"Feminist scientist" is an oxymoron.

How should we think about weird things?
TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: "Feminist scientist" is an oxymoron.

Postby TJrandom » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:14 pm

Lance Kennedy wrote:Bobbo

Simple.
My argument has not been refuted.
You guys have pointed out, repeatedly, that there are other factors involved in rape. Sure. No denials here. But they are not common to all rapes. The one thing common to all rapes is sexual, a penis thrust into a vagina. Guess what, genius ? That is sex.

So did you have a point about rape? Something learned? A new direction in prevention or punishment? Some other meaningful insight?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 pm

TJ

More an insight about you guys. How people convinced by politically correct crap can continuously delude themselves.

Incidentally, experience with chemical castration backs me up.
Chemical castration (probably a misleading phrase) is drugs that reduce male libido. Certain places force convicted sexual criminals to take this treatment (usually an injection every 3 months) to prevent reoffending. It has been reported that pedophiles who receive this treatment have a reoffending rate of 2 to 5% compared to 50% for those who do not get the treatment.

If a drug treatment reducing sex drive is effective in reducing sexual offending, then it follows that the sexual offending is caused by the sex drive.

Io
Poster

Postby Io » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:06 am

Mmm hmm. Ok hun.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:22 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:... If a drug treatment reducing sex drive is effective in reducing sexual offending, then...

(emphasis added)

Careful there Lance... sexual offending includes a whole lot more than your limited definition of rape... Are you sure you want to open that can of worms in your argument?

Bummer that you seem to have learned nothing about rape.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:37 am

TJ

It is you that has learned nothing.

Sexual offending as a term INCLUDES rape. It is caused by the sex drive. Case proven.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:46 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:TJ

It is you that has learned nothing.

Sexual offending as a term INCLUDES rape. It is caused by the sex drive. Case proven.

R I G H T.... broomstick to the comatose old lady when changing the bedpan... sex drive motivated. Only in the world of Lance.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 am

I am still really puzzled by the inability of you to see the obvious. A guy with no sex drive does not rape. A eunuch does not rape. A man on appropriate libido killing drugs does not rape. An asexual does not rape. Only those with an active sex drive carry out rapes. The vast majority of rape victims are between 12 and 34, the sexy years. Yet the blind refuse to see that the sex drive is what drives rapes.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:00 am

Lance - you must have missed my last post... but now that I have called your attention to it, please tell me why you think a guy in this situation molests... mainly sex drive or mainly something else?

R I G H T.... broomstick to the comatose old lady when changing the bedpan... sex drive motivated. Only in the world of Lance.

And while you are at it, don`t you think it rather rude to state that I have learned nothing from this thread? At least I asked if you had. FYI, Nikki`s posts were most informative, as were some others, and I suspect even a few of yours, thougfh I would need to look back at them. For example, from you I learned the restrictive definition of rape, which I previously believed included use of objects.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:41 am

TJ

To be frank, I have learned nothing from you guys. Long before this thread began, I read up on the subject, so I was well aware of the various, and often weird ways rapists get sexually aroused. But the point is that they DO get sexually aroused, and that is what leads to rape.

If you think talking of broomsticks carries enlightenment, you will have to be more detailed. So far, what you said makes zero sense.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:49 am

Lance - you raised it when you accidentally tripped off to sexual offending instead of rape.

I am not at all surprised that you say that you learned nothing. It seems to be a pattern with you - tracking across several of your threads. It seems to be simple bullheaded stubbornness, bordering on the ridiculous – a rather serious character flaw IMO.

But don`t answer our various questions – again a pattern of stubbornness.

It seems others have tired, and I have too...

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:07 pm

Well, show a little sense, then. The refusal to accept that a sex crime is based on sex is just crazy.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:28 am

Let me tell you guys the story of Dr. Robert Millikan. Early 20th century.
He was a very great man. American experimental physicist. A man of high moral character.

Albert Einstein came up with a quantum explanation for the photo electric effect. Millikan did not believe it. Because he was an expert experimenter, he set out to prove Einstein wrong. He did this with meticulously designed and rigorously carried out experiments. He found, though, that Einstein was, in fact, totally correct. Because Millikan was, in fact, a great scientist, and of the highest moral fiber, he wrote his own paper detailing his results, and admitting fault. He said that he was wrong and Einstein was right.

The ultimate in rational behaviour is to do what Millikan did. Saying " I was wrong, and you were right " is the mark of a person who is not just rational but of great character.

It is therefore, interesting, that I get into an argument with Io, Nikki, TJ, and Bobbo, which goes on at great length until I remember a key point which essentially PROVES my point beyond any reasonable doubt. But instead of doing the noble thing, as Millikan did, my debate opponents simply sneak off without any acknowledgement. There is a word to describe such behaviour, but Pyrrho might object if I used it.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:46 am

Wut??????????????????????

