The 800-pound gorilla: does the world need it?

Where have we been?
User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4381
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: The 800-pound gorilla: does the world need it?

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon May 29, 2017 11:08 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Historian here. Yes, the world is always {!#%@} up according to some of the people who lived at that time. But it still spins on.
Thanks. Good to hear from a specialist that my guess is correct. (I do some history myself, but not general or political history.)
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945

User avatar
fromthehills
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9925
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:01 am
Location: Woostone

Re: The 800-pound gorilla: does the world need it?

Post by fromthehills » Mon May 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Historian here. Yes, the world is always {!#%@} up according to some of the people who lived at that time. But it still spins on.
Thanks. Good to hear from a specialist that my guess is correct. (I do some history myself, but not general or political history.)
I've tried to make history, but that's been rough on the body.

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4381
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: The 800-pound gorilla: does the world need it?

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon May 29, 2017 3:06 pm

fromthehills wrote:
I've tried to make history, but that's been rough on the body.
:lol:
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28959
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: The 800-pound gorilla: does the world need it?

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue May 30, 2017 1:05 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Yes, the world is always {!#%@} up according to some of the people who lived at that time. But it still spins on.
I belong to the same school of thinking as Gawdzilla. It is like King Canute sitting on the beach and unable to stop the tide coming in.

Humans are always going to get themselves into trouble and therefore good people have to always push back against this trouble. It never ends.
king-canute.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Perpetual Poster
Posts: 4381
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Grinanne Barrett
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: The 800-pound gorilla: does the world need it?

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue May 30, 2017 2:45 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Yes, the world is always {!#%@} up according to some of the people who lived at that time. But it still spins on.
I belong to the same school of thinking as Gawdzilla. It is like King Canute sitting on the beach and unable to stop the tide coming in.

Humans are always going to get themselves into trouble and therefore good people have to always push back against this trouble. It never ends.
king-canute.jpg

That makes three or four of us. By the way, King Canute's demonstration of his impotence is a good metaphor for Trump's current situation. The difference is, Canute knew he couldn't keep the tide out. Trump has courtiers to tell him his feet are always dry. And he believes them.
"We survivors did not seek death. We did not take to the streets when our Jewish friends were taken away. We didn’t raise an outcry until we ourselves were being annihilated. We preferred to remain alive, with the flimsy though accurate excuse that our death would not have helped. We are guilty of being alive."

Karl Jaspers (1883–1968), at the re-opening of Heidelberg University, 1945