I stopped History Quiz at this one.....................

Where have we been?
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

I stopped History Quiz at this one.....................

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:43 pm

Because it didn't offer Genghis Khan, Dwight Eisenhower. Emperor Chin, Charlemagne, .... and dozens of others depending on how you want to count land, people, countries or whatever? So Euro-Centric "our" internet is.

http://offbeat.topix.com/quiz/16629/qidx1

And the question was:
Spoiler:
Who is histories most successful military commander.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Re: I stopped History Quiz at this one.....................

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:02 pm

Not the question, actually.

25. What Macedonian king later conquered and united all of Persia, Egypt and Greece to become arguably the most successful military commander ever?
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Well..... add them up..Persia, Egypt and Greece=======they left out Turkey, Pakistan, half of India.....and I don't recall Egypt on his list even though some Egyptian rulers were "Greek"...did they get installed by Rome? Just saying...seeems to be the wrong direction from Greece to the East. How is that "the most successful military commander ever?" By what measure or criteria?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

ElectricMonk
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: His Beatitude

Postby ElectricMonk » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:43 pm

Well, he did conquer his territory within something like 10 years; by some estimates, about 30% of the total world population at the time lived in his Empire, making it on par with the Roman Empire (in relative terms). He had conquered the whole known world.
Not bad for a few years work.
Too bad we went mad after that.

"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."
I've come up with a set of rules that describe our reactions to technologies:
Spoiler:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.
- Douglas Adams

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:43 am

Thanks EM...."He had conquered the whole known world." //// Except he TOTALLY did not. It rankles me some that such obvious fictions are maintained as: "History." EG--he stopped IN THE MIDDLE OF conquering India. So he KNEW about the rest of India...and did not conquer it. And while "I don't know" I find it improbable he could conquer what he did and not at least hear rumors about China. A nation larger than all that Alexander had conquered....conquered by the General(s) under Emperor Chin from which we gt the name China. EG--If he did conquer Egypt...then what about the rest of Africa which was known to the Egyptians?

Does make me try to remember just why Alex was so successful. I'm thinking it was the development of the Phalanx as a military formation?.....but that may have been the Romans. I'm thinking he had a technique for defeating the Man on Chariot attack vehicle...relevant only against the Egyptians, but maybe the Persians too but by then enough conscripted soldiers to continue on?

It would be a nice point to revisit. I actually stopped the test because it was too easy.....although I did fubar the Buddha vs Confuscious question....quite embarrassing....but mostly a function of getting bored.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:46 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:.........even though some Egyptian rulers were "Greek"...did they get installed by Rome?
Alexander named the capital after himself Alexandria. When his generals later rebelled against him, they divided up the empire and Ptolemy took Egypt. Cleopatra was his direct descendent and that's why she was already Greek-Macedonian and not Egyptian.

Kandahar in Afghanistan is simply a corrupted phonetic version of Alexandria. He named many cities after himself along his route of conquests.

One of the more interesting novels by Rudyard Kipling is The Man who would be King, where two British soldiers try to do the same as Alexander in Afghanistan and discover Alexander was still worshipped in the 19th century. The movie with Sean Connery and Michael Caine is pretty good.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:53 am

thanks Matt. I don't remember, even on Reflection (but I must have?) ever reading that Alexandria was named after the Great Man. Should be a touch point never to be forgotten? Same with Kandahar. does kinda make me wonder "how much I have forgotten." I didn't "know" 2-3 of the history quiz answers, but could reason through them to the answer. Anyone should be able to do the same with Alexandria?

I feel: ............. great!!

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:51 am

ElectricMonk wrote:
Well, he did conquer his territory within something like 10 years; by some estimates, about 30% of the total world population at the time lived in his Empire, making it on par with the Roman Empire (in relative terms). He had conquered the whole known world.
Not bad for a few years work.

Yes, not bad for the underwearless, sandal wearing, feta and olives eating guy who while carrying his sword, helmet and a pike, walked all the way from Macedonia to Babylon via India where one probably poisonous drink managed to kill him.
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:55 am

Flash wrote:one probably poisonous drink managed to kill him.
It does seem to be accepted that his generals killed him.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:11 am

Most people don't "WANT" to fight, kill, conquer... at least once they have enough for themselves to go off and enjoy. Takes a "leader" of men to get them into battle gear. Harder to stop wars these days when the Generals are safely tucked away in Virginia while the troops are in Texas fighting the enemy in Yemen.

Things aren't looking too good for the general nature of man to bridle back the unhinged vanity of its Alpha Males.

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sun May 01, 2016 4:23 am

Flash wrote:
one probably poisonous drink managed to kill him.

Matthew Ellard wrote:
It does seem to be accepted that his generals killed him.

The could had poisoned him in Babylon or do you think they did to Alexander what the Roman senators did to Caesar?
Et tu Ptolemy? ;)
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Sun May 01, 2016 4:30 am

bobbo the Pragmatist wrote:
Most people don't "WANT" to fight, kill, conquer...

I always did but never had an opportunity... :sword:

Harder to stop wars these days when the Generals are safely tucked away in Virginia while the troops are in Texas fighting the enemy in Yemen.

Yes, the problem of the long distance wars and push buttons. :sr:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun May 01, 2016 4:55 am

Flash wrote:They could had poisoned him in Babylon or do you think they did to Alexander what the Roman senators did to Caesar? Et tu Ptolemy? ;)

Alexander's army near the end of his campaigning, was not a Greek style army any more. The remaining Greek generals would have been the odd men out.

However, imagine if Alexander, who made himself a Egyptian Pharaoh, a king of Babylon and so on, decided to take the whole of Greece, while he had a enormous trained foreign army. The generals probably had to kill him. Alexander had become a monster, who wasn't really Macedonian any more.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun May 01, 2016 8:14 am

Flash wrote:bobbo the Pragmatist wrote:
Most people don't "WANT" to fight, kill, conquer...

I always did but never had an opportunity... :sword:

I have to admit in my youth I too did not look askance at killing a horde of foes ............. but ............ I had read enough to know that the enemy no matter how over powered had the same notions. (Red Badge of Courage, Johnny Got His Gun, When Johnny comes Marching Home, All's Quiet on the Western Front, Iliad Odyssey, Catch 22, even the pro war tv shows on at the time) My brain said: "Is the fun worth the risk?" and my brain said: No.

When I got into several wars in the USAF...... I only confirmed how right I was. It would be fun to blow up a train while it crossed a bridge over a deep chasm...... then I saw the return fire and knew that Snowden was correct. A reference to the greatest novel ever written: Catch 22. Its all true.

Wars. It takes old men to call for them, and young men to think it would be fun. Nothing changes except the scope of the carnage.

Return to “History”