Trey the Explainer on Youtube

What does make the world turn?
Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Trey the Explainer on Youtube

Postby Bart Stewart » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:53 am

Youtube has to be the world's great repository of pseudo-science and superstition. I have seen videos claiming that werewolves and mermaids are real. NOTHING is so stupid that there isn't a video proclaiming it to be factual, and suppressed by the government.

But there are some great skeptical channels, as well. We already discussed Potholer54. There's also Skeptic Magazine's channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelShermer

Here's another one: Trey the Explainer.

I think he may be a student, possibly of paleontology. He has mostly excellent paleontology videos, but he ranges far and wide, and has some where he applies the scientific method to movies and TV shows, and explains where they got it right and wrong. He has several where he does the same for claims of the supernatural, mostly crypto-zoology, but other stuff as well. His research into these old legends is impressive.

Here is an unusual one. It is pure speculation, as he acknowledges up front. It has to do with what we don't know, and can never know, about early life forms. The fossil record only covers about one percent of the life that has been on this planet, according to Trey. Even if it is more than that, it couldn't be much more, for reasons that he goes into. He concludes with an idea that is pretty mind-blowing to contemplate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UclTjsLAOc

Definitely peruse his other videos. This one was kind of an outlier, but still fascinating I thought.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: Trey the Explainer on Youtube

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:20 am

ftl:
"In this video I discuss the limitations of paleontology and science and speculate what could be missing or lost to history and time. I ask a very strange question: Could there have been civilizations or cultures made by other non-human organisms? ...sorry if it seemed like I went off the deep end with this one. XD I don't believe there were past civilizations or intelligences, it's just something I would love to be wrong about and find evidence of. All I am doing in this video is asking the question."

.......I wish there were unicorns.......and friendly leprechauns.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:14 am

What he's saying is that life has existed for many millions of years, and since humans evolved intelligence in only two hundred thousand (?) years, it is not impossible that other life could have gained intelligence, gone extinct, and vanished from this planet long before we came along. There is no evidence for it, granted. But it would not have to be an intelligent life that left any record or trace that we could ever find.

What he said was that it is a lot more feasible a scenario than extraterrestrial space aliens visiting here, and we spend an inordinate amount of time wrangling over that! His scenario is entirely naturalistic. It is merely the idea that evolution could have produced more than one highly intelligent species, separated by the vast spans of time in Earth history.

I had never considered it before. Also never thought about the immense numbers of species, and maybe genus, families, and phylum, that have come and gone that will always remain completely unknown to us. No way to speculate on what they were like, only on whether or not they could have existed. Only a tiny fraction of living things are fossilized, and discovered.

Again, his other videos deal with much more conventional ideas.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:49 am

Trey the Explainer is okay, but I find his videos a little boring so he isn't on my subscription list. He's made a couple of mistakes that irked me at the time, although I can't remember any of them off the top of my head (maybe they were just grammatical errors). I did watch his videos about the inaccuracies in 10,000 BC and enjoyed those.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 pm

Bart Stewart wrote: It is merely the idea that evolution could have produced more than one highly intelligent species, separated by the vast spans of time in Earth history.
It doesn't really make any sense. Animals are only 500 million years old and came after Earth's oxygen replaced the old atmosphere. There simply were not any complex, oxygen breathing, multi cellular life forms before then. Even today we still carry some gene sequences from the first animals.

To slot in another intelligent species in the last 500 million years, that left no legacy DNA sequences, nor its preceding evolutionary tree of related species, seem very very very unlikely.

The funny thing is oxygen is actually a really dangerous poison and corrodes almost anything it touches. It is amazing that Earth evolved oxygen breathers at all to utilise its efficiency as an energy source.

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:03 am

Gord wrote:Trey the Explainer is okay, but I find his videos a little boring so he isn't on my subscription list. He's made a couple of mistakes that irked me at the time, although I can't remember any of them off the top of my head (maybe they were just grammatical errors). I did watch his videos about the inaccuracies in 10,000 BC and enjoyed those.

He has take-downs of various crypto-zoological tales that I really liked, some with explanations I had never considered.
As one example, he states a very good case that the "Mothman" of Point Pleasant WV was, in fact, a barn owl!

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:46 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Bart Stewart wrote: It is merely the idea that evolution could have produced more than one highly intelligent species, separated by the vast spans of time in Earth history.
It doesn't really make any sense. Animals are only 500 million years old and came after Earth's oxygen replaced the old atmosphere. There simply were not any complex, oxygen breathing, multi cellular life forms before then. Even today we still carry some gene sequences from the first animals.

To slot in another intelligent species in the last 500 million years, that left no legacy DNA sequences, nor its preceding evolutionary tree of related species, seem very very very unlikely.

The funny thing is oxygen is actually a really dangerous poison and corrodes almost anything it touches. It is amazing that Earth evolved oxygen breathers at all to utilise its efficiency as an energy source.

His main point is the fact that we cannot know of but a tiny percentage of the life that has come and gone on this planet. Whole categories of bygone life will be forever unknown to us. The VAST majority of what has lived before is lost to us.

We have intelligent non-human species living now, if you consider cetaceans. It is difficult to measure animal intelligence. If dolphins had opposable thumbs, maybe we would have a better idea of their intelligence.

Anyway, it didn't take human intelligence hundreds of millions of years to emerge from the ape-like condition. Once it started happening, it blossomed in roughly a quarter million years.

His idea of intelligence emerging and dying out in the distant past is pure speculation, as he admits. To me it seems feasible, just - unknowable.

Bart Stewart
Frequent Poster

Postby Bart Stewart » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:17 am

I recently found another cool skeptic channel on Youtube. "Parabreakdown" debunks UFOs and ghosts, and for some reason a HELL of a lot of Bigfoot videos. All kinds of silliness like that, but he is often really clever in how he goes about it.

I don't know what software he's using, but he has numerous episodes where he has somehow located the source video or photograph that some faker has used to superimpose a UFO onto. Or he will find a photograph someone posted of a "monster" and then show you the book illustration it was lifted from!

And this guy has some of the shortest videos on Youtube. Many are just over a minute. Three or four minutes is about average.
He advertises other channels at the end of each video, but I haven't explored those yet. Check this out -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjlK7kjgphU

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”