What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Introduce yourselves here, get to know everyone else. Kick back and relax.
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: What's Grinding Your Gears Today?

Postby Major Malfunction » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:51 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Arguing about.........almost anything........ is mostly about "power". This really crystallized for me watching Dr Phil one day: "Do you want to be right or happy?" So.....if your bunny wants the toilet seat down, pretty stupid not to do it. Ha, ha....I wonder, the poetic justice of leaving the seat down and peeing all over it? "You wanted it down. I'm just matching stupid with stupid."

................now, if you want to be happy.................................

It's all about ego, and that's why I {!#%@} right off as soon as anyone even mentions it.

It's an easy red-flag that you're poking your dick in crazy.

Try not to, for the sake of Humanity.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:10 am

Well.......what strikes me about the subject is: "There is no right and wrong about it." Getting us, or me, back to Dr Phils insight. One should always save one's ammo, energy, concern, attention, notice, dick for the more important. CONTRA: I hear you about the red flag. I HATE RED FLAGS. .............. Ha, ha: another life experience: I have NEVER noticed a red flag that didn't maintain its relevancy. Hoped the person would change, grow, relax....never did.

And that does get me to rule no2: change the world, or change yourself. THATS why I hate Red Flags.

.................choices, always choices.

(((It has hit me for the first time: its not an issue of "a" red flag showing up...........its really a question of "How Many."===yes, I feel better now. Have to be a real dick not to allow for a few red flags.))))
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:40 am

New topic: what is the deal with airline food?
Discuss.
{!#%@} trump!

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:11 pm

For the record, I keep the lid down and will jump on a plane just for a snack kuz that food iz so good.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:06 pm

JO 753 wrote:For the record, I . . . will jump on a plane just for a snack kuz that food iz so good.

Reminds me of the $100 Hamburger. I've had more than one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/$100_hamburger

https://www.amazon.com/100-Hamburger-Pilots-Guide/dp/0692488413/

In fact, back in the 1980s, there was a McDonald's a bit west of Aurora, IL that let us land our planes in the vacant field next to them. I don't imagine it's vacant now.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:{!#%@} cooking and dishes.
You're doing it wrong. :P

So you're anti-bachelor? One of those people who believe the whole you can only be happy as a reproductive couple nuclear family propaganda BS, huh?

I like Disney movies, but they're fiction. And I love being single. I'm not looking for my "other half" because I'm a whole person. That whole "You complete me" garbage isn't romantic to me; it's repulsive. What, like you were incomplete on your own? Only partially assembled? :roll:

Still, you should take extreme caution when {!#%@} your dishes. There are places where you really don't want broken glass. ;)
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:10 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:I thought the toilet seat position was ONLY a set up for comedians? In real life....can it possibly be an issue?????? Its never come up in my life or that of my friends as they might report.

I think its actually a kind of pernicious misogyny: women are too stupid to look before they use, so help the dumb bunnies out. Ha, ha......then this stupidity is taken up as a woman's rights issue. Do we now also have to park the car always face in or out so the dears don't get confused trying to go to the store?
Right? It's silly. I mean, wouldn't you look before sitting anyway in case the lid was down? This isn't remotely a women's rights issue, because you can't demand equality out of one side of your mouth, and demand special treatment out the other. Sheesh.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote:
Aztexan wrote:My wife keeps leaving the goddamn toilet seat down.
Bloody entitled female privilege, is what.

The most pertinent and common arguments I've heard for seat down are, "In the middle of the night when a girl needs to pee, she doesn't want to sit on the cold porcelain rim."

My answer is, "Well, she should learn how to use a toilet, and look before she sits."

I mean, it's not like fusion technology. The seat can be up, or down. If you can't figure that out, then you should surrender your iPhone.

"But only females live here!" Then you can distribute the load of {!#%@} across the population.

I've actually dumped two chicks because of this "argument".

I left the lid down, and made the dunny roll roll from the front.
How about a logical argument? Men and women use toilets both to pee and poo. Out of the four activities, three require the seat to be down. Therefore, your urinary requirements are in the minority. :mrgreen: (Seriously, though, who doesn't look before they sit on a toilet?)

