What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Make sure both have fully-charged back-up power packs for their phones.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:54 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Nikki: Take any android phone and you can do EVERYTHING with it that you name. Its a phone.
Yes, of course.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:With skype...you can make calls all over the world for a few cents a minute. All you need is a wifi (hotspot) connection. I haven't found any place in town I can't use voip. Haven't gone camping with it yet. Incoming calls no issue if you pay a little bit more for a standard phone number to connect to.
Do you mean using Skype as your wireless service? If so, I didn't know that was possible. I thought it was just a video call app. (My iPhone has Facetime, which is such an app.)
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Listen to me now...........remember as you will later. OH..........you can make standard 911 phone calls with a no contract phone as well. Its the Law.
My goodness...a sensible law? Those are few and far between. :P
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:22 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:You can buy WiFi boosters that plug into the house wiring. I use one for the most distant room from the modem.

https://smile.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi- ... o+the+wall

Of course you'll want to shop locally.

Thanks, I will check with my local electronics store first. By moving my WiFi modem a bit, it seems that I now have slightly improved speed and coverage. An extender, if legal and available here would be excellent since it would not require construction.

No rebar... just a standard wooden structure, Japan construction style (close to 3 feet between ceiling and upper floor to contain the beams).

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:40 am

I had one of those drop on me once, yeah, no rebar.

The extenders are nothing kinky, they just use household wiring as part of the cable. The wifi signal goes on an different frequency than electricity, so they don't scramble. You might remember the old Data-Over-Voice modems?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:50 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I had one of those drop on me once, yeah, no rebar.

The extenders are nothing kinky, they just use household wiring as part of the cable. The wifi signal goes on an different frequency than electricity, so they don't scramble. You might remember the old Data-Over-Voice modems?

Do they actually use the electrical wiring as part of the communications scheme - or does it just use the power outlet for power and take in a weak WiFi signal and boost it as output? Is there anything that needs to be done at (or to) the original WiFi modem? Or is it simple plug and play?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:36 am

Here are some wikihow tips. I had heard of the aluminum foil thing and thought it might be a hoax - seems people actually use it. There are also video clips about that.
Hi, Io the lurker.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
With skype...you can make calls all over the world for a few cents a minute. All you need is a wifi (hotspot) connection. I haven't found any place in town I can't use voip. Haven't gone camping with it yet. Incoming calls no issue if you pay a little bit more for a standard phone number to connect to.

Do you mean using Skype as your wireless service? If so, I didn't know that was possible. I thought it was just a video call app. (My iPhone has Facetime, which is such an app.)

I may have overstated the functionality of a no contract phone using only wifi. I was just noting that I can do everything I want to do without a contract. Certainly, wifi can locate where you are, I assume not by gps but some other technique that wouldn't work in the woods as fewer wifi hot spots out there? Skype does not serve as a wireless service as I think you mean. Skype needs a wifi signal to work.....wifi signals are more commonplace everyday and they can "do" more every day. I'm kinda surprised there is not a more organized "industry/monopoly wide" established business effort to outlaw the internet.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:02 am

Oh! Ok, that's what I thought.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:11 am

My WiFi problem may be solved - having installed (I think...) a booster. The booster doesn`t light up so I`m not sure it is actually working - but in my deepest connectivity `hole`, I am now getting good connectivity - so either the booster is working, or someone is playing tricks on me. We`ll see how it goes for a couple of days. ;)

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:37 am

The boosters work by having larger antennas, either external or internal coil. They're usually just dumb repeaters. They just need power.

A no contract phone can still do GPS, as it's got nothing to do with the mobile carrier signal, or data, it's a satellite signal. And even without GPS, your rough location can be "triangulated" in urban areas using nearby wireless signals. Google drives around and maps everyone's wifi MAC address. Every single device has an individual address, so if you're standing near a certain bunch of wifi devices, they know where you are within 10-20 metres.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:45 am

Bummer - I went from excellent connectivity to zilch... I do believe a demon is playing with me. I`ll work on the booster again tomorrow.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 am

What brand/model is it? Are you using a laptop or desktop?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 am

TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I had one of those drop on me once, yeah, no rebar.

Do they actually use the electrical wiring as part of the communications scheme - or does it just use the power outlet for power and take in a weak WiFi signal and boost it as output? Is there anything that needs to be done at (or to) the original WiFi modem? Or is it simple plug and play?

Yep, the wiring is the key to get around distance and blockage issues. You need at least two units, one that will be connected to the modem via a LAN cable and plugged into the wall and the other where you need connectivity. It's wired wireless. 8-)

After the first two units you can add as many repeaters as you want, one in each room if needed. We have one on the patio, in a weather-resistant housing, and one in the garage, for when I'm working on stuff in there. Then there's the one in the living room for the smart TV. They were all transparent, no additional passwords, voodoo programming, etc.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:13 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Yep, the wiring is the key to get around distance and blockage issues. You need at least two units, one that will be connected to the modem via a LAN cable and plugged into the wall and the other where you need connectivity. It's wired wireless. 8-)

After the first two units you can add as many repeaters as you want, one in each room if needed. We have one on the patio, in a weather-resistant housing, and one in the garage, for when I'm working on stuff in there. Then there's the one in the living room for the smart TV. They were all transparent, no additional passwords, voodoo programming, etc.

