Nifty Little Mystery in New Hampshire

Where have we been?
Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Nifty Little Mystery in New Hampshire

Postby Bart Stewart » Mon May 30, 2016 6:11 pm

Sometimes I will share a link here just as grist for conversation, NOT to mean that I am "going to the mat" for the validity of any claim. With that understood, take a look at this blog about an early human encampment of stone in New Hampshire. Maybe you've seen this one before.

http://www.kathleenvalentineblog.com/20 ... l-new.html

It was, unfortunately, made into a tourist attraction by an owner in the 1930s, and it is not known how much of the area might have been "modified" by this guy. It is a fairly extensive site, however. The positions of the stones fit astronomical patterns, being aligned with solstice and equinox. Naturally, some writer is claiming to have found scratches on the stones that look like Phoenician.

Are "strange lights" seen in the sky above it??? (Do I have to ask?) Fortunately, this blog says nothing about that.

The main mystery to me is in the first sentence -- "Throughout New England there are a number of sites where standing stones, stone circles, underground stone structures, and stone 'huts' can be found." I really wasn't aware of that, and I wonder how extensive it is. I wish she had given a few examples. Ancient people would build in stone, of course, for the same reasons we do, and sometimes they hauled stones over long distances. Probably there was no long haul to the Mystery Hill site. New Hampshire's nickname is The Granite State; it is one stone quarry after another. There may be more of a mystery as to why the state is not covered with sites like Mystery Hill.

So, I am wondering -- Is there evidence that any of these ancient American stone constructions could not have been the work of indigenous tribes? Barring that, is there any significant suggestion, or soft evidence, that they were made by cultures from elsewhere in the world? Bear in mind, the native Americans were no slouches. They built colossal mounds ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=indian+ ... AIMQsAQIKA

Serpent Mound in Ohio is 1,348 feet long. The Cahokia Mounds of Illinois originally sprawled over six square miles! Native Americans were not necessarily the dumb savages of old cowboy movies.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: Nifty Little Mystery in New Hampshire

Postby Gord » Mon May 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Mystery Hill? Wasn't that discussed in the last issue of Skeptic?

America’s Stonehenge

Did Highly Developed Europeans Build a Sophisticated Astronomical and Religious Monument on the American East Coast MoreThan 3000 Years Ago? by Gert Jan van ’t Land
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Mon May 30, 2016 7:40 pm

I missed that issue. Thanks for mentioning it. I'll check it out.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue May 31, 2016 3:08 am

Bart Stewart wrote:So, I am wondering -- Is there evidence that any of these ancient American stone constructions could not have been the work of indigenous tribes? Barring that, is there any significant suggestion, or soft evidence, that they were made by cultures from elsewhere in the world? Bear in mind, the native Americans were no slouches.

I wonder what possible difference it would make.......either way. I say this as there is a simple "cure" for most of this aversion to ambiguity: do a thought experiment where you take "as a given" all the possible realities. Then:...................... so what? What difference to anything of import would the different realities imply/mean? when the answer is "none"..seems to me more impactful subjects could be engaged. Not to denigrate an interest in anything that does catch one's attention...... but still.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Return to “History”