More warp ...

What does make the world turn?
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: More warp ...

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:08 pm

Poodle wrote:I still want to know why Gord chose 'banana' as the substitute for 'trajectory'.

I feel that if he tells us the truth we may be staring deeply into the recesses of his soul.

So psychic he could read "change your banana, but not your speed." in bobbo's post?

Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:31 pm

In my own resets, I've replaced banana with trajectory. No confusion .... yet.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 pm

Poodle wrote:I still want to know why Gord chose 'banana' as the substitute for 'trajectory'.

I feel that if he tells us the truth we may be staring deeply into the recesses of his soul.

I think that might need a trigger warning.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:22 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Poodle wrote:I still want to know why Gord chose 'banana' as the substitute for 'banana'.

So psychic he could read "change your banana, but not your speed." in bobbo's post?

Some weirdo suggested it: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26447&hilit=trajectory&start=120#p499577

So I did it: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=26447&p=501518#p499661

Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Nearly five months ago.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: More time warp ...

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:38 am

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Re: More time warp ...

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:11 am

scrmbldggs wrote:...or was it... :-P

Yeah but did you keep it that way, or did you abandon the experiment early like a pseudoscientist? :neener:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:05 am

I unabashedly did! :beee:

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:12 am

This thread has become very frumious.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:16 am

Worped?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:24 am

#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:38 am

You do know that Gord just read... `I still want to know why Gord chose 'banana' as the substitute for 'banana'.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:10 am

Ah - you're right, TJ. Gord has closed himself off into an impenetrable cage of bananas.

He'll never again know what the hell we're talking about and we'll never again know what the hell he's talking about.

So he'll just become another normal member.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:37 pm

Poodle wrote:Ah - you're right, TJ. Gord has closed himself off into an impenetrable cage of bananas.

He'll never again know what the hell we're talking about and we'll never again know what the hell he's talking about.

So he'll just become another normal member.

I don't believe it. All you have to do to test it is use 'lay' incorrectly, and Gord will paint it red and type 'lie'.

I bet he can do it in his sleep, even when dreaming of donuts and sammiches.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:20 am

What the banana are you people talking about?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:07 am

The trajectory this banana has taken into it's brethren?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:09 am

Gord wrote:What the `heck` are you people talking about?

Wow - that makes sinse... sence I set my profile to convert `banana` into ``heck`` just yesterday.... I had no idea it would be tested so soon. :D

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:24 am

Anywho! Back to the gravity wave topic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVKO7UCIlgs
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:04 am

Cool piece of equipment in Mr Reitze's office (at around 1:40-ish). It even shows a... battle of a hole!

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:47 am

Gord wrote:Anywho! Back to the gravity wave topic!

This is getting way beyond my brain's skill level.....however I now understand that there may be black holes that were formed during the big bang, and that may have something to do with dark matter or may form proof for dark matter or something like that.

I am simply in awe that the two black holes, we "see" today merged three billion years ago.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Postby scrmbldggs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:55 am

...that's where the VCR comes in! :-P

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote:Anywho! Back to the gravity wave topic!

This is getting way beyond my brain's skill level.....however I now understand that there may be black holes that were formed during the big bang, and that may have something to do with dark matter or may form proof for dark matter or something like that.

I am simply in awe that the two black holes, we "see" today merged three billion years ago.

Two thoughts remind me of other videos.

First, Professor Ed Copeland talks about primordial black holes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs3mtZPySeM

Second, this new SciShow video about dark matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pq9hovXI44

...I guess I'll include this one, although I thought I'd posted it somewhere on the forums before (but can't find it now):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcv_tYcRgw4
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:13 pm

Two black holes, some 3 billion lightyears ago…

BH1: Do you believe that there will ever be time travel?

BH2: Well you can never tell for sure, but maybe a few billion lightyears into the future away, some entity, somewhere, may be able to see us.

