VE Day in Moscow

Where have we been?
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett

VE Day in Moscow

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 11, 2017 2:20 pm

This video sort of takes me back to the days of the old USSR, where I lived for a brief time back in 1988--89. The theme is the same: World War II was only yesterday. Well, I've got to give the Russians credit: They know how to put on a military parade. The sound begins about one minute into the video. I don't imagine anyone will need translations to know what is going on. Just watch the soldiers. "Parad, smirno!" means "Parade, attention!" It does make for a contrast with the commemorations in Britain, France, Norway, Belgium, the Netherlands, and the USA. But there is certainly justification for the greater emphasis that the Russians place on this event. They suffered more than anyone except the Poles from the war (the Poles were the victims of both Russians and Germans, as they were back in the 18th century). And it was the Red Army that paid most of the horrendous butcher bill the finally defeated the Nazis. So, I watch this with respect.

[youtube][/youtube]
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: VE Day in Moscow

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu May 11, 2017 3:01 pm

"We can't give you economic opportunity, a free press, or the rule of law, so here: have a parade."

...............Personally, I wouldn't fall for it.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri May 12, 2017 2:16 am

I did enjoy the free Red Army concerts in St Petersburg and Moscow. This band was doing the hits of ABBA.
red army.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri May 12, 2017 11:17 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:"We can't give you economic opportunity, a free press, or the rule of law, so here: have a parade."

...............Personally, I wouldn't fall for it.
Russians have a peculiar experience with this. When they got a measure of freedom of the press under Gorbachev, their economy tanked even worse than it had under Brezhnev. It was like being squeezed by a python. The coils got tighter every year from about 1962 until the total breakdown of 1991. It was due to corruption, of course. Communists always insisted that the CPSU did not form a Marxist economic class. Well, Marxist or not, they were an elite just like the heavyweights in the US Republican Party, relentlessly sealing itself off from the people in whose interest they were supposed to be governing. They got part of their salaries paid in precious western currencies and could shop at the beryozki shops. They could travel abroad, and they had luxury accommodations in spas on the Black Sea. And let's not be fooled: Those same people, or their heirs are in charge today. Russia is a kleptocracy.
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu May 18, 2017 3:47 pm

I think the Chinese suffered more than the Russians, their war went from 1937-1945, or twice as long as the Great Patriotic War.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Flash » Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
I think the Chinese suffered more than the Russians, their war went from 1937-1945, or twice as long as the Great Patriotic War.
Actually, the civil war between the Chinese Communists and the Kuomintang started in 1927 and ended in 1949 when Chiang Kai Shek run to Taiwan.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Thu May 18, 2017 11:59 pm

Flash wrote:Actually, the civil war between the Chinese Communists and the Kuomintang started in 1927 and ended in 1949 when Chiang Kai Shek run to Taiwan.
That's a fair point of view.

The Russians provided communications officers and equipment to Mao during the civil war and the Long March. It was the Russians who told Mao to stop being carried around on a litter (a flatbed sedan chair) during the Long March. Mao was not a nice person and was more like Pol Pot than Lenin, Trotsky or Stalin.