Skeptics and paranormal proponents might be jumping to conclusions

How should we think about weird things?
Omniverse
Poster

Skeptics and paranormal proponents might be jumping to conclusions

Postby Omniverse » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:16 pm

Quote: "The road to truth can be a long journey and there are no shortcuts."

Always Keep An Open Mind And Never Jump To Conclusions: I am going to share my own personal view when it comes to drawing a conclusion in regards to whether the afterlife, paranormal, god, soul, etc. exist or not. This personal view of mine also applies to every other topic that has a lot of debate. I personally think that human beings are very limited, close minded creatures and limit themselves to their particular views. They use shortcut methods of reasoning and logic to arrive at what they think is the truth rather than doing full research and looking at all the objections being said and addressed. I think this shortcut method is flawed and is a very simple, close minded, and limiting approach. People should do full research into both the paranormal and the skeptical/materialistic research before drawing any given conclusion as to whether the skeptics have real evidence or the paranormal has evidence.

I think this is the truly right and open minded way of drawing a conclusion. I will give you an example here with how these shortcut methods are flawed. Skeptics would claim that their scientific method clearly demonstrates paranormal evidence to be fake. But the paranormal researchers would say that the scientific method does not demonstrate the evidence to be fake and that there is, in fact, testable, repeatable evidence for these paranormal phenomena. From there, these paranormal researchers would say that the skeptics have no evidence for their claims and that they are just being close minded and refusing to accept the paranormal evidence. I, myself, have no way of knowing whether the skeptics are right in their conclusions or whether the paranormal researchers are right since I have not done full research into this myself.

I have no interest in this research and am merely keeping an open mind here. I will continue to say some more things here. There are basic facts of life such as the fact that an orange is a juicy fruit or that we will all grow old one day and our physical bodies will die. These things have no debate and these are things we all know to be true. But then there are topics that have a lot of debate about them such as the paranormal or the idea that vaccines are harmful or that they cause autism. I have to remain undecided on these things since I have no interest in fully researching these things and I think it is close minded for me to draw a conclusion through any shortcut of reasoning and logic.

As long as a claim is being made by researchers and people who have had a lot of training and education, then this is enough to warrant an open minded, full research into their claims rather than dismissing them through shortcuts. It doesn't matter what that claim is whether it be the Earth being flat, the idea that we are eternal souls, or anything else. Just because an idea sounds crazy and dumb at first glance does not mean we should dismiss it. Neither does it automatically mean that the rest of the arguments these researchers make are dumbfounded and warrant no further research into them. There is a big difference between well-trained, educated researchers making claims as opposed to a very dumb, crazy person making a claim.

If someone claimed that we can rip our heart out and still live, then we can just give up on the debate with that person since he would be very dumb and/or crazy. But if a researcher made this claim and said that there was somehow a way to achieve this, then we should keep an open mind towards that claim. Sure, there are researchers who believe dumb, crazy things. But the very fact that these researchers are people who have a lot of education and training is enough to warrant an open minded, full research into their claims. I will say one last thing here. That is, I do make certain decisions in life despite not knowing the truth. I still decide to not take vaccines despite not knowing whether they are truly harmful or not.

What Would An All Knowing Being Say?: I am going to give a hypothetical example of an all knowing being. If this being were to exist and we were to ask him whether the paranormal, soul, and afterlife is real or not rather than taking the words of skeptics and paranormal researchers, he might say something radical and unexpected. He might say that human beings limit themselves to their particular worldviews through their shortcut methods. From there, this being would give us the real answer as to whether those mystical phenomena exist or not.

I Will Not Fall Into Anyone's Trap. I Cannot Trust Humanity: My personality also plays a major role in my lack of trust in humanity. I am someone who really wants the eternal blissful afterlife of my dreams to be something real. Living forever in the blissful afterlife of my dreams would be the most profoundly beautiful and joyful existence for me. But skeptics would come along and tell me that I have every reason to think the afterlife and paranormal is all woo and bull crap. They would present their shortcut methods in order to try to convince me. They would attempt to trap me into their skeptical worldview (bubble).

But I do not fit into anyone's bubble or box. I am outside the box/bubble which means I cannot trust anybody. Another example would be fundamentalist Christians who would tell me that I have every reason to think hell is real and that I will go there unless I repent my sins. I would tell these Christians that I will not be fooled by their methods of trying to convince me of their worldview. I have this exact same mindset in regards to anybody making any given claim. This would even include people and researchers who claim that there is an eternal blissful afterlife for us all after we die even though this is something I really want to be true.

Peer Reviewed Research: Skeptics would ask me for peer reviewed research in regards to the paranormal. The paranormal researchers such as Dean Radin claim there is peer reviewed research. It is called IONS. If any skeptic objects to this, then it could still be possible they are being close minded and jumping to conclusions using their shortcuts:

http://noetic.org/research/psi-research
Last edited by Omniverse on Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Skeptics might be jumping to conclusions

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Try NOT posting stupid things we've seen countless times. You are not clever.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Try NOT posting stupid things we've seen countless times. You are not clever.

I think I'm saying something new here. I also don't understand how it's stupid.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Omniverse wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Try NOT posting stupid things we've seen countless times. You are not clever.

You think it's new. That's the kind of {!#%@} I'm talking about.

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Omniverse wrote:

If I have already said this before, then I do not recall.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:39 pm

I'm saying you haven't said original or anything like that. You are trying to scold us for not doing it your way. I'd be dead a few months before I would consider doing anything your way.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Postby OlegTheBatty » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:01 pm

Omniverse wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Omniverse wrote:

If I have already said this before, then I do not recall.

The gullibulati have been saying this since the invention of phonemes. Maybe longer.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Postby Poodle » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:56 am

I fully read your post, Omniverse, before coming to the conclusion that it was full of {!#%@}. I have added this observation to my ongoing investigation into your state of mind. The preliminary forecast of that investigation is that it's not looking good for you.

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:41 am

Just so you know, I can read anything anyone has to say here in regards to why they think the paranormal doesn't exist. But, for each and every single one of these posts people make, I would always find myself asking the question:

"What are the objections to what these people are saying?"

Thus, nothing anybody says here will convince me because I would have to do full research into these objections and I would have to do much researching in general until I arrive at the final destination. As a matter of fact, I apply this exact same mindset when determining the truth of any given thing. But there are exceptions such as the fact that, if you drink poison, that would be lethal for you. I obviously know not to drink poison. So, there are many things I know as obvious facts. But then there are things that require much research into. The paranormal is one of these things that requires much researching into.

Willywizz

Postby Willywizz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:20 am

And these..'paranormal researchers' are NOT jumping to conclusions?
Im sorry but when things break the laws of physics then we shouldn't be taking things at face value cause it takes a lot of good evidence to prove something extraordinary is real.

yeah keep an open mind buuuuut don't letcha brain fall out in the process k~

sorry but this thread's kinda dumb

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:25 am

Willywizz wrote:And these..'paranormal researchers' are NOT jumping to conclusions?
Im sorry but when things break the laws of physics then we shouldn't be taking things at face value cause it takes a lot of good evidence to prove something extraordinary is real.

These paranormal researchers should also take the long journey to that final destination as well. In other words, both the skeptics and these researchers should keep an open mind the whole way through all the while reading the objections of one another and doing full research into their fields of study.

Willywizz

Postby Willywizz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:45 am

Omniverse wrote:
Willywizz wrote:And these..'paranormal researchers' are NOT jumping to conclusions?

These paranormal researchers should also take the long journey to that final destination as well. In other words, both the skeptics and these researchers should keep an open mind the whole way through all the while reading the objections of one another and doing full research into their fields of study.

I do keep an open mind but these paranormal cases always turn out to be bs basically.. name some paranormal topics and I'll point out the flaws after looking at them both ways and it always turns out i have good reasons to be skeptical of them

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:07 am

There is a line between keeping an open mind and being stupid. Do you, Omnibus, dive into a deep course of research every time relativity is mentioned? Do you delay medical treatment until you have completely satisfied yourself, again, that your prescribed treatment is effective and safe? Do you fully ascertain your legal right to play Zelda games every time you turn on your computer? Most normal people, having done the research once, don't repeat it unless some massive error has been shown to exist.
Now, I freely admit that there are people in this world with obsessive compulsive disorders who would tend to do as you suggest. However, reinventing the wheel every time you want to go for a drive is fruitcake territory.

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Poodle wrote:There is a line between keeping an open mind and being stupid. Do you, Omnibus, dive into a deep course of research every time relativity is mentioned? Do you delay medical treatment until you have completely satisfied yourself, again, that your prescribed treatment is effective and safe? Do you fully ascertain your legal right to play Zelda games every time you turn on your computer? Most normal people, having done the research once, don't repeat it unless some massive error has been shown to exist.
Now, I freely admit that there are people in this world with obsessive compulsive disorders who would tend to do as you suggest. However, reinventing the wheel every time you want to go for a drive is fruitcake territory.

There are certain things we know as obvious facts. But then there are things that are debated about that are not obvious facts. As for taking medication, it is debated as to whether some types of medication really are effective and safe. But I would take said medication anyway despite not knowing the real truth. It is said to be effective and safe. Therefore, I just go with that notion even though I am not really sure if it is or not since there is much debate out there. So, there are certain things that have no debate about them. These are things we know as basic, obvious facts. But then there are things that have much debate. These are the types of things that require thorough research in order to arrive at the truth.

Cadmusteeth
Frequent Poster

Postby Cadmusteeth » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:58 pm

And some if those things being debated are not being talked about because of good faith on the part people bringing them up, but because they want to sow controversy so people will understand the subjects less. Like we see with climate change.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: bobbo da existential pragmatist

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Omniverse wrote: There are certain things we know as obvious facts.

lmftfy: obvious accepted ie: until it changes
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:35 am

I would like to say something new here now. I have revised my opening post to say something different now. The way I presented and explained this at first wasn't well.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Re: Skeptics and paranormal proponents might be jumping to conclusions

Postby Poodle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:28 am

I note your alterations, Omniverse. My observation is that you still have no idea what scientific skepticism is, not do you have an inkling of the meaning of 'evidence'. Let me give you a clue - it isn't about wishful thinking.

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:51 am

Poodle wrote:I note your alterations, Omniverse. My observation is that you still have no idea what scientific skepticism is, not do you have an inkling of the meaning of 'evidence'. Let me give you a clue - it isn't about wishful thinking.

Well, I do hear paranormal researchers talk about pseudo skeptics. The skeptics who claim that there is no evidence for the paranormal might be pseudo skeptics. Although, I do not know for sure. Now, I would like to present a few last things here:

What Would An All Knowing Being Say?: I am going to give a hypothetical example of an all knowing being. If this being were to exist and we were to ask him whether the paranormal, soul, and afterlife is real or not rather than taking the words of skeptics and paranormal researchers, he might say something radical and unexpected. He might say that human beings limit themselves to their particular worldviews through their shortcut methods. From there, this being would give us the real answer as to whether those mystical phenomena exist or not.

I Will Not Fall Into Anyone's Trap. I Cannot Trust Humanity: My personality also plays a major role in my lack of trust in humanity. I am someone who really wants the eternal blissful afterlife of my dreams to be something real. Living forever in the blissful afterlife of my dreams would be the most profoundly beautiful and joyful existence for me. But skeptics would come along and tell me that I have every reason to think the afterlife and paranormal is all woo and bull crap. They would present their shortcut methods in order to try to convince me. They would attempt to trap me into their skeptical worldview (bubble).

But I do not fit into anyone's bubble or box. I am outside the box/bubble which means I cannot trust anybody. Another example would be fundamentalist Christians who would tell me that I have every reason to think hell is real and that I will go there unless I repent my sins. I would tell these Christians that I will not be fooled by their methods of trying to convince me of their worldview. I have this exact same mindset in regards to anybody making any given claim. This would even include people and researchers who claim that there is an eternal blissful afterlife for us all after we die even though this is something I really want to be true.