No, that's not so. They just use larger antennas than typically found in "built-in" applications. When it comes to wifi, size matters.

I think what you're talking about is a 'bridge'. You don't need that for most household applications. You just need a dumb plug-in repeater or two, for most. Dumb repeaters will repeat each other's signals, so you can theoretically chain them to a great distance. But each one adds to lag, losses, and interference. So there's the potential for Freddie's Feedback if you use too many, or put them too close.

I had a shitty signal where my machine sits, about 10m from the modem. So I forked-out 10 bucks on a USB wifi adapter with an antenna from ebay. Delivered. And that solved the problem. 100% signal always.

That's why I asked if TJ was using a laptop or desktop. If he's using a laptop, USB ports are limited, and he might not appreciate the aesthetics of an antenna poking out the side of his laptop. If it's a desktop with plenty of ports to spare, who cares what it looks like behind the box?

That's the cheapest, least fuss solution.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:56 pm

:hmm: And here I thought that was the solar oven of the Covenant from your kitchen drawer. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:26 am

You can make an effective yagi antenna from a Pringles tube.

One of the guys I worked with nicked some of the stuff we were supposed to throw out, and he setup a yagi system aimed at his neighbour's house to swamp their wifi. He'd switch it on whenever they annoyed him.

I was like, "Dude! That's illegal!" He was like, "Meh. They'll never know."

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:58 am

Major Malfunction wrote:You can make an effective yagi antenna from a Pringles tube.

What can I make from a waffle iron?
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:59 am

Salami and cheese.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:02 am

:( That'll stink it up.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:54 am

Tuna and garlic.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:55 am

:drool:
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:24 am

scrmbldggs wrote:What can I make from a waffle iron?
A second hand waffle iron. :D

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:25 am

Pretty useless. What are you going to do with the minute hand and the hour hand?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:11 am

scrmbldggs wrote:What can I make from a waffle iron?

Waffles.

I keep meaning to try it for different things..... like hash, and/or potatoes and the like. Cooking websites are touting this technique for crispier side dishes. I like crispy.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Bummer. I have the booster properly configured and working – except it really isn`t. I have upload of approx. 30Mbps on the base WiFi and if I move my PC just one meter I am switched to the booster but get less than 1Mbps – even though the booster is in the same room – the same upload speed in that spot as if the booster were not present. I`LL try playing with the booster antennas to see if repositioning them helps.

I am on a laptop so will ask at the electronics store if they have any device (antenna) that plugs into the PC - hadn`t thought of that.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:33 pm

And take off your... whatchamacallit. :oldman:
Hi, Io the lurker.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:52 pm

Wish it were that easy. :lol:

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:02 am

That got me thinking.... And I just realized that my deadest of dead spots – is just inside of where our external power feed comes into the house – using one of those WiFi connected smart meters. This spot is where my reclining massage chair sits which is my nest as I recover. I normally would not use the laptop in his chair – so as I slowly recover and get back to my normal set of PC use nests, maybe my problem will be solved.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:56 am

TJrandom wrote:my reclining massage chair

Ooh, swank!
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:46 am

Let's get the remote control for dat. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:44 am

Half way between seeing without my glasses and seeing with them.

I'm patient.

No, I'm not.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:01 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Half way between seeing without my glasses and seeing with them.

I'm patient.

No, I'm not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjYw2BaI6hs
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:59 pm

I'm never bored in a line. I'll be too annoyed, with all the other clowns.
Hi, Io the lurker.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:08 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:I'm never bored in a line. I'll be too annoyed, with all the other clowns.

I was at a bank on a Navy base one time, waiting to cash a check. There was a considerable line behind me. As I got up to "next teller" position a guy comes over and stands next to me.

"What are you doing?"

"Starting another line."

"And that line will go when this is through."

"No, we'll alternate."

"That okay with all you guys?"

About thirty sailors cleared things up for him. Never did figure out why he thought that would work, but it was amusing to see him run off. :twisted:

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:07 pm

:lol:

He must have been some sort of zippy driver...
Hi, Io the lurker.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:10 am

I've seen the perfect solution to queues in some Asian country. They just leave their thongs in line, and go and sit down.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:20 am

TJrandom wrote:That got me thinking.... And I just realized that my deadest of dead spots –

You could also try rotating your modem to some degree. The field doesn't come out in an even circle. It tends to form lobes in one direction or another.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:57 am

My turn for the hospital today. Wish me luck.

The 'good' kind, not the 'thats weird/that never happened befor' type that I seem to hav in warehouse quantityz.

TJ, herez a few storyz about American hospitalz that explainz why I avoid them like The Plague: Micheal Swango and Traysylol
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:31 am

The fastest I've ever been through ER is the time I had some serious food poisoning. I staggered to the desk with my own bucket, handed over my card, laid down on the floor, and spewed for 15 minutes. That seemed to get their attention. It looks untidy.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:51 am

Major Malfunction wrote:The fastest I've ever been through ER is the time I had some serious food poisoning. I staggered to the desk with my own bucket, handed over my card, laid down on the floor, and spewed for 15 minutes. That seemed to get their attention. It looks untidy.

Just tell them your chest hurts.

Return to “The Nexus”