In my house, we use the "we have dogs" argument and request that guests put both seat and lid down so the toilet doesn't get mistaken for a magically-refilling water bowl. :roll:

To be honest - guys should sit to pee too - the overspray and splash fill the air and soils the surrounding area.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:48 pm

I'll be blind in the right eye for at least another two weeks.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:37 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I'll be blind in the right eye for at least another two weeks.

You should masturbate with your left hand more often.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:15 am

Major Malfunction wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I'll be blind in the right eye for at least another two weeks.

You should masturbate with your left hand more often.

I need both hands.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:21 am

But you don't need eyes, so you'll be right, mate.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:25 am

TJrandom wrote:To be honest - guys should sit to pee too - the overspray and splash fill the air and soils the surrounding area.

No. There are Man Rules about that. You should only piss sitting down if you're too tired/sick/drunk to stand up. And then, only then, in your own home.

I'm sorry, TJ, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to surrender your Man Card.

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:42 am

I spent a few days staying up too late, then I spent a few days unable to sleep, and now I'm in need of a rest. I think I broke my bu-RAYnnnnn.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:39 am

TJrandom wrote:To be honest - guys should sit to pee too - the overspray and splash fill the air and soils the surrounding area.
You're probably right, but then we'd have to hear that old joke repeated ad nauseum:
Man #1: Damn! That water's cold.
Man #2: Yep. And deep.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:07 am

Major Malfunction wrote:

No. There are Man Rules about that. You should only piss sitting down if you're too tired/sick/drunk to stand up. And then, only then, in your own home.

I'm sorry, TJ, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to surrender your Man Card.

In my home, I can pee any way I like - nobody is looking, and nobody is going to clean up after me. Quite unlike the public toilets where the urinals are spotlessly clean; the floor dry, the air fragrant... oops, maybe that was only right after it was cleaned. The rest of the time I don`t want to stand in it, and certainly don`t want my home to suffer the same.

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:39 pm

No urinals on the new Navy aircraft carrier
http://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/07/21/no-urinals-on-the-new-navy-aircraft-carrier/

The new aircraft carrier Gerald R. Ford has all sorts of high-tech gear equipped for 21st century naval warfare. But there is one thing that male sailors will notice is no longer available: Urinals.

For the first time, every bathroom on the Ford — known throughout military circles as a head — is designed to be “gender-neutral,” meaning all of the urinals have been replaced with flush toilets and stalls, Navy officials say.

The vast majority of the 5,000-plus sailors who will deploy aboard the carrier Ford are men, as women account for only about 18 percent of sailors in the Navy.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Does that mean your depth of perception will require to be measured in a sitting position and with a different sensor? (And if so, you might want to get yourself one of these. :-P)

Lard, save me from your followers.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:22 pm

I don't chase links.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:33 pm

:hmm: How about so?

Spoiler:

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Getting more exercise while asleep than when I'm awake. Toss, turn, flip pillow, kick covers off, toss turn, pull covers back up. Ugh. :glare:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:39 am

Amanda's mother passed away on Thursday last week. She was in a respite home while we were overseas and wanted to go home, which she did on Wednesday last week, after we came back. This is the best scenario out of a list of potential bad scenarios. Her father has moved in with us until I can work out the next steps. This is all very normal and what humans go through. :D

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:15 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Amanda's mother passed away on Thursday last week. She was in a respite home while we were overseas and wanted to go home, which she did on Wednesday last week, after we came back. This is the best scenario out of a list of potential bad scenarios. Her father has moved in with us until I can work out the next steps. This is all very normal and what humans go through. :D

My condolences. The passing of the prior generation is always hard.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 am

TJrandom wrote:My condolences. The passing of the prior generation is always hard.

I support all condolences............... but ........... would just note that "emotions" follow expectations. Best mental health is to NOT expect such passings to be "hard." I miss my mother's passing.... but suffering from unresolvable pain from shingles and the debilitation from cancer.... her passing was a blessing for her. Died at home surrounded by family...as you note, the best way to go.

Five years now, I still expect to see Mom from time to time and then remember she is gone. Its not sad, not hard....... melancholy: "A feeling of thoughtful sadness.." and I would add thoughtful would include elements of sorrow but acceptance as well.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:53 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:Her father has moved in with us until I can work out the next steps. :D

Dig a hole.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:55 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:Her father has moved in with us until I can work out the next steps. :D

Dig a hole.

Then undig it.

And what's a respite home?

