Colour

What does make the world turn?
User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29087
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Colour

Postby Gord » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:22 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMqZR3pqMjg

Not a bad video, but it isn't perfect. It starts off well, but the towards the end it leaves something to be desired. I find some fault with their mentioning of a particular study, which I think they fail to explain well.

Here is a link to the actual paper: http://www.pnas.org/content/109/18/6819.full
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19633
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Colour

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:24 am

Gord wrote:...but the towards the end it leaves something to be desired...

I'll say. :-P
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29087
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Colour

Postby Gord » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:43 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Gord wrote:...but then towards the end it leaves something to be desired...

I'll say. :-P

:razz:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 7847
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Colour

Postby Aztexan » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:22 am

So you're gonna leave the "u" in the title? This is why our countries can't get along.
This is a sentence. tHi5 iz a seN+3nce oN drUgs!!!

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty"--sign seen at Occupy Wall St. protest.

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29087
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Colour

Postby Gord » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Yeus.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10177
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Colour

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:20 pm

When things are true across culture and time it is supposed to reveal some deeper truth about hooman nature or inherited archetypal interests...ie, encoded in our dna.

Does the video approach that subject...or address some other issue?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19633
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Colour

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Az wrote "countries".
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
True Skeptic
Posts: 10407
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Colour

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:18 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Az wrote "countries".


He keeps putting the 'o' in. That's why we can't get along.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Posts: 19633
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: sees Maria Frigoris from its house!

Re: Colour

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Now you're milking it.
Hi, Io the lurker.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Colour

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Gord wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMqZR3pqMjg

Not a bad video, but it isn't perfect. It starts off well, but the towards the end it leaves something to be desired. I find some fault with their mentioning of a particular study, which I think they fail to explain well.

Here is a link to the actual paper: http://www.pnas.org/content/109/18/6819.full

Interesting. I disagree with two things on a perceptual basis.
1. "Blue was fairly scarce" compared to red. What, they never looked up? :blink:
2. I think we have twelve color groups in English. Well, at least some of us have twelve, the twelfth being the cyan group, like Pantone 316:
Image
My car is this color. The RMV has it tagged as "green" on my registration, but its RGB profile is 0-73-79, so it actually has more slightly blue than green. To my eye, it seems more blue than green, but I wouldn't describe it as "blue." When asked, I say "dark cyan."
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29087
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Colour

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:54 am

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ision-sex/

Men trail women in discerning shades of blue, yellow, and green, a new study says.

Note: PUBLISHED SEPTEMBER 6, 2012.

Whenever someone writes about a "new" study, I have to wonder if they've thought ahead.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26356
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Colour

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:03 am

The video did not mention one thing that I thought was obviously worth considering.

The human eye has three types of specific receptors ( Cones) for electromagnetic radiation frequencies that are represented in our mind's view as "red" green" and "blue".

I don't know, but imagine there is some connection between innate perception of colour and the evolution of these three specific type cones that evolved, for the maximum adaption advantage.

I just haven't got a clue what I'm talking about yet, so I will shut up.
:D

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10177
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Colour

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:07 am

Matt: it is all Darwinian evolution. I think green is for plants while red is for fruit...good reasons why dogs have no need for color perception while insects and birds go to the ultra violet wave lengths? Blue is the puzzler. Avoiding cops comes too late in the developmental chain.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 26356
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Colour

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:18 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:Matt: it is all Darwinian evolution. I think green is for plants while red is for fruit...good reasons why dogs have no need for color perception while insects and birds go to the ultra violet wave lengths? Blue is the puzzler. Avoiding cops comes too late in the developmental chain.
I absolutely agree that the reason we adapted and evolved these colours is pragmatic to the environment. It is for this reason that I think (but don't know) the larger number of humans have words for "red" and "green".

In Russian, light blue and dark blue are two distinct different colours.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
True Skeptic
Posts: 10177
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am

Re: Colour

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:27 am

As aside: digital cameras have sensors for red, blue, and green wavelengths but usually more for detecting blue than other colors to match the color sensitivity/perception of the human eye. I just googled this and the one example given had more green...so ... who knows?

I meant to say infra-red for our insect friends. They evolved for all kinds of weird stimuli.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29087
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Colour

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:31 am

Old Norse had two words for black, and nobody seems sure anymore what the difference was. I have an article about it here somewhere, let's see if I can find it....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Posts: 8105
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Colour

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:47 am

Three, apparently ...
https://glosbe.com/en/non/black

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29087
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Colour

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Poodle wrote:Three, apparently ...
https://glosbe.com/en/non/black

It wasn't including blakkr, so the words must have been svartr and blár.

Sweet Christmas, check out this pdf, it's smack on topic with this discussion: http://journals.lub.lu.se/index.php/anf ... 1753/10432
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Colour

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:17 am

Gord wrote:Old Norse had two words for black, and nobody seems sure anymore what the difference was. I have an article about it here somewhere, let's see if I can find it....

That explains why Scandinavia has the most metal bands per capita.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2042
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Colour

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:33 am

You can test your ability to perceive different shades of the same color here. It begins fairly easily, but becomes gradually more complicated, with larger grids and less difference between the tones. So far, I've been able to pass 28 32 levels.
What are the facts? Again and again and again-what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what “the stars foretell,” avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable “verdict of history”--what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!
—Lazarus Long, from Time Enough for Love, by Robert A. Heinlein

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29087
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Colour

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:15 am

Gord wrote:Old Norse had two words for black, and nobody seems sure anymore what the difference was. I have an article about it here somewhere, let's see if I can find it....

I found it, but I can't find an online source. It's an article by Kirsten Wolf (same author as the article I linked to in my last post!) called "The Color Blue in Old Norse-Icelandic Literature" that was printed in the magazine Scripta Islandica issue #57 (2006), pages 55-78.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

User avatar
Gord
Real Skeptic
Posts: 29087
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: Silent Ork
Location: Transcona

Re: Colour

Postby Gord » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:08 pm

A "new" video about the colour blue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIg5HkyauoY
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE


Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest