashed to earth. You keep conflating issues that really have little to do with one another.

The only reason to continue the discussion would be to find the vocabulary that most accurately describes your choices?

autonomy vs ownership, some responsibility vs don't give a {!#%@}. You making YOUR choices wile other people make THEIR choices.

Stuff like that.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13147
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:26 pm

Reviewing the sidetrack....I see a switch. Nikki: you started with criticizing other people for their selfish and hurtful choice of suicide but your argument is all about your own responsibility/feelings on the matter. Really: two different issues. The same vocabulary issues apply, the but two subjects are different. YOU CAN CHOOSE what is important in your life. .... and you do allow others to do the same.

Different strokes for different folks?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Posts: 11932
Joined: Wed May 10, 2006 6:20 am
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Major Malfunction » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:58 am

She had a feeling. She had a rant about it. That's what this thread is about. She got some responses. She thought about it a bit more. She got what was bugging her of her chest, she saw a wider perspective, and feels a bit better for it.

Let's not belabour the point. There's probably already a thread for that particular topic.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 13147
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:18 am

Major Malfunction wrote: Let's not belabour the point.

What point?

Belaboring points is what this forum is all about................
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?


Return to “The Nexus”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests