Key events in science history

Where have we been?
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Re: Key events in science history

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:59 pm

Poodle wrote:
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Poodle: I said ether.........and light was totally involved as in "What is light traveling through? And light was used to investigate the issue. Certainly, light was involved.

Lance made a list of Genius Scientists and left Einstein off of it. TOTALLY relevant. Who is on and off the list actually defines what we mean by Genius. Just as Lance demonstrates by fumbling around with the subject.

No, no, no. Tsk tsk! Light was convenient. If they could have worked out a method of sending a couple of old boots round the loop, they would have got the same result.

True, but they used light, so light WAS INVOLVED. Boots tend to break mirrors though.... not sure if anything but light would work....Some other reflectable particle?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

KevinLevites
Poster

Postby KevinLevites » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:08 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Kevin

Could you be more specific about who it was in authority who opposed those who asked questions.

The Roman Catholic Church is an example.

They supposedly tortured Gallileo, and burned Giodorno Bruno alive.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:14 am

I don't like any religion but wasn't Gallileo only threatened with torture and only suffered house arrest?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:23 am

Lance Kennedy wrote: So I am looking at key events in the history of science and society.
I'm starting to think it was due to simple public literacy. Literacy was common in the late Roman Empire ( Roughly 400AD) and collapsed with the Mongol and barbarian invasions and didn't return to Roman levels in Western Europe until the Renaissance, roughly 500 years ago.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:06 am

but literacy was high in the Chinese court. Don't know about India.......Egypt. How much science can you actually do with hieroglyphics?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:41 pm

Literacy was low in the time of Newton when science was taking off. Mind you, it climbed rapidly in Europe. I would tend to see higher literacy as a result of the major social changes, rather than a cause.

As Bobbo knows, I am an optimist with respect to humanity. I see the human species as one that has great potential, and one where the potential is always trying to express itself. The ancient Greeks presided over an intellectual flowering, in spite of the fact that the number of people in the social group that were responsible were very few. Yet it all ground to a halt.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:18 pm

Beyond the surface of things: most of humanity is chaff. A few geniuses drive the entire group forward, a few mad men drive it towards destruction. 99% go with the flow. To be more one or the other is to miss the interaction.

Return to “History”