Dubious

Postby Dubious » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:35 am

Omniverse wrote:What Would An All Knowing Being Say?:

Only what our wishful thoughts would want it to say since there was none that ever spoke.

Omniverse wrote:I am someone who really wants the eternal blissful afterlife of my dreams to be something real. Living forever in the blissful afterlife of my dreams would be the most profoundly beautiful and joyful existence for me.

You're sure about that are you?

I recall a very old Rod Serling Twilight zone episode called "A nice place to visit", in which a low life crook died and all of a sudden woke up in the most beautiful surroundings. Hell was expected but not this! He had every wish fulfilled by an angel he assumed was there to serve him played by Sebastian Cabot. When he gamboled he never lost; when he wanted the company of beautiful women they were there. Everything he ever wanted was happening now in heaven and best of all it was never to stop... until he got so bored, disillusioned and disgusted with all that ceaseless bliss he begged to be sent to that "other place"; in reply Cabot with a really loud demonic laugh responded "Whatever gave you the idea you were in heaven? This is the 'other place'!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=sebastian+cabot+in+the+Twilight+Zone#id=3&vid=b1d01cd1e08ccb4efec8e18cfe882c35&action=view

Omniverse
Poster

Postby Omniverse » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:39 am

Dubious wrote:
Omniverse wrote:What Would An All Knowing Being Say?:

Only what our wishful thoughts would want it to say since there was none that ever spoke.

Omniverse wrote:I am someone who really wants the eternal blissful afterlife of my dreams to be something real. Living forever in the blissful afterlife of my dreams would be the most profoundly beautiful and joyful existence for me.

You're sure about that are you?

I recall a very old Rod Serling Twilight zone episode called "A nice place to visit", in which a low life crook died and all of a sudden woke up in the most beautiful surroundings. Hell was expected but not this! He had every wish fulfilled by an angel he assumed was there to serve him played by Sebastian Cabot. When he gamboled he never lost; when he wanted the company of beautiful women they were there. Everything he ever wanted was happening now in heaven and best of all it was never to stop... until he got so bored, disillusioned and disgusted with all that ceaseless bliss he begged to be sent to that "other place"; in reply Cabot with a really loud demonic laugh responded "Whatever gave you the idea you were in heaven? This is the 'other place'!

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=sebastian+cabot+in+the+Twilight+Zone#id=3&vid=b1d01cd1e08ccb4efec8e18cfe882c35&action=view

The only way I experience hell and boredom is through my negative (unpleasant) emotions. As long as I cannot feel any unpleasant emotions and only feel the blissful ones, then my life can never be hell or boring no matter what. It would always be a good and beautiful life for all of eternity.

Dubious

Postby Dubious » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:50 am

If heaven requires you to be brainwashed into a paralysis which only feels bliss may your wish come true.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts

Postby Poodle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Lotus-eaters might be jumping to conclusions.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu May 31, 2018 7:02 am

Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Kamil AKA and endless other sockpuppets wrote:The only way I experience hell and boredom is through my negative (unpleasant) emotions. As long as I cannot feel any unpleasant emotions and only feel the blissful ones, then my life can never be hell or boring no matter what. It would always be a good and beautiful life for all of eternity.

This is the same crap you have been posting for four years. You are simply a troll in the USA who posts the same crap story on endless forums and threatens to commit suicide, to get attention.

Omniverse AKA Matt MSV7 AKA Kamil AKA and endless other sockpuppets in 2015 wrote:If my own brain gives me problems of depression and anhedonia (absence of all my pleasant feelings/emotions), then I die. I will become ruthless, fierce, and take my own life right then and there just as how I would also become ruthless and fierce towards other people who give me problems.

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index ... ent-877173

Here is your stupid video from 2014.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LW2acdO7H4&index=2&list=PLyVYnRYQOpIpUFRVHm59-AhLlOIBl0V22

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Thu May 31, 2018 8:24 am

:wave: hi Matthew Ellard
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”