Don't feed the Trolls

How should we think about weird things?
Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Aztexan » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:42 pm

Guy asks dumb woman: Do you know the difference between a steak and a penis?
Dumb woman: No.
Guy: Would you like to have dinner with me?
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 pm

placid wrote:
Nikki Nyx wrote: Perhaps we might say we accept certain facts based on currently available evidence, with the option to revise our views should new evidence be discovered. Yikes. That's lengthy. Let's call it "skepticism." :mrgreen:
Lets call it delusion.
Er...no. "Delusion" doesn't fit the definition I described. At all.
Delusion: an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder.
The term does, however, fit your non-canonical version of Advaita Vedanta.

placid wrote:Where is the exact location (evidence) of this ''we'' thingy?
"We" is a language symbol known as a pronoun; it's used to refer to multiple individuals. You can find it here.

placid wrote:The I AM IS
Semantically nonsensical.
placid wrote:You are, I am.
By George, I think she's got it. Now, try he, she, it, we, and they.

placid wrote:How can that which IS I AM also be a skeptic?
By accepting facts based on currently available evidence, with the option to revise viewpoints should new evidence be discovered. I feel certain I've written these words before. Oh, look! I did. Right up there at the top of this post.

placid wrote:That's like YOU the I AM saying ..I AM a tree, or I AM a bird, or I AM a pizza, or I AM Nikki, or I AM placid.
No. No, it's really not like that at all. The only one of your examples I would ever say is, "I am Nikki." I am not now, nor have I ever been, a tree, a bird, a pizza, or Placid. Absent dementia, stroke, or traumatic brain injury, no circumstances will arise to cause me to say those things, never mind believe them.

placid wrote:The I AM has no concept of itself, nofacts, or images of itself, none are required. I AM is without doubt or error. It's THIS right here now one without a second.

But to say I AM a skeptic is a delusional error, because the concept is an invisible thought arising in I AM...the concept does not exist anywhere in reality whatsoever separate from the I AM ...except as a delusional piece of imagined belief.
It is the belief that manifests the invisible thought into a conceptual existence ... I AM doesn't do anything, it just watches and knows every belief as and when it arises.
Sorry, I don't subscribe to irrational religious beliefs a.k.a. made-up BS based on the fear of death, lack of self-esteem, and the resulting burning need to be "special" or "superior."
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Poodle wrote:
placid wrote:An accident is when consciousness says that should not have happened....but being that life cannot work in reverse...nothing / aka anything that happens cannot be an accident ...

Whoah - that's tortuous, even for you, placid. Let's see if I can understand this ...
You begin with "An accident is ..." so you are saying that accidents do exist. You go on to say "... nothing / aka anything that happens cannot be an accident ..." which is, after getting rid of the nonsense, says that there is no such thing as an accident. Cancelling out your IS with your ISN'T means you said absolutely nothing.
Situation normal, then.
That seems to be the whole idea behind her version of Advaita Vedanta: to force the equation to zero by randomly adding variables to each side. :roll:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:30 pm

placid wrote:I can drink you under the table poodle because you are so predictable.
Predictability of behavior is not valid data with which to predict alcohol tolerance.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Nikki Nyx » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:32 pm

placid wrote:
Poodle wrote: You have a memory. The evidence is right here on the forum.
Did you forget you are invisible, and only visible in the evidence aka the word?
You're invisible, Poodle? That's a wicked cool superpower!
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9595
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Poodle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 pm

I am invisible when pissed as a newt. My alter ego is The Wibbly Wobbly Shadow. Which is how I know that placid can't drink anyone under the table. But I do wonder why placid chose that particular challenge.



(No, I don't wonder that at all. Out of the mouths of babes ...).

Hang on - I had this problem in Australia. A newt is a tiny (and very cute) amphibian. I used to keep one. He was called My Newt.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28543
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:11 pm

placid wrote:The I AM is totally without substance.
You also don't know anything about Advaita.

placid wrote:Knowledge informs illusory reality.
Explain why Advaita UK has a book shop and library? :lol:
http://www.advaita.org.uk/library/library.html

Even funnier.... As all the original Advaita gurus are dead and can only be read through their books, are you admitting, you have never read a book by any Advaita guru? :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28543
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Matthew Ellard » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:26 pm

placid wrote:You're attempts to try and trip me up are pathetic.
So far it has worked well and generated heaps of laughs for us. :D

I enjoy your denial of books while real Advaita teachers sell books, that you are quoting from.

I enjoy your use of a computer while simultaneously denying electrons exists.

"Advaita Vedanta entails more than self-inquiry or bare insight into one's real nature, but also includes self-restraint, textual studies and ethical perfection. It is described in classical Advaita books like Shankara's Upadesasahasri and the Vivekachudamani, which is also attributed to Shankara."

"Self restraint" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:17 pm

Poodle wrote:I am invisible when pissed as a newt.
I had no idea newts were binge-drinkers. Huh. Learn something new every day.
Poodle wrote:Hang on - I had this problem in Australia. A newt is a tiny (and very cute) amphibian. I used to keep one. He was called My Newt.
Why not Isaac Newton?

