What is Truth from the Skeptics Society Approach?

How should we think about weird things?
Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Re: What is Truth from the Skeptics Society Approach?

Postby Aztexan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:08 pm

I think the term is now called trumpisms. Speaking gibberish peppered with BS.
trump is Putin's bitch

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Postby Aztexan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:08 pm

Dammit!
trump is Putin's bitch

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: cognitively consonant

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:51 am

placid wrote:Was just trying to get the skeptic society what ever that is to show their approach and why they believe the adviata approach is incorrect
I addressed two quite long, thoughtful posts to you. You clearly didn't read them. Why ask for dialogue if you're not going to bother reading the response and answering it?
"An extraordinary claim requires extraordinary proof."—Marcello Truzzi

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:40 am

Adviata is a religious approach, which may give its adherents a bit of an emotional buzz. Apart from that, it is pointless. It is especially so when trying to determine what is true or not. Or in scientific terms, what ideas constitute strong models of reality.

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:Adviata is a religious approach, which may give its adherents a bit of an emotional buzz. Apart from that, it is pointless. It is especially so when trying to determine what is true or not. Or in scientific terms, what ideas constitute strong models of reality.

No it's not a religious approach.

Reality is not religious, it's an artificial construct imputed there by the mind.

Adviata approach is from direct experience into the nature of I

We all have the same I = Consciousness. Look how many times we use the word I when communicating with ourself and others, we never use our pet names do we.

There is no one to claim Consciousness. You are Consciousness.

If you want to believe that ''man the scientist'' is the doer of life, then that's fine, but what you call the ''human scientist'' I call the ''Consciousness''

Consciousness is doing everything. One shoe really does fit all.

Including making the world a safer and better place for humans to live, or what ever science aka consciousness cares to dream, so of course it's going to choose to have a good dream...that's the purpose of living, it's to live the dream.

Consciousness is the dreamer, the man is the dream, man is the action figure of consciousness to proceed with an action...there's no division whereby there exists a separate entity that can say ''I have consciousness'' ...that division is purely mental..it's appearing within consciousness itself ..not outside of it.

Claiming consciousness is how division manifests in the first place ...so I don't see how that can be a positive way to move forward and evolve as a human species in society ...we might think we are doing well with how far we've come compared to the past.. but it's no good if we are going to hold fast to the notion of a ( them V's us mentality)...albeit illusory.

But it's all history at the end of the day...dreams come and go..the sun will one day explode, and all this dream will be no more...all human striving gone in a puff of smoke.

Until the next dream comes along...and of course it'll strive to become a good one as consciousness becomes lucid in it's own dream appearing as an action figure, the real fictional character...who takes control of the dream.

That's what I believe....and you can believe what you believe too...it's all the same one dreaming difference where there is none.
Something clever should go here.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Silent Ork

Postby Gord » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:40 pm

Nikki Nyx wrote:
placid wrote:Was just trying to get the skeptic society what ever that is to show their approach and why they believe the adviata approach is incorrect

I addressed two quite long, thoughtful posts to you. You clearly didn't read them. Why ask for dialogue if you're not going to bother reading the response and answering it?

Placid doesn't want actual answers, just whatever's in his head, so nothing you type that is not a direct quote from something he's already written will do.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE

placid
Frequent Poster

Postby placid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:37 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote: We didn't go to yours.

I thought forums were open houses for any one to post on.
I can go where the heck I like on the internet, who died and made you He-man master of the universe to say I'm on the wrong forum.?
Your welcome to come and join in with the Advaita conversations any time you want. No one is excluded.

I came here to talk and all I got was abuse, so I'm just giving as good as I get.
It's always a bit difficult to believe against the mob view, perhaps if the people here didn't use such brutal mob mentality we could maybe, and this is just a maybe all get along.

placid
Frequent Poster

Re: Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Postby placid » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Gustaave told us we can't eat onions or garlic or tea or coffee.
Gustaave demanded we chant Hari Hari Hari Hari at the end of each meal.

This is more to do with culture than Advaita.

It is when humans turn the truth of Advaita into a God or a Religion or a Cult Following is when all the confusion arises.

