What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Wild animal

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gord » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:07 am

JO 753 wrote:I'v dun that.

I assume you mean "small engine repair".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:26 am

I'v dun that also.
WUT 1 MaN RiTS, U TRILYN MA RED OVR U MILYN SeNCUREZ.
http://www.nooalf.com

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:35 am

On Saturday I paid $200 to join the "land lubbers" crew on the SV Tenacious. I climbed the rigging to the "top nest" on the foremast.

1) Although you wear a safety harness, you only connect it to the safety line when climbing around the outside of the nest. In general, at all other times, the rule is "Three points of contact to hold and one climbing limb".

2) I was scared shitless.
:D
Tenacious.jpg

"Launched in 2000, SV Tenacious is the largest wooden tall ship built in the United Kingdom in the last 100 years. It is 65 metres (213.25 feet) long, including bowsprit, and it is rigged as a (three-masted) barque with two mizzen gaffs. Its deck is 49.85 metres long, its hull is 54.02 metres long, and it has a beam of 10.6 metres at its widest point. A press release from the Belfast Maritime Festival on June 22, 2006 announced that the Tenacious was "the largest wooden ship still afloat"."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 am

I take it they kept the deck under the nest cleared of spectators? :-P

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:51 am

scrmbldggs wrote:I take it they keep the ground under the nest cleared of spectators? :-P

The permanent crew were very safety conscious and I did make the earlier stupid incorrect assumption that it would be like a Disneyland ride rather than a real working sailing ship. :D

The first half hour lecture was on how to work ropes so you didn't lose your fingers. I now realise that sailing ships are extremely dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.

I felt very satisfied with the day because there were a whole lot of things I never thought about before.

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic
Custom Title: The Hyphenator 9001

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:15 am

My lotto retirement dream is to buy a schooner and run a charter business around some islands, somewhere. I'd hire a chef, a pretty young maid, and a strapping young Greek deckhand. The wife is {!#%@} the deckhand, but I don't care, because I'm {!#%@} the maid, and I'm Captain Malfunction.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 am

My lotto retirement dream is to not have a lotto retirement dream and instead use the money I save to buy food.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:52 am

I don't buy tickets. I'm just sayin', if someone handed me a fistfull o' millions.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Dr-Pen

Postby Dr-Pen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:22 am

It's something that I haven't been able to get off of my chest for a while, and might not be appropriate time-wise here. This happened a long time ago, around the time when I came out of the closet and kind of told my family that I lost my religion, or expressed considerable doubts on it. Wasn't caused by anything traumatic, just being pointed out a few verses and stories in the old Testament which, to me at least, put it in line with the other ancient religions at that era.
My mother didn't take it too easy, but was still somewhat considerate. My father, no trouble apparently. My brother though...he was, and still is, the worse. Made allot of comparisons of my disbelief to unpleasant things (Nazis, communists, Satanists...You Know, the sort of things that triggered religious idiots would say).

Anyway, I was reading Denying History: Who Says the Holocaust Never Happened etc. You know, the last book that a holocaust denier would even read. He comes up to me and calls me out as a Nazi, saying that even I wouldn't know what had happened and all that crap.

I. S***. You. Guys. Not. This moron thinks I'm a Nazi for reading that book. Yeah, and even after trying to point out the obvious, he still insists otherwise. Even years after this incident, he still believes that. It's like thinking that anyone who reads C.S. Lewis is a Satanist, or that a fan of Martin Luther King Jr. is a member of the KKK. I swear, I felt like having a brain aneurysm right then and there.

That's what I thought until recently, we got into a heated family argument and he broke down in tears in front of our mother. He got upset over her apparent bigotry and whatnot, then turned to me and whispered, "Why aren't you helping me?"

Please understand this. He's college educated, reads a fair amount of books (Normal sort) and the like. At that point I knew he was manipulating me. I had my suspicions, but there it was. I just wished that he wasn't so obvious about it cause now it felt really insulting.

I wish I could go into further details. Pretty sure I might have left out a few things. My brother made a lot of other moronic comments to me in the past and frankly, I'm mildly glad that it's coming back to him. Just not enough in my opinion.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:12 pm

Dr-Pen wrote:I. S***. You. Guys. Not. This moron thinks I'm a Nazi for reading that book. Yeah, and even after trying to point out the obvious, he still insists otherwise. Even years after this incident, he still believes that. It's like thinking that anyone who reads C.S. Lewis is a Satanist, or that a fan of Martin Luther King Jr. is a member of the KKK. I swear, I felt like having a brain aneurysm right then and there.

You have my sympathy. I think everyone on the forum would agree that a good skeptic needs to read many books, from both sides, simply to understand what the problems are concerning false claims, that are made.

This practice is a bit easier with histories, science and physics claims. However, it can get a bit boring with the esoteric claims of non-dualists, solopsists and wishy washy books on self empowerment books and so on. .

Dr-Pen

Postby Dr-Pen » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:00 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Dr-Pen wrote:I. S***. You. Guys. Not. This moron thinks I'm a Nazi for reading that book. Yeah, and even after trying to point out the obvious, he still insists otherwise. Even years after this incident, he still believes that. It's like thinking that anyone who reads C.S. Lewis is a Satanist, or that a fan of Martin Luther King Jr. is a member of the KKK. I swear, I felt like having a brain aneurysm right then and there.

You have my sympathy. I think everyone on the forum would agree that a good skeptic needs to read many books, from both sides, simply to understand what the problems are concerning false claims, that are made.

This practice is a bit easier with histories, science and physics claims. However, it can get a bit boring with the esoteric claims of non-dualists, solopsists and wishy washy books on self empowerment books and so on. .

I agree with you on that, up to a point (for example: David Icke. Just. No.), but it's just the gross misinterpretation that my brother has.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:35 am

I've been watching too many videos of abandoned houses, mansions, resorts, hospitals, funeral homes...stop me...it's creeping me out....most have the homes full of furniture and belongings....one of the funeral homes had a few bodies in caskets still , mansion and hospital had full electricity still...why haven't many expensive furniture, art, belongings been removed?? there are also several abandoned celebrity mansions and ranches including Minelli, Burt Reynolds, Liberace.....
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:41 am

It's driving you entirely around the bend? Carry on...

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:52 am

it's addictive...some of the mansions are full of valuable art and furniture but no one claims it?....some of the houses had dinner left on the table still....did they die suddenly?...running from the law? a WWI former soldier's home was intact filled with valuable war memorabilia, old weapons, uniforms....no one emptied it?
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:05 am

gorgeous wrote:I've been watching too many videos of abandoned ....one of the funeral homes had a few bodies in caskets still ,.
Link us to the video that has an abandoned funeral home with bodies still inside caskets. :D

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:08 am

been watching the videos for 2 days...can't stop....abandoned castles and chateaus too...

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:11 am

says after the airing of this video the bodies were removed and place secured.... https://youtu.be/ZinrTkl5AKA

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:16 am

soldier with stuff maybe from Napolean's war.... https://youtu.be/IryUImWprOg

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:34 am

gorgeous wrote:says after the airing of this video the bodies were removed and place secured....

Tradecraft tip : Skeletons with the skull cut horizontally are commercially bought and not found lying around in abandoned funeral homes. Next time you have to set dress a film set rub some candle wax into the saw marks.

abandoned body.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:48 am

it's real....guy went to his old abandoned school....writing still on chalkboards, kids' work still on their desks...why was it all just left there?

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:59 am

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:59 am

gorgeous wrote:it's real....guy went to his old abandoned school....writing still on chalkboards, kids' work still on their desks...why was it all just left there?
The body wasn't "left there". A prop skeleton was carried in by the production crew. That's why the blue hood shows no decomposition stains and has the horizontal skull cut to remove the brain for sale.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:12 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:...not found lying around in abandoned funeral homes...

...dunno, seems possible...

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:35 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
gorgeous wrote:says after the airing of this video the bodies were removed and place secured....

Tradecraft tip : Skeletons with the skull cut horizontally are commercially bought and not found lying around in abandoned funeral homes. Next time you have to set dress a film set rub some candle wax into the saw marks.

abandoned body.JPG

That certainly does look fake. However, it appears the skull is fake but the other bones may be real:

http://wiat.com/2015/01/15/bloggers-fin ... ial-mound/

Evans and his friends published a video in hopes that something would be done about the abandoned building.

http://wiat.com/2015/02/02/coroner-iden ... ial-mound/

Coroner identifies remains removed from abandoned Memorial Mound

BESSEMER, Ala. (WIAT) — The Jefferson County Coroner has identified all of the bodies taken in mid-January from an abandoned mausoleum in Bessemer.

The remains of Clare Anderson, Littie M. Lewis, Paul Norris, Veronica Lewis, Willey Miller, Estella Poston, Eddie Mae Roberson and Jamieral Treshaun Zeigler were all removed from Memorial Mound on Jan. 17 [2015].

Real event, although parts of the youtube video gorgeous linked to are faked.

gorgeous, I suggest watching such videos at double speed. They're much more entertaining that way.

P.S. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WIAT

WIAT, virtual channel 42 (UHF digital channel 30), is a CBS-affiliated television station located in Birmingham, Alabama, United States.
#ANDAMOVIE

gorgeous
Persistent Poster

Postby gorgeous » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:05 pm

beautiful in great condition....why empty? https://youtu.be/vCQNVBRlJ3U

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:39 am

Gord wrote: That certainly does look fake. However, it appears the skull is fake but the other bones may be real:
Thank you Gord for correcting me with better researched information. I understand your points. :D

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:41 pm

We are having a late, freak – heavy snowstorm, whitening the tops of trees and bushes. I know it is unseasonable because I have been preparing to plant spring and summer crops – plus just yesterday I was out and about in a t-shirt. :roll:

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:52 am

My father was out in his short pants shovelling snow a few days ago.
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:10 am

Elder abuse....

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 am

Ugg...

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:31 am

TJrandom wrote:We are having a late, freak – heavy snowstorm, whitening the tops of trees and bushes. I know it is unseasonable because I have been preparing to plant spring and summer crops – plus just yesterday I was out and about in a t-shirt. :roll:

Take heart!

