A brief history of populism

Where have we been?
Lausten
Persistent Poster

A brief history of populism

Postby Lausten » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:45 pm

This might be too much for this forum, but there are a couple of history buffs out there. It’s an intersection of Sam Harris and Krista Tippet (On Being talk show about religion, NPR). Krista got on someone else’s podcast and got interviewed. As an aside in the middle of it, she said something about there being a straight line from the children of the 60’s to Trump. They were talking about values at the time. I was following Harris before the election and he talked about how the lack of a moral stand by the Democrats was creating the Trump size hole that he was worried would be filled. He talked about it at length in his interview with Douglas Murray.

In my own life, I’ve seen a couple far left friends follow a path of not trusting government and not trusting science to believing they are doing false flag operations, to believing the school shootings are false flags, to believing the far right gun owners that it’s a plot by the Deep State to take away our guns. The “straight line” is people not knowing how to evaluate information outside of their expertise. They don’t know who to trust, so they trust no one. Once you’re there, any handful of random facts that seem to make sense can become your basis for what’s real.

Anybody know of any good analysis on that.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Mara
Poster

Re: A brief history of populism

Postby Mara » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:42 am

I am in Australia and in here conservatives (the right) and the 'far-right' are the religion loving, anti-abortion, anti-climate change, anti-gay, anti-migration, anti-science, some even are anti-academia and anti vaccinations etc... I also have some extended family in Eastern Europe where the communism actually existed, the left were associated with scientific method and ban on religion for example, unfortunately that did not eliminate primitivity of human behaviour represented in corruption and power abuse but it confirmed it in a way...For example, 'nationalism' from a psychological point of view can be seen as territorial behaviour just as observed in chimps...

Government policies are not rational, nor science based, they are functional and designed in a manner to minimise harm (well, hopefully). Check the book called "Policy Paradox" https://www.amazon.com/Policy-Paradox-P ... 0393976254 it's a foundational textbook in political sciences.

In conclusion: Your assumption that those who do not trust the government also do not trust the science is not necessarily correct, it depends on the government. Both, the left and right wing can be conspiracy theorists. Personally, I think it's opposite as the few intelligent people are often held back from progress because of the majority of people who are still not there, and in democratic nations where the power is by majority of votes for the most part, that means the policies are represented by the very average Jo Blow...sad but true.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Re: A brief history of populism

Postby Lausten » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Actually I didn't assume that not trusting government goes hand in hand with not trusting science, but I see where you might have got that. Since I'm drawing a line from the 60's to Trump, obviously I'm crossing political spectrums. Populism doesn't seem to care much about ideology, it's more about getting something you think you deserve and being willing to tear down structures that are in your way.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Return to “History”