More on PhD Research into Skeptics Forum

What does make the world turn?
omarshucl

More on PhD Research into Skeptics Forum

Postby omarshucl » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:50 pm

Hello,

For those who didn't see my first post on this topic, or have been bought here by Pyrrho's link - I'm a PhD student who's been studying this subforum as part of research into online conversations about science. I've included the text of the original post I made below in case you want more details.

Update for everyone #1: My study's moved on a bit and now I'd like to compare the Science subforum to other subforums on Skeptics. This would basically involve putting lots of text from other subforums through some automatic software which creates topic clusters (by working out which words frequently occur close together), and also reading some conversations to see if the themes I've found for the Science subforums apply to other forums too. The key point is that I would not refer to any specific incidents or conversations on any subforums outside Science. I'm also only using publically available information and avoiding safespaces. Nonetheless I wanted to check if any of you would be uncomfortable with this and you'd like me to exclude your posts or comments - if so please do let me know.

Update for everyone #2: Massive thanks to those who've talked to me about this subforum previously, there's been some very helpful information. I'll be doing 'round 2' of thinking about this subforum over the next couple of months, so any more conversations would be really welcomed; please do comment below, email me on oliver[dot]marsh[dot]13@ucl[dot]ac[dot]uk, or PM me.

Thanks,
Oliver

Hello,

I am a current PhD student at University College London doing research into online conversations about science. I was hoping to use this forum as one of my case-studies - this would involve using only publically available data, and I shall never be reporting any personal information of users (even user-chosen pseudonyms). I wanted to check this would be ok with you as a group; and also as an individual user, if you would be more comfortable with me not using your posts or comments please do let me know (preferably ASAP to minimise back-searching). More information about my project can be found at http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/students/marsh, in particular the 'what I am doing' and 'get involved' sections.

Also, I was wondering if any of you would be willing to talk about your experiences of using this forum? I am interested in hearing about all sorts of use, from lurking to regular posting. This could be carried out through any medium you would prefer.

Finally if any of you have experience using any other form of publicly available science-focussed online discussion group - barring blogs, they're not included in my research for various reasons - I'd be very interested to hear about that.

I am happy to chat further or answer questions, so please do comment below, email me on oliver[dot]marsh[dot]13@ucl[dot]ac[dot]uk, or try to PM me (though I'm not sure that feature of my account is authorised yet).

Oliver

from viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25399

Gord
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Re: More on PhD Research into Skeptics Forum

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:38 pm

Hi. :wave:

I know less shame than I should, so I have no objection to your use of my publicly posted stuff as you wish. Hopefully I won't end up in jail over things I've posted, haha!

Haha!

Hahahahahahaaaa!

Hopefully. :|
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

omarshucl

Postby omarshucl » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:07 pm

Gord wrote:Hopefully I won't end up in jail over things I've posted, haha!

if that happens a full dramatisation of the story will appear as thesis chapter 8.

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:25 pm

I didn't realise you actually needed permission, Oliver. Feel free to use what you like of mine, although I'm not as polite as Gord (sometimes!).

omarshucl

Postby omarshucl » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:03 pm

Poodle wrote:I didn't realise you actually needed permission, Oliver

To clarify (sorry if I made it unclear above) - this is not me seeking permission to use posts, but rather making people aware I'm here so they can exclude themselves if they prefer. (Though thanks nonetheless). And also asking if anyone fancies chatting to me about using the forum. Is the latter something you and/or Gord would potentially be interested in?

Poodle
Has More Than 8K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:33 pm

PM sent.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:51 pm

Poodle wrote:...I'm not as polite as Gord (sometimes!).

Spoiler:
[insert insult here]
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE

Flash
Has More Than 6K Posts

Postby Flash » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:18 pm

No one has ever asked me for a permission to do anything including my wife, children, my cats and dogs. Finally and quickly before you change your mind... okay, the permission granted. ;)
When I feel like exercising, I just lie down until the feeling goes away. Paul Terry

freebill
BANNED
Custom Title: ufo - ra believer

Postby freebill » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:02 am

"This would basically involve putting lots of text from other subforums through some automatic software which creates topic clusters..."

hey oliver, phd student; will you be using some text or pattern recognition/analysis software?

or do you know of some free ones?

you know; if you use this forumland for your study, you could offer your expertise in some areas that we lack in return, as a courtesy

scrmbldggs
Has No Life
Custom Title: something

Postby scrmbldggs » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:34 am

freebill wrote:"This would basically involve putting lots of text from other subforums through some automatic software which creates topic clusters..."

hey oliver, phd student; will you be using some text or pattern recognition/analysis software?

you know; if you use this forumland for your study, you could offer your expertise in some areas that we lack in return, as a courtesy

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/sts/students/marsh
Hi, Io the lurker.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:05 am

freebill wrote:.... that we lack in return, as a courtesy
Who is this "we" you refer to?

You are a solo "woo" troll, promoting "Ra" the fake alien, invented by three people on LSD, through seances, using incense sticks, candles and a bible.

You are neither a critical thinker, nor a skeptic. You are the exact opposite.
:lol:

Monster
Perpetual Poster

Postby Monster » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:46 am

omarshucl wrote:Hello,

For those who didn't see my first post on this topic, or have been bought here by Pyrrho's link - I'm a PhD student who's been studying this subforum as part of research into online conversations about science. I've included the text of the original post I made below in case you want more details.

Update for everyone #1: My study's moved on a bit and now I'd like to compare the Science subforum to other subforums on Skeptics. This would basically involve putting lots of text from other subforums through some automatic software which creates topic clusters (by working out which words frequently occur close together), and also reading some conversations to see if the themes I've found for the Science subforums apply to other forums too. The key point is that I would not refer to any specific incidents or conversations on any subforums outside Science. I'm also only using publically available information and avoiding safespaces. Nonetheless I wanted to check if any of you would be uncomfortable with this and you'd like me to exclude your posts or comments - if so please do let me know.

Update for everyone #2: Massive thanks to those who've talked to me about this subforum previously, there's been some very helpful information. I'll be doing 'round 2' of thinking about this subforum over the next couple of months, so any more conversations would be really welcomed; please do comment below, email me on oliver[dot]marsh[dot]13@ucl[dot]ac[dot]uk, or PM me.

Thanks,
Oliver

This forum has a very small active user count. Is this sufficient for your purposes?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

omarshucl

Postby omarshucl » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:55 pm

freebill wrote:"This would basically involve putting lots of text from other subforums through some automatic software which creates topic clusters..."

Sure, the ones I've been using are MALLET and IRaMuTeQ, though I've stopped using MALLET as it seems to look for things which occur across a whole body of text (so for online stuff it tends to produce one big cluster full of http's and www's) whereas Iramuteq seems better at separating a body of text into smaller bodies.

Monster wrote:This forum has a very small active user count. Is this sufficient for your purposes?

I'm using a range of sizes for my case studies (for comparison purposes), this one's my 'small' one.

freebill
BANNED
Custom Title: ufo - ra believer

Postby freebill » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:06 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
freebill wrote:.... that we lack in return, as a courtesy
Who is this "we" you refer to?

You are a solo "woo" troll, promoting "Ra" the fake alien, invented by three people on LSD, through seances, using incense sticks, candles and a bible.

You are neither a critical thinker, nor a skeptic. You are the exact opposite.

:D well, I see that I am better at critical thinking than most of the others here

I am also a skeptic, a real one, but I don't prefer to bring it to the fore :D

I am quite skeptical of some unempirical stories made up by current archeology about egyptian pyramids, for instance :heh:

Harte
Poster

Postby Harte » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:28 pm

I note you use the "opt out" format instead of the "opt in."

AAAAHHHHH! He's CORPORATE!

Everybody RUN!

Harte
The skeptic, being a lover of his kind, desires to cure by speech, as best he can, the self-conceit and rashness of the dogmatists.
Sextus Empiricus, Outlines of PyrrhonismHello!

Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so.
Bertrand Russell

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:51 pm

freebill wrote: I see that I am better at critical thinking than most of the others here
No. You believe a fictional alien invented by three people, on LSD, during a 70's seance, guides your life.

freebill wrote: I am also a skeptic, a real one, but I don't prefer to bring it to the fore
No. You believe a fictional alien invented by three people, on LSD, during a 70's seance, guides your life.

freebill wrote: I am quite skeptical of some unempirical stories made up by current archeology about egyptian pyramids, for instance
No. You faked a whole lot of UFO evidence here, got caught and then claimed "Ra" the alien told you to do this.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=25558&hilit=mexican&start=40#p464178

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:21 am

@Oliver - happy to help if asked....

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:29 pm

I think the title of this thread should be changed to remove the two opening words, because when I read it out loud it sounds like, "Moron PhD Research into Skeptics Forum".
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:31 pm

Hi, Io the lurker.

omarshucl

Postby omarshucl » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Gord wrote:I think the title of this thread should be changed to remove the two opening words, because when I read it out loud it sounds like, "Moron PhD Research into Skeptics Forum".

I hope my examiners also take that view...

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:45 pm

omarshucl wrote:
Gord wrote:I think the title of this thread should be changed to remove the two opening words, because when I read it out loud it sounds like, "Moron PhD Research into Skeptics Forum".

I hope my examiners also take that view...

Just tell them you were trying to blend in. We get a few thread titles a month that really ought to be changed. ;)
#ANDAMOVIE

omarshucl

Postby omarshucl » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:47 am

I'm mostly thinking about the possibility of them saying 'nah you should have kept the Moron bit'.

Happy holidays everyone ;).

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:06 am

Wuznt this part uv the plot in a Beach Party movie with Annette Funichello & Franky Avalon?
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:49 pm

I thought the Beach Party movie plots all involved "wild mating habits"?
#ANDAMOVIE

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:37 pm

Maybe. There wuz also a bad guy with a gang.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Gord wrote:I thought the Beach Party movie plots all involved "wild mating habits"?
"Surf culture" is when a bloke has to sit in cold water for five hours, on a bit of wood, with "the hope of accidentally grabbing a girl's tits".
Gidget-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:12 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gord wrote:I thought the Beach Party movie plots all involved "wild mating habits"?
"Surf culture" is when a bloke has to sit in cold water for five hours, on a bit of wood, with "the hope of accidentally grabbing a girl's tits".
Gidget-1.jpg

Your quotes were in the wrong place... it shoulda been ... "accidentally".... :D

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:49 pm

TJrandom wrote: Your quotes were in the wrong place... it shoulda been ... "accidentally".... :D

Listen mate. I don't know how you Japanese people accidentally grab a girls tits, but we Australians are the world's experts on accidentally grabbing a girl's tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PfDro1UGUo

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:36 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
TJrandom wrote: Your quotes were in the wrong place... it shoulda been ... "accidentally".... :D

Listen mate. I don't know how you Japanese people accidentally grab a girls tits, but we Australians are the world's experts on accidentally grabbing a girl's tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PfDro1UGUo

Well, just for the record - we do it with obvious zeal, finesse, excitement, and permission...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:00 am

TJrandom wrote: Well, just for the record - we do it with obvious zeal, finesse, excitement, and permission...
Ah yes.....even in modern society........The Japanese honourable code of "Titshido".

Samurai Lord : "I celebrate my ancestors and note that I am wearing wooden shoes that are easy to trip over with."
Geisha : "I welcome your company with tea and state my kimono is loose at the top, near where you are holding out both of your hands".
Samurai Lord : : "I now trip graciously. onto your cultured and polite body".

Banzai
308278-3x2-940x627.jpg

The Japanese military war cry will never be the same after if you always try remember this post. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JO 753
Has No Life

Postby JO 753 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:49 am

The thesis will be about how quickly discussionz get derailed and turned into larfs.
Gubmint for us
not the rich.

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:58 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
TJrandom wrote: Well, just for the record - we do it with obvious zeal, finesse, excitement, and permission...
Ah yes.....even in modern society........The Japanese honourable code of "Titshido".

Samurai Lord : "I celebrate my ancestors and note that I am wearing wooden shoes that are easy to trip over with."
Geisha : "I welcome your company with tea and state my kimono is loose at the top, near where you are holding out both of your hands".
Samurai Lord : : "I now trip graciously. onto your cultured and polite body".

Banzai
308278-3x2-940x627.jpg

The Japanese military war cry will never be the same after if you always try remember this post. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But it isn`t actually a war cry - except in English where it was incorrectly understood. It means `long life` or `live long`... as in 10,000 years long.

http://japanese.about.com/library/blqow41.htm

omarshucl

Postby omarshucl » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:28 pm

Hi folks,

Just a note to say many thanks to the people who I've been talking to already, starting on my final stretch of data analysis now and they're proving really useful. But if anyone would still be keen to talk to me about their experiences on the forum, I'd be very keen to hear them - more interviewees and more interviews always welcome!

(Tangents like the above also welcome as late-stage-PhD amusement is a valuable service)

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:47 pm

I wish you good luck, with the understanding that I neither believe in the efficacy of wishing nor the existence of luck, that "good" and "bad" are subjective, and that the existence of neither you nor I has been demonstrated to anyone's satisfaction (the existence or non-existence of which notwithstanding)! :wave:
#ANDAMOVIE

scrmbldggs
Has No Life

Postby scrmbldggs » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:12 am

Hi, Io the lurker.

psychiatry is a scam
Frequent Poster

Postby psychiatry is a scam » Sat May 07, 2016 9:44 am

omarshucl wrote:Hi folks,

Just a note to say many thanks to the people who I've been talking to already, starting on my final stretch of data analysis now and they're proving really useful. But if anyone would still be keen to talk to me about their experiences on the forum, I'd be very keen to hear them - more interviewees and more interviews always welcome!

(Tangents like the above also welcome as late-stage-PhD amusement is a valuable service)

so will you write about the bullying that gets people kicked out of this forum ?
for the real minority ; there will be no justice , there will be no peace .
makes sense 2me , so it has 2be wrong .

Gord
Real Skeptic

Postby Gord » Sat May 07, 2016 6:04 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote:so will you write about the bullying that gets people kicked out of this forum ?

I will. Show me where.
#ANDAMOVIE

TJrandom
Has More Than 7K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat May 07, 2016 10:42 pm

psychiatry is a scam wrote:
omarshucl wrote:Hi folks,

so will you write about the bullying that gets people kicked out of this forum ?

Maybe those who have been banned should contribute... Oh, wait.... :lol:

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Postby Angel » Sat May 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Good evening Oliver~
Exactly what is it that u r doing
to/with the words I post?
It's easy to see ~ most people
r limited in their word use ability.
Good luck figuring out how my
brain functions. The problem with
experiments ~ the performed opinions
of those doing the experiment .
You are educated so you have preformed
opinions of how things should work.
Nature follows no man and you cannot
keep a pet alive forever no matter
how much you love it.
Are you able to think with the mind
of a one year old human? It makes
everything like the first time it happened
& you r less likely to get upset or hurt
feelings when they turn on you. :lol:
I enjoy words~ unfortunately they come out
of people. Hehe
Feel free to ask anything .
I'm a open book. Just not sure what
language it's written in ;)
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

Angel
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: LOVE

Postby Angel » Sat May 07, 2016 11:36 pm

Gord wrote:
psychiatry is a scam wrote:so will you write about the bullying that gets people kicked out of this forum ?

I will. Show me where.

People get banned for bullying? 0.0
On here? :roll: ( don't spank me ;) hehe)
To be or not to be?
To believe or
Not to believe?
To be live or
Not to be live?
To exist or
Not to exist?
What was the question?

Return to “Science, Technology, and Mathematics”