The Advaita message is just a pointing - pointing no one back to source and that's it. That's all there is to it, it's nothing to do with Gods and cults and religions...these are just silly beliefs. They have nothing to do with what Advaita is actually about.

Like all knowledge, it's totally open to interpretation. Science is already compatible with the Advaita knowledge, and that is why I say we speak the same things ..just in different ways.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Postby Nikki Nyx » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:58 pm

placid wrote:I came here to talk and all I got was abuse...
Again, I wrote two long, thoughtful answers to you, which you've thus far ignored. Here and here. I can only conclude that you're more interested in shit-posting than actual discussion.

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."—Christopher Hitchens

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:22 pm

The basic underlying factor that turns a belief system into a religion is blind faith. If you believe something because you simply choose to believe it, that is religion. Theravada Buddhism has no deity, but is still a religion for the reason I gave. So is Advaita. Of course, so can lots of other belief systems be, including political beliefs. If there is no rational, data based, reason to believe, then it is blind faith and is religious.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:19 am

placid wrote: No it's not a religious approach.
Advaita is 100% religious.

You do not know what Advaita is because you never studied it. Advaita requires that you study under a Advaita teacher. You are a total fraud trolling to get attention.
:lol:

Advaita costume.jpg

You give yourself away all the time, by using the words "I" and "you" while simultaneously claiming there is no "I" or "you". You don't believe any part of the Advaita religion yourself. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Debunk Advaita Vedanta Religion

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:22 am

Matthew Ellard wrote: You came to our science forum. We didn't go to your Advaita forum.
placid wrote: I thought forums were open houses for any one to post on.

The Skeptic Society's motto is "Promoting Science and Critical thinking" not spamming religious bull-shit. :lol:

Do you go to a German language forum and post in French? Nope, only a total idiot, would do that. So,
when on a science forum you speak using scientific terminology and not in Advaita bull-shit terminology.
:lol:

Matthew Ellard
Real Skeptic

Advaita Religion VS Science

Postby Matthew Ellard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 am

Advainta VS Science
Placid claims that the Advaita religion and science are one and the same thing. This is total crap for the following reasons.

Science, by using the scientific method can make predictions. We know that the half life of Uranium-234 is 25 thousand years. We can power nuclear reactors with this knowledge.

The Advaita religion denies that anything is real and "the sum of all observing consciousnesses" creates an image of the world that we think is real. Placid, himself denies electrons, atoms, photons, that allow for half life decay exist at all! :shock:

However no human can see nuclear decay as observers. Science detects and measures nuclear decay through a systematic application of working hypotheses that are tested. However, according to the Advaita religion, as no conscious observes nuclear decay, nuclear decay does not exist. This is clearly religious bull-shit as there are nuclear power stations. :D

Why the Advaita Religion is Worthless
Advaita, by its own definition, cannot predict anything. It denies any rules exist in the physical universe, as it denies the physical universe exists.

I have been reading modern Advaita lessons and the Advaita teachers now state that the real world is indeed real and Advaita is merely another religious way of thinking about it. This "update" to the religion had to take place to allow the religion's followers to use computers, the internet, and any form of technology. It would be too hypocritical for Advaita to deny electrons existed, while people were buying electronic versions of Advaita books. :lol:

Who trained Placid
I now ask Placid for the fourth time. Under which Advaita teacher did you study Advaita? (It is clear to me that Placid has never studied Advaita and is making up his posts as he goes.)

Advaita Teachers UK.jpg

Advaita costume 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Poodle
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Regular sleeper

Re: Advaita Religion VS Science

Postby Poodle » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:38 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:... It is clear to me that Placid has never studied Advaita and is making up his posts as he goes.

It's clear to me that you'd be extremely hard put to find a single word of truth about anything at all in placid's posts. I find her latest claims intensely distasteful.

Nikki Nyx
Persistent Poster

Re: Advaita Religion VS Science

Postby Nikki Nyx » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:12 pm

Poodle wrote:
Matthew Ellard wrote:... It is clear to me that Placid has never studied Advaita and is making up his posts as he goes.
It's clear to me that you'd be extremely hard put to find a single word of truth about anything at all in placid's posts. I find her latest claims intensely distasteful.
It seems to combine the worst aspects of nihilism and solipsism into a cognitively dissonant set of beliefs.

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”