(Just don't grind it. :-P)

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:37 am

Our recent `blizzard` started off as a high wind rainstorm, went massive snowflake, and wrapped up as more rain. Following all of that, my wife and I took an evening walk. She noticed two, and commented, and then I found another – not having seen the first two. A glob of whitish gelatinous (to the touch) substance on the pavement, maybe 16 cubic centimetres in volume, and about 3 centimetres high. Not snow, not sticky, almost like Jello. There were rice fields all around, but still too early for it to have been a mass of frog eggs. 70 kilometres or so from the Tokyo airport and under the general flightpath, but not blue, nor `splattered`. Plus the ocean is about 4km away, and was churning violently.

I have googled this `goo, glob, blob, whitish, gelatinous mass`, to no avail, but suspect it came from the sky – maybe from kelp laver, having been concentrated in the atmosphere by the storm, and dropped in my path. Anyone encounter something similar or have further ideas?

I should add... Along a roadway, so not completely inconceivable that someone threw something from a car window...

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:28 pm

#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:31 pm

TJrandom wrote:Our recent `blizzard` started off as a high wind rainstorm, went massive snowflake, and wrapped up as more rain. Following all of that, my wife and I took an evening walk. She noticed two, and commented, and then I found another – not having seen the first two. A glob of whitish gelatinous (to the touch) substance on the pavement, maybe 16 cubic centimetres in volume, and about 3 centimetres high. Not snow, not sticky, almost like Jello. There were rice fields all around, but still too early for it to have been a mass of frog eggs. 70 kilometres or so from the Tokyo airport and under the general flightpath, but not blue, nor `splattered`. Plus the ocean is about 4km away, and was churning violently.

I have googled this `goo, glob, blob, whitish, gelatinous mass`, to no avail, but suspect it came from the sky – maybe from kelp laver, having been concentrated in the atmosphere by the storm, and dropped in my path. Anyone encounter something similar or have further ideas?

I should add... Along a roadway, so not completely inconceivable that someone threw something from a car window...

There's a thread for that. It might not give you an answer, tho. :-P

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Thanks - that thread did give me some ideas - particularly that it might have been there already, and just swelled up with the rain. I didn`t have anything to pick it up with and didn`t want to just carry it in my hands for the next 30 minutes. Maybe I will if I ever encounter it again. Another thought is that it might have been a dog`s breakfast - fatty vomit residue, washed clean by the rain, since people do walk their dogs along that road. Or even something dropped by birds…

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:42 pm

Mushi? Or some weird biology/ chemistry?

Seriously, who goes for an hour stroll after a blizzard without a test tube?

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:30 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Mushi? Or some weird biology/ chemistry?

Yup - you got me there. Shows just how unprepared for the real world I am. Sooo, I`d better kit out for walks with test tubes, latex gloves, disinfectant, a first aid kit, a camera, shovel, sleeping bag, rations for at least a week, fire starting kit, intergalactic interpretation dictionary, night vision glasses, seeds for my favourite vegetables, etc., etc. ... Never knowing what I`ll encounter – from this world or the next…. :lol:

TJrandom
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:31 pm

And on a different note.... I hate it when targeted advertisement goes wrong… I have been receiving Rayban sunglasses emails from several sources, even though I have never looked at them online, nor would I since I don`t like them. I suspect my email address is on a list that has been sold numerous times.

Major Malfunction
True Skeptic

Postby Major Malfunction » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:52 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:Mushi? Or some weird biology/ chemistry?

Yup - you got me there. Shows just how unprepared for the real world I am. Sooo, I`d better kit out for walks with test tubes, latex gloves, disinfectant, a first aid kit, a camera, shovel, sleeping bag, rations for at least a week, fire starting kit, intergalactic interpretation dictionary, night vision glasses, seeds for my favourite vegetables, etc., etc. ... Never knowing what I`ll encounter – from this world or the next…. :lol:

And a towel.

Frightfully useful things.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:45 pm

In the form to activate my new 'smartfone' I filled in the serial # off the box az instructed then agen to verify it and, uv course, it didnt work. Tried agen 3 more timez till I thot to count the dijits. Therez suppozed to be 11, 13, 15 or 18. Mine haz 17.

So I pop the back cover off and take the battery out. Therez 2 more long numberz, neither called a serial number. So I type in the wun called MCCEID or sumthing like that kuz it haz 18 dijits. That worked.

Then the fone woudnt turn on by tapping or holding the button on the front. I look thru the online instructionz (no instructionz in the packaj) and therez nothiong about turning on the fone. So I call tek support and it takes about 5 minits uv back & forth befor the guy realizez I'm hitting the rong button. Its the little button on the ej for off/on!

And really, this iz not grinding my girz. I'v gotten jaded to computer & fone stuff being infuzed with zombie level stoopidity. I wuz going to post this in a topic about stoopid that I'm sure iz here sumwhere, but I coudnt find it. I think therez also a stoopidfone topic buried in here sumwhere.
WUT 1 MaN RiTS, U TRILYN MA RED OVR U MILYN SeNCUREZ.
http://www.nooalf.com

Return to “The Nexus”