In my yard, we've been privileged to watch baby red tail hawks grow to maturity. I always name them. The first one, naturally, was Stephen Hawking. The next was Screaming Jay Hawkins, which was exceptionally fitting. There's also been a Tony Hawk, a Hawkeye (M*A*S*H), and an Ethan Hawke (very emo). I'm running low on names, and may have dub the next one Larry Bird.
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Aztexan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Perhaps we can come up with an ad hawk committee to brainstorm some names for you
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11159
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:41 pm

I would be glad to chair it, I would be raptorous.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Aztexan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:50 pm

I prey we make the right choice.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11159
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:52 pm

We have the talon for it.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Aztexan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Owl start.
Damn this is falcon difficult.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Posts: 9595
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Regular sleeper
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Poodle » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:05 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
Poodle wrote:I am invisible when pissed as a newt.
I had no idea newts were binge-drinkers. Huh. Learn something new every day.
Poodle wrote:Hang on - I had this problem in Australia. A newt is a tiny (and very cute) amphibian. I used to keep one. He was called My Newt.
Why not Isaac Newton?

See, I got this completely wrong. The real story goes ... I have a pet newt. I call him Tiny. Because he's my newt.
I've never got that wrong before. Woe is me.

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Aztexan wrote:Perhaps we can come up with an ad hawk committee to brainstorm some names for you
Oh, that's a deliciously lovely pun, Az. :D
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Yes! I managed to shunt yet another thread into a pun contest. I feel eminently fulfilled. Carrion, ladies and gentlemen!
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Posts: 11159
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:35 pm
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby OlegTheBatty » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:50 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:Yes! I managed to shunt yet another thread into a pun contest. I feel eminently fulfilled. Carrion, ladies and gentlemen!

You can depund on us.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Aztexan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:16 pm

Sorry I got nothin else.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to punt.
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3159
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 am
Custom Title: cognitively consonant
Location: playing croquet in Wonderland

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Nikki Nyx » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Aztexan wrote:Sorry I got nothin else.
I'm afraid I'm going to have to punt.
No! Don't puncture my balloon! Punch back in and punctually present a pungent pun, you punk. :mrgreen:
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Posts: 21822
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:11 am
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:30 pm

We have trolls, and we have Dexter trolls. The Dexter trolls keep the real trolls around, making things worse, not better.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"

WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby mirror93 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:27 pm

So now, placid is a pizza? can we eat it and never see his posts again?
:paladin:

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Postby mirror93 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:13 am

placid wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
May suggest we restrict Placid's, beat poetry to one thread in the religion sub forum. That way their "wisdom" can be found in one thread rather than scattered all over the forum.

Placid is a critical thinker.
She has no idea where thoughts come from or what they look like but they seem real enough, so I guess she just has to act on them...it's critical that I act on these thoughts else I'm left thinking I might be just imagining the whole thought up out of nothing.

Matthew Ellard wrote:If they are not going answer questions, nor set out their claims in a coherent manner, and simply insult members. they really are just SINGING their various NON-religious propaganda.


Well you'd know all about that wouldn't you PARROT FACE


why do you refer to yourself in third person? do you really believe that by mentally separating yourself, making an imaginary barrier *inventing* a barrier between you and a 'self' you claim to be "placid" made up by you, will make you feel like that if you see mentally see yourself as if you are behind this imaginary barrier you just made up, you become the "real self", the one everyone here is blind of? Do you really believe in this childish religious crap?
:paladin:

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 23514
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Custom Title: something
Location: somewhere

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby scrmbldggs » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:31 am

Lonely?
.

Lard, save me from your followers.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:39 pm

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Aztexan » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:58 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
trump is Putin's bitch

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby mirror93 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:46 am

placid wrote:The teacher that teaches you are no one aka consciousness

and who told you that consciousness is synonymous for "no one" ???
:paladin:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28543
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby Matthew Ellard » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm

mirror93 wrote:.....and who told you that consciousness is synonymous for "no one" ???


If you click on Placid's name you can see the last time Placid looked at the forum.

Last active:Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Placid hasn't looked at any posts since February the 9th

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Don't feed the Trolls

Postby mirror93 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
mirror93 wrote:.....and who told you that consciousness is synonymous for "no one" ???


If you click on Placid's name you can see the last time Placid looked at the forum.

Last active:Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:30 pm

Placid hasn't looked at any posts since February the 9th


ok, I didn't notice
:paladin:

User avatar
mirror93
Poster
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:06 pm

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Postby mirror93 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:16 pm

placid wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:
May suggest we restrict Placid's, beat poetry to one thread in the religion sub forum. That way their "wisdom" can be found in one thread rather than scattered all over the forum.

Placid is a critical thinker.
She has no idea where thoughts come from or what they look like but they seem real enough, so I guess she just has to act on them...it's critical that I act on these thoughts else I'm left thinking I might be just imagining the whole thought up out of nothing.

Matthew Ellard wrote:If they are not going answer questions, nor set out their claims in a coherent manner, and simply insult members. they really are just SINGING their various NON-religious propaganda.


Well you'd know all about that wouldn't you PARROT FACE


well, since placid is back, I'll ask her more questions. I love debunking her stuff..
.....placid,why do you refer to yourself in third person? do you have existential crisis when using the word 'I' ?
:paladin:


Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest