Is anything really solid or just an illusion?

What does make the world turn?
Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Re: Is anything really solid or just an illusion?

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:26 pm

I walked through this door to escape the normal people.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Shaka
Account Locked

Post by Shaka » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:08 pm

digress wrote:
Shaka wrote:Nobody can control your mind unless you let them.

Tell that to your brain.

It's normally the other way round digress. :!:
"He who is born in time thinks according to his time.
Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Post by digress » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:54 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:I know Pyrrho won't do this, but I would love "Yrreg", "Shaka" and "psychiatry is a scam" to be restricted to one thread. That way they can all give each other advice and we can finally ignore them.

It would be an interesting experiment. I think they would all stop posting. I think their personality disorders compel them "to prove they are smart" to normal people. Therefore they will have no interest in each other.

:D

Matthew Ellard, here you resemble something like a Caesar. The 'single' thread is the arena. Yrreg, Shaka, who else; your contestants... You see where this is going? 8-)
  God is an idea.  
"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Post by digress » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Shaka wrote:
digress wrote:
Shaka wrote:Nobody can control your mind unless you let them.

Tell that to your brain.

It's normally the other way round digress. :!:

Wow, sounds like a recipe for entity.
  God is an idea.  
"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:36 pm

digress wrote: Matthew Ellard, here you resemble something like a Caesar. The 'single' thread is the arena. Yrreg, Shaka, who else; your contestants... You see where this is going? 8-)

I had a dream, that one day, I would be able to combine the codes of "Teasing idiots in public" and "Dwarf throwing" into a new popular combination sport.

"Dwarf throwing was created in Australia........"
me_815.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

salomed
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Cartesian Skeptic

Is anything really solid or just an illusion?

Post by salomed » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:03 am

You know Gorgeous, I think your picture is from a 1997 video game and you are probably called George, but I like the stuff you are posting. I imagine that perhaps all of it is bunkum, nonetheless, if we wish we can put our critical skills to the test on it.

If we don't wish, we can ignore your incessant and a tad juvenile postings. What fun to doubt!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Comment savez-vous que vous ne parlez pas bollox?
Sur internet: http://bit.ly/14A0n9H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:24 am

salomed wrote: I think your picture is from a 1997 video game
Just out of interest which video game? Was it Myst?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:39 pm

salomed wrote:You know Gorgeous, I think your picture is from a 1997 video game and you are probably called George, but I like the stuff you are posting. I imagine that perhaps all of it is bunkum, nonetheless, if we wish we can put our critical skills to the test on it.

If we don't wish, we can ignore your incessant and a tad juvenile postings. What fun to doubt!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--------------not bunk...for juvenile see fighting on my other thread.......the pic is one I got from this skeptic site....I'm not George unless you mean George Bush jr........
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

Shaka
Account Locked

Post by Shaka » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:41 am

Major Malfunction wrote:I walked through this door to escape the normal people.

If you are trying to escape then that makes you very normal indeed. Escape is never the safest place. Try the unmanifest - nobody can find you there, not even yourself. :lol:

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:56 pm

Shaka wrote:

If you are trying to escape then that makes you very normal indeed. Escape is never the safest place. Try the unmanifest - nobody can find you there, not even yourself. :lol:

What's "the unmanifest"? You stumped me there.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Shaka
Account Locked

Post by Shaka » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:45 pm

Monster wrote:
Shaka wrote:

The foundation of all sensory experience.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:50 pm

Monster wrote: What's "the unmanifest"? You stumped me there.

I was also wondering. I think he read the words "it is not manifest" somewhere, and got confused and thought he could shorten this to "the unmanifest". He's having awful problems recently, mistakenly using words like "convolutions" when he meant "convulsions".

I think his "personal issues" are coupled with dyslexia and that's why his posts are generally gibberish. He simply doesn't know they are gibberish, because he is dyslexic, so it all makes sense to Shaka, but no one else.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:56 pm

Let me clarifyit4you: The you that does not exist must first understand nondual to understand unmanifest. :-P
Lard, save me from your followers.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Post by Poodle » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:58 pm

Wasn't it a book by H. P. Lovecraft?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Shaka is copying and pasting copyright material

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:00 pm

Shaka wrote:The foundation of all sensory experience.

I searched the word "unmanifest" and it took me to the spiritual guru pages of Peter Russell. I now believe this is where Shaka is copying and pasting his posts from.

Peter Russell wrote:All that is ever known are the particular manifestations of reality within an individual's experience. The unmanifest, the underlying reality, remains unknowable.

Shaka wrote:All that is ever known are the particular manifestations of reality within an individual's experience. The unmanifest, the underlying reality, remains unknowable

http://www.peterrussell.com/Reality/RHTML/R28.php

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:01 pm

Shaka wrote:
Monster wrote:
Shaka wrote:

The foundation of all sensory experience.

Oh.

Well, that's great. Thanks.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: Shaka is copying and pasting copyright material

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:16 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:

Shaka wrote:The foundation of all sensory experience.

I searched the word "unmanifest" and it took me to the spiritual guru pages of Peter Russell. I now believe this is where Shaka is copying and pasting his posts from.

Peter Russell wrote:All that is ever known are the particular manifestations of reality within an individual's experience. The unmanifest, the underlying reality, remains unknowable.

Shaka wrote:All that is ever known are the particular manifestations of reality within an individual's experience. The unmanifest, the underlying reality, remains unknowable

http://www.peterrussell.com/Reality/RHTML/R28.php

"Infinity is reborn in the mechanics of making tea"_

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:07 am

scrmbldggs wrote:"Infinity is reborn in the mechanics of making tea"_

Hmmmm.... I've just been reading excerpts from "The Global Brain" 1983 by a meditation Guru called Peter Russell. I didn't need to bother. Shaka has been copying and pasting those quotes, here.

(It was the shared use of an invented word "unmanifest" that targeted my internet phrase checkers)

What's fun is that the character of Peter Russell's words, and his self description as a "futurist" puts him in the same box as Terrance McKenna. However, as I pointed out before, Zuezz and Shaka will never talk to each other, even though they share beliefs, because its all about proving something to "normal people" and nothing to do with self criticism of their actual belief system.

Here is a cosmic video from Peter Russell to compare & contract to Zuezz's video on Terrance McKenna.

phpBB [video]

Scott Mayers
Veteran Poster
Custom Title: Deep

Post by Scott Mayers » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:51 am

I saw Peter Russell's "The Global Brain" and quite enjoyed it. While the guy is a meditation guru, this to me as a non-believer doesn't affect me or cause me to join any cults or adhere to any of his other beliefs. That video was actually a very well presented description of what was then called, "The Gaia Principle" regarding a rational theory on consciousness. I think that it is valid.

Many religions derive from secular philosophical origins. The Pythagoreans too evolved into a religion in ancient times (if we are to trust our recorded histories on those details) but they also advanced a lot of what became our theories on music and math. Learning the pythagorean theorem didn't make me fear eating beans because it their 'cult' supposedly believed they held the soles of people.
I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:35 pm

Where's the cheese?
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Poodle » Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:22 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Where's the cheese?

Nazareth.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:Where's the cheese?

It was a story, handed down verbally remember?

Kraft Cheeses = Christ, Jesus.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Poodle » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:59 pm

Exactly - Cheeses of Nazareth.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:00 pm

seth-----"Matter is continually created, but no particular object is in itself continuous. There is not, for example, one object that deteriorates with age. There are instead continuous creations of psychic energy into a physical pattern that appears to hold a more or less rigid appearance. ...After a certain point each recreation becomes less perfect from your standpoint. After many such re-creations that have been unperceived by you, then you notice a difference and assume that a change...has occurred. The actual material that seems to make up the object has completely disappeared many times, and the pattern has been filled again with new matter..--------(On one of 3 people in the room holding a glass) ---.None of you sees the glass that the others see...Each of you creates your own glass, in your own personal perspective. Therefore you have three different physical glasses here, but each one exists in an entirely different space continuum....This can be proven mathematically, and scientists are already working with the problem, though they do not understand the principles behind it."
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:30 pm

In the Advaita Vedanta of the 8th century Indian philosopher Śaṅkara, the mind, body and world are all held to be the same unchanging eternal conscious entity called Brahman. Advaita, which means non-dualism, holds the view that all that exists is pure absolute consciousness. The fact that the world seems to be made up of changing entities is an illusion, or Maya. The only thing that exists is Brahman, which is described as Satchitananda (Being, consciousness and bliss). Advaita Vedanta is best described by a verse which states "Brahman is alone True, and this world of plurality is an error; the individual self is not different from Brahman".[92]

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:37 pm

Been digging for some more Spam, I see. It's rather old and stinky cheese, however. :yawn:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:24 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:http://www.peterrussell.com/Reality/RHTML/R28.php

:facepalm:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:31 pm

Scientists show future events decide what happens in the past

www.digitaljournal.com/science/experime ... .../434829 ---------An experiment by Australian scientists has proven that what happens to particles in the past is only decided when they are observed and measured in the future. Until such time, reality is just an abstraction.

--------------Quantum physics is a weird world. It studies subatomic particles, which are the essential building blocks of reality. All matter, including ourselves are made up of them. But, the laws governing the tiny microscopic world seem to be different to those dictating how larger objects behave in our own macroscopic reality.
Quantum laws tend to contradict common sense. At that level, one thing can be two different things simultaneously and be at two different places at the same time. Two particles can be entangled and, when one changes its state, the other will also do so immediately, even if they are at opposite ends of the universe – seemingly acting faster than the speed of light.
Particles can also tunnel through solid objects, which should normally be impenetrable barriers, like a ghost passing through a wall. And now scientists have proven that, what is happening to a particle now, isn't governed by what has happened to it in the past, but by what state it is in the future – effectively meaning that, at a subatomic level, time can go backwards.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/science/e ... z3oGfVHAXS ----------In this latest experiment, carried out by scientists at the Australian National University, lead researcher Andrew Truscott said in a press release that they have proven that "reality does not exist if you are not looking at it.”
Scientists have shown long ago that a particle of light, called a photon, can be both a wave and a particle by using the so-called double slit experiment. It showed that when light is shone at two slits in a screen, a photon is able to pass through one of them as a particle and both of them as a wave.

-----------------What they found was that, when there were two grates in place, the atom passed through it on many paths in a wave form, but, when the second grate was removed, it behaved like a particle and took only one path through.
So, what form it would take after passing through the first grate depended on whether the second grate was put in place afterward. Therefore, whether it continued as a particle or changed into a wave wasn't decided until a future event had already taken place.
Time went backwards. Cause and effect appear to be reversed. The future caused the past. The arrow of time seemed to work in reverse.
The decisive point when its form was decided was when the quantum event was observed and measured. Before that, whatever would take place existed in a suspended state, the atom had not yet "decided" what to do.
Professor Truscott said that the experiment showed that;
“A future event causes the photon to decide its past.”
There is also good evidence that quantum processes take place inside our brains and within our body cells, as reported by the Guardian last year.

-----------------"Particles can also tunnel through solid objects,, which should normally be impenetrable barriers"---------"- reality is just an abstraction.
"-------......they are proving what I've been saying ,time is an illusion, what Seth has said, Eiinstein, Bohr, Tesla.. :)

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:26 pm

gorgeous wrote:Scientists show future events decide what happens in the past

http://www.digitaljournal.com/science/e ... .../434829 ---------An experiment by Australian scientists has proven that what happens to particles in the past is only decided when they are observed and measured in the future. Until such time, reality is just an abstraction.

ERROR THE PAGE YOU LINKED TO DOESN'T EXIST

So much for that crap. :D

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:43 pm

works for me

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Poodle » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:09 pm

gorgeous wrote:works for me

The link may, but your comprehension doesn't. I haven't counted, but the term 'at a quantum level' probably occurs several times in the article. It is sad that you refuse to begin to understand what that may mean - sad because, until you make the attempt to understand, you will continue to flounder in your self-inflicted ignorance.

Do yourself a favour, gorgeous - do some real reading rather than cherry-picking popular science articles.

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:13 pm

still means I am correct..

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:52 pm

gorgeous wrote:still means I am correct..
No actually. I found the full article and it doesn't say what you claim. So I went to look for the actual statement by Professor Truscott, who appears in the article.

"While retro-causality is not ruled out by their experiment, the researchers found that, consistent with the views of quantum mechanics, the answer lies in how the atom was measured at the end of its journey." Professor Truscott

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci-te ... z3oJ3ruklN

So, as per usual, you are wrong. :D

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:58 pm

How to spot BS: "quantum....................anything."
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:26 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:How to spot BS: "quantum....................anything."
As you have probably guessed, Gorgeous doesn't actually know what quantum mechanics is. If you ask her to explain, she will either ignore your post or link you to some paper she found on Google, but didn't read herself. The same applies to Shaka and Zeuzzz's use of "quantum mechanics" in their posts. :D

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:30 am

Matt: yep. Quantum is an issue relevant ONLY for the sub atomic world. At that level, atoms are mostly empty space allowing for "solid" objects to pass through one another with only a rare chance of anything colliding with anything else. Get above the sub atomic world and we have things like walls.

Context.......its missed in so many subjects, nowhere more relevantly than with "Quantum................anything." A very close cousin of "Spirit.....................anything."....or "I believe.............and whatever follows."

All uttered by......................silly hoomans.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

gorgeous
Perpetual Poster

Post by gorgeous » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:18 am

aliens and people have walked through walls....humans when out of body...

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:23 am

gorgeous wrote:aliens and people have walked through walls....humans when out of body...

No. You simply had a bad dream last night.

Where is your evidence that this actually happened?
images (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Post by Gord » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:07 am

I walked through a wall once.

...I left a Gord-shaped hole behind, but I definitely walked through that wall....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:14 am

I've never walked through a wall, but I've walked through a dock before.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.