BH1: I like your way of thinking, and I was meaning to suggest… I mean, if I`m not being too fast at this… Do you think we could merge, and experience that fleeting but deep gravity-wave inducing orgasm?

edit... fixed for old wiseman Gord.... :oldman:
Last edited by TJrandom on Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:45 am

Gord wrote:First, Professor Ed Copeland talks about primordial black holes:

Phew!....OK. So there are (or maybe) primordial black holes, from the time of the big bang. Black holes evaporate at different rates depending on their size. Therefore after 13.7 billion years, there should be a particular remaining ratio of different size primordial black holes in the universe and these may contribute to what we call dark matter.

That makes me wonder.....if primordial black holes are evaporating ......and these same black holes contribute to dark matter, doesn't that mean the amount of dark matter in the universe is reducing?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:05 pm

TJrandom wrote:...a few billion lightyears into the future....

Light-years are units of distance, not time. :beee: It's like saying you made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs. (A parsec is about 3.26 light-years [ or 31 trillion km / 19 trillion miles ] in length.)

Matthew Ellard wrote:That makes me wonder.....if primordial black holes are evaporating ......and these same black holes contribute to dark matter, doesn't that mean the amount of dark matter in the universe is reducing? [/color]

I don't know, so I'll refer you to this: https://www.quora.com/Is-the-amount-of- ... decreasing

Frank Heile, Physicist, SW Eng, Consciousness & Spirituality Author
Answered 17 Nov 2014

The density (grams per cubic meter) of both ordinary matter and dark matter are decreasing as space expands. The ratio should be approximately constant and the amount of dark matter (or ordinary matter) in a comoving volume should also be approximately constant (see Observable universe ). However, it is possible that dark matter could decay with some very long half-life and it is also possible that dark matter could self annihilate when two dark matter particles collide. Some of the searches for dark matter are looking for dark matter using these effects. Finally, it is possible, but unlikely that additional dark matter could be created by the high energy collisions of ordinary matter. For example, one of the searches for dark matter was to see if the LHC could create dark matter particles when high energy ordinary matter particles collide. So far, all these dark matter particle searches have not observed any dark matter particle yet, so it is likely that the overall amount of dark matter is approximately constant.

The overall best guess is that the total amount of dark matter in a comoving volume will be approximately constant except. On very very long time frames it might slowly decrease as it annihilates or decays.

...even though he is a "Consciousness & Spirituality Author". :shudder:

If dark matter is composed (at least partly) of black holes, and if black holes are able to completely evaporate (and don't stop evaporating when they reach the planck length), and if a significant amount of those black holes were of a size that would evaporate faster than they would accumulate new mass, then it is possible that the amount of dark matter in the universe is decreasing over time.

However, if dark matter were decreasing, it would be turning into something non-dark that we could detect. And in the video, Professor said it's the black holes with "a mass bigger than 1015 grams" (about the mass of Mt. Everest), which will not yet have evaporated, that in principle could act as dark matter candidates. He speaks of black holes with masses of 1020 to 1026 grams as those candidates.

Rewatch the first video from around the 8:23 - 9:00 to see what I mean.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:42 pm

Gord wrote: However, if dark matter were decreasing, it would be turning into something non-dark that we could detect.
I am struggling a bit here. If I say something stupid, just say so.

A black hole evaporates due to quantum mechanics, in that near the Schwarzschild radius, something (photons? electrons?) will tunnel outside the Schwarzschild radius and escape, thus the black hole reduces in mass.

Doe anyone sort of know what the nature is of the things that escape? Is it a variety of things? Am I correct in assuming it's only photons and that's why we see the huge electromagnetic pulses when blackholes collide?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:13 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote: However, if dark matter were decreasing, it would be turning into something non-dark that we could detect.
I am struggling a bit here. If I say something stupid, just say so.

Mwah ha ha ha ha ha!

I've never asked for or wanted permission, have I? :twisted:

Gord wrote:A black hole evaporates due to quantum mechanics, in that near the Schwarzschild radius, something (photons? electrons?) will tunnel outside the Schwarzschild radius and escape, thus the black hole reduces in mass.