Ha, ha.........totally rotating off your nut there Lance......so "fixated" you are. You have provided no "proof", no link, no confirming authority whereas your opponents have done that all and more.

The example of Millikan is the example that YOU refuse to follow. More than any other psychological theory, I have studied Freud in undergrad. He is famous for preaching that "everything" comes down to sex.......but he wrote a few monographs where he mused that humans are complex and not ruled by "single issues." He even recognized that a theory based on observing only the sick people that came to his practice has a particular "slant" that might have given his views a twist. This is ironic.......as in this current subject.......what we are talking about IS the exception of the psychologically unbalanced. ............................ aka: "if" I raped a woman, it would be because of my sex drive...... as best as I can imagine. but I'm not a psycho that rapes.

Skepticism: even with a winning argument, not standing pat to the point of ridiculing those who have concluded otherwise WHO HAVE a supporting argument/line of thought/philosophy.

................................................. try it.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Io
Poster

Postby Io » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:46 am

By all means, jump to the conclusion that the fact that no-one is replying any more is a result of you winning and everyone else slinking off in embarrassment. If it makes you happy, then splendid.
In reality no-one wants to talk to you any more because you're a lost cause and have proved that you just won't engage.
If I'm not being heard, why should I talk?
If you have to resort to shaming people to get them on your side, you've lost.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:48 am

I agree. ................. why waste the pearls?
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Io
Poster

Postby Io » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:59 am

Also, Lance comparing himself to Einstein is a bit rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:01 am

Ha, ha........quite right. Math has "proofs." Everything else is an argument.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:54 am

Lance - wow, just wow! Wtf? I mean really, WTF?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:41 am

In science, ideas are tested by making a prediction and testing that prediction. I predicted that, if rape is driven by the sex drive, rape victims would be in their young and sexy years. Mostly that is correct. 70% between 12 and 34.

What I had overlooked is the prediction that a man with a reduced sex drive would not rape. But that is now shown to be true.

Eunuchs do not rape.
Asexuals do not rape.
Men who are old enough for their sex drive to fade do not rape.

And now, the thing I overlooked, is the use of drugs (chemical castration) to reduce or eliminate the sex drive. Even serial rapists and serial pedophiles who are released from prison and under this drug treatment do not rape.

My case has been proven. It is now up to the debate opponents to show they can rise above their pride, and admit being wrong. My prediction is that they lack the moral fiber to do that.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:01 am

No Lance - it isn`t up to anyone here to prove you wrong - again. You have ignored all lines of discussion. You haven`t answered questions. You haven`t posted links to support your position. You have ignored links posted by others.

Lance, you are as slippery as an eel, stubborn as a mule and blind as a bat. It is you who is a`wallowin in your pride. The thread is still here for anyone to look through and form their own opinion. Just let it die.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:10 am

Deep sigh.

TJ

You are just too stubborn. The fact is that I have been correct all along, and you have been wrong. The final evidence is the simple fact that rapists on drugs to suppress the sex drive do not commit rape. (Well, no drug is perfect. But the recidivism goes from at least 20% down to about 2%. I have tried to get accurate data, but different accounts give different rates of recidivism, ranging from 20% up to 75%. However, several accounts of recidivism of those on the drugs do agree at 2% to 5%.)

The evidence is totally clear, deny it all you will. Rapists who lose their sex drive (mostly ) stop raping. The basis of rape is the sex drive.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:18 am

Just let it die Lance, just let it die. Please don`t embarrass yourself any more.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:10 am

No embarassment on my behalf, TJ.

You should, however, be very, very embarrassed. Not only have you been totally and completely wrong, but you and your cohorts have been so utterly lacking in couth as to refuse to admit being wrong. Shame on you all.

When the evidence comes along to show you are wrong, the correct thing to do is admit it. But that takes moral fiber.

Io
Poster

Postby Io » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 am

I know you see yourself as some lone crusader pioneering reality against the clueless masses of sheep-like morons who fail to see the enlightened truth of your scholarly musings, but stop. Seriously. Please. Stop. Both parties, you and 'us' have the same view of each other - intractability and unable to see what's in front of them.
No-one will win this argument and you're starting to seem very much like a troll.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:56 pm

Yet you refuse to accept the evidence. That makes you seem like an irrational idiot.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 pm

Lance......c'mon......you don't have any "evidence." Just your OWN CONCLUSIONS...not backed up by any authority. Your purported proof of causation by showing the age of the victims doesn't cut it at all.

Really. Tell us the truth: you're just goofing on us for the heck of it..................right? Self Mockery can be the high summit of humility....but you've taken it too far, and back.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:39 am

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/s ... ophiliacs-

Evidence sufficient to demonstrate my thesis is correct beyond reasonable doubt.

The age of rape victims is confirmation, but the biggest evidence that the sex drive the ultimate cause of rape is that those rapists who have their sex drive removed no longer rape.

Even serial rapists who are placed onto a course of libido suppressing drugs stop raping. In an article on the subject I just read, one ex rapist reported he no longer even THOUGHT about it.