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:25 pm

Aw, Matthew, so nice that Amanda's dad gets to stay with you. How is she taking her mom's passing? My condolences to all of you.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Postby Major Malfunction » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:30 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:And what's a respite home?

A nursing home. Where you put old people no-one wants anymore. Also known as 'God's waiting rooms'.

Gawdzilla Sama
Has No Life

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:17 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:

A nursing home. Where you put old people no-one wants anymore. Also known as 'God's waiting rooms'.

Ah, raisin ranches.

Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:08 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:Amanda's mother passed away on Thursday last week. She was in a respite home while we were overseas and wanted to go home, which she did on Wednesday last week, after we came back. This is the best scenario out of a list of potential bad scenarios. Her father has moved in with us until I can work out the next steps. This is all very normal and what humans go through. :D

My deepest sympathies to you, Amanda, and her father. Even the best scenario, when considered emotionally, can hurt.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 am

Major Malfunction wrote:

Respite is usually for short-term care, although I'm not particularly fluent in Ozzie terms so it may mean something different where you, um, "live", I believe it's called?

Also, it's no one. :P
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:42 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote: And what's a respite home?
It's a temporary nursing home. Let's say you looked after your mother and wanted a two week holiday. In Australia the old age pension pays for most of the cost so it isn't expensive. However it's only temporary.

I'm not sure what to do with her father. He is 88 years old and not really able to look after himself. He owns a house and there are financial packages that allow you to borrow against the home to buy a spot in a retirement home. I will investigate that after sorting out the wills. I'm just waiting for the sad emotion to subside.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 am

Major Malfunction wrote: A nursing home. Where you put old people no-one wants anymore. Also known as 'God's waiting rooms'.
That's what they are. You walk past rooms, in the home, being cleaned, where a person lived the last time you visited. However, I can't see any way around it.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:51 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Major Malfunction wrote: A nursing home. Where you put old people no-one wants anymore. Also known as 'God's waiting rooms'.
That's what they are. You walk past rooms, in the home, being cleaned, where a person lived the last time you visited. However, I can't see any way around it.

Encouraging death panels, aka Death with Dignity. Lots of Pros, the cons being mostly religion based. "Alive" is really meaningless in too many such cases. Government should "encourage" if not merely allow, but at least STOP BLOCKING, such rational outcomes. Its all coming..... progress always being slow when the opponent is emotional and religious.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:54 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: ... I'm not sure what to do with her father. He is 88 years old and not really able to look after himself. He owns a house and there are financial packages that allow you to borrow against the home to buy a spot in a retirement home. I will investigate that after sorting out the wills. I'm just waiting for the sad emotion to subside. [/color]

Find him a cute nurse - and nature will take care of the rest.... :roll:

xouper
True Skeptic

Postby xouper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:59 am

TJrandom wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote: ... I'm not sure what to do with her father. He is 88 years old and not really able to look after himself. He owns a house and there are financial packages that allow you to borrow against the home to buy a spot in a retirement home. I will investigate that after sorting out the wills. I'm just waiting for the sad emotion to subside. [/color]

Find him a cute nurse - and nature will take care of the rest.... :roll:

Reminds me of an old joke:

It was the old man's birthday and his friends sent him a gorgeous prostitute dressed as a nurse. When he opened the door, the sexy nurse leaned in and whispered, "I'm here to offer you super sex." The old man thought for a minute, then replied, "Thank you. I’ll have the soup."

Pyrrho
Administrator

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:17 am

Pilot light keeps going out on my water heater. I have tried cleaning the spark arrestor screen...we'll see how it goes. If that fails, then it's 80 bucks for a burner assembly because apparently I can't buy a thermocouple or pilot light separately.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:26 am

Have you tried snaking that pilot tip?

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:28 am

Remember the good ol' days? The Flintstones would just get a new elephant with a new piece of flint.
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:14 am

Pyrrho: don't know the details but review just buying a whole new unit. They often pay for themselves fairly fast with higher efficiency ratings/thicker insulation and so forth...........and you get all new parts. I greatly enjoy the new "point of use/instant demand" heaters. VERY efficient for the single person.

$, time, interest: take the affected part apart and put it back together again. That fixes a lot of electrical things, the movement cleaning contact surfaces and so forth. Not so much with mechanical things unless you find some broken or plugged part.

Return to “The Nexus”