Doe anyone sort of know what the nature is of the things that escape? Is it a variety of things? Am I correct in assuming it's only photons and that's why we see the huge electromagnetic pulses when blackholes collide? [/color]

A black hole evaporates through Hawking radiation. Quantum particles pop into and out of existence, one particle and one anti-particle which then annihilate one another resulting in a net balance of nothing ultimately having been created or destroyed. They aren't real particles, they're virtual particles, which exist only for short periods of time and with the final end state consistent with all the known laws of conservation of energy.

At the event horizon of a black hole, one of the pairs can fall into the black hole while the other remains outside. When you get two pair so particle/antiparticles popping into existence, the particle from one pair and the antiparticle from the other pair can fall into the black hole while the antiparticle from pair #1 and the particle from pair #2 remain outside of it. It's when those latter two come into contact and annihilate each other that you get the creation of two real photons, which appear to be radiating away from the black hole.

But that creation isn't free, and the energy for those two photons must come from somewhere. The energy comes from the black hole, thanks to the particle and antiparticle that fell into the black hole.

This is only possible in severely curved space. The size of the black hole is the factor that creates the severity of that curve -- smaller black holes are more severely curved than larger ones.

And furthermore, quantum mechanics! (In other words, I don't understand it either. If I thought I understood it fully, I know I would be wrong.)
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:27 am

Gord wrote: A black hole evaporates through Hawking radiation. Quantum particles pop into and out of existence, one particle and one anti-particle which then annihilate one another resulting in a net balance of nothing ultimately having been created or destroyed. They aren't real particles, they're virtual particles, which exist only for short periods of time and with the final end state consistent with all the known laws of conservation of energy.

At the event horizon of a black hole, one of the pairs can fall into the black hole while the other remains outside. When you get two pair so particle/antiparticles popping into existence, the particle from one pair and the antiparticle from the other pair can fall into the black hole while the antiparticle from pair #1 and the particle from pair #2 remain outside of it. It's when those latter two come into contact and annihilate each other that you get the creation of two real photons, which appear to be radiating away from the black hole.

But that creation isn't free, and the energy for those two photons must come from somewhere. The energy comes from the black hole, thanks to the particle and antiparticle that fell into the black hole.

Thank you Gord. I think I now "get it" and see my original mistake. I was thinking of normal atoms or photons escaping which was just wrong. The loss of energy from the black hole means there must be a loss of mass.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:30 am

For the record, I got most of my information for that last post from this website: https://medium.com/starts-with-a-bang/h ... 63dbda6832

Because I didn't trust what I thought I knew. :mrgreen:
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:32 am

On slingshot.

Bobbo is correct that the object moving out again slows down. Yes. But is slows down less than the extra speed it gained.

The extra speed comes from gravitational drag. If a planet rotates in 8 hours, for example, and a space vehicle shoots down to loop around it, in the same direction as the rotation (which is important!), and in an orbit slower than the 8 hours (easy to do. Just shoot around it at a suitable distance, so it takes longer than 8 hours), then the drag of the planet's rotation will accelerate the space vehicle.

This happens with Earth's moon. The Earth rotates in 24 hours. The moon orbits in 28 days, in the same direction as the rotation of the Earth. The gravitational drag of the Earth pulls at the moon, and accelerates it. That makes the moon move faster, moving it a little further out each year, making its orbit longer. That longer orbit means it takes longer to go round the Earth. This is why the moon moves further out and has a longer orbital time every year. Over millions of years, that has become very significant. The energy to accelerate the moon comes from the rotational energy of the Earth, which means the Earth is slowing down in its rotation. Our day gets gradually longer as a result of speeding up the moon.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Postby Gord » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:03 am

#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Postby ElectricMonk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:36 am

If you fly close to a planet against the spin, you will slow down: that is what the solar probes did to get into a close orbit.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:34 am

Eye waves back. Image
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”