Pedophile rapists with a reported recidivism rape of 50% (according to one source) placed on those drugs ended up with 2 to 5% reoffending, as shown in the reference above.

If removing the sex drive also removes the tendency to rape (which it mostly does), that is very powerful evidence that the sex drive lies behind the tendency to rape.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:13 am

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 132241.htm

I need to add a rider to the reference in my post above. It includes a fallacy. Recent work as in my reference in this post shows that testosterone does not cause aggression. And so the anti libido drugs, which suppress testosterone, do not reduce aggression. Some of the technical papers have not yet caught up on this finding.

Mara
Poster

Postby Mara » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:32 am

I have had an unfortunate experience of working for a feminist organisation (I am a female myself to point out).

The 'most experienced' workers there would skew every fact to fit into feminism theory (mind you, there is no definite version of it).

I was required to attend training on feminism where the coordinator of the service was preaching to us that if women were in power (globally) there would not be global warming. They believe that men/males are primitive animals derived from chimpanzees through evolution theory hence their 'inner maleness', but women... well women, are basically those feminine angels without any of the primate characteristics - THIS TRULLY IS THE FOUNDATION OF FEMINISM.

Feminists do not recognise that women are also just human animals illustrating anger, jealousy, sexual desires, viciousness, greed, power and controlling behaviour - If you point to the feminists cases of women representing such behaviour, they respond in a convenient manner by saying that women engage in such behaviour only because they copy men, in order to survive in the men's world, but that is not who they truly are.

Workers in that organisation were allied health professionals who believed that if a male commits suicide there is no need to take any responsibility or worry about duty of care because men take their own lives (permanently I want to point out) only and only to 'punish women' as the women (in that men's life) will be left suffering in pain of loss and guilt - they see men's suicide as their ultimate and final act of power abuse.

Feminism is one of the most unscientific modalities there are. It's basically a cult.

The organisation exists today, receives government funding and hundred of students are being placed on practicums there. Nobody seems to be able to do anything about it. True story.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:53 am

Mara: your experience is only one form of feminism........and it looks rather "definite" to me.

There are other competing forms of definite feminism, each with their pros and cons. Don't buy into that which you disagree.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:04 pm

That is what I referred to as extreme feminism. There is, of course, rational feminism as well, which by contrast, is good and progressive.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:54 pm

Say lance: is extreme feminism driven by rational feminism, or by something else?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Bobbo

Extreme feminism is, by my definition, a religion and carries the baggage of religions.

Admittedly, this definition is not in the dictionaries, and I admit it is one I use personally. The thing is that I realised a long time ago that a religion does not have to have a deity. There is one religion with no deity that is widely accepted by the authorities as a religion, and that is Theravada Buddhism. However, my thinking was that if one system of belief with no deity could be called a religion , so could others. So what unites all religions, if belief in deity does not ?

My answer was blind faith. Believing in something with no data to back up that belief, or even in the face of data that contradicts that belief. A bit like believing that rape has nothing to do with sex, in spite of the data that shows drugs that remove the sex drive also remove rape as a behaviour.

So a religion is a system of belief based on blind faith instead of data. Extreme feminism fits that definition. So the answer to your question is that extreme feminism is driven by the same human behaviour that drives all other religions. Definitely not rational thinking !

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:50 pm

Gee Lance: besides making up your own language to cover your position, you engage in the blind faith of data, even when the concept does not apply. ................................... Amusing.

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:22 am

Yes, Bobbo. But at least I am honest enough to admit I am using my own definition. By the way, most definitions of religion involve a deity or deities, which is clearly inaccurate, since some religions do not involve deities. To cover that omission , I offer an alternative. You can disagree if you like. But if you understand my definition, even if you disagree, then you will understand why I consider beliefs not backed by data to be essentially religious.

Your lunatic belief that sex crimes have nothing to do with sex is a good example of a totally ridiculous blind faith belief.

I accept good data as the best basis for belief. There is no better basis.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:24 am

Yes Lance........but what does using your own definitions........."mean"?

.....and why turn "a belief system" into a religion? What do you gain???

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:33 am

What I gain is a way to think about religions, which I think has merit. You may disagree, and that is your prerogative. But my view is that defining religion as a belief system based on blind faith permits me to look at other belief systems, not normally defined as religions, and see the similarities. Thus, I can consider extremist views, whether communist, capitalist, environmentalist, feminist, or whatever, and consider them as religions. That understanding helps me to see the serious flaws in extremist, blind faith based ideas.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Postby bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:13 am

No Lance: what are you gaining over recognizing the system as based on blind faith?

Lance Kennedy
True Skeptic

Postby Lance Kennedy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:31 am

I do not understand that question.

TJrandom
Has More Than 8K Posts

Postby TJrandom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:06 am

Lance Kennedy wrote:I do not understand that question.
Neither did I...

Return to “Skepticism and Critical Thinking”