Hungry and cheeky sperm whales

What does make the world turn?
Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Hungry and cheeky sperm whales

Post by Lance Kennedy » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:10 am

In the deep water fisheries of Alaska, where sablefish or black cod of 4 to 50 pounds weight is caught on long lines, sperm whale have learned to remove the catch from the hooks and eat them. They are sneaky and often the fishermen do not even know a whale has been through. One whale can take quarter of a fishing vessels catch.

I have a suspicion that this may be a fishery that is doomed anyway, from over fishing.

KevinLevites
Poster

Re: Hungry and cheeky sperm whales

Post by KevinLevites » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:38 am

Good for the whales. I'm all for it. As much as mankind has f----ked over cetaceans...we can be a little generous and turn a blind eye to a sperm whale that drops by for a bite.

I've always believed that many animals are smarter and understand more than we give them credit for.

I'm not saying that they have human intelligence...just that they know more than we think they do.

A security video surfaced recently of a hungry mama bear gently opening the side door of a minivan by pulling on the door latch and sliding it open just like a person. She pillaged the car, and then demonstrated opening the front door to her two cubs.

There is even another video of a bear--believe it or not--shutting a car door after opening it and searching for food. It evidentally learned this by watching people.

There is another video of Rocksey, a raccoon that arguable uses tools. It bangs on the sliding glass door with a rock until its person brings out her breakfast of kitty food. This is a wild raccoon, not one that was raised and taught tricks. It has a favorite rock that, presumably, fits its paws a certian way...and she will bang on the window for hours on end until she gets breakfast.

I'll be violently pissed off if someone shoots the sperm whale over this.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:28 pm

Shoots the sperm...
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:15 pm

KevinLevites wrote:Good for the whales. I'm all for it. As much as mankind has f----ked over cetaceans...we can be a little generous and turn a blind eye to a sperm whale that drops by for a bite.
Unfortunately, there is a difference between "mankind" and "a man". What we as a species agree should be done can also be undone simply by one individual who disagrees. In this case, any fisher who suffers individually from the actions of any specific whale can take actions against all whales and feel justified because of his or her own losses.

Basically, humans suck morally on an individual basis, even when we manage to make group moral decisions.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

KevinLevites
Poster

Post by KevinLevites » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:15 pm

Gord wrote:
KevinLevites wrote:Good for the whales. I'm all for it. As much as mankind has f----ked over cetaceans...we can be a little generous and turn a blind eye to a sperm whale that drops by for a bite.
Unfortunately, there is a difference between "mankind" and "a man". What we as a species agree should be done can also be undone simply by one individual who disagrees. In this case, any fisher who suffers individually from the actions of any specific whale can take actions against all whales and feel justified because of his or her own losses.

Basically, humans suck morally on an individual basis, even when we manage to make group moral decisions.
I don't disagree with you...however, another idea comes to mind.

Whale watching is a big business. It wouldn't seem like a stretch to figure out how this fishing business might benefit from ecotourists coming to see the sperm whales (no pun intended, of course).

It might even be better if there was a bathyscaph so that these tourists could watch the whales from underwater.

I'd certainly pay to go.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:45 am

No! There's sharks in there!
trump is Putin's bitch