“Significant loss of neurons is a normal part of ageing” and other brain cell myths

What does make the world turn?
Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

“Significant loss of neurons is a normal part of ageing” and other brain cell myths

Post by Phoenix76 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:42 am

Funny how things just seem to happen at the appropriate time. I've been having a quite long winded debate on FB regarding Scientific Proof. In response to an article from the Climate Change site, I threw in a couple of curly statements and ideas.

I introduced the idea that El Nino & La Nina can have quite dramatic effects on our weather/climate. As it turned out, I had just been reading about the possible La Nina forming in the Western Pacific which could give Australia some above average rainfall. And our southern state of Victoria has just experience a massive rain event which dumped a whole summer of rain in two days.

But the statement that really got the readers going was "Science has never proven anything". Being the sh*t stirrer I can be, I offered no further explanation and just left it at that. By crikey, the subject of Climate Change certainly brings out the fanatics. It is amazing just how much people actually do not absorb of what they read. Of course I was accused of denying climate change, which I never did. People presume a lot more than is intended. I was accused of presuming to know more than the celebrated scientists, who several people told me were never wrong, I was told I should do some more reading on the subject, blah,blah,blah.

Anyway, to the point of this post. I have just been reading an article that debunks several myths about the loss of neurons in the brain through aging. Quite interesting and well referenced. But what caught my attention was the suggestion that we do not take scientific statements as the be all and end all of a subject. This one naturally debunks the long held belief that neuron loss is age related. The one myth still up for grabs is to whether men have more neurons, on average, than women. Still open to further study. Link as follows -

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/12/01/si ... ell-myths/

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Re: “Significant loss of neurons is a normal part of ageing” and other brain cell myths

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:59 am

Phoenix76 wrote:I threw in a couple of curly statements and ideas.
I thought that was a typo until I read what follows. Is curly an Oz expression........or Tasmanian??

Phoenix76 wrote: I introduced the idea that El Nino & La Nina can have quite dramatic effects on our weather/climate.
No. (Only half right/wrong.)

Phoenix76 wrote: But the statement that really got the readers going was "Science has never proven anything". Being the sh*t stirrer I can be, I offered no further explanation and just left it at that.
No need to stir.

Phoenix76 wrote: The one myth still up for grabs is to whether men have more neurons, on average, than women. Still open to further study.
Is calling the issue a myth right up front constitute a curly, a {!#%@}, or a weather event?

Phoenix76 wrote: This one naturally debunks the long held belief that neuron loss is age related. .....

https://digest.bps.org.uk/2017/12/01/si ... ell-myths/
Do you make any distinction between "neuron loss" vs what the article is about which is "significant loss of neurons"?

Link to FB? I'd like to see such a discussion. I'll just read, save my posting for here.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Phoenix76
Poster
Custom Title: Phoenix76

Re: “Significant loss of neurons is a normal part of ageing” and other brain cell myths

Post by Phoenix76 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:07 am

Yes Bobbo, "Curly" is very much an Oz expression. Means, tricky is probably the best explanation I can offer. Meant to trip you up.

El Nino, La Nina, half right/half wrong? Yes quite a possibility.

"No need to Stir". Well Bobbo, perhaps on this forum I shouldn't stir - as I have done in the past with you. But on FB, you do need to stir occasionally. You often have a lot of less educated people putting up posts that cannot be supported by any evidence whatsoever. As I said Bobbo, and as I have done to you, I am a sh*t stirrer by nature, that is me, can't, do not want to, change that. That would mean changing who I am,and I am NOT going to do that.

Neuron loss v's significant neuron loss. Maybe a slip of the fingers as they danced across the keys.

As for the idea that men have more neurons than women? Well simply quoting the article. Nothing underhand or oblique intended here.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:19 am

Cross species studies confirmed decades ago that number of neurons is not the issue of interest to anybody. Its the network: how the neurons are wired together that is relevant. Number of neurons is from the Nazi race baiting era.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?